HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Will Boston let Savard go?

Old
09-19-2009, 10:21 AM
kenny878

vCash: 500
Will Boston let Savard go?

With the recent signing of Phil Kessel people say Kessel wont be able to score without the playmaking ability of Savard. Savard is slated to be a UFA next season. And unless Chia clears cap space he'll have t let him go. In my opinion Burke shoudl sign him and let him feed Kessel all day long for 40 plus goals.

Do you think Savard is UFA? Do you think we sign him?

kenny878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

No reason to let him go now

they have the cap room to keep the core intact and the draft picks to add to it.

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny878 View Post
With the recent signing of Phil Kessel people say Kessel wont be able to score without the playmaking ability of Savard. Savard is slated to be a UFA next season. And unless Chia clears cap space he'll have t let him go. In my opinion Burke shoudl sign him and let him feed Kessel all day long for 40 plus goals.

And which Leafs are shown the door for Savard to come in? Grabs, Bozak, Stajan, Kadri, Mitchell?
I'd rather keep the centres we have on the team and in the system.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Unless Savard wants out of Boston, I don't see him going anywhere. Please don't let this turn into Rick Nash.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:46 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Savard would be wise to stay in Boston. They could have a great core intact for a few seasons if all goes well with contracts. But what happens with Bergeron and Krecji? I wonder if they just plan on keeping those three as centers down the middle.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Diskothek

I think part of it will depend on Krejci and Bergeron's production. They have the potential to be the new #1 and #2 centers. Then there has been some hype in training camp about Hamill. If he has a good year in the AHL with some decent call-ups he could then be the #3 next year.

With that being said, we should hopefully have the space to keep him and I'd like to very much for a few more seasons.

We will still have to sign Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart, and Rask as RFAs. Though the only one of those who should ask for a good deal would be Wheeler if he improves greatly from last season, which I think he will.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:58 AM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
No reason to let him go now

they have the cap room to keep the core intact and the draft picks to add to it.
That depends entirely on Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask's contract demands. They also have to fill the spots left by Recchi, Begin, Thornton, Ference and Morris.

If we assume that they resign Savard (it will cost them an extra million per year, at least), then the only significant contract that is coming off of the books is from Morris ($3.3 million).

Recchi = $1.0
Begin = $0.85
Thornton = $.55
Morris = $3.3
Murray's buyout = $1.3*
Ference = $1.625
Total off cap = $8.625

The question is, will $8.625 be enough to give Savard, Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask raises AND replace the 5 players that were lost (replacing them wouldn't cost much)? Probably* not.

If they want to re-sign Savard, they would probably* have to get rid of one or two of Ryder, Kobasew or Sturm.

*Thanks to Diskothek

Last edited by embracedbias: 09-19-2009 at 11:21 AM.
embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Diskothek

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
That depends entirely on Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask's contract demands. They also have to fill the spots left by Recchi, Begin, Thornton, Ference and Morris.

If we assume that they resign Savard (it will cost them an extra million per year, at least), then the only significant contract that is coming off of the books is from Morris ($3.3 million).

Recchi = $1.0
Begin = $0.85
Thornton = $.55
Morris = $3.3
Ference = $1.625
Total off cap = $7.325

The question is, will $7.325 be enough to give Savard, Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask raises AND replace the 5 players that were lost (replacing them wouldn't cost much)? Obviously not.

If they want to re-sign Savard, they would have to get rid of one or two of Ryder, Kobasew or Sturm.
We also have Murray's buyout coming off the cap, another 1.3M

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Stephen

I'd rather just go for Kovalchuk than Savard...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:20 AM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
We also have Murray's buyout coming off the cap, another 1.3M
K, thanks.

Old
09-19-2009, 11:28 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny878 View Post

If he's willing to come at a shorter term deal (3yrs) otherwise I can't see Burke attempting this signing. Honestly I doubt Savard would even agree to anything less then 5yrs, making this signing unlikely.

If Savard does agree:

Immediately Grabs would be on his way out with this signing leaving:

Savard/Bozak as our 1/2.

Kadri could also have an extra year or two (if needed) for development.

IMO Grabs stays until a real replacement comes along and Bozak has all the tools to become a solid #2.

Once Kadri is ready, he becomes part of our 1/2 combo with Bozak.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Paris in Flames

A Savard signing would hopefully NOT be the end of Grabovski. I'd love to see what he could do with a playmaker of Savard's talent. I'd much rather move Grabovski to the wing than ship him out.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post

Recchi = $1.0
Begin = $0.85
Thornton = $.55
Morris = $3.3
Murray's buyout = $1.3*
Ference = $1.625
Total off cap = $8.625

The question is, will $8.625 be enough to give Savard, Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask raises AND replace the 5 players that were lost (replacing them wouldn't cost much)? Probably* not.

If they want to re-sign Savard, they would probably* have to get rid of one or two of Ryder, Kobasew or Sturm.

*Thanks to Diskothek
You forgot the money all those players are currently making in your space estimate. That's about 10 million dollars.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:41 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
You forgot the money all those players are currently making in your space estimate. That's about 10 million dollars.
Nope. That's why I said, will it be enough to pay for the raises.

i.e., Savard's raise would be ~$1-2 million, Lucic and Wheeler's would be ~$2 million (), etc.

I would say that between the five of them, there is at least $10 million worth of raises.

Old
09-19-2009, 03:12 PM
audiotunesx

The Bruins should be in a good position to resign Savard.
Savard is also 32, 33 next year? He's going to want more money than his 5M and a long term contract to go with it. Savard is also in a good position to win the cup with the Bruins. Like Rick Nash, I'm certain he will sign before season end to an extention.

I second the poster above, we have a better chance of signing Ilya Kovalchuk (who is 26 to a long term deal). If we make the playoffs this year, and Atlanta does not, he likely will not sign an extention. We'll be able to clear cap space with letting Vyn Ryan & Stempniak walk, and also by sending Finger down. D will still be good with Bouch, Kaberle, Komi, Schenn, Excelby, White, and Frogren (or another 7th D man from the Marlies).

I'm hoping for Bozak, Kadri or Grabovski to emerge as a #1 center in a few years time. A first line of Kovalcuk-Kardi-Kessel would be something. Combine that with solid D and hopefully some solid goaltending and we should be a consistant playoff team.

audiotunesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:26 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotunesx View Post
The Bruins should be in a good position to resign Savard.
Savard is also 32, 33 next year? He's going to want more money than his 5M and a long term contract to go with it. Savard is also in a good position to win the cup with the Bruins. Like Rick Nash, I'm certain he will sign before season end to an extention.

I second the poster above, we have a better chance of signing Ilya Kovalchuk (who is 26 to a long term deal). If we make the playoffs this year, and Atlanta does not, he likely will not sign an extention. We'll be able to clear cap space with letting Vyn Ryan & Stempniak walk, and also by sending Finger down. D will still be good with Bouch, Kaberle, Komi, Schenn, Excelby, White, and Frogren (or another 7th D man from the Marlies).

I'm hoping for Bozak, Kadri or Grabovski to emerge as a #1 center in a few years time. A first line of Kovalcuk-Kardi-Kessel would be something. Combine that with solid D and hopefully some solid goaltending and we should be a consistant playoff team.
Kovalchuk would be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Savard is as high as I will set them.

Old
09-19-2009, 06:09 PM
mapes

Why would they let him walk? Boston will do all they can to keep him.

If he did leave, however, imagine a Kessel-Savard-Kadri first line?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Why would they let him walk? Boston will do all they can to keep him.
If he did leave, however, imagine a Kessel-Savard-Kadri first line?
Bruin's fan here...I hope the B's resign Savvy. He is excellent and a blast to watch.
Marc plays hockey with so much passion for the game. I would hate to loose him.
If I had to pick between Phil and Savvy I would keep Savvy every time. ...and I like Phil K.

Good luck with Phil K. I wish him the best (except against Boston).

09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I dont think we have space for him although i would want him...i mena we have way too many centers at our hand.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM

I think Boston is going to just sneak under the cap. But even if they're not able to re-sign Savard, I don't think the Leafs want him. He'll be 33 and have maybe 2 or 3 good years left in him. The Leafs want players who can stick around for a while. He's got a good thing going in Boston and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't want to stay.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Raptactics29

If you can sign Savard for 5.5-6.5 you do it.. he's a legit 1st line player and a heart and soul guy!! Obviously great chemistry with Kessel and Stajan should be shown the door real soon anyhow..

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I dont think we have space for him although i would want him...i mena we have way too many centers at our hand.

yeah there is no room for a 100 pt playmaking centre on this team. wayyy too many of those on this team

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
beleaf101

Savard will likely resign with Boston if Boston dosn't blow it, they do have the rep of being cheap. Seems i remember Savard wanted to sign with Toronto last time as a free agent but jfjr was not interested

beleaf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Savard is on record saying that he wants to come back:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...eer-in-boston/

If he'll come back at similar money and a shorter term then I think he'll be back.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Machinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Savard is on record saying that he wants to come back:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...eer-in-boston/

If he'll come back at similar money and a shorter term then I think he'll be back.
If he wants a few more shots at the cup he'll re-sign for the same or cheaper (sweetheart deal).

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote