HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What's with the Marc Staal hate?

Old
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Yup, Staal is by far the best defenseman on the Rangers, but if you look at his competition, it's easy to see why. I'd like to think he's one of the Top Defensemen Under 25 in the league, but I can see why some people wouldn't.
I dunno, how many defensemen under 25 anchored a playoff team's blueline as its #1 defender?

Quote:
Our Atlantic Division rivals always give Staal the utmost respect. When I lurk on our rival boards, Devils and Islanders fans usually give Staal his due...
This says it all to me. These guys see Marc more often, and are our rivals, thus having absolutely no reason to make him out to be any better than he is.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:45 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Didn't you hear? Claiming watching hockey for 50 years and posting on these boards automatically means you know more about properly evaluating talent than NHL scouts and players.

And if you play for the Rangers? Automatically overrated or crap. And our goaltender is only good because of his pads!!!

Some of the stuff that is said on these boards is laughable at best. Just take it with a grain of salt.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
Who cares.. Rangers fans know exactly how important Staal is to the future of this team. Down the road, when the Rangers have one of the best up and coming defense corps in the NHL(led by Staal), those who put him down will be eating their words..

Staal*Girardi*McDonagh*Del Zotto*Gilroy*Sanguinetti*
I gurantee you, that group of 6 defenders will never, ever suit up in a Ranger jersey at the same time during a regular season game.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:46 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
Staal is a good man. If his name wasn't Staal he wouldn't be in the top 10 d men under 25.
That is not a bash just a fact.
I actually like the Staal-Girardi pairing , hope they get the opportunity to grow this season.
No its your opinion.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:52 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I dunno, how many defensemen under 25 anchored a playoff team's blueline as its #1 defender?
I think you're kind of proving my point here.

A defenseman under 25 shouldn't be anchoring a playoff team's blueline as it top defender.

Detroit has Lidstrom, Pitt has Gonchar, Anaheim has Neidermayer, Boston has Chara, etc.

I think Staal is an excellent defenseman. But part of the reason he is our #1 is because everyone else sucks.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:04 PM
pwoz

Staal should focus mainly on shutting down the opposition. If he can get more points in the process, great, but we need more defensive d-men. Our farm is stocked with offensive d-men, but not many are known for the shut-down role.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I think you're kind of proving my point here.

A defenseman under 25 shouldn't be anchoring a playoff team's blueline as it top defender.

Detroit has Lidstrom, Pitt has Gonchar, Anaheim has Neidermayer, Boston has Chara, etc.

I think Staal is an excellent defenseman. But part of the reason he is our #1 is because everyone else sucks.
While it may be true that the rest of our defense was less than stellar last season, I would argue that the very fact that he was capable of anchoring the blueline puts him well ahead of 90% of d-men under 25 (the issue being discussed).

While it may be true that he shouldn't have had to do it, he did, and did a damn good job of it, too (IMO). I would say that puts him in the category being discussed.

Old
09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
Staal is a good man. If his name wasn't Staal he wouldn't be in the top 10 d men under 25.
That is not a bash just a fact.
I actually like the Staal-Girardi pairing , hope they get the opportunity to grow this season.
That's not a fact, that's a poorly informed opinion. Top 50 offensive defenseman under 25? Not even getting a sniff of that list.

Top 10 all around? He's has to be on it.

The 'problem' with Staal is he doesn't make sexy plays like a diving swipe of the puck or a huge hit by skating from one end of the rink to the other. He doesn't do these things because he doesn't have to. Because he is in the proper position. Because he is smart. He does his job efficiently. No need for the Malakhov dive from behind to save a breakaway. There was a reason that Malakhov was so good at that play... he had tons of practice because he always got burned and turned around.

Staal isn't getting respect because it's hard to appreciate the subtle things that he does so well, things that many veterans have a weak grasp on. When it comes to young defensemen you can have your Mike Greens who can score 9 games in row but get shredded up in his own end. Or you can have a Marc Staal who usually gets the best of most anyone he meets one on one but rarely contributes offensively.

There's roughly 210 defensemen to follow in this league on a yearly basis. It's impossible to track even a specific segment thoroughly. The easy way is through stats. It's a part of the story, but not the whole story. It's not the turnovers or the poke checks. It's not the blown coverages or the pass from the edge of the crease to the teammate on the blueline.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:51 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Because he doesn't pump out Youtube highlights.
I agree with you but I just wanted an excuse to post this video.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 05:55 PM
ThirdEye

I think Staal will put up decent offensive numbers in the coming years. He had only 15 points last season, but he played for one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and did not play on the PP for 95% of the season. Hence why his +/- isn't that great also

I think he will get 25 points this season because we have better finishers. Now if he can get some PP time and make use of it, 30-35 points is not out of the question imo. But whether or not he can learn how to be effective on the PP is yet to be determined. His puck handling skills need to improve

I think we'll find out this season what kind of player he will be in the future moreso than the previous two. But that's obvious

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 06:31 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think Staal will put up decent offensive numbers in the coming years. He had only 15 points last season, but he played for one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and did not play on the PP for 95% of the season. Hence why his +/- isn't that great also

I think he will get 25 points this season because we have better finishers. Now if he can get some PP time and make use of it, 30-35 points is not out of the question imo. But whether or not he can learn how to be effective on the PP is yet to be determined. His puck handling skills need to improve

I think we'll find out this season what kind of player he will be in the future moreso than the previous two. But that's obvious
I think the biggest factor in whether or not he becomes competent as a 2nd PP guy will be whether or not he can get his shot up to snuff.

Old
09-18-2009, 07:16 PM
ecemleafs

because we were an easy team to hate from 98-2005, but now we are on the same playing field as everyone us so naturally the bitter spastics turned there hate to our players and our most highly rated player. hes an easy target because of his name and because he doesnt put up the points for the stat guys.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Jxmarts

I always thought Marc Staal could become the next Rod Langway. And although he has a ways to go yet, I still believe it's quite possible.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I gurantee you, that group of 6 defenders will never, ever suit up in a Ranger jersey at the same time during a regular season game.
Oh my gosh, I don't expect them to all make up one team's entire defense.. I'm simply saying that the Rangers definitely have some QUALITY defensive prospects to mold a great top six. To be honest, out of that group, I only envision Staal, McDonagh, and Del Zotto to be around long term.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:20 AM
bumrusherer

The coaches and scouts always seem to say nice things about him. Like Dubinsky and Cally, he is one of the Rangers that I have always found that people like and wouldnt mind on their teams.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:50 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
Who cares.. Rangers fans know exactly how important Staal is to the future of this team. Down the road, when the Rangers have one of the best up and coming defense corps in the NHL(led by Staal), those who put him down will be eating their words..

Staal*Girardi*McDonagh*Del Zotto*Gilroy*Sanguinetti*
Their nickname will be the Non Physicals.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:55 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Their nickname will be the Non Physicals.
they arent any less physical than our d core now. but that group actually has offesnive potential.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
By non-Ranger fans. Everyone loves to hate on the Rangers. I've read posts lately where guys mention the worst contracts in the league and someone Gomez is now being left off the list...lol.
Yup plus the fact that he now plays in Montreal too. If he played in Toronto he would probably be considered a bargain.

As for Staalsy. I know some people on here overrate him abit (and that's understandable) but I can't believe where all the hate for Staal is coming from at other boards. If Staal ends up being as good as we think he will, he'll be hated more than Dion Phaneuf - and that guy is universally hated on here.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote