HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke new goalie coach, Dave King assistant coach, Fuhr new position [mod edit]

Old
09-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Burke new goalie coach, Dave King assistant coach, Fuhr new position [mod edit]

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2009/09/19...y-the-coyotes/

::update::

Coyotes officially have no comment at this time.

Last edited by mouser: 09-22-2009 at 02:06 AM. Reason: confirmed
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:42 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

vCash: 500
I hope to God this is true.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Now there should be nothing in Sean Burke's way of getting the job he was meant for. Being an Allaire understudy, this should be a no brainer.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Updated the article with new information.

Old
09-19-2009, 06:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Link to the Strickland article/blog/whatever?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Link to the Strickland article/blog/whatever?
http://twitter.com/andystrickland/

Old
09-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Updated the first post and the article with an official 'no comment' from the Coyotes.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
You and me both.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:21 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
If Burke is the choice he will be an outstanding goalie coach

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:25 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
If Burke is the choice he will be an outstanding goalie coach
How can you say that with such certainty. Were in the mess partially due to people in important positions with no prior experience. I know that he was trained under B. Allaire, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a great coach. See Wayne Gretzky... I don't disagree Fuhr needed to go, but once again we make inexperience a non point with a hire.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Burke and Bryzgalov both have very, very STRONG personalities. This could be a great success or a total catastrophe.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:31 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
How can you say that with such certainty. Were in the mess partially due to people in important positions with no prior experience. I know that he was trained under B. Allaire, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a great coach. See Wayne Gretzky... I don't disagree Fuhr needed to go, but once again we make inexperience a non point with a hire.
We can say that Burke will be better for two reasons.

1) Burke was a thinking man's goalie. He turned skills that were just a bit above average into a pretty decent career, and he did it by finding ways to use technique and strategy to supplement talent instead of relying completely upon it. That will translate very well to coaching.

2) Grant Fuhr may be a Hall-of-Famer as an ex-player but as a coach he suffers from a fatal case of laziness and addiction to golf. The only reason - the ONLY reason - he got the job was because he's pals with Wayne. It's not so much a job as it is a way to pay his green fees.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:35 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Seconded.

Fuhr is the only Coach I really want gone.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:36 PM
AzYotes18

Quote:
Fuhr was never there to coach, he made a point that these guys are professionals and they don't always need to be directed. What does that mean?

Does it mean that Bryz doesn't need anymore coaching? I've watched Burke work with the goalies prior, he actually suits up and shows them by example...how many times have we seen Fuhr suited up and demonstrate? just saying.

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't want to be the party pooper, here, but doesn't the title of this thread need some work? "News Article"? Isn't that a stretch? We've got a blog, citing a twitter account of a guy who works for hockeybuzz that wrote that he's "hearing" that Fuhr has been re-assigned within the organization. To me, that much more closely resembles a "rumor" than a "news article". I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the validity of this development.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:39 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
He is a very technically sound person and learned from one of the best goaltender coaches around on how to be good. Gretzky didn't need to be coached because he was so good. Burke is a guy who was coached well and played well because of that and I think he can do the same for someone like Bryzgalov.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:40 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't want to be the party pooper, here, but doesn't the title of this thread need some work? "News Article"? Isn't that a stretch? We've got a blog, citing a twitter account of a guy who works for hockeybuzz that wrote that he's "hearing" that Fuhr has been re-assigned withing the organization. To me, that much more closely resembles a "rumor" than a "news article". I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the validity of this development.
I don't know. All the practices that I've been to lately, Burke has been the guy on the ice and Fuhr is nowhere to be seen most of the time. I say it could have some legit truth to it based on what I've seen.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:41 PM
AzYotes18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I don't know. All the practices that I've been to lately, Burke has been the guy on the ice and Fuhr is nowhere to be seen most of the time. I say it could have some legit truth to it based on what I've seen.
Right, I have been there too, you are correct.

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:50 PM
AZCOYOT

I've wanted this for so long..

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:58 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
I know that he was trained under B. Allaire, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a great coach. See Wayne Gretzky....
Burke coached the team more than any coach ever did when he was a player.

Strickland is very reliable, so bank on this.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:13 PM

I've rarely seen Strictland wrong, so I buy this, plus it just makes sense.

I'm very happy for Sean Burke if it is a promotion, because I do think he'll do excellent. As others have said, he was a goalie that was able to enhance his game, he wasn't gifted with the skills of the elite, but he was able to play at an elite level for a short period of time.

I'm curious to see what happens with all of the coaching staff, with Gretzky caught in limbo, who knows what Ulf does, and Sulliman probably feels pretty safe with Maloney at the helm. I could handle a season with Ireland as head coach without any problem, at this point he might be the best option available to the franchise IMO.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:59 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
One thing I think you're forgetting is that for the past year (or however long Burke has been employed by the team) he has been working with the team's prospects during the season and off-season at camps. It's not like he's been playing golf or sitting on the couch for the last five years and then all of a sudden wants to coach (of course assuming that this report is true). Like others have said, he was trained under a very technical system (the same system that Bryz learned in Anaheim by the way) and wasn't a goalie that just relied on his natural talent and instinct. It's players like him that usually make very good coaches when they're done playing.

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:43 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Hockey_in_AZ View Post
One thing I think you're forgetting is that for the past year (or however long Burke has been employed by the team) he has been working with the team's prospects during the season and off-season at camps. It's not like he's been playing golf or sitting on the couch for the last five years and then all of a sudden wants to coach (of course assuming that this report is true). Like others have said, he was trained under a very technical system (the same system that Bryz learned in Anaheim by the way) and wasn't a goalie that just relied on his natural talent and instinct. It's players like him that usually make very good coaches when they're done playing.
All great points, Burke is a wonderful guy and I'm ecstatic he's been given a second career, he surely deserves it. I agree anyone that trained under an Allare is likely head and shoulders above the rest. But after the failed TGO experiment, I just don't think we can take a flyer on any coaching staff without prior legitimate coaching experience at their discipline. Do we as fans deserve better? Or are we destined to be proving grounds? Can any of us legitimatly distill our sentimental attachment to Burke? IDK All I do know is, after all I have been threw with this team, I want to frickin' win. If Burke gets us there then I'm ecstatic, if not it's just another failed "experiment" here in the land of the Coyote.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:07 AM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
All great points, Burke is a wonderful guy and I'm ecstatic he's been given a second career, he surely deserves it. I agree anyone that trained under an Allare is likely head and shoulders above the rest. But after the failed TGO experiment, I just don't think we can take a flyer on any coaching staff without prior legitimate coaching experience at their discipline. Do we as fans deserve better? Or are we destined to be proving grounds? Can any of us legitimatly distill our sentimental attachment to Burke? IDK All I do know is, after all I have been threw with this team, I want to frickin' win. If Burke gets us there then I'm ecstatic, if not it's just another failed "experiment" here in the land of the Coyote.

I hear what you're saying but I think goalie coaches can be held to a different standard than head coaches or assistant coaches in terms of the amount of coaching experience they should have before they get hired. As a goalie coach your main job (and only job, really) is to work with 2 players on the team and possibly the 2 goalies in the AHL every now and then. It's not like an assistant or head coach that has to coach the entire team, learn to push the right buttons and try to manage 20 different personalities at a time.

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Exactly how does a goalie coach get experience before becoming a goalie coach? There's no minor league route for that. What... was he supposed to be an assistant goalie coach for a few years? Hell... he practically was for two years as the "Director of Player Development" or Burkie's title was while Fuhr was here. He worked with (young) players for about 2 years while not even acting as "the" goalie coach. Look around the league you have guys like Andy Moog, Ed Belfour, Tom Barrasso, Bob Essensa, the Allaire and others. All of them pretty much stepped in after having considerable time as an NHL regular shortly before being a goalie coach. Burke seems like a very sound pick for this role, I would take him over most of the names I mentioned before.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote