HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Kovalev

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 12:37 PM
Jeff Goldblum

vCash: 500
I'd rather have a Kovalev signing. Isn't Zhamnov a center? Malkin is a center also. Sure he could learn from him, but they could never skate on the same line without someone being out of their position. Kovalev was a center but plays predominantly RW. He could help him out on center, and skate on the same line as Malkin. Put KK on the LW and you have one potentially great scoring line.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens4ever
I'd rather have a Kovalev signing. Isn't Zhamnov a center? Malkin is a center also. Sure he could learn from him, but they could never skate on the same line without someone being out of their position. Kovalev was a center but plays predominantly RW. He could help him out on center, and skate on the same line as Malkin. Put KK on the LW and you have one potentially great scoring line.
In the mean time, you put Kovey on the wing and let Malone stand infront of the goal and knock in rebounds,. . . that is if Kovey doesn't score if the first place.

Old
04-13-2004, 03:13 PM
DJ Spinoza

Zhamnov is leaps and bounds better defensively than Kovy. Kovy is one of my favorite players to watch, but I don't know how I feel about where he could be put it, so I have mixed feelings about him returning as I think most of you do.

Finishing low wouldn't be a very bad thing next year, regardless of Crosby. With Brule, Latendresse, and others, the top of next year's draft is supposed to be loaded with top talents. I'd love to see us get Brule somehow.

But I do think the Penguins have a legitimate shot to be decent next year, in the way of not being dead last and grinding their way to a 7th or 8th pre-lotto spot.

Old
04-13-2004, 04:33 PM
tom_servo

I'll never get over these people who think we want to get good picks just for the sake of a nice farm team.

Of course winning is the goal. But teams in the Pens' position win through the draft. And, better players are, on average, found the higher up you pick.

And, since I didn't feel like our system was bountiful enough to possibly fuel a winning team for years, I rooted for them to lose... short-term.

Please, make the connection.

We didn't win the lottery, but I don't regret pulling for those losses. I went with the odds.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
We didn't win the lottery, but I don't regret pulling for those losses. I went with the odds.
I agree, If the Pens did not finish last we would not even have a chance at Malkin, who is considered to be head and shoulders above the rest of the draft class. (That does not include Ovechkin)

Old
04-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Cow_Master66

Last Night

I never really cared to much about Kovy coming back...I was basically 50/50....

But after that stunt last night, it became about 40/60...

It's at about 5/95 after reading this on espn:

"There's nothing you can say about that," said Kovalev, whose right hand was wrapped in a bag of ice. "We ended up in the middle of the ice, and Sheldon ended up losing the puck."

That is the gayest thing I've heard come out of a hockey player since someone said they were "dying alive"...

Old
04-14-2004, 11:42 AM
kovyfalcon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow_Master66
I never really cared to much about Kovy coming back...I was basically 50/50....

But after that stunt last night, it became about 40/60...

It's at about 5/95 after reading this on espn:

"There's nothing you can say about that," said Kovalev, whose right hand was wrapped in a bag of ice. "We ended up in the middle of the ice, and Sheldon ended up losing the puck."

That is the gayest thing I've heard come out of a hockey player since someone said they were "dying alive"...

Oh Boo Hoo. Kovy would have a big impact on us as a mentor and a player, I still don't feel that we will sign him, but you make it seem like having a world class player would be a bad thing because of a comment on a website. I personally don't care what he talks about if helps Koltsov and Malkin and pumps in 80 points, do you?

Old
04-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Spooner

Send a message via AIM to Spooner
So, anyone know if the Habs are looking to keep him? It seems to me he's outstaying his welcome in Montreal, especially with that stunt he pulled last night.

Maybe he'd want to come back to Pittsburgh, where everyone doesn't hate him yet.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Kiel27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner
So, anyone know if the Habs are looking to keep him? It seems to me he's outstaying his welcome in Montreal, especially with that stunt he pulled last night.

Maybe he'd want to come back to Pittsburgh, where everyone doesn't hate him yet.
They may just go the way their fans fell about him, and if you take a visit to the Habs forum you'll see that pretty much all of them, even after last nights fiasco, want him signed up for 3-5.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:31 PM
baldsince16

Send a message via AIM to baldsince16
Email Kovy

I know it sounds stupid and childish because I felt stupid and childish doing it, but I would love to see him back in the burgh. Enough to embarass myself my sending him an email. I figure the Montreal is ripping him a new one today and the truth is I am sure he wouldn't mind hearing some positive things from a few Penguin fans.

Email Kovy

God.... I can't believe I am posting this.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Don't take that quote too literally. You must remember, this is not his first language. I think he just meant that the puck got away from Souray, not that it was Souray's fault that the puck was lost.

I'll say it again, Kovalev would be great here, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll just be kind of disappointed if we spend money on another FA forward if we could have had Kovy.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:41 PM
kovyfalcon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldsince16
I know it sounds stupid and childish because I felt stupid and childish doing it, but I would love to see him back in the burgh. Enough to embarass myself my sending him an email. I figure the Montreal is ripping him a new one today and the truth is I am sure he wouldn't mind hearing some positive things from a few Penguin fans.

Email Kovy

God.... I can't believe I am posting this.
I don't know what's worse, you posting it, or me actually e-mailing him as well

Old
04-14-2004, 10:43 PM
kovyfalcon27

I was also just thinking that I doubt he will ever see either of our e-mails and we will be none the wiser.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:52 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens4ever
I'll say it again, Kovalev would be great here, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll just be kind of disappointed if we spend money on another FA forward if we could have had Kovy.

Kovalev would sell tickets.
I would also be disapointed if we would spend the same money on a washed out vet.
Pavel Bure, for me, would also be an option at a low cost (a la Kariya). For him, it's only tryouts from now on... We've been good at reincarnating players

Thus said, I would love to see Kovalev back. My #1 priority.

Closed Thread