HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nr 1 priority for Glen Sather...

Old
09-19-2009, 10:53 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Redden can de facto be dumped in the AHL. Why should we worry about our rep if the option is to suck anyway?

Redden have 5 years left.

Its comes down to:
Sucking (or beeing handicapped severely) for 5 years vs. bad rep for like x amount of years.

Id go with the later.

Drury? Salt the deal. Pick up some salary in return. Then it can be done. We de facto had a offer on the table for Drury at the deadline -- in principle Ryan Smyth for Chris Drury. Now Smyth makes 6m per so that wouldn't have helped us much, but Avs were actually able to deal Smyth to LA for Pressinger. LA didn't need Pressinger and he were due to make 3m per on a multi year deal. So in reality LA only picked up 3m of Smyth's contract.

Like lets there is a team out there who really wants to get rid of a stay at home vet D making 3m per. If that team took on Drury they would only take on 4m, like LA with Smyth.

Like lets say for example that Scott Hannan have a tough year in Colorado this season, the Avs ends up sucking and Hannan and their coach can't stand each other. Nobody wants to pick up Hannans 4.5m. We deal Drury with 2 years and 7m along with like a good prospect/pick per for Hannan and his 4.5m for 1 year. And we just cuts ties with Wade Redden by dumping him in the AHL.

Then we would save 9m of cap space. We would have all the room in the world to resign Marc Staal (who very well could get a 5-6m offersheet as a RFA) to a good longterm deal. We could bring back Chris Higgins who otherwise surely will be lost. And spend the rest on a real 1st line center. By a trade if nothing else if nobody wants to sign here. Like we will have assets that we can move for the right player. Like every year there is a 1st line center changing teams. Its impossible to give a good example now, because what makes sense in 8-10 month could be laughed at today. But lets say that for some reason a fist line center like Anze Kopitar/Tim Connoley/Eric Staal/Jan Statsny/Pavel Datsyuk/Mikko Koivu/Jason Spezza is available -- we could put together a very strong offer with the prospects and young players we have. Like from guys like Anisimov to Grachev, Callahan to Dubinsky, Kreider to MDZ and picks.
This is all much easier said than done.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Chimp

The upcoming roles for our "star" players...

Chris Drury: Captain Ca$h will lead our offense... err... play the second line lead himself on the 3rd line, creating zip for himself nor his teammates, and hope his 3rd line forwards are talented enough to let him get some easy points. Oh, who are we kidding, his hopes to get points to pad his stats come on the PP. His offensive creativity will be to score about 3 goals with nice slapshots, that's it. A 3rd line center with "intangibles" for $7 mil. Not bad. And oh, I wonder if his faceoff percentage will decline even further this year? Or if he will do such bad (for a supposedly defensive forward) mistakes in the defensive zone this season again?

Wade Redden: Mr. Dreaden will try not to look embarrassingly awful out there. Even if he had a $700k contract. Good luck Mr. Dreaden.

Rozsival: Rosie will try to not look more awful than his D mate. He hopes to not **** up on the blueline on the PP. Oh, who are we kidding?

We have $11.5 million tied up in two defensemen and we are desperately searching among our kids for some D-men to play the PP. How incredibly pathetic isn't that? We have a $7m franchise captain who is not good at particulary anything and is outperformed the second we put a kid with at least a whim of talent in the lineup. Great. Wait, did I just say Drury is talentless? Yeah, I think I just did.

What a piece of art I just found. It's called THE BROKEN TRIO

Asking price? Oh, about $18,6 million to have it stand on a table in your house. Per year. What is it good for, you ask? Well... at least you could hope it won't do anything bad?

Last edited by Chimp: 09-20-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:22 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The upcoming roles for our "star" players...

Chris Drury: Captain Ca$h will lead our offense... err... play the second line lead himself on the 3rd line, creating zip for himself nor his teammates, and hope his 3rd line forwards are talented enough to let him get some easy points. His offensive creativity will be to score about 3 goals with nice slapshots, that's it. A 3rd line center with "intangibles" for $7 mil. Not bad. And oh, I wonder if his faceoff percentage will decline even further this year? Or if he will do such bad (for a supposedly defensive forward) mistakes in the defensive zone this season again?

Wade Redden: Mr. Dreaden will try not to look embarrassingly awful out there. Good luck Mr. Dreaden.

Rozsival: Rosie will try to not look more awful than his D mate. He hopes to not **** up on the blueline on the PP. Oh, who are we kidding?

We have $11.5 million tied up in two defensemen and we are desperately searching among our kids for some D-men to play the PP. How incredibly pathetic isn't that? We have a $7m franchise captain who is not good at particulary anything and is outperformed the second we put a kid with at least a whim of talent in the lineup. Great. Wait, did I just say Drury is talentless? Yeah, I think I just did.

What a piece of art I just found. It's called THE BROKEN TRIO

Asking price? Oh, about $18,6 million to have it stand on a table in your house. Per year.
Could you imagine, just for a minute if those three weren't on the team, and we had $18.6 million dollars in cap to play with?

We'd be contending for the cup.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Yes, we know they're overpaid, but we need them until a couple of prospects step up to prove they're #1 center and #1 dman capable.
I know they could be useful at $1.5m each.

I know they are hard to trade with their present contracts.

But if a GM can trade one or both, he must do it. Would losing 2 vets hurt us in the immediate future?Yes.

Would it blow a bad hole on defense and at center?

Would our rookies have a hard time replacing theses guys with top minutes? Yes.

Would it place our playoff run in danger? Yes.

But the long term benefits would be so great, it would be worth it. We could sign Kovalchuk next summer and still have money let over to re-sign our own free agents.

Plus, next year AA will be ready to be a second line center and Stepan a third line. With Kovalchuk and dmen rookies in place ofDrury, Redden and Rosie, we would be the hot young team in the league.

Instead, we are stuck with these terrible contracts.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:58 AM
pete3589

I think after this year we will see something happen on the Drury/Redden front if our younger players really step up and our vets decline.

If you look at it, getting rid of them (either through buy out or sending them to the minors) at the end of last season would have left our team with way too many question marks. At the end of this season, if our young players step up and play well, while Drury and Redden disappoint, do you think Torts is going to be just fine with that? Especially when the Rangers are one of the few teams who can deal with this situation through buyouts or waivers, I can see it happening.

pete3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:11 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Could you imagine, just for a minute if those three weren't on the team, and we had $18.6 million dollars in cap to play with?

We'd be contending for the cup.
Really? I never heard that cap space can score goals. And there weren't many free agents to throw that money at worth it this offseason. Especially no 1st line center or PP QB.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:26 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Yup, we're doomed. We're screwed forever. Sather needs to be crucified.

What about the talented stable of young prospects he has assembled? Perhaps the biggest and best in the NHL?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

What about the talented stable of young prospects he has assembled? Perhaps the biggest and best in the NHL?
That's debatable. At this point, there isn't a single forward that is sure to be a star in our system.

And this prospect pool, which hasn't accomplished anything yet, is just starting to come around 10 years into the man's tenure. 10 years during which the team was either awful or mediocre, and during which he blew several opportunities at getting the aforementioned star forward prospect.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Ola- I agree with a lot of what you post here...But getting rid of Chris Drury I don't agree with at all.

Drury is a winner, and a true leader in every sense of the word. He may not be the flasy 70point guy you might think you are getting with a 7 million dollar contract, but being overpaid to me is Chgris Drury's only downside. Takes a lot for a captain to keep players in line here in NY. Not being here on a regular basis may seem hard to understand, but this is a city that has a tendency to chew up and spit out hockey players. There are far too many destractions here. On top of that there are far too many reclamation porjects here that could easily be swayred off the right path. To me this is where Drury is going to earn his keep. Drury to me is the perfect candidate to keep this room under wraps. So, while I agree that contact is a bit much, there are two other contracts here that are far worse that Chis Drury when looking at the big picture. And potentialy three considering the clubs newest member has the history of injury he does in his relatively short career. The other two contracts of Roszival's and Reddens. $11.5 million dollars...Think about this. 11.5 million is close to what Toronto actually pays for Komisarek, Kaberle, and Beauchemin! Imagine that? ...Or how bout this...For almost the same money Kevin Bieska, Christian Ehrhoff, and Willie Mitchell? Of how about this...Neidermeyer and Whitney? ...Point I am making is, again I realise he is somewhat overpaid...but the two moves that MUST be made are these two mutts on defense. Not the captain who can earn the money in other aspects of the game whivch would be his leadership on and off the ice.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:31 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That's debatable. At this point, there isn't a single forward that is sure to be a star in our system.

And this prospect pool, which hasn't accomplished anything yet, is just starting to come around 10 years into the man's tenure. 10 years during which the team was either awful or mediocre, and during which he blew several opportunities at getting the aforementioned star forward prospect.
Exactly which opportunities did he blow? And what do you call Grachev?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Well, that opened the 2003 draft floodgates. Cue the Marc Savard mishandling posts.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:42 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

The Drury hate on this thread is ridiculous and over the top. Everyone is acting like he's some sort of scrub who can't play. Guys get over it, he's a good hockey player whose overpaid.

AND HE'S BETTER THAN A THIRD LINER!!!!!

Glen Sather is the one who has been giving away these awful contracts. Everyone is acting like if we didn't Redden, Rosival and Drury those absurd contracts that the money they make would be better spent elsewhere and wisely. What on earth makes anybody think that? What has Glen Sather done that proves to you that he would actually spend that money wisely?

You wanna cure the disease, TREAT THE CAUSE not the symptoms, and the cause is Glen Sather.

Last edited by SomebodySaveKreider: 09-20-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old
09-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Ola- I agree with a lot of what you post here...But getting rid of Chris Drury I don't agree with at all.

Drury is a winner, and a true leader in every sense of the word. He may not be the flasy 70point guy you might think you are getting with a 7 million dollar contract, but being overpaid to me is Chgris Drury's only downside. Takes a lot for a captain to keep players in line here in NY. Not being here on a regular basis may seem hard to understand, but this is a city that has a tendency to chew up and spit out hockey players. There are far too many destractions here. On top of that there are far too many reclamation porjects here that could easily be swayred off the right path. To me this is where Drury is going to earn his keep. Drury to me is the perfect candidate to keep this room under wraps. So, while I agree that contact is a bit much, there are two other contracts here that are far worse that Chis Drury when looking at the big picture. And potentialy three considering the clubs newest member has the history of injury he does in his relatively short career. The other two contracts of Roszival's and Reddens. $11.5 million dollars...Think about this. 11.5 million is close to what Toronto actually pays for Komisarek, Kaberle, and Beauchemin! Imagine that? ...Or how bout this...For almost the same money Kevin Bieska, Christian Ehrhoff, and Willie Mitchell? Of how about this...Neidermeyer and Whitney? ...Point I am making is, again I realise he is somewhat overpaid...but the two moves that MUST be made are these two mutts on defense. Not the captain who can earn the money in other aspects of the game whivch would be his leadership on and off the ice.
I actually don't disagree with you when it comes to what kind of player Drury is. But Washington is basically getting the same thing for 2m in Knuble. And Pitts for less then that for Bill Guerin.

I used to say that Drury is a 5m player who was getting 7m, not ideal but at the same time not terrible.

But I've changed my mind. The league have changed. Players these days become UFA's when they are 25 y/o if they make the league when they are 18. The cap have for the first time not gone up by like almost 10%. The capmanagement aspect have become even more important.

As for Rozsival, he have a bad last name and is a horrible PPQB, what else have he done wrong? Nothing. People don't know what they are talking about when they are critizising him on a shift per shift basis. He is also someone who is de facto very good at covering for his partners and could be ideal to have on a young blueline in that sense.

I definitly wouldn't be against trading him in, but I do think he makes some sense to hang on to him for another 2 years. At 3m per he would then be pretty valuble for the lowbudget teams who don't care about the cap hit.

At the same time, I am not gooing to say that thoose who wants to deal Rozi ASAP and hang onto Redden instead are "nuts". But I think trading Rozsival should be alternative 2.

Last edited by Ola: 09-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
HockeyBurd*

I don't see how they could realistically move either. Drury could possible get moved in the final year of his contract. But Redden? How? You'd have to trade something of value with him to get a team to take on the salary. And if you're lucky, you'd get a 3rd D back that's a more reasonable cap hit.

But I don't see how these are going to happen at this time. So I'm not sure Sather has either of these moves as a top priority much less a No 1 priority.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
The Drury hate on this thread is ridiculous and over the top. Everyone is acting like he's some sort of scrub who can't play. Guys get over it, he's a good hockey player whose overpaid.

AND HE'S BETTER THAN A THIRD LINER!!!!!

Glen Sather is the one who has been giving away these awful contracts. Everyone is acting as if we had the money to play with that Rosi, Drury and Redden make that we would've actually spent it wisely. What on earth makes anybody think that? What has Glen Sather done that proves to you that he would actually spend that money wisely?

You wanna cure the disease, TREAT THE CAUSE not the symptoms, and the cause is Glen Sather.
I can't speak for everyone else but I am not saying that. What I am saying is that you can't win if you are paying someone like Drury 7m per. We had a weak team last season, and Drury were our 3rd line center. Both under Renney and Torts in the end, thats also a fact.

I've never said that he isn't valuble for us, but the marketprice these days for character guys is 2m or less, no 7m. And its not like Drury is Mark Messier II. I love his attitude, much more so then I liked Shanahans attitude and he is also a great character. Drury in the right enviorment can be useful. He de facto made Vanek in Buffalo. But we can't put him in that enviorment here in NY.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:04 PM
eco's bones

Not saying that Rozsival and Drury are not good players but that they are way overpaid (especially Drury) and their contracts have been killing us.

Again--we're looking at two young guys taking over running the pwp when we've spent a boatload of money on two vets who can't run it.

Anyway we've been over the Drury thing for a long time. His time here has been a disappointment whatever way you look at it. I definitely see the point of spending big money in the future on younger, more legit top liners than on 2nd line support players.

Anyway more in line with what they're worth. Drury $3.5 to 4 mil. Rozsival $3.5 mil.
Redden $3 mil--maybe a little less and no way we should have signed him for more than two years.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:23 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone else but I am not saying that. What I am saying is that you can't win if you are paying someone like Drury 7m per. We had a weak team last season, and Drury were our 3rd line center. Both under Renney and Torts in the end, thats also a fact.

I've never said that he isn't valuble for us, but the marketprice these days for character guys is 2m or less, no 7m. And its not like Drury is Mark Messier II. I love his attitude, much more so then I liked Shanahans attitude and he is also a great character. Drury in the right enviorment can be useful. He de facto made Vanek in Buffalo. But we can't put him in that enviorment here in NY.
I agree!!!

This is why I say....cure the cause, not the symptoms. The cause is Glen Sather. This team has been in the dark ages ever since he came in.

If we could move the three of these guys, I would do it. Rosival is a MAYBE next year. I don't think he's as easily moveable as people think.

Drury would have to waive is NTC and I think he only does that is if he's sent to a contender. Ave's were mentioned, but the Ave's are in a full on rebuild. No way they would want him, nor would he would to got there. They just dumped Ryan Smyth to the Kings, why would they want Drury?

Redden? Well...I really believe he won't be ending his career in the NHL (if you know what I mean).

Old
09-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
I actually don't disagree with you when it comes to what kind of player Drury is. But Washington is basically getting the same thing for 2m in Knuble. And Pitts for less then that for Bill Guerin.

I used to say that Drury is a 5m player who was getting 7m, not ideal but at the same time not terrible.

But I've changed my mind. The league have changed. Players these days become UFA's when they are 25 y/o if they make the league when they are 18. The cap have for the first time not gone up by like almost 10%. The capmanagement aspect have become even more important.

As for Rozsival, he have a bad last name and is a horrible PPQB, what else have he done wrong? Nothing. People don't know what they are talking about when they are critizising him on a shift per shift basis. He is also someone who is de facto very good at covering for his partners and could be ideal to have on a young blueline in that sense.

I definitly wouldn't be against trading him in, but I do think he makes some sense to hang on to him for another 2 years. At 3m per he would then be pretty valuble for the lowbudget teams who don't care about the cap hit.

At the same time, I am not gooing to say that thoose who wants to deal Rozi ASAP and hang onto Redden instead are "nuts". But I think trading Rozsival should be alternative 2.
I think the point I was driving home, is that I can swallow an overpaid Chris Drury. I still agree with the 5million dollar value, and see the situation as he is overpaid by 2 mil or so. Onto Rozsival, I see him as about a $2,500,000 to $3million dollar player. Pretty much in the same value as Drury except...Except, Chris Drury is the captain of this team for a reason. He's earned that respect from the coaching staff, and the players. For Roszival, i am not so certain he has earned mu respect at all. In fact I think he hasen't been the same player sice Jagr, Nylander, Straka all left. You say other than being a bad PPQB, and having a bad last name what is he doing wrong? Ask the question what does he do right? He's got talent, there's no question there, but when everyone used to say he has this great first outlet pass, I just didn't see that last season. What I did see was a relatively big guy that was outworked often down low. I see a guy that at times coasted into the corners letting the forechecker get to the puck before him to make a play. Ultimately, I saw a guy who played inconsistent hockey...Now, to go further into it...In the area where Michael Roszival occupies a roster spot the club has some fat there. It has some depth there, where at Center in the case of Drury, there isn't the same depth. And more importantly as leadership goes I truly do not see another captain of this ship.

With all of that in consideration, I think the two players that Sather needs to find homes for are Redden and Roszival. Maybe via trade and next season NHL Entry draft. Maybe one could potentially be bought out. Or...Best case scenerio I think would be via trade. I have alot fo faith in Glen Sather when it boils down to trades. I think he can move one to another club at some point in the season in return for another defenseman.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I don't think people here give Sather enough credit.

The second the Drury and Gomez signings were announced, some already knew deep down inside, one of them wasn't going to remain a Ranger until their contracts expired. One got a full NMC, the other, a limited one.

Both Redden and Rozsival signed top-heavy contracts for a reason. I think Glen signed (and re-signed) both players, expecting only 1 of them to last.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
lebear
I have no idea

After this upcoming season, Reddens actual salary will go down from 8mn to 6.5mn, making him at least a little more tradeable to poor teams, but as Ola said, the cap issue will still be of huge concern, then it doesn't matter if the contract is front loaded.

Redden is currently the seventh highest paid D-man, after Chara, Lids, Campbell, Nieds, Jay-Boo, D.Boyle. All of those are high-impact d-men, players who make a difference in Cup-runs and so on. Redden is not.

Redden actually can play pretty good at times. IF he pulls himself together this season and plays at his current full potential, he will serve us good, but fact remains: under no circumstance is the contract worth it.

The ideal situation would be that Redden has a great season and a poor team with cap space that are desperate for defence come next summer, might look into him. It's possible, but perhaps unlikely. Otherwise: Bury or buy out.

Roszival HAS trade value, and would more realistically be involved in said situation. But I'd much rather keep Rozy than Redden.

Drury's contract is not nearly as bad as Redden's. Yes, he has struggled, but as I see it it's more a result of worthless team building the previous seasons. With this new, fresh team, I believe Drury has a much greater chance of finding his place and perform well. I want to keep him until his contract expires.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Chimp

I say Drury's contract is also pretty worthless. I don't know why you are even making an effort to defend it. Redden and Rozsi are singled out, because defensemen who play bad as hell get noticed. Alot. When Drury is brutal, he's just invisible, with an occassional blunder. And Drury is plain invisible. Alot.

Our team chemistry has been a sad chapter, but Drury has been a big part of it. If the ("normal") players are bricks, the star/ franchise players are the mortar. Unfortunately for the Rangers, Drury is low quality mortar who you can't build anything with. We don't have enough franchise players to go around, because we threw the franchise money on Drury, among others.

If your "star" center is best known for his "intangibles", then you know you're in deep crap. We want our #1 center to be known for his strong skating, natural goal scoring ability, toughness, playmaking ability, just something. Anything but "intangibles". "Clutchness"... any other words we have to make up to justify Drury's worthless contract here? How about his great "taking out new players to dinner" ability? Or his "ordering good wine" ability? That'll show those doubters... worth every cent.

We will never be a contender with Drury as one of our highest paid players. We will always be a flawed team with Drury as one of our highest paid players. It's as simple as that. He is paid to anchor the team, or at least anchor his line, which he can't. He's simply not good enough.

What people seem to ignore in this thread is how much that $7 million contract hurts us in terms of how what he's stopping us from signing. "Yes, he is overpaid by alot, but..." What do you mean "but"? There are no buts. His contract is killing us. He's not a franchise player and he's stopping us from getting one (with some help from other "great" contracts).

"He cares alot. He has intangibles. He is clutch." Sure, he cares, just as 95% of all the players. Intangibles are used to reason why that 3rd-4th line center should be in the lineup. Having intangibles as an argument why you're good is admitting you're not particulary good at anything else. If you bring up that a center is good at faceoffs, you mean he's not particulary good at anything but faceoffs. No one pays a guy $7 million for "intangibles", but us. And clutch? Sure, he was clutch... against us. That was the last time he was clutch. And yeah, against that Russian team in Europe, in that cup that no one can even remember the name of. Yeah, it was pre-season. That goal with 7.7 seconds left cost us alot more than we could ever imagine.

Drury can't be traded, but that's not because he has a NTC or is the captain. It's because no one would be dumb enough to have him on the team for his cap hit, because he just brings so little to the table compared to his payment.

Is Drury to blame for this? Of course not, you know the name of our GM.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-21-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I say Drury's contract is also pretty worthless. I don't know why you are even making an effort to defend him. Our team chemistry has been brutal, but Drury has been a big part of it. If the ("normal") players are bricks, the star/ franchise players are the mortar. Unfortunately for the Rangers, Drury is low quality mortar who you can't build anything with. We don't have enough franchise players to go around, because we threw the franchise money on Drury, among others.

If your "star" center is best known for his "intangibles", then you know you're in deep crap. We want our #1 center to be known for his strong skating, natural goal scoring ability, toughness, playmaking ability, just something. Anything but "intangibles". "Clutchness"... any other words we have to make up to justify Drury's brutal contract here? How about his great "taking out new players to dinner" ability? Or his "ordering good wine" ability? That'll show those doubters... worth every cent.

We will never be a contender with Drury as one of our highest paid players. We will always be a flawed team with Drury as one of our highest paid players. It's as simple as that. He is paid to anchor the team, or at least anchor his line, which he can't. He's simply not good enough.

What people seem to ignore in this thread is how much that $7 million contract hurt us in terms of how what he's stopping us from signing. "Yes, he is overpaid by alot, but..." What do you mean "but"? There are no buts. His contract is killing us.

"He cares alot. He has intangibles. He is clutch." Sure, he cares, just as 95% of all the players. Intangibles are used to reason why that 3rd-4th line center should be in the lineup. Having intangibles as an argument why you're good is admitting you're not particulary good at anything else. If you bring up that a center is good at faceoffs, you mean he's not particulary good at anything but faceoffs. No one pays a guy $7 million for "intangibles", but us. And clutch? Sure, he was clutch... against us. That was the last time he was clutch. And yeah, against that Russian team in Europe, in that cup that no one can even remember the name of. Yeah, it was pre-season. That goal with 7.7 seconds left cost us alot more than we could ever imagine.

Drury can't be traded, but that's not because he has a NTC or is the captain. It's because no one would be dumb enough to have him on the team for his cap hit, because he just brings so little to the table compared to his payment.

Is Drury to blame for this? Of course not, you know the name of our GM.
Your severely underrating Chris Drury.

He's not a scrub, he's a helluva hockey player. You don't sprinkle $7 million on a 2nd line center and he automatically turns into Ryan Getzlaf.

And the chemistry issues isn't Chris's fault. Its the fault of the organization. The Rangers haven't had a direction two years. Also the last 2 years have had massive roster overhaul. The 06/07 team was so good because a lot of those guys had been playing together for a few years, and the players added fit the mold of the system at the time.

And why are we complaining so much during Preseason?

The kids look awesome, Chris has looked good in his preseason games, we have one of the top snipers in the game on our side now, Dubinsky is finally resigned and we have one of the best goaltenders in the game.

The Redden and Drury contract suck, but theres a lot to be excited about this year.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

Yes, and say we had the cap space because any combo of Redden, Rozy, and Drury were not on the team. Do you think we might be more inclined to trade some young players and prospects to fill that cap space with a star?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I'd say get rid of one big contract per year/offseason and we'll be fine.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Chimp, you're basically saying Drury is worthless. Are you also implying his contract should be dumped if possible?

Yes the contract is pretty bad, but that's in many cases the result of inflated UFA signings.

We've got Drury here for three more years. To get that 1st line center you want, what would you do? Dump Drury's contract immediately if given the possibility? That would require another UFA signing. Next summer there'd be a couple of options, but how would you know for sure that one of these would sign with us, and not another team or an extension?

A trade? Yes, why not. Drury + prospects/youth for a true number one center I'd probably be open to. But elite centers are highly in demand and short in supply. The reality of such a deal would probably be low -- and don't get me started on Redden + youth for an elite center.

We're stuck with these guys, and dumping Rozy and/or Redden would surely be nice, but if given the possibility to dump Drury and NOT Redden/Rozy, I'll say no simply because what we would get in return isn't worth it, or highly risky.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote