HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Babchuk to Avangard Omsk (KHL)

Old
09-20-2009, 01:38 AM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Babchuk to Avangard Omsk (KHL)

http://www.hawk.ru/news/5261.html

Quote:
HC Avangard signed a contract with the defender of "Carolina" by Anton Babchuk.

Anton Babchuk will advocate for Omsk Avangard at number 78.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 09-20-2009 at 01:44 AM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 500
About time.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:19 AM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Well, there goes his NHL career. I doubt any team is going to sign him after doing this a second time.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 05:31 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Well this sucks. I always thought babchuk had the tools to be a real presence on the blueline. He obviously has the shot and if you look at his other non bomb type goals he has pretty good intincts. he scored 3-4 this year by following the play into the offensive zone and then potting the rebound because no one picked up on him. It sucks that we didnt get anything for him. If i had it my way he would be on the team right now in a bottom pairing role. He needs to use his body for god's sake! The is a monster but he rarely if ever lays people out. I just dont know with this guy. I guess i wish him the best but something should have been worked out on way or another.

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 05:44 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Ok, I'm officially pissed. Even taking the offer that you're unsure about would have been better then this result JR. Asset mismangement to the max simply because the guy holds a grudge over something that happened over 2 years ago now.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

And we get nothing. What a surprise.

09-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Well, there goes his NHL career. I doubt any team is going to sign him after doing this a second time.
Unfortunately, his NHL career was in rutherfords hands...

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The worst part of this? No resolution. Now we can look forward to speculation every offseason regarding his status.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Fumble

This may have been done to force JR's hands...
Meehan is a very smart agent, and was trying to get the power onto their side.

They tried to play nice and gave JR ample time to get a trade done, but were forced to go this route.

Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:10 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
This may have been done to force JR's hands...
Meehan is a very smart agent, and was trying to get the power onto their side.

They tried to play nice and gave JR ample time to get a trade done, but were forced to go this route.
There is nothing to force anymore. KHL season has already started and that means that no matter whatteam signs Babchuk he would have to go through the waivers.

Not that there would be that many teams interested, but still a risk to lose him especially if signing team just traded an asset to Carolina.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

vCash: 50
He who hesitates is lost, JR. You should have just traded him, even if you were uncomfortable with the offer. But hey, maybe this is what JR wanted all along.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:14 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Sweet, now we get to deal with this next offseason too....since we will still own his rights next summer.

Ive said all along, no team wants to pay for his goals when the rest of his game has issues and you have to hold his hand to keep him confident. No team was going to give JR anything for him without knowing they could sign Anton. Its likely that all deals would have required Anton agreeing to a contract first, which hardly would have been JRs fault.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:17 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
There is nothing to force anymore. KHL season has already started and that means that no matter whatteam signs Babchuk he would have to go through the waivers.

Not that there would be that many teams interested, but still a risk to lose him especially if signing team just traded an asset to Carolina.
A team could trade for his rights and then worry about signing him next summer.

Old
09-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Sweet, now we get to deal with this next offseason too....since we will still own his rights next summer.

Ive said all along, no team wants to pay for his goals when the rest of his game has issues and you have to hold his hand to keep him confident. No team was going to give JR anything for him without knowing they could sign Anton. Its likely that all deals would have required Anton agreeing to a contract first, which hardly would have been JRs fault.
JR stated he had an offer on the table, but he wanted to wait to see if anything better came along. I suppose that other offer never panned out and JR waited too long. So Anton leaves for nothing. That's JR's fault.

And Babchuk stated he wanted to play in the NHL. Likely, any team that would have offered him a contract, he would have signed.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:42 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
A team could trade for his rights and then worry about signing him next summer.
yes, a possibility. JR would look a genius if he pulls that for more than a 7th round pick.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:49 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
And Babchuk stated he wanted to play in the NHL. Likely, any team that would have offered him a contract, he would have signed.
cmon this is nonsense and you know it. If this was actually the case he would have sign the QO and went to free agency next season.

Please put on some clothes, your bias is showing

Old
09-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
cmon this is nonsense and you know it. If this was actually the case he would have sign the QO and went to free agency next season.

Please put on some clothes, your bias is showing
He didn't take the offer because he knew he could get more from other teams. JR's offer was a lowball offer, even with Babchuk's lackluster play in the playoffs.

So he asks for a trade. JR gets offers for Babchuk, but for whatever reason, ignores them completely. When it becomes obvious JR's got no intention of releasing Babchuk's rights, Babs signs with the KHL.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:41 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
He didn't take the offer because he knew he could get more from other teams. JR's offer was a lowball offer, even with Babchuk's lackluster play in the playoffs.

So he asks for a trade. JR gets offers for Babchuk, but for whatever reason, ignores them completely. When it becomes obvious JR's got no intention of releasing Babchuk's rights, Babs signs with the KHL.
How do you know that whatever offers there were (nothing concrete was ever confirmed) werent pulled off the table by the potentially interested parties? Of course you know best cuz you have a bug in JRs office and have heard him laughing with Karmanos plotting to hold out on any offer just to stick it to Babs and make sure he'd get nothing in return for him. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah, of course thats it.

I for 1 am glad to put this behind. The monkey is off the back and now its time to start fresh in the locker room with no disgruntled players not wanting to be here.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Regardless of your opinion on Anton Babchuk as a player, person, or teammate.... I would hope we could all agree that not getting anything in return for this asset at the peak of his value was unconscionable.

We can, and have, go around all day long about the merits and detriments of Babchuk's game.... but at the end of the day we allowed a 16 goal scoring, +13 finishing, 25 year old, 6-5, 220 lb. defenseman walk away from our team without getting any compensation.

Ask yourself this. Would any other team in the league allow that to happen?

I defend Rutherford aggressively on this forum and others for his tactics in team building and the amount of success he has facilitated from top to bottom in our organization.... but his one area of weakness has always been his whimsical longing for players that performed here previously paired with his fierce aversion to those that crossed him.

In this instance, a shrewd GM would have signed him to as little as he would possibly take and traded him for as much as he would possibly get.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
How do you know that whatever offers there were (nothing concrete was ever confirmed) werent pulled off the table by the potentially interested parties? Of course you know best cuz you have a bug in JRs office and have heard him laughing with Karmanos plotting to hold out on any offer just to stick it to Babs and make sure he'd get nothing in return for him. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah, of course thats it.

I for 1 am glad to put this behind. The monkey is off the back and now its time to start fresh in the locker room with no disgruntled players not wanting to be here.
You mean something like this?

Quote:
Canes general manager Jim Rutherford says he has one offer in hand for defenseman Anton Babchuk.

"But it's one I'm not totally comfortable with," he said today.

Then there's another team, he said, that is showing a lot of interest in working a trade.
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...o-move-babchuk

Comfortable or not, better to get something for him than nothing at all.

Old
09-21-2009, 07:28 AM
canesnecu

Quote:
You mean something like this?

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...o-move-babchuk

Comfortable or not, better to get something for him than nothing at all.
Yeah, just like that. The guy said he there was another team interested in working a trade which is exactly what he said he wanted to do with Babs. Its possible the the trade involved something else that JR wasnt going for and the first offer that he said he wasnt comfortable with might have been a rediculous offer. If he had another potential deal, why would he take the first one he didnt think was good enough.

Sucks the way it all panned out and anyone can spin whats been written and said about this through the media anyway they want to suit their argument. Bottom line is hes gone now and life should move on without a malcontent.

It wasnt like he wasnt ofered a spot of the roster and a million dollar to come back and play in the NHL. Maybe a million wasnt what he thought he was worth but if just took it and had another good year, he could write his own ticket. JR ofered him his freedom in return for 2 reasonable years of service, all this after knowing the guy has the history and potential to run out on him.

On the flip side, I dont blame Babs for not wanting to come back here after all that unfolded this summer but he had the chance to stop things from getting out of hand early in the negotiations when he was ofered a top 4 NHL spot. His agent works for him, not the other way around. JR never waivered with his stance, take the offer or leave. There was no negotiating because Babs held 0 cards, all of his own doing.

At least hes not playing for a div rival so we dont have to hear about this all eason long. 'Till next summer....cant wait

Last edited by canesnecu: 09-21-2009 at 08:25 AM.
canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Chrispy

I lean toward JR's side on the contract negotiations. While we don't know the numbers Babchuk wanted, he did state a desire for a 3-year deal at one point. He knows that includes his first year of UFA, and I'm sure he was asking to be paid more up front in return for what he felt would be a lower amount in year 3 than he could get as a UFA.

I'd also expect that Rutherford is letting Babchuk and his agent talk to any team serious about acquiring him. I doubt anyone is offering a significantly better deal than a 3rd round pick, so letting them talk isn't really risking an offer sheet. It wouldn't surprise me if contract demands are causing issues with getting a trade done as well.

I don't buy the idea that Rutherford is passing on getting something back in terms of talent as a vendetta against Babchuk. I can believe that Rutherford doesn't think any of the offers are worth Babchuk's potential or Babchuk still isn't happy with the contract offers and both would rather wait and see if they can get something more in line with their expectations next year instead.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:16 AM
geehaad

Carolina still retains his rights...all is not lost.

Given that the Canes retain his rights, it makes zero sense to give him away for a bag of pucks. And if you qualify your "should have taken any deal" opinion as something greater than a bag of pucks, then you are presuming to know that the offer was more than that, which you will never know.

JR has proven himself smarter than the lot of us over and over and over and over. Until proven otherwise, it's best to assume that he's doing so again in this instance.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:21 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I lean toward JR's side on the contract negotiations. While we don't know the numbers Babchuk wanted, he did state a desire for a 3-year deal at one point. He knows that includes his first year of UFA, and I'm sure he was asking to be paid more up front in return for what he felt would be a lower amount in year 3 than he could get as a UFA.

I'd also expect that Rutherford is letting Babchuk and his agent talk to any team serious about acquiring him. I doubt anyone is offering a significantly better deal than a 3rd round pick, so letting them talk isn't really risking an offer sheet. It wouldn't surprise me if contract demands are causing issues with getting a trade done as well.

I don't buy the idea that Rutherford is passing on getting something back in terms of talent as a vendetta against Babchuk. I can believe that Rutherford doesn't think any of the offers are worth Babchuk's potential or Babchuk still isn't happy with the contract offers and both would rather wait and see if they can get something more in line with their expectations next year instead.
I think that's the key point some are missing since his rights are still held by Carolina.

I'm surprised, or maybe I missed it, that nobody mentioned Corvo's quote from the N&O about the improvements on D. He could have been targeting some of Seidenberg's game in the comments but it has Babchuk written all over it...

Quote:
"I think we're more solid, better all around," Corvo said. "We needed some guys who think the game a little better or may be a little quicker and not be a liability out there."
Maybe Babchuk can subsidize his income by starring in his own reality show: All About Anton.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
"I don't think anything different of him," Rutherford said. "I think he's a solid NHL player that given the opportunity should score 15 goals every year. He may very well, the next time he plays [in the NHL], do it here."
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1698919.html
Very interesting quote from the N&O

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote