HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I need some help guys...Is it bad that im so excited for the season and Future?

Old
09-20-2009, 07:44 AM
otto1219

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No. Cap space is important, but, you don't give away your best young talent to create it.
no reason you cant do both? would you trade redden and staal or del zotto for a young offensive player like horton, little, booth, or brassard etc. And offensive player who has less value than staal but is young.

staal, sangs, del zotto, gilroy, girardi, mcdonaugh, sauer, potter, heikkenen.

I think by next year they could all be nhl ready, yet defenders in the ahl have little trade value.

I am against giving up either staal or del zotto, but im throwing out idea. If you were to tell me we could give up redden and staal for a stud center or wing under the age of 25 i would atleast think about it.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:01 PM
broadwayblue

I think we have a very good reason to be excited for the future...but not necessarily this season. Sure, it's going to be great having some of our more recent draft picks lacing them up every night. But as far as this season's expectations are concerned, mine are lower than they have been for the past couple of years. So while I'm looking forward to opening night and can't wait to be at MSG, I know deep down that this will not be our year as there are simply too many question marks and holes on the team right now. But I'm happy hockey is back...it's been too long!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
eco's bones

What I've seen with Staal the last couple years and what we're seeing with Del Zotto now--I wouldn't trade that. Staal is going to be the guy who lines up against the Malkin's and Ovechkin's. Del Zotto you can see has an idea how a Pwp should run--at 19 years old. We need them both. Watching Johnson I'm wondering wtf were the Penguins thinking? You know it's not just that he's making saves--he's tracking the puck real well and there's no rebounds--very fluid but controlled movement--he's looked great when someone has got in on him alone and has shown a great glove--the guy looks like he could be a No. 1 pretty easily.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I think the fact that Thomas Pock is no longer our hope to solve the problem as a point man on the power play is reason enough for some level of excitement.
I loled, partly because I was one of the ones advocating that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
somethings gotta give though, we have so many good prospects. Would you trade lets say staal or del zotto if it meant dumping reddens contract as well? With the current salary cap it will be insane to think that we could afford all these players once they hit their FA status. I feel the time is now (the next few years) with lundqvist in net, and unless we dump a huge salary we wont have the team.
absolutely not.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think we have a very good reason to be excited for the future...but not necessarily this season. Sure, it's going to be great having some of our more recent draft picks lacing them up every night. But as far as this season's expectations are concerned, mine are lower than they have been for the past couple of years. So while I'm looking forward to opening night and can't wait to be at MSG, I know deep down that this will not be our year as there are simply too many question marks and holes on the team right now. But I'm happy hockey is back...it's been too long!
That's exactly how I feel.
It's always been win now win now.
This is the first time in memory that I feel like the Rangers are really building for the future, and it feels ****ing good.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
SkerZ
LGR

I know what you are saying I get a little too excited myself...I love what I've seen from Gilroy and Del Zotto..Anisimov has looked great and Kotalik I was a bit sceptical about the first game when he missed a ton of shots wide..As time has gone on I have seen why so many say what they say about his shot and pp skills...Lisin is another one that I have taken a likeing too he is quick, skates real hard, and gets back on defense...Last off this kid Johnson is really impressing me I like what I see and hope to see more of him after this season (maybe take vallys spot) considering torts makes it seem like he will be using his backup about 5 to 10 more times than last year.....I can not wait untill October 3rd I will have the goose bumps when they say "and here are your NEW YORK RANGERSSSSS"

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:50 PM
BklyNYR4Life

I'm INCRDIBLY excited for this team.

Real prospect depth, and finally seeing some patience pay off. And this is really the tip of the iceburg.

For this season.... I believe in this team, every season, and I can't wait to see what this team can do.

Oct 3rd can't here soon enough

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
I'm INCRDIBLY excited for this team.

Real prospect depth, and finally seeing some patience pay off. And this is really the tip of the iceburg.

For this season.... I believe in this team, every season, and I can't wait to see what this team can do.

Oct 3rd can't here soon enough

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!
I have some great news for you, the season starts Oct. 2nd!

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
I have some great news for you, the season starts Oct. 2nd!
I know, but I'll be caught at work on 2nd and won't get to see much of the game.

I will be @ The Garden on the 3rd for the home opener. And better believe I'm psyched for it!!!

Thanks letting me know?

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Ive seen some good things from the younger guys. Encouraging things.

Am I overwhelmed enough to start drinking some kool-aid? Not quite.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:21 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Thoughts?

Chris Drury, 7 million Dollar cap hit for the next 3 seasons
Wade Redden, 6.5 million dollar cap hit for the next 5 seasons
Michal Rozsival, 5 million dollar cap hit for the next 3 seasons

I have no idea how we are going to keep all that talent.
I thought I read the NHL is giving a buyout option after this season for a player and it wont count against the cap or something like that? I'm not sure so I culd be completely wrong

But by the time the young kids need to be re-signed drury and rosie's contracts will be up and redden will probably be bought out or traded.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:48 AM
ohbaby

I am super excited about our future. Is it just me, or does Matt Gilroy look like the second coming of Brian Leetch? His instincts for joining the rush reminds me so much of Leetch. With Torts system, I'm predicting he's gonna standout this season. John Tavares has some competition for rookie of the year. Mark my words.

With Staal (Beukeboom) as his partner, we will have a top pairing for years to come.

Del Zotto is no slouch either. Maybe another year....

I'm not sold on Anisimov. Although he looks spectacular,.. it's against rookies. Not sure he's gonna get much ice time, and that will hamper his development. He might be ready, but his ice time will be limited.

Our secret weapon is Grachev. Once he grows into his frame, watchout. He's got talent.

Why are there links in my post?

Last edited by ohbaby: 09-21-2009 at 05:29 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:43 AM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
His instincts for joining the rush
Aside from joining the rush, he has been the rush on many occasions, gaining the blue line before our forwards even do. While I think this is a great thing, he better be busting his ass hard back to our zone when it's necessary, regardless if he's paired with any of our D at the moment.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:42 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Aside from joining the rush, he has been the rush on many occasions, gaining the blue line before our forwards even do. While I think this is a great thing, .
Wait til Gabby gets on the ice, he won't be alone then.

I can see them hooking up like Leetch and the Captain.

In this type of system, forwards must coverup for the D, that's what allows the them to take liberties.

Old
09-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Lisin - Another young Russian....showing great speed and offensive skill. We all heard "oh he's good at offensive but thats it...dont count on any defense"....but I dont know about you, but he's been hustling his ass back on defense in the preseason trying to help out. Been very impressed....even more happy with that Korpi trade.
I've never been worried about his defense, I don't know where that talk came from to start with. He don't have the size to be a factor defensivly, but he is not compareable with Zherdev in any way or form.

However, I am more worried about his offense. And he if don't crack our top 9 this season he is probably history and we gave away Korpi for nothing. So I am less then convinced about that trade.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Ola

Fly- We have downright tremendous potential on this team. People don't get that.

First of all Id like to mention 3 "vets" (I might not be precise with my vet/kids/rookie terms in this post).

1. Marian Gaborik -- He is a goto scorer and he is pretty cheap. If he didn't have any health concerns he could possibly have made up to 9m+. Like if he had scored 50 last season and hit the UFA market in his prime.

2. Henrik Lundqvist -- If I could pick one goaltender in this league I would pick him, everything considered (age et c). He isn't the best in the league, but he is always up there and he is a huge asset to have.

3. Sean Avery -- Not on par with the other two for sure, but he is a great asset for 2m per. He will hurt us at times and its up to Torts to be on top of that. But he is a good hockeyplayer, people forget that. He is our best forechecker and he have a nose for the net.

Then we have great deapth on defense. And in the game today where the game for a defensemen have changed a ton over a short period of time (do you guys still remember that guys like Rich Pilon and co were regulars in this league just in the 03-04 season?) -- its a smart move to stockpile young D's. They have a headstart basically on the vet instead of the other way around.

Staal-Gilroy
MDZ-Girardi
X-Sanguinetti

That group definitly have awsome potential.

Upfront we have a very solid core of hardworking players.

I don't mind a 4th line built around 3 giants like Voros-Boyle-Brash -- or guys like them. But I guess Boyle will take over Betts role and be here for a number of years too.

That leaves 9 spots left to fill. Here guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Grachev will provide a great core for the future.

