HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Kovalev

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2004, 07:47 PM
pitthockey81

vCash: 500
Alexei Kovalev

Latest word out of Montreal was that they booed him everytime he touched the puck. With Kovalev becoming a free-agent this summer, I would find no more join in the world than having him come back to the burgh. Anyone else's thoughts...

Just tell me Lemieux, Jackman, Tarnstrom, Kovalev, and Malone wouldn't be a sick powerplay.

Old
04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
PensFan68

I wouldn't mind Kovy coming back at all, but people are really getting to excited about it. He'll more than likely still go for the money, don't forget, he needs to feed his family.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68
I wouldn't mind Kovy coming back at all, but people are really getting to excited about it. He'll more than likely still go for the money, don't forget, he needs to feed his family.
Well Kovy has made millions so he can feed the fam, and plus if he signs for 4-5 million he can feed them even more . I know what you mean though, but i think he'd be great for either Ovechkin or Malkin.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Til the End of Time

In one way I want Kovalev to come back

He was one of my favorite players, entertaining as hell, and just a good all around guy it seems.

But on the other hand, I am not sure where he would fit in on a rebuilding team.
He probably wouldn't put us over the top or put us into cup contention. He would also take away valuable PP time from a young guy. He is a risky player and sometimes a defensive liability, and I think this team, overall, needs to be more defensively responsible. Obviously he would cost something. And he may not regain his old form if he puts on the black and gold again

So I, frankly, don't know.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
In one way I want Kovalev to come back

He was one of my favorite players, entertaining as hell, and just a good all around guy it seems.

But on the other hand, I am not sure where he would fit in on a rebuilding team.
He probably wouldn't put us over the top or put us into cup contention. He would also take away valuable PP time from a young guy. He is a risky player and sometimes a defensive liability, and I think this team, overall, needs to be more defensively responsible. Obviously he would cost something. And he may not regain his old form if he puts on the black and gold again

So I, frankly, don't know.
Well EDZO has played with him, if he doesn't think he can take him on, then he won't be here. If he is here i'll be the happiest fan

Old
04-05-2004, 08:16 PM
pitthockey81

I strongly disagree...with the growing likelyhood of the Pens drafting one of the top two russians in the upcoming draft, they need a mentor who can help them. Morozov has been quoted as saying that the addition of kovalev really helped him become more comfortable. In the last couple months that kovi was here, he often spent extra time after practice with the younger players. What else can you ask for in a veteran player, especially one who is still as beloved as kovi is. He would make an instant impact not only to the locker room but at the ticket lines as well. I can see nothing but good in having him back.

Old
04-05-2004, 08:22 PM
clefty
What?

I don't know. He has a real ego problem

Seriously, my moneys on Kovalev signing with Dallas.

I think its time to move on.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:11 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Seriously, my moneys on Kovalev signing with Dallas.
not as long as they are still paying turgeon and young (1oM right there). i dont see him going to dallas a all.

like ive said before, i would like to see him back but i dont think it will happn. if we get ovechkin, i think the chances of him being back will be 0.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
I'd love to see him back, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up....personally, I think he'd be more suited for the team in a few years from now

Old
04-05-2004, 11:19 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitthockey81
Latest word out of Montreal was that they booed him everytime he touched the puck. With Kovalev becoming a free-agent this summer, I would find no more join in the world than having him come back to the burgh. Anyone else's thoughts...

Just tell me Lemieux, Jackman, Tarnstrom, Kovalev, and Malone wouldn't be a sick powerplay.
I mentioned this over a week ago while I was at a game (Sens @ Habs).
They did booo him and the recent word is that he still really likes Pittsburgh.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:21 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
not as long as they are still paying turgeon and young (1oM right there). i dont see him going to dallas a all.

like ive said before, i would like to see him back but i dont think it will happn. if we get ovechkin, i think the chances of him being back will be 0.
Yeah, but I don't think a few guys will return (Young, DiMaio) through retirement, freeing up some space for someone like Kovalev.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:56 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it will totally depend on who we get in the draft.

If we get Ovechkin, Ovechkin will be ready to play in the NHL next year, whereas if we get Malkin, we'll give him at least another year in Russia/

Also, it will depend on whether Mario plays or not, not only because of the $ issue, but also because of the glut of forwards. If Mario and Ovechkin are in the fold, there is no room for Kovy, without giving up one of Kraft, Beech, Malone, Morozov, Surovy, Koltsov, etc.

I think he will end up in Detroit. I think he would be a great fit there, and when you factor Lang into the equation as well, it makes a lot of sense. Also, considering Straka has blown the big one since being traded to LA, Detroit should pick him up and re-assemle the SLK line.

And, speaking of the Straka trade, if we don't get Ovechkin (ie don't give up a roster spot for him next year), I would not mind seeing Anshakov on the big club.

Old
04-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Unholy Diver

Only if he wants to take about 1-1.5 million bucks

Old
04-06-2004, 02:00 AM
tom_servo

I don't think Kovalev would impede any individual progress in any way. But how much is there to gain?

Kovalev is an NHL veteran, a quiet leader, a Russian (for our draftee to be named later), an exciting fan favorite, and an all-around nice guy. To sign him for a more modest sum would be icing.

But is there such thing as too much of a good thing?

Let's say Kovy's presence would represent a ten-point improvement in the standings over 82 games. Had it been this year, it would've dropped us from the #30 spot, poised to take one of the best blue-chip forwards around, to #25, into less charted draft territory. Would it have been worth it just to see #27 skate around again? What if it occurred next season? Are we really willing to sacrifice a chance at the Nova Scotia Kid just to get Kovy back here?

Now, I admit that 10 points may or may not be an accurate representation of Kovy's influence, and that we could very well improve that much without him. But I believe that despite the improvement we saw over the last few weeks, we will be a contending team for that pick.

The entry draft iron is white hot for this team. We can't sacrifice even the mere chance at such a pick for sentimentality and some cosmetic standings points (this goes for Lemieux, too). The hired guns have got to wait. Sign Kovy next year.

Old
04-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Fleuryfan29

Kovy in the Burgh?.....Where do I sign?

Old
04-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Jacob

I'd say the Penguins are already out of the Crosby sweepstakes.

Not saying this team is going to win the cup, but they should at least be out of the bottom 5. Of course, I'm banking on Ovechkin/Malkin stepping in and making at least half-decent contributions right away.

They've had high draft picks for 3 years now, its' now time to start putting them to good use at the NHL level.

A 48% chance at Crosby would be great, but not as great as battling (realistically) for the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2004, 02:19 AM
Fleuryfan29

Yeah but the same can be sid about Columbus and they got another chance this year as well, I even think with the way there team is going they will have a shot at Crosby as well.

Old
04-06-2004, 02:29 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I'd say the Penguins are already out of the Crosby sweepstakes.

Not saying this team is going to win the cup, but they should at least be out of the bottom 5. Of course, I'm banking on Ovechkin/Malkin stepping in and making at least half-decent contributions right away.

They've had high draft picks for 3 years now, its' now time to start putting them to good use at the NHL level.

A 48% chance at Crosby would be great, but not as great as battling (realistically) for the playoffs.
You could very well be right, but a team like Columbus, despite the production of Nash and Zherdev, was in contention for last place until the very end. And our ability to gain standings points next season could easily be derailed by a few untimely injuries. Really, we're not too far removed from The Streak.

I don't think Whitney and Fleury will be put to regular NHL use for a while. After Crosby would be drafted, anyway. Which is to our advantage, knowing that we have many quality young players in the pipe and could still get Crosby.

We finally have our blue-chip forward, so you probably won't see me campaigning for more, *ahem*, competitive compromises next season. I would be sorely disappointed if they did finish last again. But the possibility of honest-to-goodness losing still remains. I just don't want the fringe benefits of that position to be ruined by a few extra victories that Kovalev might provide.

Last edited by tom_servo: 04-06-2004 at 02:34 AM.
Old
04-06-2004, 04:00 AM
Jacob

The difference between us and Columbus is our depth. They have some real, real good top-end guys, but not much supporting them. While we don't have anyone quite the caliber of Zherdev or Nash, but we have about 6 or 7 TK/Koltsov/Morozov types. Basically it's the product of the Penguins having drafts going back further than 4 years.

Quote:
After Crosby would be drafted, anyway. Which is to our advantage, knowing that we have many quality young players in the pipe and could still get Crosby.
Well, we'll still have first round picks and a solid draft record (of late), so we should be able to keep the cupboard stocked without the need of finishing in the bottom 5. I think that should we get Ovechkin, he would very well put us over the top in terms of prospects the future, and all we would have to do then is just wait and let the kids develop. Heck, even without Ovechkin or Malkin I can see this team being significantly better next season just because of so many guys that will be either going into their 2nd pro season, or coming off breakthrough years. I'm also not taking into consideration our late surge of winning, which could very well carry over somewhat, or even a lot.

Quote:
But the possibility of honest-to-goodness losing still remains. I just don't want the fringe benefits of that position to be ruined by a few extra victories that Kovalev might provide.
I do agree with that, but I think where I disagree is the amount of losing. I don't think we should bring in Kovalev just because he's fun to watch, a veteran, and might help us be less worse. I think we should bring him in if we think he can put us over the hump, and get us into the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Spooner

Send a message via AIM to Spooner
Well, we could always just root for a lockout. If the next season is never played, we automatically gain a 48.2% chance at Crosby. Partly why this specific Race to the Bottom was even more important than just getting Ovechkin.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner
Well, we could always just root for a lockout. If the next season is never played, we automatically gain a 48.2% chance at Crosby. Partly why this specific Race to the Bottom was even more important than just getting Ovechkin.
Wow I cant believe that.You guys are rooting for us to loose.Yes, I like the idea of getting Ovechkin or Crosby in the future, but cmon hockey isint about losing to get a good pick(this isnt Ottawa).By the way look at what happened when Ottawa tried that they lost on purpose to get Daigle well that woked well.My point is you try to Win.Kovy would be great for this club.He was and will be.The point in hockey is to give 100% effort and improve.Look at guys like St.Louis and Hrdina they were picked up very late or in St.Louis case not picked at all.Those are the guys you go for to improve a club.Any ways you improve a club by effort and determination not losing on purpose to get a prospect that could turn out to be Daigle. BRING KOVY BACK!!! BRING KOVY!!! BACK!!! BRING!!! KOVY BACK!!!

Old
04-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I figured I'd bring this one back to life becasuse CP has stated that the team is going to sign a big name russian that is not Kovy.Who could it be?Is this just CP bluffing to get a shot at Kovy?

Old
04-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
I figured I'd bring this one back to life becasuse CP has stated that the team is going to sign a big name russian that is not Kovy.Who could it be?Is this just CP bluffing to get a shot at Kovy?
I have heard Alexei Zhamnov's name a few times.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

where are these rumors coming from? i know one was from madden, but are there more reports of this?

also, i'd rather spend the money on kovalev than zhamnov.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
where are these rumors coming from? i know one was from madden, but are there more reports of this?

also, i'd rather spend the money on kovalev than zhamnov.
I got the Zhamnov rumor from Madden.

I agree, I think Kovey is a much better investment than Zhamnov. I feel Kovalev would be a great role model for Malkin. They both play a finesse type of game with lots of fakes and moves. Propbably wouldn't hurt Morozov or Koltsov either.

Closed Thread