HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Jason Chimera taken off ice on stretcher

Old
09-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Unless I read it differently, I believe the blood was an earlier incident, he got hit in the face with a puck or something.

I'm guessing they took the intermission since it's pre-season and doesn't really matter, and maybe in hopes that it wouldn't have turned into a big brawl.
There was blood with both incidents. He had gotten hit by a puck earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrakers
"I didn't see the hit," Modin said. I just saw Chimmer lying on his back, with blood coming out of his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert
I'll fess up a bit after this injury to Chimera. I never thought he was much more than a lower tier player when MacLean traded for him from Phoenix. But after coming to Columbus I saw some bonified heart, not much talent but heart. He deserves credit for that.

He is a Blue Jacket in heart and sole but the guy is not much more than a fourth line speed type guy, I say that after seeing him skate hard but miss the pass or net for many years..

Basically, ineffective if winning the Stanley Cup is the goal..
Chimera is probably the most underrated player on this team. The year before last he had seventeen goals, and last year he played excellent before a mistrated injury caused his level to decline a little. I think, had he not been injuried, he would have scored twenty goals last season. He varied is attacks of shooting instead of just going up close and taking the same backhand to forehand wrister.

I don't understand how people how people can be so excited about a twenty-goal scorer in Vermette or say that Modin has any production left in him, but then turn around and say another (probable) 20-goal scorer is fourth-line trade bait.

He may not pass like Vermette or have the hands of Vermette, but people root for Picard over Chimera. I like Picard too, but please.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Hugg

Never been a big fan of Chimmer, could probably dissect his game for an hour but in no mood to right now. Just hope he's ok.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:16 AM
mokkan88

Good news from Puck Rakers:

"Allen Walsh, the agent for Blue Jackets left winger Jason Chimera, has informed via Twitter, that a CT scan given to Chimera tonight at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn., was negative.

Chimera is expected to fly to Columbus on Saturday."

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:39 AM
warlockmb

very good news.

warlockmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:41 AM
MephistoIV

Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
Hmm, so if Chimmer and Modin are a no-go for opening night I'd like to see...

Picard/Pahlsson/(Murray/Torres) and
Filatov/Dorsett/(Murray/Torres/Boll) w/ Torres playing, somewhere (:

MephistoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Chimera is probably the most underrated player on this team. The year before last he had seventeen goals, and last year he played excellent before a mistrated injury caused his level to decline a little. I think, had he not been injuried, he would have scored twenty goals last season. He varied is attacks of shooting instead of just going up close and taking the same backhand to forehand wrister.

I don't understand how people how people can be so excited about a twenty-goal scorer in Vermette or say that Modin has any production left in him, but then turn around and say another (probable) 20-goal scorer is fourth-line trade bait.

He may not pass like Vermette or have the hands of Vermette, but people root for Picard over Chimera. I like Picard too, but please.
He's got great speed but hands of stone. I've seen him shoot and miss the entire net more times than any other three people on the team combined. That said, he has great heart, great character and I hope he comes back from this. Who knows maybe it will give him a new motivation and he'll come out playing like a mad man.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

As far as Belanger's hit being dirty, it was a **** happens hit. If Boogard or Clutterbuck made the hit, then my opinion may be different. I would say it was more reactiionary than premeditated.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:45 AM
CzechMate93

Quote:
Originally Posted by double shift filatov View Post
Agree totally. I tend to think this is one of those guys, who, if the scouts were better at their jobs, wouldn't be in the league. He is a terror on paper-size, toughness, incredible speed, great teammate. Alas, the guy just can't get it done in the game. To say he can't shoot is like saying Zherdev needs to step up the intensity.

He's a guy who plays the game in a way that is hard to dislike him. I just get kind of sick of watching him fly down the neutral zone, then miss the net, then start a fight and get the crap kicked out of him.

Hope he's OK, though.
Have some heart people. Save your thoughts about Chimera's play for a different thread. He got carted off the ice last night for crying out loud. I understand if you don't play him on your fantasy team, but it just seems disrespectful to be saying some things in this thread.

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:24 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I was at the game and it was really scary. The Wild had them bottled up in their zone for awhile. A few moments before Chimera went down he took what looked like a bigger hit from Danny Irmen. When the puck came around on that side again it seemed like Chimera turned his back at the last second and Belanger couldn't stop his momentum of the check that he was about to deliver.

I can tell you Belanger isn't a dirty player. It was just one of those shifts where one side was buzzing and the other was dragging from a long shift. When that happens things can get out of hand.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:32 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Belanger? The guy hardly hits at all, never mind dirty...It was a freak accident with no intent--careless and punishable, to be sure, but Belanger is about as opposite as you can get from "physical". Perhaps it's him trying to play out of character to impress Richards, in this new system; with Lemaire, centers weren't allowed down low and with Richards it's expected they attack.

Glad to hear Chimera is cleared of anything serious!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Very good to hear, indeed.

When Hitch was quoted on Puck-rakers as saying that it's an injury that will take weeks not days to heal, it was sort of towards the end of the article, and did anyone know whether he was referring to Modin's injury or Chimmer's?

Old
09-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post

When Hitch was quoted on Puck-rakers as saying that it's an injury that will take weeks not days to heal, it was sort of towards the end of the article, and did anyone know whether he was referring to Modin's injury or Chimmer's?
I took it as referring to Modin.

Old
09-19-2009, 11:05 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post

Freddy Mo.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:05 PM
EpicDegree

And by weeks, does he mean the entire season? I keep hoping Freddy Mo can be healthy and be the warrior we know he can be, but it looks like his body is just constantly failing him anymore.

Glad to hear Chimmer is okay. Wonder how this will affect his season as well. Sounds very scary.

EpicDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDegree View Post
And by weeks, does he mean the entire season? I keep hoping Freddy Mo can be healthy and be the warrior we know he can be, but it looks like his body is just constantly failing him anymore.

Glad to hear Chimmer is okay. Wonder how this will affect his season as well. Sounds very scary.
I was hoping Modin could stay healthy, because I think he could be a significant threat, if not in goals, then on the boards. Unfortunately, even though I think he can contribute a lot, I'm starting to doubt that his knee will hold up. This isn't the first time he's played one or two games before getting re-injured.

Either way, I hope both of them are doing well and recover nicely.

Old
09-20-2009, 11:56 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDegree View Post

No. 4-6 weeks.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Skraut

Chimmer doesn't hold back words on the incident.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/09...heap_hit.shtml

Quote:
"It was a cheap hit, it was a dirty play," Chimera said. "(Belanger) said I was turning (my body), but there was no turning involved. He said he's never done that before, that he's had only one 5-minute major (for elbowing), but the same is true if you shoot somebody.

"You only have to shoot somebody once to be dirty. It's a dirty hit and there's no need for it. My back was turned the whole way."

"He shoved me right between the numbers (on back of ther jersey). What does the guy need, a big stop sign like minor hockey does back in Canada? It's just disappointing coming from a guy who's been in the league a while . . . Maybe I could understand it if was a young kid running around, trying to make an impression with some big hits, but he's been in the league for a long time. There was just no need for it.

"There is a level of respect that should be out there for players in the game nowadays. That was thrown by wayside there."

In watching the replay, Chimera says Belanger made no attempt to slow down as he threw the check.

"I was in a bad position, I had no means of protecting myself," Chimera said. "There was no let up. He didn't ease up at all . . . If it's a clean check and I'm (knocked) out, fine, but it wasn't. It was dirty play. If he's not suspended I would be surprised for sure."

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
You stay classy Jason. The guy comes out and apologizes and you come out and blast him?

This will not end well. Calling it dirty play implies intent to injure. Intent to injure does not usually result in apologies. See also: Tootoo, Jordin.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
You stay classy Jason. The guy comes out and apologizes and you come out and blast him?

This will not end well. Calling it dirty play implies intent to injure. Intent to injure does not usually result in apologies. See also: Tootoo, Jordin.
This just makes tonight and especially opening night much more intriguing.

Old
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post

I don't think that's fair. Chimera is a very laid back and easy going guy. He was also carried off on a stretcher. That has to be scary for anyone in any situation. You can apologize but it only means so much. I'm not saying it's right to hold a grudge, but as Jason says, Belanger wasn't the guy on the stretcher.

All players have a responsibility to not only protect themselves but to protect everyone else. While freak accidents happen, this is one that is clearly avoidable and I'm not going to hold it against Chimera if he saw this play a little differently than you or Belanger.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
BluejacketNut

I dont have an issue with his comments, understandable, but players always throw out this "respect for players" comments, as if there was ever respect for players in the old days. You usually hear it in reference to the high sticking since the Euro's wear visors, but when you look over the past, and I cant remember who said it, but there has NEVER been respect for players. Hearing the reason for the 1st ever All Star game is the perfect example of it. As long as money is on the line, that will always come first to many players before respect will....not saying I agree with it, but there has never been respect for others when it comes to professional hockey, or sports in general. Best not to wait for others to respect you, dont put yourself in a vulnerable situation and look out for yourself and your teammates.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Skraut

I posted Chimmer's quotes over on the mains and somebody posted this video of the hit. Unfortunately it's virtually impossible to see anything from the angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHPTXYlDxbk

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Aging Goalie

From the way his arms went up after the hit it gave me the impression of "crap, I didn't mean that to happen" Could go either way but that is what I thought of it. kind of the definition between murder and manslaughter. Still did the crime but may have been unintentional.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 10:15 AM
mokkan88

Dang, that's not pretty. Good on Modin for having the presence of mind to try and comfort him.

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I don't think that's fair. Chimera is a very laid back and easy going guy. He was also carried off on a stretcher. That has to be scary for anyone in any situation. You can apologize but it only means so much. I'm not saying it's right to hold a grudge, but as Jason says, Belanger wasn't the guy on the stretcher.

All players have a responsibility to not only protect themselves but to protect everyone else. While freak accidents happen, this is one that is clearly avoidable and I'm not going to hold it against Chimera if he saw this play a little differently than you or Belanger.
I agree with the bolded part, most of the time. But Chimera also seems to have a pretty big temper on occasion. One of those people with a really long fuse, that is followed by a big explosion.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote