HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke new goalie coach, Dave King assistant coach, Fuhr new position [mod edit]

Old
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Stump

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I know there is decent golf available in Las Vegas. How's the golf in San Antonio?
It must be good if Fuhr took the gig.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So who will be head coach? Sixty two year old Dave King or fourty five year old Ulf Samuelsson?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Quick and Ersberg prove this to be otherwise.
Different Goalies, WAY different Kings teams.

Old
09-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Different Goalies, WAY different Kings teams.
Uhhhh...

How were the Kings a way different team in the 08-09 than they were in the same season? Ersberg was up all year and Quick was called up shortly before Christmas. Quick took LaBarbera's job.

Again these are their respective 08-09 stats

Again: 08-09
Jonathan Quick 2.48 .914
Erik Ersberg 2.64 .900
Jason LaBarbera (as a king) 2.83 .893

and these are Ersberg and Labarbera's stats from 07-08 They were both on the Kings all season

How were the Kings a way different team in the 07-08 than they were in the same season?

07-08
Jason LaBarbera 3.00 .910
Erik Ersberg 2.48 .927

Last edited by Flour Child: 09-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So who will be head coach? Sixty two year old Dave King or fourty five year old Ulf Samuelsson?
I guess you're asking why don't we just make Dave King the head coach since he's older and has more coaching experience. Ulf already has a lot more pull with the players than Dave King could get after 6 months on the job. The player's have seen enough of a rotating coaches, keep the guy they know and trust personally in Head coach, and have the "new" guy, King, with all the extra experience and accolades still work with the team. It's not like King's instruction is going to be falling on deaf ears just because he's an assistant coach. Ulf will tell the players to "listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about." I don't think King is going to be undermining Ulf in anyway.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Uhhhh...

How were the Kings a way different team in the 08-09 than they were in the same season? Ersberg was up all year and Quick was called up shortly before Christmas. Quick took LaBarbera's job.

Again these are their respective 08-09 stats

Again: 08-09
Jonathan Quick 2.48 .914
Erik Ersberg 2.64 .900
Jason LaBarbera (as a king) 2.83 .893

and these are Ersberg and Labarbera's stats from 07-08 They were both on the Kings all season

How were the Kings a way different team in the 07-08 than they were in the same season?

07-08
Jason LaBarbera 3.00 .910
Erik Ersberg 2.48 .927
Referring to 05-06

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Referring to 05-06
Ok so what are your thoughts on the past 2 seasons when He was outplayed by rookies? or on on 06-07 season when He tried to coast through camp and was in the minors all year?

Old
09-21-2009, 08:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I guess you're asking why don't we just make Dave King the head coach since he's older and has more coaching experience.
No. Sixty two seems really old to me. I was hoping to find some kind of happy medium of age and experience. Oh well, beggers can't be choosers. Anything is better than Wayne, at this point.

Old
09-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Ok so what are your thoughts on the past 2 seasons when He was outplayed by rookies? or on on 06-07 season when He tried to coast through camp and was in the minors all year?
After playing with such a losing tradition on that team for so long, who else in the NHL would play well on that team? Notice how better he played when he got traded to Vancouver?

Old
09-21-2009, 09:31 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
After playing with such a losing tradition on that team for so long, who else in the NHL would play well on that team? Notice how better he played when he got traded to Vancouver?
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Any average or even sub-average goalie will look great with the right system in front of them. That, in turn, can inspire them to play above their normal level. Turco, for example, was a product of the great Dallas team in front of him. When that team faltered, Turco went as well. Sean Burke was the opposite. His skill and desire to win was so apparent that the team was inspired in front of him, and to all Coyote fans it was painfully obvious the boys would play for him but not Boucher, for example.

I really do not find it hard to believe, nor worthy of praise, that a 6'3 goalie who has average talent managed to play better with one of the better defenses in front of him. The goalie is also not allowed to pout, and therefore suck it up and make it even harder for the team to win in front of him simply because "they aren't a good team."

I hope he gets moved, and Montoya gets his due shot.

I don't think Bryz is in this conversation because with Anaheim he proved in the playoffs that it was HE who carried the team and not the other way around. He had help, but some of the saves he made and the effort he put in clearly elevated him above the whole "product-of-his-system" crap.

Goaltending is the least of our worries. Give me some coherent D, and a decent offensive system, and suddenly we look a whole lot better.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Any average or even sub-average goalie will look great with the right system in front of them. That, in turn, can inspire them to play above their normal level. Turco, for example, was a product of the great Dallas team in front of him. When that team faltered, Turco went as well. Sean Burke was the opposite. His skill and desire to win was so apparent that the team was inspired in front of him, and to all Coyote fans it was painfully obvious the boys would play for him but not Boucher, for example.

I really do not find it hard to believe, nor worthy of praise, that a 6'3 goalie who has average talent managed to play better with one of the better defenses in front of him. The goalie is also not allowed to pout, and therefore suck it up and make it even harder for the team to win in front of him simply because "they aren't a good team."

I hope he gets moved, and Montoya gets his due shot.

I don't think Bryz is in this conversation because with Anaheim he proved in the playoffs that it was HE who carried the team and not the other way around. He had help, but some of the saves he made and the effort he put in clearly elevated him above the whole "product-of-his-system" crap.

Goaltending is the least of our worries. Give me some coherent D, and a decent offensive system, and suddenly we look a whole lot better.
Well that's the thing. LaBarbera never had the right players or the right system in front of him until he got to Vancouver. To say that he did in LA is just silly.

He wouldn't have been signed for two years if he's going to be in the 'odd man out' goalie challenge they did last year with the Auld, David Aebischer, and Mikael Tellqvist. That would have been a stupid move by GMDM. Then again, this wouldn't be the first time LaBarbera and Montoya were battling for spots on the same team.

No, money sez that one of the reasons he was signed was that he learned from Luongo at the end of last season.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
2.66 .915
Yeah SOOO much better He still had a higher GAA than Ersberg and Quick. who were rookies "playing with such a losing tradition on that team" Funny how we have three different stimuli in the same controlled environment, and yet you can't equate two and two. I am under the impression you choose to ignore the obvious.

His stats did improve slightly in Vancouver, but I counter that He was motivated with a "fresh start" and in usual Lababera fashion, He got worse as He went along.
Quote:
Well that's the thing. LaBarbera never had the right players or the right system in front of him until he got to Vancouver.

To say that he did in LA is just silly.

He wouldn't have been signed for two years if he's going to be in the 'odd man out' goalie challenge they did last year with the Auld, David Aebischer, and Mikael Tellqvist. That would have been a stupid move by GMDM. Then again, this wouldn't be the first time LaBarbera and Montoya were battling for spots on the same team.

No, money sez that one of the reasons he was signed was that he learned from Luongo at the end of last season.
Which is why NY let him walk as a Free agent? LaBarbera is a bum Open your eyes you'll see the guy continually loses his job to rookies for a reason.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
His stats did improve slightly in Vancouver, but I counter that He was motivated with a "fresh start" and in usual Lababera fashion, He got worse as He went along.
That's right blame LaBarbera for everything. World Hunger? Bad Hair day? It's LaBarbera's fault. You Kings fans really need to let go of your hatred for LaBarbera and focus it on the kings front office.

Quote:
Which is why NY let him walk as a Free agent? LaBarbera is a bum Open your eyes you'll see the guy continually loses his job to rookies for a reason.
LOL Perhaps you should re-check how many Goaltenders he had to compete with when he was on the Rangers.

Old
09-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

King for coach

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:52 AM
yakko

Quote:
"playing with such a losing tradition on that team"
Well, at least in Phoenix he'll be met with a winning tradition and high expectations.

Quote:
LaBarbera is a bum Open your eyes you'll see the guy continually loses his job to rookies for a reason.
Going by only fan reports of camp, it sounds like he is going to lose his job to Montoya too. I suppose either he'll clear waivers and continue to be a good AHL goalie or he will get claimed and the Coyotes will not have to pay an AHL goalie NHL money.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:16 AM
yakko

By the way, not that I'm biased, but I have been hoping for Burke to be the Coyotes goalie coach since before he retired from playing.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 05:11 AM
Percy LeSueur

Sens fan here, who comes in peace.

You guys need to ditch Wayne and make Dave King the new Coyotes head coach. The man is an experienced coach which is something the Coyotes desperately need.

Wayne Gretzky was, in my opinion, the greatest player to ever play the game. However, great players are very rarely good coaches. Many say it's because they can't really explain any kind of gameplan thoroughly because the game always came so natural to them. How is a guy like Wayne Gretzky going to explain to a 4th liner how to score a goal? He may be able to do it, but can he do it better than Dave King? I would have to say that the results indicate that Wayne Gretzky may be a great player (the greatest) but he is a mediocre coach at best.

Percy LeSueur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatorial Committee View Post

You guys need to ditch Wayne and make Dave King the new Coyotes head coach. The man is an experienced coach which is something the Coyotes desperately need.

Wayne Gretzky was, in my opinion, the greatest player to ever play the game. However, great players are very rarely good coaches. Many say it's because they can't really explain any kind of gameplan thoroughly because the game always came so natural to them. How is a guy like Wayne Gretzky going to explain to a 4th liner how to score a goal? He may be able to do it, but can he do it better than Dave King? I would have to say that the results indicate that Wayne Gretzky may be a great player (the greatest) but he is a mediocre coach at best.
I think you are preaching to the converted. Posts like this started hitting the boards here about 3-4 years ago.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 01:26 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatorial Committee View Post

name one other coach who happens to have a minority ownership in the franchise he is also employed by, Senatorial....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-L-L-L-L-W

Since King coached the Blue Jackets in their first few years, I asked people over on that board what they though of them, in case he turns out to be the Coyotes' new head coach.

For what it's worth, there are about 20 very positive replies, in case any of you want to venture over to the CBJ forum for a look.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Kinda funny that the Blue Jackets first coach is now an assistant with Phoenix, and the Jackets' first GM, Doug MacLean is working with Balsillie.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:05 PM
zyllyx
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Kinda funny that the Blue Jackets first coach is now an assistant with Phoenix, and the Jackets' first GM, Doug MacLean is working with Balsillie.
The fact that we have Maloney and now King on staff makes Balsillie look even more retarded for having picked up Doug MacLean. Hamiltonians really ought to think about what would happen if Balsillie got the team - imagine Doug MacLean trying to build this team into a winner.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
Since King coached the Blue Jackets in their first few years, I asked people over on that board what they though of them, in case he turns out to be the Coyotes' new head coach.

For what it's worth, there are about 20 very positive replies, in case any of you want to venture over to the CBJ forum for a look.
Very encouraging reading.

Old
09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
The fact that we have Maloney and now King on staff makes Balsillie look even more retarded for having picked up Doug MacLean. Hamiltonians really ought to think about what would happen if Balsillie got the team - imagine Doug MacLean trying to build this team into a winner.
Doug MacLean is so, so, so bad. He's just the worst.

Old
09-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Percy LeSueur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I think you are preaching to the converted. Posts like this started hitting the boards here about 3-4 years ago.
Makes sense. Well, you can add my 4am rant to the pile.

Percy LeSueur is offline   Reply With Quote