HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Will Boston let Savard go?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2009, 10:21 AM
  #1
kenny878
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Will Boston let Savard go?

With the recent signing of Phil Kessel people say Kessel wont be able to score without the playmaking ability of Savard. Savard is slated to be a UFA next season. And unless Chia clears cap space he'll have t let him go. In my opinion Burke shoudl sign him and let him feed Kessel all day long for 40 plus goals.

Do you think Savard is UFA? Do you think we sign him?

kenny878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:23 AM
  #2
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,107
vCash: 500
No reason to let him go now

they have the cap room to keep the core intact and the draft picks to add to it.

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
  #3
Barilko14
Registered User
 
Barilko14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Renfrew, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny878 View Post
With the recent signing of Phil Kessel people say Kessel wont be able to score without the playmaking ability of Savard. Savard is slated to be a UFA next season. And unless Chia clears cap space he'll have t let him go. In my opinion Burke shoudl sign him and let him feed Kessel all day long for 40 plus goals.

Do you think Savard is UFA? Do you think we sign him?
And which Leafs are shown the door for Savard to come in? Grabs, Bozak, Stajan, Kadri, Mitchell?
I'd rather keep the centres we have on the team and in the system.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:37 AM
  #4
Paris in Flames
Registered User
 
Paris in Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 50
Unless Savard wants out of Boston, I don't see him going anywhere. Please don't let this turn into Rick Nash.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:46 AM
  #5
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,280
vCash: 500
Savard would be wise to stay in Boston. They could have a great core intact for a few seasons if all goes well with contracts. But what happens with Bergeron and Krecji? I wonder if they just plan on keeping those three as centers down the middle.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:53 AM
  #6
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
I think part of it will depend on Krejci and Bergeron's production. They have the potential to be the new #1 and #2 centers. Then there has been some hype in training camp about Hamill. If he has a good year in the AHL with some decent call-ups he could then be the #3 next year.

With that being said, we should hopefully have the space to keep him and I'd like to very much for a few more seasons.

We will still have to sign Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart, and Rask as RFAs. Though the only one of those who should ask for a good deal would be Wheeler if he improves greatly from last season, which I think he will.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:58 AM
  #7
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
No reason to let him go now

they have the cap room to keep the core intact and the draft picks to add to it.
That depends entirely on Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask's contract demands. They also have to fill the spots left by Recchi, Begin, Thornton, Ference and Morris.

If we assume that they resign Savard (it will cost them an extra million per year, at least), then the only significant contract that is coming off of the books is from Morris ($3.3 million).

Recchi = $1.0
Begin = $0.85
Thornton = $.55
Morris = $3.3
Murray's buyout = $1.3*
Ference = $1.625
Total off cap = $8.625

The question is, will $8.625 be enough to give Savard, Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask raises AND replace the 5 players that were lost (replacing them wouldn't cost much)? Probably* not.

If they want to re-sign Savard, they would probably* have to get rid of one or two of Ryder, Kobasew or Sturm.

*Thanks to Diskothek


Last edited by embracedbias: 09-19-2009 at 11:21 AM.
embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
  #8
Diskothek
Registered User
 
Diskothek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
That depends entirely on Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask's contract demands. They also have to fill the spots left by Recchi, Begin, Thornton, Ference and Morris.

If we assume that they resign Savard (it will cost them an extra million per year, at least), then the only significant contract that is coming off of the books is from Morris ($3.3 million).

Recchi = $1.0
Begin = $0.85
Thornton = $.55
Morris = $3.3
Ference = $1.625
Total off cap = $7.325

The question is, will $7.325 be enough to give Savard, Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask raises AND replace the 5 players that were lost (replacing them wouldn't cost much)? Obviously not.

If they want to re-sign Savard, they would have to get rid of one or two of Ryder, Kobasew or Sturm.
We also have Murray's buyout coming off the cap, another 1.3M

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:17 AM
  #9
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,182
vCash: 500
I'd rather just go for Kovalchuk than Savard...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:20 AM
  #10
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
We also have Murray's buyout coming off the cap, another 1.3M
K, thanks.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:28 AM
  #11
LTL
Registered User
 
LTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.T
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny878 View Post
With the recent signing of Phil Kessel people say Kessel wont be able to score without the playmaking ability of Savard. Savard is slated to be a UFA next season. And unless Chia clears cap space he'll have t let him go. In my opinion Burke shoudl sign him and let him feed Kessel all day long for 40 plus goals.

Do you think Savard is UFA? Do you think we sign him?
If he's willing to come at a shorter term deal (3yrs) otherwise I can't see Burke attempting this signing. Honestly I doubt Savard would even agree to anything less then 5yrs, making this signing unlikely.

If Savard does agree:

Immediately Grabs would be on his way out with this signing leaving:

Savard/Bozak as our 1/2.

Kadri could also have an extra year or two (if needed) for development.

IMO Grabs stays until a real replacement comes along and Bozak has all the tools to become a solid #2.

Once Kadri is ready, he becomes part of our 1/2 combo with Bozak.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:03 PM
  #12
Paris in Flames
Registered User
 
Paris in Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,317
vCash: 50
A Savard signing would hopefully NOT be the end of Grabovski. I'd love to see what he could do with a playmaker of Savard's talent. I'd much rather move Grabovski to the wing than ship him out.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:06 PM
  #13
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
That depends entirely on Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask's contract demands. They also have to fill the spots left by Recchi, Begin, Thornton, Ference and Morris.

If we assume that they resign Savard (it will cost them an extra million per year, at least), then the only significant contract that is coming off of the books is from Morris ($3.3 million).

Recchi = $1.0
Begin = $0.85
Thornton = $.55
Morris = $3.3
Murray's buyout = $1.3*
Ference = $1.625
Total off cap = $8.625

The question is, will $8.625 be enough to give Savard, Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart and Rask raises AND replace the 5 players that were lost (replacing them wouldn't cost much)? Probably* not.

If they want to re-sign Savard, they would probably* have to get rid of one or two of Ryder, Kobasew or Sturm.

*Thanks to Diskothek
You forgot the money all those players are currently making in your space estimate. That's about 10 million dollars.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:41 PM
  #14
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
You forgot the money all those players are currently making in your space estimate. That's about 10 million dollars.
Nope. That's why I said, will it be enough to pay for the raises.

i.e., Savard's raise would be ~$1-2 million, Lucic and Wheeler's would be ~$2 million (), etc.

I would say that between the five of them, there is at least $10 million worth of raises.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:12 PM
  #15
audiotunesx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
The Bruins should be in a good position to resign Savard.
Savard is also 32, 33 next year? He's going to want more money than his 5M and a long term contract to go with it. Savard is also in a good position to win the cup with the Bruins. Like Rick Nash, I'm certain he will sign before season end to an extention.

I second the poster above, we have a better chance of signing Ilya Kovalchuk (who is 26 to a long term deal). If we make the playoffs this year, and Atlanta does not, he likely will not sign an extention. We'll be able to clear cap space with letting Vyn Ryan & Stempniak walk, and also by sending Finger down. D will still be good with Bouch, Kaberle, Komi, Schenn, Excelby, White, and Frogren (or another 7th D man from the Marlies).

I'm hoping for Bozak, Kadri or Grabovski to emerge as a #1 center in a few years time. A first line of Kovalcuk-Kardi-Kessel would be something. Combine that with solid D and hopefully some solid goaltending and we should be a consistant playoff team.

audiotunesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:26 PM
  #16
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotunesx View Post
The Bruins should be in a good position to resign Savard.
Savard is also 32, 33 next year? He's going to want more money than his 5M and a long term contract to go with it. Savard is also in a good position to win the cup with the Bruins. Like Rick Nash, I'm certain he will sign before season end to an extention.

I second the poster above, we have a better chance of signing Ilya Kovalchuk (who is 26 to a long term deal). If we make the playoffs this year, and Atlanta does not, he likely will not sign an extention. We'll be able to clear cap space with letting Vyn Ryan & Stempniak walk, and also by sending Finger down. D will still be good with Bouch, Kaberle, Komi, Schenn, Excelby, White, and Frogren (or another 7th D man from the Marlies).

I'm hoping for Bozak, Kadri or Grabovski to emerge as a #1 center in a few years time. A first line of Kovalcuk-Kardi-Kessel would be something. Combine that with solid D and hopefully some solid goaltending and we should be a consistant playoff team.
Kovalchuk would be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Savard is as high as I will set them.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:09 PM
  #17
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,442
vCash: 500
Why would they let him walk? Boston will do all they can to keep him.

If he did leave, however, imagine a Kessel-Savard-Kadri first line?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
  #18
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 25,737
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Why would they let him walk? Boston will do all they can to keep him.
If he did leave, however, imagine a Kessel-Savard-Kadri first line?
Bruin's fan here...I hope the B's resign Savvy. He is excellent and a blast to watch.
Marc plays hockey with so much passion for the game. I would hate to loose him.
If I had to pick between Phil and Savvy I would keep Savvy every time. ...and I like Phil K.

Good luck with Phil K. I wish him the best (except against Boston).

__________________
It's going to be a long Summer.
Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
  #19
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,506
vCash: 500
I dont think we have space for him although i would want him...i mena we have way too many centers at our hand.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
  #20
080
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
I think Boston is going to just sneak under the cap. But even if they're not able to re-sign Savard, I don't think the Leafs want him. He'll be 33 and have maybe 2 or 3 good years left in him. The Leafs want players who can stick around for a while. He's got a good thing going in Boston and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't want to stay.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
  #21
Raptactics29
Registered User
 
Raptactics29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 500
If you can sign Savard for 5.5-6.5 you do it.. he's a legit 1st line player and a heart and soul guy!! Obviously great chemistry with Kessel and Stajan should be shown the door real soon anyhow..

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
  #22
Corleone
Registered User
 
Corleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I dont think we have space for him although i would want him...i mena we have way too many centers at our hand.

yeah there is no room for a 100 pt playmaking centre on this team. wayyy too many of those on this team



Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
  #23
beleaf101
Registered User
 
beleaf101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Savard will likely resign with Boston if Boston dosn't blow it, they do have the rep of being cheap. Seems i remember Savard wanted to sign with Toronto last time as a free agent but jfjr was not interested

beleaf101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
  #24
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,347
vCash: 500
Savard is on record saying that he wants to come back:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...eer-in-boston/

If he'll come back at similar money and a shorter term then I think he'll be back.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
  #25
Machinae
Registered User
 
Machinae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Savard is on record saying that he wants to come back:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...eer-in-boston/

If he'll come back at similar money and a shorter term then I think he'll be back.
If he wants a few more shots at the cup he'll re-sign for the same or cheaper (sweetheart deal).

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.