HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nr 1 priority for Glen Sather...

Old
09-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerskij View Post
Chimp, you're basically saying Drury is worthless. Are you also implying his contract should be dumped if possible?

Yes the contract is pretty bad, but that's in many cases the result of inflated UFA signings.

We've got Drury here for three more years. To get that 1st line center you want, what would you do? Dump Drury's contract immediately if given the possibility? That would require another UFA signing. Next summer there'd be a couple of options, but how would you know for sure that one of these would sign with us, and not another team or an extension?

A trade? Yes, why not. Drury + prospects/youth for a true number one center I'd probably be open to. But elite centers are highly in demand and short in supply. The reality of such a deal would probably be low -- and don't get me started on Redden + youth for an elite center.

We're stuck with these guys, and dumping Rozy and/or Redden would surely be nice, but if given the possibility to dump Drury and NOT Redden/Rozy, I'll say no simply because what we would get in return isn't worth it, or highly risky.
No, I'm saying Drury's contract is worthless. He's an ok defensive 2nd line center, but that's not good enough. The contract is just not "pretty bad", it's brutal. It's almost double the amount he should probably earn if he wasn't an UFA. About $4 mil is what he contributes to the team. Sure, he was an UFA and was overpaid, but he was over-overpaid.

We don't need to get specifically a franchise center (even if that would be awesome), but I know I don't want to be short of money required to re-sign the core of the team and be forced to dump other players, because of Redden and Drury. But yes, we need another franchise player.

We don't even need to discuss about dumping Drury, because that's never going to happen, it's not even practically possible. Trading him is also practically impossible.

We just have to suck it up and know we won't be going anywhere for at least the next three years, probably alot longer, since it'll take time to fix this mess $ather has created. Sure, we can make the playoffs. Perhaps even advance to the 2nd round with a little bit of fortune, but it ends there. And that isn't because of Drury('s contract), I'll tell you that.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-22-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote