Kessel asked out of Boston as early as July

Old
09-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

vCash: 500
Kessel asked out of Boston as early as July

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291746

BOSTON -- The Bruins did their best to keep restricted free agent Phil Kessel before giving in to his desire to be traded and making a deal with Toronto.

"This is not about frugality," Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli said on Saturday. "There were some significant offers made."

Chiarelli said Kessel told him in July he no longer wanted to play in Boston, and the Bruins traded the rights to the 21-year-old former first-round pick to the Maple Leafs for Toronto's first-round picks in each of the next two drafts plus the Leafs' second-round pick in 2010.

If this is true, then Chia did well to get maximum return for a player who didn't want to be here. I suspected as much, but still wish Kessel good luck in Toronto. Not "Great" luck, but good luck...

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
RealKrug47*

sounds like he never wanted to play here.

RealKrug47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:17 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
sounds like he never wanted to play here.
Truth be told, they wanted the Swede to begin with. And it was a pretty steep dropoff from Kessel to Brassard.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:19 PM
RealKrug47*

only if we were 2 or 3 teams worse, we'd have either Toews or Johnson. i like Kessel, but not the attitude he has, he is a great scorer.

RealKrug47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Bear Pride

Well, then good riddance. I loved Kessel, but I don't like when players think they're bigger than the team they play on.

And, if serious offers (4 mil.) were made by Chiarelli, then I'm glad he got what he did, and I'm glad he signed for over 5, and I hope there's a time this year where Komisarek is standing in front of Kessel, and Lucic runs them both over.

Bear Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:22 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
only if we were 2 or 3 teams worse, we'd have either Toews or Johnson. i like Kessel, but not the attitude he has, he is a great scorer.
All the picks we have now, we may still yet get Toews!

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:55 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...hl-maple_leafs

In this article, it's implied that the genesis of Phil's disillusionment stemmed from his benching in the 2008 playoffs. If that's the case, or if it's a Phil vs. Claude philosophy thing, then, sorry Phil, but Claude wins that one.

Much as I like Phil, if his ego is as big as it is seeming to be as word leaks out here, then keeping him might have been more trouble than it would have been worth.

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
2014 Bruins turned me into South Shore Kings fan
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:05 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...hl-maple_leafs

In this article, it's implied that the genesis of Phil's disillusionment stemmed from his benching in the 2008 playoffs. If that's the case, or if it's a Phil vs. Claude philosophy thing, then, sorry Phil, but Claude wins that one.

Much as I like Phil, if his ego is as big as it is seeming to be as word leaks out here, then keeping him might have been more trouble than it would have been worth.
Kessell didn't express a desire to be traded until shortly after Chia tried to trade him at the June draft. Apparently Phil was offended by Chia's attempt to trade him.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:17 PM
81ragnaH

well, according to phil kessel..."I never once asked to be traded"

said that it seemed like a mutual understanding he should be moved.

81ragnaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:28 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Kessell didn't express a desire to be traded until shortly after Chia tried to trade him at the June draft. Apparently Phil was offended by Chia's attempt to trade him.
And I'm sure Burke's lips were sealed over that whole ordeal

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:59 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post

"I didn't dump her, we both agreed it would be better if we saw other people."

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Czerk

I will defend Kessel even if he didn't want to play here. He was our premeire forward plain and simple, but all he got was bad mouth by the coach and everybody's favorite NHL BEAT writer (locally).

Then the coach always put him on the 2nd PP unit (which only gets 20-30% of PP time) and has threaten to bench him, etc.

Good for you Kessel. If you felt the B's coaching staff was treating you like they have, then asking for a trade may have been a career saving move.

If this is not true (Kessel really wanting out), then I wouldn't be surprise. The media in this town sticks (where have I heard this before) and they are full of negativity. The media wants to control the feelings of the fans and things it can be writing GARBAGE to stir up crap....

Czerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
All the picks we have now, we may still yet get Toews!
Muahahahahah

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czerk View Post
I will defend Kessel even if he didn't want to play here. He was our premeire forward plain and simple, but all he got was bad mouth by the coach and everybody's favorite NHL BEAT writer (locally).

Then the coach always put him on the 2nd PP unit (which only gets 20-30% of PP time) and has threaten to bench him, etc.

Good for you Kessel. If you felt the B's coaching staff was treating you like they have, then asking for a trade may have been a career saving move.

If this is not true (Kessel really wanting out), then I wouldn't be surprise. The media in this town sticks (where have I heard this before) and they are full of negativity. The media wants to control the feelings of the fans and things it can be writing GARBAGE to stir up crap....
Kessel wanted 5 million bucks. For the right dough he'd be playing in Taiwan.

End of saga.

Good luck to the kid.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Niz Bruin

Wait a minute, you WANTED him on the first PP unit?

Seriously, players get benched all the time due to poor form/attitude, in every league, at every age, not all of them pull up stumps and move to Toronto. I'd understand using benching as the excuse if Kess had come back and been petulant about it and played badly because he just didnt want to be there. But he had a great year. It may have been in his interests to have a great year, but nevertheless, its harder to do your job well when you aren't happy doing it.

I think most of it stems from the leaked draft day thing and the B's inability to put up an offer that he and his agent thought was worthy. The combination of a low offer and an "almost" trade probably made Phil feel like he was getting the cold shoulder.

To make it clear, im actually quite happy with the way Chia has handled it. If what Chia says is true, and most teams were putting up a number similar to the B's for Phil to sign, its clear why there was no offersheet forthcoming, and why it became increasingly difficult to shift Kess to ANY team.

N

Niz Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:15 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post

I saw that too. I laughed and laughed.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I cant remember Julien ever bad mouthing him. Even Dupont (who is not a beat writer) never really bad mouthed him.

Quote:
And I bet you had him on your 1st line unit on NHL 09, didnt you!?

Quote:
Not likely as his career was just going fine. He will get paid a lot more though.

Quote:
If this is not true (Kessel really wanting out), then I wouldn't be surprise. The media in this town sticks (where have I heard this before) and they are full of negativity. The media wants to control the feelings of the fans and things it can be writing GARBAGE to stir up crap...
What does "the media in this town sticks" mean? Sticks what?

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Weren't we mad when (he who will not be named) DIDN'T get benched?....

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post

I saw that too. I laughed and laughed.
Why is it funny though? He has been rumored in deals for two straight deadlines and was openly almost dealt at the draft. Now Chiarelli said he doesnt want to come back and it is all on Phil? Really?

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

good. friggin. riddance. I was disappionted when he was traded, but upon reading this....I now am glad that his ass is gonzo.

The Special K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:29 PM
kytem2

Kessel had 42 goals in 81 games (including playoffs) last season. Yeah, that will be easy to replace.

Any 18 year old picked in the 2010 or 2011 draft should be able to do that before turning 22.

kytem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:42 PM
HamiltonSteelhawks*

Quote:

Maybe you and Phil can share the same tissue box

Kessel was asked to put effort towards rounding out his game and he never looked better after Julien benched him.

We'll see if Phil has any tissues left after dealing with Ron Wilson who's two-times the hard ass Claude is as far as benching players.

I have ZERO sympathy for him

HamiltonSteelhawks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:02 AM
UrsusArctos

Quote:

Boo... ***...Hoo

He took the money over the team and the possibility of winning something and learning to be a complete player. He didn't choose the blue and white over the Black and Gold, he chose the green.

UrsusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:14 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2 View Post
Kessel had 42 goals in 81 games (including playoffs) last season. Yeah, that will be easy to replace.

Any 18 year old picked in the 2010 or 2011 draft should be able to do that before turning 22.
Stoopid salary cap. . .

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:

That would be awfully sad if Boston's premier forward was 3rd on the team in points and did nothing in terms of leadership or defensive play.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote