Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

OT - Sorry! Facebook Scam

Old
09-19-2009, 08:29 AM
sarge88

vCash: 500
OT - Sorry! Facebook Scam

Mods, sorry for the OT but I thought this was important for as many as possible to hear.

I was on FB this morning and a friend posted that she was in need of help urgently. I instant messaged her and asked what was up.

She told me that she was robbed while on vacation in London and was at the police station and had no money, credit cards etc.

I asked her if she wanted me to call anyone for her or do anything else.

She then asked me to send her money so she could get home.

I told her I would but I wanted to make sure this wasn't a scam. I asked her how we knew each other.

She wrote back that she couldn't believe that I would question her. I wrote back, that she knew I'd help but I needed to be sure it was her.

I asked again, she answered the question wrong.

I tried to keep "her" on IM while I posted a message on her wall about this scam but by the time I finished typing the message, "she" deleted me as a friend.

I got in touch with a mutual friend who has her phone #, which I didn't and asked her to call to let her know.

Sorry again for the OT thread, but with so many of us on FB I thought people should be aware.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:31 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Is this a " real life " friend or strictly a facebook friendship?

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:33 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Is this a " real life " friend or strictly a facebook friendship?
Real life. Former employee.

Someone must have got into her FB account and tried to get people to send "her" money.

Old
09-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Bruinator

This scam has been widely publicized. You are not the first. What the scammer does is gain access to the facebook password of an individual through some sort of viral or trojan hack. They then change the password and take over that person's facebook sight. Next step is to messege all the contacts and ask for financial help due to a major problem! There are some really sick pieces of **** out there who would take adavntage of others' generosity and compassion. Disgusting!

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:53 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
This scam has been widely publicized. You are not the first. What the scammer does is gain access to the facebook password of an individual through some sort of viral or trojan hack. They then change the password and take over that person's facebook sight. Next step is to messege all the contacts and ask for financial help due to a major problem! There are some really sick pieces of **** out there who would take adavntage of others' generosity and compassion. Disgusting!
A co-worker just told me they had heard of it before too.

Weird feeling knowing you almost got scammed.

If the scammer somehow convinced me it was really my friend, I would have sent her money.

If she did get the first question right, I would have followed up to be sure though.

Old
09-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Same thing happened to a friend of my mothers. Not only does it have the potential to scam you financially, but it also can freak people out and make them worried about their friends who aren't in any real danger at all. It is quite sickening.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:07 AM
FutureConsiderations

Yeah the same thing happened to my friend. They went onto his AIM account, too.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:39 AM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
A co-worker just told me they had heard of it before too.

Weird feeling knowing you almost got scammed.

If the scammer somehow convinced me it was really my friend, I would have sent her money.

If she did get the first question right, I would have followed up to be sure though.
good for you Sarge. way to be heads up.

was it a general question, only she would know ?

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:58 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post
good for you Sarge. way to be heads up.

was it a general question, only she would know ?
I asked "her" to tell me how we met.

If "she" got that right, I would have asked her who my boss was at the time.

If "she" got that right, I probably would have sent her some money.

Old
09-19-2009, 04:12 PM
RealKrug47*

scams are just so often now. every thing these days is a scam. good thing you didnt fall for it.

RealKrug47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:19 PM
FutureConsiderations

Gotta wonder how they gained access to her account.

With all these third-party apps on facebook having access to a lot of information and passwords being required for some of them, it may have come gift-wrapped for the con artists.

Old
09-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Seguins Dragon*

just another reason to aviod the privacy infringing facebook....

never have, never will participate... thing is evil... and i am serious when i say that...

its sooooooooooo easy to track who you are, your circle of friends, where you will be, etc...

sorry, i like privacy

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:22 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
just another reason to aviod the privacy infringing facebook....

never have, never will participate... thing is evil... and i am serious when i say that...

its sooooooooooo easy to track who you are, your circle of friends, where you will be, etc...

sorry, i like privacy
It's only as easy as you make it. There are plenty of privacy settings and you have to give consent for third-parties to access your information.

Old
09-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
It's only as easy as you make it. There are plenty of privacy settings and you have to give consent for third-parties to access your information.

1) the privacy thing i mentioned before

2) Nothing my mother or father uses is cool (I know that sounds teenagerish from a mid 20 something) but seriously... as soon as my parents get ahold of it, it instantly turns to lame

3) the social awkwardness it can cause...I am like Larry David in that I hate social conflict or awkwardness... so its like someone asks for an invite to facebook, you really don't feel your friends with them or to close so you deny it, the next week you bump into the same person and they ask why...its like...awkward...and I have seen this happen to people

4) its a drama machine, plain and simple... as mentioned before regarding my parents using it, my mom is asking why someone she hasn't talked to in 3 years except on FB has removed her from a friend

5) It's a part of this whole selfish "me generation" going on now... like people have 2000+ pics of themselves on facebook... that is INSANE... then you have twitter which is just used to make people feel important (exception to rule is actual useful info like say baseball game is a rainout posted on twitter, kessel traded etc..) but 80% of it is junk like "I haad the clb sndwhich 4 lnch it waz gud"

6) the CIA...maybe I will sound some sort of loon or something. But I actually read somewhere (believe it was INFOWARS...yes, now confirmed I am a whacko conspiracy guy) and it basically said that facebook was made by the CIA to track people, their circle of friends and their social network so if they need to apprehend or research someone its easy to figure out the points to squeeze...

sorry little tangent there

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:39 PM
MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Quote:

2) Nothing my mother or father uses is cool (I know that sounds teenagerish from a mid 20 something) but seriously... as soon as my parents get ahold of it, it instantly turns to lame

3) the social awkwardness it can cause...I am like Larry David in that I hate social conflict or awkwardness... so its like someone asks for an invite to facebook, you really don't feel your friends with them or to close so you deny it, the next week you bump into the same person and they ask why...its like...awkward...and I have seen this happen to people

4) its a drama machine, plain and simple... as mentioned before regarding my parents using it, my mom is asking why someone she hasn't talked to in 3 years except on FB has removed her from a friend

5) It's a part of this whole selfish "me generation" going on now... like people have 2000+ pics of themselves on facebook... that is INSANE... then you have twitter which is just used to make people feel important (exception to rule is actual useful info like say baseball game is a rainout posted on twitter, kessel traded etc..) but 80% of it is junk like "I haad the clb sndwhich 4 lnch it waz gud"

6) the CIA...maybe I will sound some sort of loon or something. But I actually read somewhere (believe it was INFOWARS...yes, now confirmed I am a whacko conspiracy guy) and it basically said that facebook was made by the CIA to track people, their circle of friends and their social network so if they need to apprehend or research someone its easy to figure out the points to squeeze...

It's okay, fb sucks. I dig privacy as well and don't really need every plonker I know seeing everything that I do or think.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
NHRonin

Same thing happened to me today.

My Facebook friend named Phil IM'ed me and said he was being held hostage in Toronto and asked me to send him money to get home to Boston.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
sarge88

Quote:

I see that side of it entirely. For me it's just a good way to keep up with friends and relatives that I'd otherwise be in contact with 5 times or less per year.

In the time I've been on, it really has been more good than bad for me. Reconnecting with childhood friends, making some business contacts etc.

Some people do go crazy with it though - what 35 year old has 534 "friends"?

Old
09-19-2009, 06:52 PM
MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
I see that side of it entirely. For me it's just a good way to keep up with friends and relatives that I'd otherwise be in contact with 5 times or less per year.

In the time I've been on, it really has been more good than bad for me. Reconnecting with childhood friends, making some business contacts etc.

Some people do go crazy with it though - what 35 year old has 534 "friends"?
lol I'm 29 and I can count the people I consider friends on one hand.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:55 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
scams are just so often now. every thing these days is a scam. good thing you didnt fall for it.
Are you trying to tell me that the African Prince Ngwai Krapolla will not be sending me a check for 18.25 million dollars ???? I wish you had told me before I sent him that money order for $2,000. He seemed so sincere and trustworthy in his e-mail.

BostonBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:00 PM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

but 80% of it is junk like "I haad the clb sndwhich 4 lnch it waz gud"
e
Agreed.