HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kundratek In Hartford; Not Returned to Junior

Old
09-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Kundratek In Hartford; Not Returned to Junior

Subsequent to the cut down yesterday, it was decided to send Tomas Kundratek to the Hartford training camp, not back to Medicine Hat. There is concern that he will leave North America if sent back to juniors.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:08 PM
TheZherdev

Wasn't he already pretty much ready to play in hartford?

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Thanks for the clarification. I was shocked at the initial reports that he'd be sent down that far. Good to know that was false.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Vitto79

fine with me, keep him in Hartford. Man they have great depth on D

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Pugs35

Is he really ready for Hartford though? It's a little worrisome that the organization would have preferred that he go back to juniors and just put him in Hartford to keep him over here.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:59 AM
dank

yes please. much better and smarter to keep him in HFD, esp since he's not held back/down by the CHL rule

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:59 AM
eco's bones

I think there are at least two problems--1) they don't think he's ready to make the jump and 2) there's a glut of defenseman especially if Sanguinetti, Heikkinen and Potter get sent down. They would join Nigel Williams and Mike Sauer and there would be your top 5. Also there are Sam Klassen, David Urquhart, Trevor Glass, Tysen Dowzak, Brent Henley (who might be the resident goon) and Mike Berube.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Ahh, another edgy player forcing the team's hand into doing something they didn't want to.

Kundratek is most certainly not ready for HFD. Nor do we really need him there. If I was Glen, I'd say **** him too and send him back to Junior and see what he does.

I mean if we wanna be real (judging by his preseason game play), we could give him what he wants right away - seeing as he doesn't want to work at it - and start him on the NYR blueline. I'm sure he'll love playing for 18,000 people constantly booing him because he sucks and is not ready.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:05 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I think there are at least two problems--1) they don't think he's ready to make the jump and 2) there's a glut of defenseman especially if Sanguinetti, Heikkinen and Potter get sent down. They would join Nigel Williams and Mike Sauer and there would be your top 5. Also there are Sam Klassen, David Urquhart, Trevor Glass, Tysen Dowzak, Brent Henley (who might be the resident goon) and Mike Berube.
Guess some of those guys should be ready to take a little trip to Charlotte....

On the other hand, might the Pack have the sickest blueline in the A?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:27 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Ahh, another edgy player forcing the team's hand into doing something they didn't want to.

Kundratek is most certainly not ready for HFD. Nor do we really need him there. If I was Glen, I'd say **** him too and send him back to Junior and see what he does.

I mean if we wanna be real (judging by his preseason game play), we could give him what he wants right away - seeing as he doesn't want to work at it - and start him on the NYR blueline. I'm sure he'll love playing for 18,000 people constantly booing him because he sucks and is not ready.
When or where has he given any indication that he thinks he belongs on the Rangers blueline right now? He hasn't, so stop with the hyperbole.

The kid wants to play against men and make a living wage. You can condemn him for that, but we're not talking about the difference between $700k and $1.2m like we are with Dubinsky. We're talking about the difference between playing for ~$2k a year or making somewhere in the $60-65k range. You have no idea what his family situation is back home or how much of a burden him playing over here for peanuts might be on them. We also don't know what the Rangers told him to get him to come over in the first place -- whether he came with the expectations he'd play a single year in juniors before being able to turn pro.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:31 PM
eco's bones

The thing with Kundratek last year is he started off injured and it took a long time to get back into the lineup. He had an excellent WJC tournament but it would seem he had his ups and downs in Medicine Hat. I mean it's easy to say just move everybody else out of his way--but Urquhart for one spent most of last season in Hartford and played pretty well. Klassen for another has had excellent reports both in Traverse and from training camp and Henley for a third might be more or less figured into the lineup on a regular basis because of size and protection. I think Klassen can go back to juniors as well but I'm not sure anyone of the others can which is as well a consideration often made when the big team keeps one player on their roster instead of another more or less out of waiver considerations. It sometimes comes down to one player can be easily moved around and another cannot.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
When or where has he given any indication that he thinks he belongs on the Rangers blueline right now? He hasn't, so stop with the hyperbole.