With everything put together we are left with this "frame" for the future;
x-x-Gaborik
Grachev-Anisimov-x
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
x-Boyle-Brash
Staal-Gilroy
MDZ-Girardi
x-Sanguinetti
Lundqvist

Natrually, moves will be made et c and it won't look exactly like that. But starting next season we could have a very cheap core of players thats very good.

Its just to darn bad that we don't have the capspace to keep that core of young players together while bringing in a couple of players from the outside to compliment them. As it is now we will struggle just to keep the kids.

Old
09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
ohbaby

The Great One once said Lisin was the fastest skater he has ever seen. Then sent him to the minors. No doubt he has potential, but he's in a tough spot if he doesn't produce early on.

Old
09-21-2009, 07:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I thought I read the NHL is giving a buyout option after this season for a player and it wont count against the cap or something like that? I'm not sure so I culd be completely wrong

But by the time the young kids need to be re-signed drury and rosie's contracts will be up and redden will probably be bought out or traded.
That's just people speculating. After the last CBA was signed, teams were allowed to buy out players without it counting towards the cap. People are hoping that happens again when a new CBA is signed this time around. But there's nothing official to even suggest that might happen.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Thoughts?

I know it's been raining here in Atlanta for a month straight Inferno, but way to be Debbie Downer...Feline AIDS-wha wah. Drury, Redden & Rozsival’s crippling contracts-wha wah.

I pray for an amnesty buyout. Even so, what was the rule the last time around - one player per team?

If so keep Drury, try to trade Rosy and run screaming from Redden.

Also Inferno, it looks like my company is backing away from Philips Arena this year so it sux for both of us – no tix….value of corporate sponsorship dwindling-wha wah.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
morffin

Same here ... I started getting so much grief in my old Rangers board about this that I had to leave because of all the insults hurled my way.

I started to post positive things about this franchise last year and was laughed off many boards ..no one is laughing now.

Sather was a disaster the first few years here...but he has turned this franchise around.

We are on the cusp of the golden age of Rangers hockey.

I have been a Ranger fan since 1968 ... I have never seen this franchise so loaded with young talent ..and just wait ...with the financial resources this team has we will soon be the best in the lg at scouting and player dev.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
Same here ... I started getting so much grief in my old Rangers board about this that I had to leave because of all the insults hurled my way.

I started to post positive things about this franchise last year and was laughed off many boards ..no one is laughing now.

Sather was a disaster the first few years here...but he has turned this franchise around.

We are on the cusp of the golden age of Rangers hockey.

I have been a Ranger fan since 1968 ... I have never seen this franchise so loaded with young talent ..and just wait ...with the financial resources this team has we will soon be the best in the lg at scouting and player dev.
No offense, but you probably should read up on how the cap works, or you really have a ton of patient.

Unless Slats gets rid of his misstakes we have to sit through 400 games before we can start challenging for a top 4 spot in the east. And by that time we probably have to rebuild again, since our homegrowns will be older and expensive by then.

What other teams are spending on guys like Crosby, AO, Parise and co we are spending on a 3rd line center and a nr 4 D.

Old
09-21-2009, 02:45 PM
levski87

Drury's contract runs out in 3 years, which isn't so bad.

I honestly think if Kovalchuk is going to be on the market come July 1st, Sather is going to try hard to sign him. Kovalchuk will be a Ranger and Redden will be riding buses in the AHL.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
No offense, but you probably should read up on how the cap works, or you really have a ton of patient.

Unless Slats gets rid of his misstakes we have to sit through 400 games before we can start challenging for a top 4 spot in the east. And by that time we probably have to rebuild again, since our homegrowns will be older and expensive by then.

What other teams are spending on guys like Crosby, AO, Parise and co we are spending on a 3rd line center and a nr 4 D.
While I agree that we have some terrible contracts, I disagree that we will have to wait 400 games. This year there will be plenty of growing pains, and a non playoff result would not surprise me. Next year we will be a playoff team, but won't have enough to go the distance. In 2011-2012 we will have a legit shot to compete for the goblet. That's the way I see it. So more like 200 games of patience imo.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 09:52 AM
nally

Quote:
Thoughts?

I just don't/didn't get the Redden deal at all. I remember howling out loud when I saw the numbers. Perhaps Slats can trade him for some top end prospects ala Gomez.

nally is offline   Reply With Quote