HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sizing up the Canadiens (Boston Globe

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2004, 08:42 AM
  #1
Mike The Wall
Registered User
 
Mike The Wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montreal Hockey Capital of The World
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Sizing up the Canadiens (Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...the_canadiens/

Mike The Wall is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 08:54 AM
  #2
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,588
vCash: 567
Ryder is not their Patrice Bergeron. If anything, Bergeron wants to be their Ryder.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
04-07-2004, 09:14 AM
  #3
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
hmm...

not a bad little article. You might disagree with his opinion, but overall, I like the article. When was the last time that a Montreal newspaper gave a scouting report on opposing players that gave their tendancies

ex:
C MIKE RIBEIRO, . Likes to pass behind the defender, hitting his teammates while they are breaking, not standing still (got that, Hal Gill?) . . . If you don't have your head on a swivel, he will make you look silly.

If this was written in Montreal, the Gazette would have focussed on the player's weight and his contract. The Journal or RDS focus on a player being from Quebec or not.

Sometimes we forget that there are journalists out there that actually look at what is happening on the ice, not just what they can see from the line up card.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 09:26 AM
  #4
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
hmm...

not a bad little article. You might disagree with his opinion, but overall, I like the article. When was the last time that a Montreal newspaper gave a scouting report on opposing players that gave their tendancies

ex:
C MIKE RIBEIRO, . Likes to pass behind the defender, hitting his teammates while they are breaking, not standing still (got that, Hal Gill?) . . . If you don't have your head on a swivel, he will make you look silly.

If this was written in Montreal, the Gazette would have focussed on the player's weight and his contract. The Journal or RDS focus on a player being from Quebec or not.

Sometimes we forget that there are journalists out there that actually look at what is happening on the ice, not just what they can see from the line up card.
I completely agree. Thats what you call a non-biased, well writen article.

Mooch is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 10:01 AM
  #5
PrairieHabber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Excellent article. Thanks for the link!

The only error I saw was the reference to Perreault:

He's small and quick, a bad mix for Bruins defensemen.

His shot might be quick but he certainly is not.

My favorite line is also about Perreault:

Has been known to cover empty spaces in the defensive zone (a team-worst minus-10 ).

Classic.

Overall a very well-balanced look at the team.

PrairieHabber is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 10:17 AM
  #6
jimnevets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: St. Petersburg
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Not a bad article but saying Ryder is our Bergeron is like saying Koivu is our Green.

jimnevets is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 10:26 AM
  #7
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnevets
Not a bad article but saying Ryder is our Bergeron is like saying Koivu is our Green.

how so?

Both rookies?

Both excellent players.

Ryder seems to be more a goal score, and Bergeron more a play maker.

I'd say considering they are both top rookies, it gets the point across

How is Ryder defensivley? gotta admit i never payed much attention to his play away from the puck?


bb_fan is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 10:37 AM
  #8
Sonik
Registered User
 
Sonik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Proud Habs Land
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
How is Ryder defensivley? gotta admit i never payed much attention to his play away from the puck?
He's always the first to back-check when he plays with Ribs.

He does the job in his zone, but he ain't Joe "Defensive specialist" Juneau!

Sonik is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 11:03 AM
  #9
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Ryder is not their Patrice Bergeron. If anything, Bergeron wants to be their Ryder.
If in FIVE years (when Bergeron is Ryder's age) Bergeron only is a 60 point player you might be on to something, but seeing Bergeron is an 18 year old kid who only played one year of Major Junior I will take our chances with him. Again though, whatever makes you feel better.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 11:22 AM
  #10
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
the one statement i had problems with is that they think Raycroft will win rookie of the year by a landslide...i think its going to be very close whether Ryder or Raycroft wins it but they are ahead of anyone else by a landslide

HabsoluteFate is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 12:15 PM
  #11
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,538
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Jan Bulis, a.k.a. Bully, is one of 10 Canadiens with 10 or more goals . . . The only reason to dress


? Only reason to dress. He's our best forechecker and best 2-way player.

CoupeStanley is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 12:37 PM
  #12
Brownies
Registered User
 
Brownies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Writing an Haiku or watching an habs game
Posts: 2,938
vCash: 500
They say that Perreault is small and FAST !!!

Brownies is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 01:01 PM
  #13
HabsKraut
Registered User
 
HabsKraut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Jan Bulis, a.k.a. Bully, is one of 10 Canadiens with 10 or more goals . . . The only reason to dress


? Only reason to dress. He's our best forechecker and best 2-way player.

Well, it's more like this:

"The only reason to dress Darren Langdon is if the Bruins suit up Doug Doull."

HabsKraut is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 01:11 PM
  #14
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsKraut
Well, it's more like this:

"The only reason to dress Darren Langdon is if the Bruins suit up Doug Doull."
Yeah, I almost thought that they were calling Craig Rivet a large rookie.

Dagenais isn't a rookie, is he?

Frank Drebin is online now  
Old
04-07-2004, 01:12 PM
  #15
chicpea*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
i think its going to be very close whether Ryder or Raycroft wins it but they are ahead of anyone else by a landslide
I agree with you, it will be very close. The Forecaster yesterday gve the nod to Ryder though (linky ). Still, most others give it to Raycroft.

chicpea* is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 01:24 PM
  #16
jimnevets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: St. Petersburg
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
how so?

Both rookies?

Both excellent players.

Ryder seems to be more a goal score, and Bergeron more a play maker.

I'd say considering they are both top rookies, it gets the point across

How is Ryder defensivley? gotta admit i never payed much attention to his play away from the puck?

Not taking anything away from Bergeron, I like the guy, just was a little disappointed that the author couldn't say anything about Ryder other than he is a rookie like Bergeron. It's like saying Koivu is like Green, they are both Centers. Just doesn't tell you anything.
It is a good article but looks like it could be written by Chad Kilger, starts strong and floats the rest of the way

jimnevets is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 01:25 PM
  #17
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsKraut
Well, it's more like this:

"The only reason to dress Darren Langdon is if the Bruins suit up Doug Doull."
Exactly.......so whats the point. Let them fight in between periods if you want to give the crowd a show. It is time to play hockey and be done with meaningless goon on goon fights.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
04-07-2004, 02:14 PM
  #18
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Downtown MTL
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
If in FIVE years (when Bergeron is Ryder's age) Bergeron only is a 60 point player you might be on to something, but seeing Bergeron is an 18 year old kid who only played one year of Major Junior I will take our chances with him. Again though, whatever makes you feel better.

Different players, at different times of thier career...many ups and downs to come for both, but Ryder seems to play so calmly...call him a "seasoned rookie"

Good point though, Ryder did not do much when he was 18.
Hats off to Bergeron.

But he ain't no RYDER!!!!

PS.. I love this banana guy

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.