HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel

Old
09-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Kessel

Boston globe columnist Kevin Dupont is says today that he is hearing that while Toronto looks poised to make an offer sheet he is also hearing Nashville and the Rangers are in the mix.

Thoughts on what prospects you would dish for Kessel?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:57 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Wasn't he just traded to St. Louis?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Would I have posted this if he just got traded to St Louis....or were you trying to be funny?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would say the Predators would move any defensive prospect outside of Ellis and Blum. Laakso, Franson, Josi, Roussel --> one of the four would be in the deal. I could also see the Predators parting with a goalie prospect - Dekanich or Smith? In terms of draft picks, it would probably depend on the price of contract that would need to be given out.....a first round pick is possible. On the forward front, I doubt the Predators would include any of their significant forward prospects, but they might send over one of the Ads forwards.

09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
No, that was "a training exercise."

The Predators cannot afford to pay Kessel what he wants.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:35 AM
lightning_legwand*

Didn't Kessel just have major surgery?? If we are gonna throw alot out to acquire him, I would want to see him play for a few months to make sure he has fully recovered.

But right now, I would offer something like,

Roman Josi, Jeremy Smith, 2nd round pick, and conditional pick based on Kessel's production with us.

But If we are not unloading any current roster players, how could we afford to add Kessel to the mix??

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
goalscorer

I would absolutely love to have Kessel on our squad. Some of the reviews I've read have talked about our players character and desire to win. I would say he fits that description. Like his style of play and would enjoy seing him play with Wilson or any of our players for that matter. Wont get my hopes up, but Im at least excited to be talking about it.

My biggest hope besides getting him is that he doesnt go to St. Louis.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I would give up quite a bit for Kessel. We would have to make some moves to fit him in salary wise, but it would be worth it. Well, how much is he asking anyway?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
goalscorer

No idea what he's asking. I'm sure it's more than we've got to spend, but like others have stated if we can move some guys around, maybe. I would give a lot as well. I truly enjoy watching him play. Great shot, good hands. Could become a fan favorite and possibly a player we could build around if we lose guys like Sully or Dumont in the near futrure.

I don't even care if he's hurt right now. I'd buy the kids jersey and wait patently to see what he does for our squad. I recently moved from Nashville (2 and a half hours away) I would defenately make the drive more often to see him play. Hear that Freeman- potential season ticket holder if you can make it happen, lol.

Old
09-06-2009, 05:39 PM
predfan24

Kessel would be nice but the only way we could afford him is if we moved someone who makes a comparable salary to what Kessel is likely to get. Someone like Erat for example. But obviously since Boston is already 4 million or so above the cap they won't be taking any salary back. A trade is impossible between us and Bos. We can't afford another 4.5 -5.0 million and Bos can't take money back.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
goalscorer

good point.

unrelated to that point...
I'm not gonna be one of the many to bash Poile and gonna try not to whine, but its disheartening waiting to see if legs and erat will ever/can play to the level of their contracts. i like both of them as players, but at the same time I see players who produce a lot more for the same cap hit. Call me unloyal, but I dont care a bit about legs being our first ever draft pick. Put up or ship out.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:44 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Would I have posted this if he just got traded to St Louis....or were you trying to be funny?
No need to be snooty, I assumed he had been traded to St. Louis since a few days ago there was a lot of talk around here about how we were going to do even worse against the Blues now that they added Kessel.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:30 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
i like both of them as players, but at the same time I see players who produce a lot more for the same cap hit. Call me unloyal, but I dont care a bit about legs being our first ever draft pick. Put up or ship out.
I don't know if the stats back me up, but to me it seems as if we play like crap with Leggy out of the lineup, and a lot better when he's in. Of course that's true for any significant player, but I think we really feel his absence. He harrasses opposing forwards well and creates turnovers. Plus he seems one of our few who can consistently get the puck through the neutral zone without it always being a dump and chase.

If Leggy had more powerplay time, and I think he deserves it, he'd have a much bigger rep as a goal scorer. Of course the coaches see him every day and don't use him on the powerplay, so what do I know. Yet he still gets high amount of minutes. So he does something...

Someone like Kessel with Erat and Legwand? Wow... I think they'd be even better then with someone like Kariya. That line doesn't need playmakers they need a sniper, a finisher. Someone such as Colin Wilson will probably do well with someone like that also. Or O'Reilly.

The only player I can see for Kessel, is Hamhuis. Because we'd have to shed at least a couple million yet not give Boston too much salary back. We'd replace Hammer with a near entry level 600k D-man... It wouldn't be a straight salary swap, but thinking of what Hammer will require to retain it would be within a million a year I think. $4.5 mill for Kessel long term? $3.5 to 4 per year for Hamhuis?

I think we could afford Kessel with some creativity. But I don't think our defense could survive this year without Hamhuis. So I doubt it will happen. I'm not worried about Kessel's health. In fact, some doubts are the only reason we would possibly be able to afford him, and also trade for him.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:34 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The only way we get Kessel is by trading with someone else to remove salary, possibly a deal involving Hamhuis for a draft pick and low paid, veteran Dman. Then, we have to give prospects and/or picks to Boston. They will not be taking salary that we try to dump in order to pay Kessel.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:48 AM
OpenWheel

They don't need goaltending do they? Too bad, because we could dump our backup (Ellis) salary on them (or someone else) and gamble, roll the dice with Dekanich or someone else. Maybe lose both Hammer and Ellis and really gamble... Give our young assets chance to increase their value by jumping into the fire. Yikes, lol...

I'd do it because I really like what I've seen of Kessel. Which isn't much, but I think he could have great years here. We have some playmaking assets in the system, but not really the finishers.

Old
09-07-2009, 10:03 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
That would be team suicide. That is the kind of thing that GMs of perennially bad teams do.

Crippling the defensive side of the team to get someone that might put up some goals....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 10:13 AM
OpenWheel

Bad GM's also don't plan ahead. I'm afraid we lose Hamhuis for little when we decide we can't afford his next contract. I'm not thinking that a cheap veteran working working with Sulzer, or Laakso, or Franson, or Blum with Rinne in goal would qualify as a "crippled" defense. But sure, it may be...for this year.

The facts are if we are going to stay low on the payroll we need to gamble. We're not going to win the cup by just paying what everyone already knows guys are worth. We need young guys who we can afford to have big years. If we want to just play safe, we can have fun rooting for that 8th playoff spot every year or every couple years. I can't see adding scoriing, keeping Hammer and Rinne to be possible. So I'd settle for scoring and Rinne.

I'd say an offer sheet try for Kessel would be better then losing Hamhuis, but we have to get him for less money then that. His contract demands have been indicated to be fair at the 4 to 4.5 mil level. But I don't know if that means he'd play for Nashville at that amount. That may be a home town discount to stay with Boston.

Anyway, it's a pipe dream. We probably can't add scoring until some of the big guns on the top line leave with their 4 million plus levels. They are all aging. But then we're just trading off scoring. I guess our hope for scoring is Wilson and some of the other young guys.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-07-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old
09-07-2009, 12:21 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
The only way the Preds will get something out of Hamhuis, if Poile doesn't think he'll re-sign him, is at the trade deadline. He can't be replaced at the beginning of the season by some low priced veteran. Maybe if the kids are getting the job done toward the end of the season you can look at a trade but not until then.

But even then if the team is in the playoff hunt, do want to get rid of your most experienced defensemen?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 02:52 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't think anyone expects us to make any moves in an effort to get Kessel, or anyone else for that matter. The trade deadline would be the most logical time to move Hamhuis, but I only see Poile looking at that possibility if he doesn't believe he'll be able to resign Hammer.

More likely Poile will trust that he can get a contract negotiated, and then after the season trade his rights to Philly if it looks bad.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
With the NTC's/NMC's in play, the only movable salary that the Predators realistically have is Dan Ellis. Hamhuis would need to be replaced by at least one, if not two, players of similar value that would honestly probably lower our talent level on defense, despite improving our depth at the position...

Currently, the Predators have given Arnott, Dumont, Sullivan, and Erat NMC's and Legwand an NTC.

That is the core of this franchise for the next 2 years. Weber and/or Suter should also get NTC/NMC's and Hamhuis might want one as well with his new contract. This is a franchise that is/must be built from within. Kessel is a luxury that I simply can't see us working in right now without a serious change in organizational philosophy...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:23 PM
echlfreak

Option 1:

Kessel to Nashville for Wilson, Blum and Nashville's 1st in 2010

Then sign him to a 6 year 4-4.5M per year deal.

Option 2:

Offer sheet at 4 years 4M per season which you know Boston can not afford. Then lose a 1st and a 3rd for 2010.

Easy choice would be option 2 because Kessel is a 5th overall player and you know that Nashville will not have another top 10 pick next summer. Kessel is a bonafide 30+ goal scorer and is very young still. He would be a legit player to throw long term money at unlike Erat and Legwand.

The future would be Kessel, Suter, Weber. Three Olympians to base your team around.

Problem is that I don't think Poile is willing to get his fingers dirty with an offer sheet

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Option 1:

That is a brutal brutal trade for us.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
echlfreak

brutal trade but wait and see

Old
09-07-2009, 08:37 PM
echlfreak

Dumont-Arnott-Sullivan
Kessel-Legwand-Erat
Ward-O'Reilly-Santorelli
Tootoo-Smithson-Guite
Belak

Suter-Weber
Hamhuis-Klein
Sulzer-Veteran D
Franson

Rinne-Ellis

=second round for the first time in team history

Old
09-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Option 1:

Then sign him to a 6 year 4-4.5M per year deal.

Option 2:

Offer sheet at 4 years 4M per season which you know Boston can not afford. Then lose a 1st and a 3rd for 2010.

Easy choice would be option 2 because Kessel is a 5th overall player and you know that Nashville will not have another top 10 pick next summer. Kessel is a bonafide 30+ goal scorer and is very young still. He would be a legit player to throw long term money at unlike Erat and Legwand.

The future would be Kessel, Suter, Weber. Three Olympians to base your team around.

Problem is that I don't think Poile is willing to get his fingers dirty with an offer sheet
When is Phil Kessel expected back this season ? ... December ? January ? ... and we're gonna give someone who's hit or miss (health wise) that amount of $ ? ... ****

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote