Notices

What if Habs and Islanders ?

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Bojakees*

vCash: 500
What if Habs and Islanders ?

News flash....Uniondale Long Island. 1979...10 days before the season...

The NY Islanders have traded the rights to Mike Bossy to thier divison rivals the NY Rangers. Bossy had the gall to want to be paid like the top ten scorer that he was at 21 years old.

When asked why Torrey decided to trade Bossy he said......Well, we like the kid but he just did not fit in. We want guys on this team that fit the mold. We play against the Flyers and we need to be tough. You know, like Nystrom and Tonelli and Gilles. Yea sure, Bossy is one of the best young goal scorers in the league...

But those are fifty of the softest goals you will ever see....Besides, We have Trottier (Savard) who is a great two way center and Potvin (Chara) a great Dman, and Billy Smith( Tim Thomas) and Stefan Pearson(Wideman) and Clark Gillies(Lucic) Brent Sutter (Bergeron) Why do we need a soft guy like Mike Bossy(______).......We will need the draft picks anyway.

MONTREAL....1975....10 DAYS BEFORE the season....The CANADIENS would like to announce a trade. Canadiens GM Sam Pollack anounces the HABS have traded the rights to young speedy WINGER GUY LAFLUER....In explaining the trade Pollack and coach Scott Bowman said they just could not get the speedy LaFluer to buy into the system...

We wanted a team that is HARD TO PLAY AGAINST. We have decided to go with the Yvonne Lambert's and Rejoun Roules's and young Bob Gaineys. After all, who needs a speedy winger with 40-50 goal potential thats backs up defenses and makes Goalies fear him as he comes towards them?

Besides we have Steve Shutt...We will try Jaques Lamaire (Recchi) with him....We like Jaques veteran precense in the room.
Besides...The hot dog vendors kept getting knocked down as the fans rose in thier seats to see Lafluer skate. We could not have our beer vendors getting knocked down like that, after all Molsen does not like its beer on the floor.....

I wonder what if those two dynasties would have won a Stanley Cup if thier GMs and coaches thought like ours have here. I bet neither team ever wins a cup.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Please don't tell me the OP just compared Kessel to Bossy and Lafleur.....

Old
09-19-2009, 07:22 PM
marty

If Phil Kessel at the end of his career is anywhere near the player M. Bossy or G. Lafleur I will be very shocked. Not to say he isn't good, and your point is taken about trading because he doesn't fit the team identity. However I think you analogy falls quite short of being anywhere in the realm of apt to the current situation.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Nicholas723

Old
09-19-2009, 07:27 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
And the award for most useless post of the year.....

KREJCZKY10!!

Wow, and the season hasn't even started yet. That is truly impressive.

Now for a response to this ludicrous what-if...

1) Phil Kessel ain't Mike Bossy or Guy Lafleur. And 36 goals aren't 50. But since you've been a Bruins fans for 30+ years you'd know that...

2) 30 years ago the NHL (and the world) was a very different place, on and off the ice. This type of scenario would not have come up with the dollars that were being paid. But since you've been a Bruins fan for 30+ years you would have seen that...

3) Even on their worst days, Bossy and Lafleur were better all-around players than Kessel is. They could backcheck effectively, they could take hits to make plays, they'd be involved if not scoring. But since you're such an astute hockey fan you'd already know that...

Bottom line is this is an insane leap by an already prejudiced against ownership/management fan of Kessel's who doesn't get the salary cap era of the NHL. I wish this were the first baseless post by a supposedly die-hard fan I'd read on the subject, but alas it's not, and it won't be the last.

The fact that you had the gall to start a whole new thread about why you were getting crapped on yet every one of your posts is more nonsensical than the last is so ironic it makes me want to die laughing. Maybe you'll get it eventually, though I think Phil Kessel will get his defensive responsibilities first....

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

Old
09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Psalms

All this doom and gloom is tiresome.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:29 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Mike Bossy was the greatest goal scoring winger I have ever seen...Kessel is no Bossy....

Old
09-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Greyhounds

I've compared Kessel to Lafleur before. It remains to be seen whether he will actually obtain those lofty heights, but I have seen flashes to indicate that it is in the realm of possibility. Only the future will tell.

Lafleur had problems in his first 3 years, although reaching 20+ goals. He exploded in his 4th year, and had 6 straight years of 50 or more goals.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:35 PM
MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
I've compared Kessel to Lafleur before. It remains to be seen whether he will actually obtain those lofty heights, but I have seen flashes to indicate that it is in the realm of possibility. Only the future will tell.

Lafleur had problems in his first 3 years, although reaching 20+ goals. He exploded in his 4th year, and had 6 straight years of 50 or more goals.
Kessel will never be Lafleur as he isn't rad enough to put out a record.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:37 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Those things would have happened if there was a cap back then.

Old
09-19-2009, 07:47 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

I need a bottle of Tylenol 3. Jezzuzz

Old
09-19-2009, 07:50 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Kessel may not be a Bossy or a Lafluer but he's the closest thing we've had in Boston in a long long time.

Sure we had Cam the best power forward ever.We also had Middleton and then you've got to go all the way back to Espo and there is a reason for this,these type of players are hard to come by.

Chiarelli appeared to have a plan resign Thomas then Krecji and then have some leverage with Kessel.FAILED !.So then comes trade Ward so he can bring in Morris which essentially meant bye bye Phil.He admittedly said he wanted a good young player in return,didn't happen next best thing is draft picks.

I'm not bashing PC.He had a plain and it backfired but he kept plugging and now I can only hope Toronto's pick becomes a lottery pick and the 2010 draft becomes the draft that we'll look back on in ten yrs and be able to say that's the reason we have those Stanley Cup banners hanging from the rafters.

Old
09-19-2009, 08:05 PM
JMiller

I'm not gonna lie, that was awesome.

Koo koo bananas, but awesome.

Old
09-19-2009, 08:57 PM
marty

Speaking of Pollock & Lafleur - perhaps Chia should trade solid role players to the Isles and whomever else will challenge for the basement to ensure our new pick drops as low as possible. Could prove to be a shrewd move... haha

Old
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Kessel and Bossy....

my Lord.
I won't allow complete insanity...partial yes...but not Koo Koo for cocoa puffs stuff.

*click*

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Kessel and Bossy....

my Lord.
I won't allow complete insanity...partial yes...but not Koo Koo for cocoa puffs stuff.

*click*
Thank you. If you didn't close it, I was going to............

Closed Thread