HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/17 Kings v. Sharks POST GAME thoughts and tidbits

Old
09-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
9/17 Kings v. Sharks POST GAME thoughts and tidbits

Enjoy courtesy of http://www.lakingsnews.com

Quote:
So who knew that when the puck would be dropped at center ice at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California, a full contact ping pong game would break out. Imagine the surprise of all those fans who showed up to watch hockey. Then, imagine their shock when with 9.5 seconds left, the Kings, thanks to a nice goal by Captain Dustin Brown with an assist from rookie Andrei Loktionov, showed up.

Until that second, this contest was defined by a goal given up by Jonathan Quick against Benn Ferriero that he most certainly wanted back. That was it. Neither team could score on the powerplay. The Kings struggled to set it up. They could not generate many shots on net and there was no traffic in front of Sharks' goaltender, Thomas Greiss. No power. Little play. The Sharks didn't fare any better as they also had a couple of two man advantages and could not score.

Then, just when it seemed this game would go into the annals of preseason hockey history as the pinnacle of dull, Dustin Brown not only scored but did so on the power play and sent the game into overtime.

The extra session started out with the Kings on their heels. Two penalties against, a trip by Davis Drewiske and a hook by Kyle Clifford caused the Kings to spend half the overtime a man short. Fortunately, the Kings' penalty kill continued to shine. They seemed particularly adept at blocking off the shooting lanes and did not allow much traffic in front of Quick though at the final second of overtime, Jonathan Quick made a tremendous save, more than redeeming himself for the one he gave up earlier, and sent the game into a shootout.

The Kings started the shootout with Andrei Loktionov who came in a bit lazy and suffered the dreaded poke check by Greiss. The Sharks' Ryan Vecse made some slick moves but couldn't get the puck up and past Quick who made a nice save. Purcell tried to the old five hole but Greiss took it away just as fast as he showed it. The Sharks' Devin Setoguchi, coming off an excellent season, took the shot from between the circles but Quick turned the puck away. Then came Kings first round draft pick and brother to the Maple Leafs' Luke Schenn, recently turned 18 year old Brayden Schenn. Brayden came in strong and moved the puck to his forehand but Greiss denied him by quickly taking away the short side. Benn Ferriero was next for San Jose but was little match for Quick. Trevor Lewis skated on the ice. He took the puck down the ice with speed, made a great deke but Greiss extended his left leg at the last moment and stopped the shot, leaving many Kings fans in mid leap and disbelief that he did not score. The Sharks then sent defenseman Jason Demers who beat Quick on a backhand for a rather anti-climatic finish.

The Kings ended the game with 25 shots and the lone goal from Dustin Brown. They went 1 for 8 on the powerplay. Failing to take advantage of many powerplay chances in the first period set the tone for the game. The Sharks had 27 shots on goal, including 8 in overtime and scored twice even though they suffered an abysmal 0 for 9 with the man advantage.

Next up, cross town and freeway rivals, the Anaheim Ducks. Our very own Surly Jacobs will be in attendance. Look forward to a fierce contest and a post game report to match.

Last edited by Zad: 09-18-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:58 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Makes it being radio only not so bad.

For anyone who saw, is Greiss a good goalie or were we just not getting good chances?

I've been hoping that weak back-up goaltending will be an achilles heal for SJ.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:10 AM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Makes it being radio only not so bad.

For anyone who saw, is Greiss a good goalie or were we just not getting good chances?

I've been hoping that weak back-up goaltending will be an achilles heal for SJ.
Their goalie played well, but I would say we did not do a very good job getting good quality shots either, and when we did, we suffered from the last year syndrome "just a bit wide". In other words, we still struggle putting the puck on the net.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:11 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Their goalie played well, but I would say we did not do a very good job getting good quality shots either, and when we did, we suffered from the last year syndrome "just a bit wide". In other words, we still struggle putting the puck on the net.
Thanks.

How was the arena?

Old
09-18-2009, 03:32 AM
viking

The arena was nice but the cost was high. No one really stood out though. It was sort of a boring game.

viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:37 AM
regulate

Quote:
Thanks.

How was the arena?
I have been to a Reign game there before, so it was no surprise to me, but there is not a bad seat in the house. The place is beautiful. You are very close to the ice, even in the upper deck.

Note to promotions department and AEG. I would really like to see another game next year in preseason at CBBA, but as the saying goes "It's the economy stupid". In other words, you could make more money with your "arena fee", and concessions with much lower priced tickets for a preseason game. If you were paying attention, the vast majority of the upper deck was full, the lower deck (higher priced) was virtually empty. Know your market!

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:48 AM
bland

I think Andrew Campbell should pick up a copy or two of the local apartment guides before he leaves town.

Dude was terrible.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:53 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
I think Andrew Campbell should pick up a copy or two of the local apartment guides before he leaves town.

Dude was terrible.
I thought he was really bad in the rookie game as well. He's one of the only draft picks of DL's that I've seen practice or play, that I just have no idea what he saw in him.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:59 AM
bland

Quote:
I thought he was really bad in the rookie game as well. He's one of the only draft picks of DL's that I've seen practice or play, that I just have no idea what he saw in him.
He just struggles - poor puck handling, has a hard time keeping his balance, and just an awful shot. It seems more like a lack of confidence than anything - it isn't as though he made poor decisions, he just couldn't execute anything he was trying to accomplish.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:15 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Note to promotions department and AEG. I would really like to see another game next year in preseason at CBBA, but as the saying goes "It's the economy stupid". In other words, you could make more money with your "arena fee", and concessions with much lower priced tickets for a preseason game. If you were paying attention, the vast majority of the upper deck was full, the lower deck (higher priced) was virtually empty. Know your market!
... and a radio station that you could actually hear after dark in South Orange County would be a nice touch too

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
AND he traded up to get him. A head scratcher for sure.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

I think Murray was the only one who liked campbell lastnight.

Defenseman Andrew Campbell who saw ample time on the power play was also praised by Murray.

“Very eye opening for me. That’s the first time I’ve seen him play an NHL game.” Murray then added, “He‘s grown, he’s gotten stronger since last year at this time, lot of poise, composure, sees the ice, made pretty good plays with the puck. I like what I saw in his effort.”

source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...tout/125/23043

kovacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post

Defenseman Andrew Campbell who saw ample time on the power play was also praised by Murray.

“Very eye opening for me. That’s the first time I’ve seen him play an NHL game.” Murray then added, “He‘s grown, he’s gotten stronger since last year at this time, lot of poise, composure, sees the ice, made pretty good plays with the puck. I like what I saw in his effort.”

Effort is fine and all, but what about results?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post

Just one of many reasons why Murray is not the right coach for this team.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:34 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Campbell is a project and was one when drafted.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
... and a radio station that you could actually hear after dark in South Orange County would be a nice touch too
why not listen to the web feed that gets posted all over the GDT?

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
How did Lokti look?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Butch 19
King me

How weak was the goal Quick gave up?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Giving a prospect a handful of post-game attaboys to boost his confidence before he gets sent back down to the minors or juniors or wherever to continue his development is a reason Terry Murray is not the right coach for the team?

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Giving a prospect a handful of post-game attaboys to boost his confidence before he gets sent back down to the minors or juniors or wherever to continue his development is a reason Terry Murray is not the right coach for the team?
No, giving a guy who obviously did not do well a bunch of attaboys.....Does Murray even know what it takes to win a hockey game? From his time in LA I am having serious doubts.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Just a question, but did you go and watch the game? Just asking.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
No, giving a guy who obviously did not do well a bunch of attaboys.....Does Murray even know what it takes to win a hockey game? From his time in LA I am having serious doubts.
I'd like to think so, considering he's made it to the Stanley Cup finals.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:07 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:

....and we should take the word of an internet message board poster over an NHL coach when it comes to evaluating hockey players! HA HA!

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Actually one thing you can say for this Murray, compared to the previous Murray, is that he doesn't seem to have a big hard-on for untalented players when it comes to ice time/crunch time.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Ron, I think your passion is getting in the way here. As other posters stated, He is a project. This is a meaningless game in the standings that should be used to see how prospects, projects, and players who could make the jump fit into as simulated of an NHL game as you are going to get.

If reasonable expectations for Campbell were to be a 4/10 for this game and He was a 5 or 6/10 then He deserves an attaboy or two. As close as we follow the team, we still aren't privy to a ton of info about what they guys were told to work on or round out of their game. If there were a regular season game, your criticism would be spot on. But this is a game that is more a learning and development tool for the future than anything else.

Last edited by Flour Child: 09-18-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote