HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Puck Rakers: Sestito Taken To The Hospital

Old
09-19-2009, 08:22 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Puck Rakers: Sestito Taken To The Hospital

"Blue Jackets left winger Tom Sestito sustained a head injury at the end of a fight with Nashville's Jordin Tootoo during tonight's exhibition game, and has been taken to a Nashville hospital.

The back of Sestito's head slammed onto the ice as he and Tootoo twisted to the ice, with Sestito falling backward and Tootoo on top of him. Sestito appeared unconcious upon contact, but as players motioned feverishly for medical assistance his left hand and head began to move.

The stretcher was brought onto the ice -- just as it was a night earlier in St. Paul, Minn., for Blue Jackets winger Jason Chimera -- but Sestito, with the help of two teammates, was able to make it to the dressing room. The stretcher left the ice empty, a beautiful sight.

Club spokesman Ryan Holtmann said Sestito was "coherent."

Will update."

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:42 PM
awsquires

Was he wearing a helmet or not?

awsquires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsquires View Post
Was he wearing a helmet or not?
It was knocked off during the fight prior to Tootoo taking him down to the ice.

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:57 PM
GhostofBoomer

Can we just cancel the rest of our preseason games?

GhostofBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:11 PM
JacketsFanWest

The NHL needs to ban takedowns and stop all fights as soon as a player is off balance and falling. Or mandate that helmets need to remain on at all time during a fight.

On-ice boxing can be safe. On-ice judo is not, especially if players don't have helmets.

While players may take some boxing lessons, I doubt any have taken judo or jiu-jitsu and know how to fall properly.

Since the fight is ongoing as a player is falling, a player is more concerned about keeping his head away from their opponent's fists, rather than falling properly with his head tucked against his chest and taking the fall on his shoulder pads/upper back. So the player falls with his head making contact first.

Someone is going to end up seriously injured or dead if these takedowns are allowed to continue.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:11 PM
mokkan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjbuckeye27 View Post
Can we just cancel the rest of our preseason games?
Was thinking the same...

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:12 PM
hashmarks

He will spend the night in the hospital for observation.

Jeez, poor kid.

I keep thinking that Tootoo is going to get his due, but he just keeps doing what he does and there is a mass of wreckage in his path. I know it could have happened in any fight, but ugh, Tootoo...hate that guy...

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
It was knocked off during the fight prior to Tootoo taking him down to the ice.
ugh that makes me sick to my stomach. there's nothing worse than hitting your bare head against the ice.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
mokkan88

Per Puck Rakers about 10 minutes ago:

"Blue Jackets prospect winger Tom Sestito was taken to a Nashville-area hospital tonight after cracking his head on the ice at the end of a fight with Predators right winger Jordin Tootoo.

The Dispatch has learned that Sestito's CT scan was clear, but he'll be spending the night in Nashville. Much like Blue Jackets left winger Jason Chimera, who was stretchered off the ice in Minnesota on Friday, Sestito is most definitely looking at some follow-up tests.

“Two stretchers in two nights," Blue Jackets goaltender Mathieu Garon said. "Hopefully we won’t see another one for a long, long time. It might not make a big difference, but it sure feels better to see a guy skating off than being carried off on a stretcher.”

Here are Tootoo's post-game quotes, as delivered to reporter John Glennon of The Tennessean:

"I came over with the right (hand) and with the force of it, we both fell down," Tootoo said. "There was no intention of trying to bang his head on the ice. It was an unfortunate situation, but there's not much more I can say.

"I asked a couple of (Blue Jackets players) how he was doing. Obviously, he's got a concussion, and I hope he gets back quick.""

Old
09-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I can't remember a more brutal preseason for any team, not just the Jackets.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I was at the game and just want to clarify that it did not occur on a takedown, but rather as Tootoo said, as he landed his final punch Sestito shifted his weight back to try to avoid it and his feet simply came out from underneath him causing them to go down hard with Sestito on the bottom.

As he was going down you could tell simply by the position that he was in that he was in trouble and immediately upon striking his head players from both teams and the officials were calling for medical attention and the arena went silent.

After checking him out on the ice, they allowed Sestito to be carried off the ice by Commodore and Hejda while both teams and the fans gave him an ovation. He clearly split open the back of his head with the fall due to the amount of blood on the ice where he laid and the blood soaked towel that fell from his head as he was carried to the locker room.

I was happy to see that both teams cooled down the tempers (which were hot when the fight took place) and simply played out the rest of the game without further incident. It was a very scary sight that concerned both teams greatly and all of the fans in attendance. One of those occurrences that you always know has the possibility of happening, but are still shocked when it does.

Wishing Sestito the best tonight as he recovers and hope to hear that he's back on the ice soon...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
He will spend the night in the hospital for observation.

Jeez, poor kid.

I keep thinking that Tootoo is going to get his due, but he just keeps doing what he does and there is a mass of wreckage in his path. I know it could have happened in any fight, but ugh, Tootoo...hate that guy...
Not that I condone Tootoo's typical actions or MO, but in this instance, he did nothing wrong. The incident began when Michael Blunden took a cheapshot at Tristan Grant after a whistle from behind. A bit later, whenever everyone was back on the ice, Tootoo challenged Blunden, but he backed down...at which point, Sestito answered the call. The fight started pretty evenly, but as soon as Tootoo was in close, he landed about 3 or 4 pretty hard shots to Sestito's face. They started to get some separation, and Tootoo threw a haymaker, at which point Sestito went down. Tootoo leapt up, and along with some of the CBJ players, motioned for a trainer. The crowd initially cheered, thinking the haymaker had landed and Sestito was knocked out, but when it became apparent that Sestito lost his footing trying to avoid the punch and smacked his head on the ice, it was pretty somber, until he got up and was able to skate with assistance off the ice, at which point he got the usual ovation.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:44 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Same old Tootoo, fighting the weaker foe.

Old
09-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Same old Tootoo, fighting the weaker foe.
I wouldn't quite say Sestito is "weaker". He has 6 or 7 inches on Tootoo and it's not like he's never fought before.

And don't get me wrong, I hate Tootoo as much as the next Jacket fan...but I really don't like it when people overgeneralize statements about players. I mean when has Tootoo fought a guy much weaker than him? He may pester players that are weaker in the heat of the game just because that's his style...but fighting...they basically come to him....not like he picks out weaker guys to fight. They know what they get into when they drop the gloves against him.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:10 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I wouldn't quite say Sestito is "weaker". He has 6 or 7 inches on Tootoo and it's not like he's never fought before.

And don't get me wrong, I hate Tootoo as much as the next Jacket fan...but I really don't like it when people overgeneralize statements about players. I mean when has Tootoo fought a guy much weaker than him? He may pester players that are weaker in the heat of the game just because that's his style...but fighting...they basically come to him....not like he picks out weaker guys to fight. They know what they get into when they drop the gloves against him.
Sorry, I was actually talking about blunden because one of the Preds fans said Tootoo wanted to go with blunden until Sesitio stepped in, My bad

Old
09-20-2009, 04:33 AM
mokkan88

Video of the fight on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsjOS1jPk0o

Looks like he positioned himself awkward right before he fell.

Last edited by mokkan88: 09-20-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old
09-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Juneemoon

Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Mathieu Roy(notes) (36) and Mike Commodore(notes) assist teammate Tom Sestito(notes) after hitting his head on the ice in a fight during the first period of a pre-season NHL hockey game against the Nashville Predators in Nashville, Tenn., Saturday, Sept. 19, 2009.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:22 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Not that I condone Tootoo's typical actions or MO, but in this instance, he did nothing wrong. The incident began when Michael Blunden took a cheapshot at Tristan Grant after a whistle from behind. A bit later, whenever everyone was back on the ice, Tootoo challenged Blunden, but he backed down...at which point, Sestito answered the call. The fight started pretty evenly, but as soon as Tootoo was in close, he landed about 3 or 4 pretty hard shots to Sestito's face. They started to get some separation, and Tootoo threw a haymaker, at which point Sestito went down. Tootoo leapt up, and along with some of the CBJ players, motioned for a trainer. The crowd initially cheered, thinking the haymaker had landed and Sestito was knocked out, but when it became apparent that Sestito lost his footing trying to avoid the punch and smacked his head on the ice, it was pretty somber, until he got up and was able to skate with assistance off the ice, at which point he got the usual ovation.
Which is why I said it could have happened in any fight. The guy is a major pest (which is fine) but tries to hurt people which is why people hate him.

He will fight though and he is pretty good at it, which is even more annoying. I have, however, on more than one occasion, seen him turtle .

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:33 AM
CzechMate93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Which is why I said it could have happened in any fight. The guy is a major pest (which is fine) but tries to hurt people which is why people hate him.

He will fight though and he is pretty good at it, which is even more annoying. I have, however, on more than one occasion, seen him turtle .
Can anyone remind me who fought Tootoo last year who it was very out of character for? Was it Hejda?? Man, I wanted Tootoo punched in the face last night, but I take that back - I didn't see this happening...

CzechMate93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJalltheway View Post
Can anyone remind me who fought Tootoo last year who it was very out of character for? Was it Hejda?? Man, I wanted Tootoo punched in the face last night, but I take that back - I didn't see this happening...
Wasnt it right after Umberger was face planted into the boards?

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Tootoo leapt up, and along with some of the CBJ players, motioned for a trainer.
I would have had some respect for Tootoo had your statement been true. Sadly the video shows him jumping up and skating off the ice as if nothing was wrong. It was the linesman immediately calling for a trainer.

Maybe my memory is too long, but I still miss David Vyborny who was never 100% after getting run by Erat in a pre-season game.

Last edited by Skraut: 09-20-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
pickledcotton

Sestito is 6'7" and I wish he would spend some time with Mirasty or get some actual positional training. His balance is awful, he spins around wildly in fights and often goes down because he is awkwardly positioned. Every time I see him fight I remark that he should go to some yoga classes... if he could get a strong center of balance, he could probably absorb hits pretty well.

Bet he's got one hell of a headache today. That video was rough to watch.

pickledcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Crossovert*

Tootoo with the clear takedown and celebration, takedowns need to be looked at, they prove nothing.

Crossovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Sorry, I was actually talking about blunden because one of the Preds fans said Tootoo wanted to go with blunden until Sesitio stepped in, My bad
He went after Blunden because of the incident with Blunden coldcocking Tristan Grant in the back of the head after a whistle. It actually made more sense for Tootoo to fight Blunden just to clear the slate than Grant, who is more of a bonafide "fighter."

Old
09-20-2009, 12:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I would have had some respect for Tootoo had your statement been true. Sadly the video shows him jumping up and skating off the ice as if nothing was wrong. It was the linesman immediately calling for a trainer.

Maybe my memory is too long, but I still miss David Vyborny who was never 100% after getting run by Erat in a pre-season game.
I was at the game, and sitting dead center ice...I'm not sure what the camera shows, but Tootoo very clearly waved at both the Jackets' trainer as well as Dan Redmond, the Preds' trainer.