HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rumor: TB Lightning to be sold to STL billionaire? (Mod: Koules has until 11/23)

Old
09-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Rumor: TB Lightning to be sold to STL billionaire? (Mod: Koules has until 11/23)

Alright, I got a very good tip from an inside source that the NHL had an emergency meeting to sell the Lightning because Koules and Barrie ran out of money. They're being sold to a billionaire from St. Louis.

I know no one has any reason to believe me on this one, but I have no reason to make something like this up. It's straight from an NHL official, but it will be happening. The major news outlets should be getting a hold of it soon, I have no doubt about that. Mods, please don't delete the thread, lock it until there's a legit source. But the Lightning have been sold to a St. Louis based billionaire.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Cliff O Malley

It was me. I bought them. YAYZ I's a BIZNESSMANZ!!

Cliff O Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:44 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Should be marked as "RUMOR" rather than "BREAKING NEWS". Even if you are correct, this is still a rumor with no official news.

FootKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Should be marked as "RUMOR" rather than "BREAKING NEWS". Even if you are correct, this is still a rumor with no official news.
I tried to edit it to rumor. I couldn't.

Hey mods, if you need to know who my source is, PM me and I will tell you for secrecy sake.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
LyNX27

Nice heads up post. Hopefully management will help that team boom and become great for years to come.

Edit : In before the padlock gets slapped on

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:46 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Based on your post count, I'll trust you.

That's pretty crazy though, if true.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
BCShark

wow crazy

BCShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Alright, I got a very good tip from an inside source that the NHL had an emergency meeting to sell the Lightning because Koules and Barrie ran out of money. They're being sold to a billionaire from St. Louis.

I know no one has any reason to believe me on this one, but I have no reason to make something like this up. It's straight from an NHL official, but it will be happening. The major news outlets should be getting a hold of it soon, I have no doubt about that. Mods, please don't delete the thread, lock it until there's a legit source. But the Lightning have been sold to a St. Louis based billionaire.
Here's an update, but where there's smoke, there may be fire...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/...of_lightn.html
Elliotte Friedman
Quote:
Sansone looks at Lightning

Last Thursday, Tony Sansone Jr. met with the NHL at its New York offices.

Sansone, a St. Louis-based businessman who once considered buying the Blues, was originally talking with Barrie but is now looking into the possibility of buying the Lightning on his own.

(He did not respond to requests for comment on Monday.)

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the meeting, but warned that it would be "premature" to say that Sansone is a serious contender to be the Lightning's next owner.

"This is still in the very exploratory stages," Daly said.

Plus, Koules is now in control.

If he can buy out Barrie by late November, it won't matter who else is interested.

Old
09-21-2009, 09:56 PM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wow, best of luck to the Lightning. Hopefully at least one Florida team can end up with a great owner who's ready to invest in his team.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I wonder if he'll get the Balsillie treatment.

09-21-2009, 09:59 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 2394
It would be the best thing for Lightning fans to have stable ownership and one man calling the shots. The interference angle may have been blown out of proportion but it seemed like it was an issue.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:02 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
They let him in the door, he's way ahead of Jimmy.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Areid1990

Tampa had something like 16.5 K show up to a preseason game the other night. If you get a solid dedicated Hockey fan owner this team can be very successful.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
CaptBrannigan

Hopefully Espo can get in with this guy/group. He's said he would put together a group if the current two couldn't do it. That would be very good for the team if he was included; he brought the expansion bid here and is very dedicated to the team/area.

CaptBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
They let him in the door, he's way ahead of Jimmy.
Hmmm. Funny.

Anyways, I hope for Tampa's sake that whoever owns the team next is sensible, because unlike certain other franchises, they're in a proven market and with solid ownership can stay there for a while.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
Hopefully Espo can get in with this guy/group. He's said he would put together a group if the current two couldn't do it. That would be very good for the team if he was included; he brought the expansion bid here and is very dedicated to the team/area.
I listen to him often on XM but never heard that reference. Couldn't hurt to have a career hockey man involved in some capacity. Was he suggesting investing his own money or just recruiting investors?

Old
09-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
How did Balsillie miss out on this?

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:28 PM
lordstan57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
How did Balsillie miss out on this?

Maybe because he's a big *****-uva bull in a china shop?
Who burns his bridges before they're crossed.

lordstan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I listen to him often on XM but never heard that reference. Couldn't hurt to have a career hockey man involved in some capacity. Was he suggesting investing his own money or just recruiting investors?
Recruiting with him kind of acting as director.

Locally, he talks about it a lot. The bolts, to him, are like his lone grandchild and he DOES NOT like Koules or Barrie. Koules at one point iirc asked him to help out and be a part of the group and he basically said "i'll never work for you".

Interesting to see where all of this goes, as it seems like Koules had really been doing his homework, was having in depth discussions about scouting reports and free agents, and just really seemed to be breathing hockey. They're managing to get the fans back out fairly well too, and have exploited the situation around town (Rays out of the playoff hunt, Bucs just ****ing blowing donkey ****) and have had decent turnouts for the prospects camp/preseason.

Also, Espo hates (and thats expressing it lightly) JB. Someone asked him about that situation and if the Lightning were in it and his response was something along the lines of "hes not moving my ****ing team".

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Recruiting with him kind of acting as director.

Locally, he talks about it a lot. The bolts, to him, are like his lone grandchild and he DOES NOT like Koules or Barrie. Koules at one point iirc asked him to help out and be a part of the group and he basically said "i'll never work for you".

Interesting to see where all of this goes, as it seems like Koules had really been doing his homework, was having in depth discussions about scouting reports and free agents, and just really seemed to be breathing hockey. They're managing to get the fans back out fairly well too, and have exploited the situation around town (Rays out of the playoff hunt, Bucs just ****ing blowing donkey ****) and have had decent turnouts for the prospects camp/preseason.

Also, Espo hates (and thats expressing it lightly) JB. Someone asked him about that situation and if the Lightning were in it and his response was something along the lines of "hes not moving my ****ing team".
Good for Espo, not enough people stand by their principals when enticed by loot these days. As for JB it seems his sole interest is a team that can be moved and one would have to think the Phoenix situation should drive the "not welcome" point home loud and clear.