The kid wants to play against men and make a living wage. You can condemn him for that, but we're not talking about the difference between $700k and $1.2m like we are with Dubinsky. We're talking about the difference between playing for ~$2k a year or making somewhere in the $60-65k range. You have no idea what his family situation is back home or how much of a burden him playing over here for peanuts might be on them. We also don't know what the Rangers told him to get him to come over in the first place -- whether he came with the expectations he'd play a single year in juniors before being able to turn pro.
Hyperbole was used only to show the point that the kid was drafted into the NHL by the Rangers and is already deciding how he is going to accomplish his goals in the future. These goals do not seem to take into account what the Rangers suggest is best for his development as a NYR prospect, draftee, and future Ranger.

Save the sad family story for someone else. Hundreds/Thousands of kids find a way to make things happen and chase the dream of playing hockey in the NHL. You could also think about how millions of College kids in the US are burdens to their family when they enroll in a 4 year university full of loans and upfront payments. This is not even taking into account the fact that the guy has been drafted, and is likely under some player representative's guidance. You really think a legit prospects family is going to be in turmoil forcing him to miss a year of development overseas?

If he wants to make more money upfront, present. Fine. Great for him, I could care less.

What I do care about is the fact that we spent a draft pick on a player who seems to be dictating what he will be doing to accomplish the end goal of making the NHL. Frankly, I would like to have that pick back and use it on someone willing to listen to management's advice and not quick to pull the EURO Card the second he hears something he doesn't like. Especially when the report comes off as if he's going back to Europe and we're going to have to pull teeth to get him to come back.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 06:29 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Looks like Tomas Kundratek may not be joining the Tigers after all....the day after assigning him to Medicine Hat, the Rangers changed their minds and sent him to their AHL camp instead. Supposedly the reason is that they are concerned that he may bolt for the Czech Republic rather than report to Medicine Hat if the Rangers were to stay with the WHL assignment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kundratek signed a contract with the Rangers, and doesn't that pretty much do away with his right to play where he wants? I can understand why he might be a little unhappy about being sent to junior, since it means that he doesn't get paid (as opposed to what he'd make playing in the AHL or back home in the Czech Republic) and the contract also slides a year so he'd still owe the Rangers 3 years. But he did sign the contract and therefore since the NHL doesn't have any labour issues with the Czech federation, he can't simply skip out on the Rangers' wishes and go play over in Europe. So we'll see how this ends up. I think if they eventually do send him to the Hat, he doesn't really have a lot of choice unless he wants to try playing in Russia. We'll see.
http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/200...day-notes.html

Contrary to Prospect Park,Kundratek counts against the 50 SPC limit if he plays in Medicine Hat. The exemption applies to 18 and 19 year old kids returned to their CHL teams and not to overage players returned to junior.

His AHL salary is $65,000

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...id=98024&pos=D

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/200...day-notes.html

Contrary to Prospect Park,Kundratek counts against the 50 SPC limit if he plays in Medicine Hat. The exemption applies to 18 and 19 year old kids returned to their CHL teams and not to overage players returned to junior.

His AHL salary is $65,000

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...id=98024&pos=D
You are correct, but I don't think that it was Jess at Prospect Park who said that Kundratek's contract does not count against the 50 NHL contract limit.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:19 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
You are correct, but I don't think that it was Jess at Prospect Park who said that Kundratek's contract does not count against the 50 NHL contract limit.
Quote:
Underneath the surface is that Kundratek has a Ranger entry level contract which if they kept him anywhere would count towards the 50 contract limit (depending on who you listen to the Rangers are at 46-47-48). Send him back to the WHL and the contract does not count against the limit.
http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/...-eye-here.html

The Rangers are at 49 SPC's.MDZ and Grachev are the only possible exemptions if they are returned to the OHL.

http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php?Team=22

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Did not see where he said that. It's wrong.