Notices

Kessel asked out of Boston as early as July

Old
09-20-2009, 01:29 AM
ThomasJ13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czerk View Post
If this is not true (Kessel really wanting out), then I wouldn't be surprise. The media in this town sticks (where have I heard this before) and they are full of negativity. The media wants to control the feelings of the fans and things it can be writing GARBAGE to stir up crap....
Zdeno Chara quote (tsn.com): "I can't really make comments on Phil's behalf, what he felt, why he decided not to be part of it"

Could it be that Chara 'sticks' and is full of negativity, too??

ThomasJ13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:02 AM
WayneThornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftyRick View Post
Boo... ***...Hoo

He took the money over the team and the possibility of winning something and learning to be a complete player. He didn't choose the blue and white over the Black and Gold, he chose the green.
Man that's some deep stuff

WayneThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:17 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadLooch View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291746

BOSTON -- The Bruins did their best to keep restricted free agent Phil Kessel before giving in to his desire to be traded and making a deal with Toronto.

"This is not about frugality," Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli said on Saturday. "There were some significant offers made."

Chiarelli said Kessel told him in July he no longer wanted to play in Boston, and the Bruins traded the rights to the 21-year-old former first-round pick to the Maple Leafs for Toronto's first-round picks in each of the next two drafts plus the Leafs' second-round pick in 2010.

If this is true, then Chia did well to get maximum return for a player who didn't want to be here. I suspected as much, but still wish Kessel good luck in Toronto. Not "Great" luck, but good luck...

yes, you mean the kid was traded in July, only for it to fall thru, decided it was time to ask out.

wow, what a shocker....

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:19 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
yes, you mean the kid was traded in July, only for it to fall thru, decided it was time to ask out.

wow, what a shocker....
since i cant edit my won posts

ment to say the kid that was traded in June, asked for outs in July...

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:22 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
My take on Kessel and I will not post on this topic again (at least I hope not).

Anyone who believes the spin coming out of the media is a damn fool. The fact was Chia and company thought they could strong arm Kessel. Chia thought teams weren’t interested because he will be out until November/December. Simply put Chia was wrong and the Bruins misjudged their position and Kessel held all the cards.

Phil doesn’t owe any loyalty to the Bruins just simply because he was drafted here. When your name comes up in every trade rumour and the company is not giving you the money you think you deserve then why should Kessel have some blind love for Boston? Just because fans do employees of a company don’t have to. Phil was Claudes’ whipping boy and it was obvious Kessel didn’t respond to this (at least personally according to reports, as a player Claude is a reason he did so well). Anyone who can sit there and say Kessel shouldn’t take the trade rumours so serious and say it is just a business certainly shouldn’t get mad at Kessel for his business like approach leaving the team and getting the most money.

Kessel certainly takes some of the blame for this situation. His work ethic and attitude have always been called into question and I believe where there is smoke there is fire. Claude must have a big hand into Kessel’s departure. In Montreal Claude stuck to his guns on Theodore being a terrible goalie and it cost him his job (but he was right). Maybe Claude had some insight to Kessel that we haven’t seen. I have to believe that management saw something in Kessel that they did not like and for now I am going to trust their decision. Jack Johnson who played with Kessel on the American WJC has stated before that he hates Kessel and thinks Kessel is a dirt bag (link). So I believe that there is a side of Phil we don’t see because how can someone who seems quiet and shy get a reputation for being a dirt bag? Kessel is the kind of guy who hides apart of his personality.

As for the Bruins we are not a better team without Kessel and I feel we will take a step back this year unless a guy like Wheeler can break through (I feel he might have a sophomore slump). At the start of this year I feel we are lacking in a high end wing talent (Which Wheeler could replace), and a centre who can win the draws on the fourth line (Begin can’t win the draws).

This is the type of trade that gets one of the General Mangers fired. If Toronto doesn’t make the playoffs this year then this trade is a total win for Boston, and Burke could get shown the door for such a high risk move. If Toronto does well this year, Toronto makes the playoffs and Kessel scores 40+ goals or becomes a 50 goal scorer, it will become easy for Bruins ownership to offer Chia up as a sacrificial lamb to the fans if the Bruins are playing below expectations a few years from now. (The buy outs, Versteeg, Kessel and any other mistakes of Chia).

In the end it was in the best interest of the Bruins and Kessel to move on and we got pretty good value for him. (Knowing how this played out I wish we traded him for Pronger at the deadline)

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Niz Bruin

finchster, Im not sure I agree with your take on this being a mistake of Chia's. He was certainly left with very little options due to the players demands. Question, if this had not dragged out as it had, and the draft day leak never happened, and Kessel was signed to a $5.4m contract back in June, would you be satisfied with Chia's performance as GM?

Personally I find that concept alot more distasteful than his trade to Toronto and I think that would have reflected worse on Chia's ability as a GM. I think regardless of how Kessel's career at the Leaf's turns out, there won't be massive pressure on Chia. If none of the picks come to fruition, then maybe you could say that, but for now, the two in the hot seat are Burke and Kessel.

If Chia is "wrong" as you put it, for realistically estimating a players value, along with MANY other GM's who's figures also fell well short of 5.4, then im happy for him to be wrong on this occasion. The team is better served without having such a contract on its cap.

Niz Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:36 AM
CamFan81
Derp

talented kid, But listening to the comments not only from CHIA but more importantly chara tell me that theres more to this

When Chara was asked about Phil, chara didn't deny phil wanted out.

I guess the rumors we heard about Phil + the locker room not "gel'n" had some validity to it.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote