HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flex and kick point

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
  #1
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Flex and kick point

I tried a search of this topic prior to posting, but did not have any luck doing so (sorry if another thread like this exists).

I wanted to know if you had two sticks with the same flex; but both sticks had a different kick point; would they feel the same? I am currently using a Nike-Bauer Vapor XXV that is an 84 flex, but my wife has agreed to purchase a new stick for me (I've been thinking about a Nike-Bauer Supreme One95) for my birthday.

Any thoughts and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.



P.S. On a side note has anyone ordered a custom stick through their i.d. program? Any thoughts/comments on that would also be great.


Last edited by SouthpawTRK: 09-19-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: forgot some information in my original post
SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:32 PM
  #2
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
Low kick-point sticks normally feel 5-8 points stiffer than regular kick-point sticks, in my mind. However, they are usually sold as loading better on quick shots, wrist and snappers, than mid to high kick point sticks. In my experience, this is all very true, but I don't know exactly why. The one95 is nice, I have 2 and use them often! But they are not the best stick on the market for just wrist shots. So if that's your style, you might like something else more.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:40 PM
  #3
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Low kick-point sticks normally feel 5-8 points stiffer than regular kick-point sticks, in my mind. However, they are usually sold as loading better on quick shots, wrist and snappers, than mid to high kick point sticks. In my experience, this is all very true, but I don't know exactly why. The one95 is nice, I have 2 and use them often! But they are not the best stick on the market for just wrist shots. So if that's your style, you might like something else more.
Thanks very much for the answers to my question! So, if I was going to pull the trigger on a Supreme One95, would you advise going with the 87 flex? I do like wrist and snap shots, but I would love to have a wicked slap shot as well. Do you feel that the One95's that you have are a better rounded stick for all types of shots?

Once again, thanks for the quick reply; it was very appreciated!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:08 PM
  #4
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Thanks very much for the answers to my question! So, if I was going to pull the trigger on a Supreme One95, would you advise going with the 87 flex? I do like wrist and snap shots, but I would love to have a wicked slap shot as well. Do you feel that the One95's that you have are a better rounded stick for all types of shots?

Once again, thanks for the quick reply; it was very appreciated!
I think the whole flex point issue depends on the player. I have low flex point sticks and regular flex point sticks and play fine with either. But I'm sure there is a slight difference in the feel of the flex like donGjohnson mentioned, it's just whether or not it matters to the player. The One95 is advertised as being a power stick for slappers and such but many players, take the Sedins for example, who don't take many slappers and use it. It is also a very popular stick for defenders who take point shots. So yeah, I would say it is a very versatile stick.

Question though, have you cut your current stick at all? Because if you cut it you're looking at around maybe a 90 flex depending on how much was cut. As for Bauer ID, I haven't used it but know people that have. It's main appeal is to get patterns that aren't readily available at stores (PM9, P88, P92). That and obviously if you like having a customized stick.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
  #5
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
If you ONLY take wristers, don't get the one95. However, if you take a variety of shots, it's very much worth getting.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 11:30 PM
  #6
doobie604
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
one95 is a great stick, i think puck feel and durability is much more important than small % increase in your wrist shot. low kick point sticks load faster and shoots harder but it's not going to be noticeable when comparing the highend sticks. as for flex, i would go with something low. if you can't flex it then you're loosing power on your shots.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:15 AM
  #7
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick The Rypper View Post
I think the whole flex point issue depends on the player. I have low flex point sticks and regular flex point sticks and play fine with either. But I'm sure there is a slight difference in the feel of the flex like donGjohnson mentioned, it's just whether or not it matters to the player. The One95 is advertised as being a power stick for slappers and such but many players, take the Sedins for example, who don't take many slappers and use it. It is also a very popular stick for defenders who take point shots. So yeah, I would say it is a very versatile stick.

Question though, have you cut your current stick at all? Because if you cut it you're looking at around maybe a 90 flex depending on how much was cut. As for Bauer ID, I haven't used it but know people that have. It's main appeal is to get patterns that aren't readily available at stores (PM9, P88, P92). That and obviously if you like having a customized stick.
I did not know that the Sedin brothers used the One95; they just lit up the Sharks tonight!!!

I have cut my Vapor XXV (it's original flex was a 77) to the mark on the shaft that says 84. I cut it at that point not because I wanted it to be an 84, but rather the length felt comfortable to me.

Thanks for your reply to my post regarding the shaft flex/kick point question, as well as the question about the custom stick program.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:17 AM
  #8
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
If you ONLY take wristers, don't get the one95. However, if you take a variety of shots, it's very much worth getting.
Looks like I'll give the wife the green light to pull the trigger on my birthday present; maybe she can even get it customized

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
  #9
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
one95 is a great stick, i think puck feel and durability is much more important than small % increase in your wrist shot. low kick point sticks load faster and shoots harder but it's not going to be noticeable when comparing the highend sticks. as for flex, i would go with something low. if you can't flex it then you're loosing power on your shots.
Thanks for the feedback to my question that I posted! It makes a lot of sense to have a shaft that a player can flex, otherwise a person would loose power on shots. I guess my concern is that I'm 5'9" and weigh 180, but the current flex on my Vapor XXV feels better than my previous stick (Easton Synergy SC2).

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:20 AM
  #10
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
I'm 5'8, 185 (need to lose pounds :p), and I have a One95 and a XXV, both 67 flex.

The XXV is easier to load on wrist shots because of the lower kick point. I know some people may say it's marketing, but it's a huge difference. I'm used to low kick point sticks and I felt very comfortable shooting with it. Rumor is it's similar to the old Vapor XX and Warrior Dolomite with a different blade. Slap shots were fine, not my speciality. Accuracy was great for all shots. Puck feel was pretty bad though, it felt kind of hollow and ceramic.

The One95 was harder to load for wrist shots so it affects my release and accuracy. If I'm taking more of a snap shot it feels more comfortable. Slappers are good, but I'd need to go up in flex if I was more of a slapshot guy. Puck feel is the best I've ever used in a stick, bar none.

So if I were a slapper guy, I'd go with a 77 flex One95, but as a wrist shot guy, if I could have any stick, it'd probably be an intermediate Reebok 8k since it's got a super low kick and light weight (I liked my 7k shaft a lot).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:55 AM
  #11
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm 5'8, 185 (need to lose pounds :p), and I have a One95 and a XXV, both 67 flex.

The XXV is easier to load on wrist shots because of the lower kick point. I know some people may say it's marketing, but it's a huge difference. I'm used to low kick point sticks and I felt very comfortable shooting with it. Rumor is it's similar to the old Vapor XX and Warrior Dolomite with a different blade. Slap shots were fine, not my speciality. Accuracy was great for all shots. Puck feel was pretty bad though, it felt kind of hollow and ceramic.

The One95 was harder to load for wrist shots so it affects my release and accuracy. If I'm taking more of a snap shot it feels more comfortable. Slappers are good, but I'd need to go up in flex if I was more of a slapshot guy. Puck feel is the best I've ever used in a stick, bar none.

So if I were a slapper guy, I'd go with a 77 flex One95, but as a wrist shot guy, if I could have any stick, it'd probably be an intermediate Reebok 8k since it's got a super low kick and light weight (I liked my 7k shaft a lot).
Thanks for your reply to my original post! I started plan at the beginning of the month to eat better and exercise more (I could stand to lose about 15 pounds myself). I really appreciate your use of examples in your answer, it gives me other options to consider and keeps my mind more open.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:26 AM
  #12
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Many thanks to all of the HF members with their excellent answers, advice and recommendations to my original post!

One question to all the members that own a One 95 is do you prefer the stick 'um model or the standard model? I know that the Vapor XXV has the "light" stick 'um, but is the stick 'um more sticky on the One 95?

Thanks again for everything!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM
  #13
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,584
vCash: 450
I personally prefer non grip sticks, but can use grip. It's really completely personal preference, I once went through photos in the NHL and counted the Synergy elites (two colors, red for grip, blue for non grip), and found about a 50:50 ratio grip to non grip.

Can't do that anymore since teams all use team color sticks these days, but it's your call. I would go to a store, throw on a pair of gloves and play around with both to decide if you're not sure.


Last edited by cptjeff: 09-21-2009 at 01:21 PM.
cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
  #14
IniNew
Registered User
 
IniNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Keller
Country: United States
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
I've found that I have to use grip/non-grip dependent on what gloves I'm wearing. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X's that have slicker palms and I prefer my Nipple Grip warrior shaft, but if I throw on the Sherwood 9950 Pros, I have to use my Dolomite with no grip.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:13 PM
  #15
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
If you ONLY take wristers, don't get the one95. However, if you take a variety of shots, it's very much worth getting.
So if the One95 is preferable for slappers and not so much for wristers, then which sticks are better for wristers? The Vapour line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
I've found that I have to use grip/non-grip dependent on what gloves I'm wearing. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X's that have slicker palms and I prefer my Nipple Grip warrior shaft, but if I throw on the Sherwood 9950 Pros, I have to use my Dolomite with no grip.
This ^ I personally dont care for grip as I think it will interfere with my hand transfer down the stick. Also, my S17's have a sort of rubbery leather palm so grip would be slightly redundant in this case

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
  #16
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
I really really really wanted to try a one95 solely for slapper purposes since they are said by people to be much better for that. Soon....soon some day I will get one, ended up just getting two XXV instead since its an overall great stick for its price, I broke abuncha sticks and needed a new one + backup vs one really nice stick which might break on me =\.

Makes me curious anyone really familiar with one95 durability atleast for taking a lot of slappers? I know my last XXV I ended up destroying the blade around the heel/middle area cause of it but it still lasted me a good bit atleast.

Also I can say for the light stickum I dont really notice anything while playing hindering me as a defesenman atleast , but Id much rather just have a clean shaft than any type of stuff on it, not to mention with most sticks you can save 10$ off the price w/o it(although through bauer ID it seems no matter what you do to it its all the same price).

One last thing for those out there with stick knowledge...is it just me or is finding the P02(I believe its labeled name wise Pronger/Samsanov) blade pattern IMPOSSIBLE to find? Ive seen it on the bauer ID site but thats it, and thats pricey T_T.

Not to hijack thread just figured since theres alot of discussion on it here.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:33 PM
  #17
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
I tried a search of this topic prior to posting, but did not have any luck doing so (sorry if another thread like this exists).

I wanted to know if you had two sticks with the same flex; but both sticks had a different kick point; would they feel the same? I am currently using a Nike-Bauer Vapor XXV that is an 84 flex, but my wife has agreed to purchase a new stick for me (I've been thinking about a Nike-Bauer Supreme One95) for my birthday.

Any thoughts and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.



P.S. On a side note has anyone ordered a custom stick through their i.d. program? Any thoughts/comments on that would also be great.
I have a couple of shafts that are mid kickpoint and a couple that are low kickpoint .... the mid kickpoint shoots slapshots awesomely and the wirstshots or snapshots not as good but still good.

the low kickpoint launches wristers, snappers excellently and are not as clean with the slapshots as far as feeling the sweetspot.

Both are good though and the differences are subtle but there nonetheless.

Much better accuracy with the low kickpoint load transfer on picking a corner with a wrister or snapshot. You can do the same with the mid kickpoint but have to put more concentration on the shot it seems to me.

It probably just comes down to preferenbce for you personally more than anything. I like to shoot slapshots and the mid kickpoint serves me better for that but with a passing game, redirects, touch passing etc the low kickpoint seems more in tune with that for me.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:49 PM
  #18
BLKHKhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Does anyone know the kickpoint on the Mission Titanium?

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:00 PM
  #19
Killa_Kyle*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Sedin One95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
I did not know that the Sedin brothers used the One95; they just lit up the Sharks tonight!!!

I have cut my Vapor XXV (it's original flex was a 77) to the mark on the shaft that says 84. I cut it at that point not because I wanted it to be an 84, but rather the length felt comfortable to me.

Thanks for your reply to my post regarding the shaft flex/kick point question, as well as the question about the custom stick program.
I picked up a brand new Sedin One95 sticks from the Canucks equipment sale for $80 last season and it is an awesome stick. I highly recommend it, it's very very light (I have a S17 and I thought that was light, One95 is lighter!) and responsive and great for wristers and slappers. It's 102 flex and stick-um grip.

Here are some pics





Last edited by Killa_Kyle*: 09-21-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Killa_Kyle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
  #20
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_Kyle View Post
I picked up a brand new Sedin One95 sticks from the Canucks equipment sale for $80 last season and it is an awesome stick. I highly recommend it, it's very very light (I have a S17 and I thought that was light, One95 is lighter!) and responsive and great for wristers and slappers. It's 102 flex and stick-um grip.

Here are some pics



wow thats really nice, and Canucks equipment sale you say? I bet there were tons of people all competing for that one stick...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
  #21
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
80$.....you lucky sob....

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:29 PM
  #22
JS19
Legends Never Die
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_Kyle View Post
I picked up a brand new Sedin One95 sticks from the Canucks equipment sale for $80 last season and it is an awesome stick. I highly recommend it, it's very very light (I have a S17 and I thought that was light, One95 is lighter!) and responsive and great for wristers and slappers. It's 102 flex and stick-um grip.

Here are some pics



I got the exact same pro-stock stick but in a CCM v.10 stick painted as a Reebok Sickick...The curve's very nice, not too curvy yet dangerous for sniping.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
  #23
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
My favorite low kick stick is the 10k. The SE16/SE is also nice.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
  #24
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,154
vCash: 500
My LHS has some 10K pro stocks for 170. Sucks being so broke or I'd jump all over that.

Damn it I wish a Canucks STH so I could get early access to their equipment sale I envy you Killa_Kyle, you want to help a brother out next year?

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:11 PM
  #25
jthayer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
One95

I got a One95 returned to me from Bauer a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a 102 flex and the stick states it's a 102 yet, the stick feels like a tree branch when I bend it. Anyone else have experience with this?

jthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.