HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You Be the Coach! - Post YOUR Opening Night Roster

Old
09-20-2009, 08:12 AM
blue2noise

vCash: 500
You Be the Coach! - Post YOUR Opening Night Roster

Now that we've gotten a good look at the vets, kids, etc. Now it's your turn to be a "Torts kinda guy". Let's see your final lines for opening night..

Mine:

Gaborik - Dubinsky - Prospal
Higgins - Drury - Kotalik
Callahan - Anisimov - Avery
Brashear - Boyle - Lisin

Staal - Gilroy
Girardi - Del Zotto
Semanov - Redden
Rosie (7th)

Grachev is on the bubble but lets play him every night on the op line in HFD for bit.

Last edited by blue2noise: 09-20-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: I forgot Higgins...Thanks Immortal
blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:22 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Umm you forgot higgins?

Prospal-Drury-Gaborik
Higgins-Dubinsky-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Kotalik
Brashear - Boyle - Lisin

Staal-Girardi
Roszival-Redden
Gilroy-MDZ
Semenov (7th)

The Lunatic Fridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:27 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Umm you forgot higgins?

Prospal-Drury-Gaborik
Higgins-Dubinsky-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Kotalik
Brashear - Boyle - Lisin

Staal-Girardi
Roszival-Redden
Gilroy-MDZ
Semenov (7th)
oh crap! youre right!

Old
09-20-2009, 08:28 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Roszival-Redden
Even though i know this is going to be how it is, it makes me sick to my stomach

Old
09-20-2009, 08:39 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Even though i know this is going to be how it is, it makes me sick to my stomach
It's the moneh-pair

I would say split girardi and staal with redden and rozy but redden looked girardi look like schultz getting dangled by dubinsky

The Lunatic Fridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:59 AM
EvilEmpire94

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Kotalik
Lisin-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Brashear

I think there will be competition all year long for a spot on one of the 3 forward lines, so players will be switched in and out every game.

Staal-Gilroy
Girardi-MDZ
Redden-Rozsival
Semenov

EvilEmpire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:04 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
My theoretical 23 man team in June (of actual NYR players then & now) would have been:

Gaborik - Prospal - Zherdev (replacing Kotalik at 3,25 - not to be)
Grachev - Drury - Higgins
Callahan - Dubinsky - Avery
Lisin - Anisimov - Brashear
Boyle - Byers (replace AA + Lisin against goon squads like Toronto & Philly)

Redden (cuz nobody would have him) - MDZ
Staal - Gilroy
Mara - Girardi
FA signing - a vet with grit

Hank
A new backup

Rossival would have ideally been dealt at the draft for more picks/upgrade

But alas - instead - I believe this to be the lineup:
(being highly interchangeable as games and season go along...)

Avery - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Kotalik - Drury - Higgins
Prospal - AA - Callahan
Brashear - Boyle - Voros
Last man ?? - PAP

Dreadden Redden - Drops the Ball Roszival
Staal - Gilroy
Girardi - MDZ
Semenov

Hank
Vally

Hartford: Sangs, Grachev, Lisin

Just a gut feeling

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Kotalik-Drury-Callahan
Higgins-Anisimov-Lisin
Avery-Boyle-Brashear
ex: Voros

Redden-Rozsival
Staal-Gilroy
Del Zotto-Girardi
ex: Semenov

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Vitto79

This is a tough call. Given the cap I am going with this. DelZotto back to juniors even though yes I agree He deserves to be their but he is only 19 and they did not rush Staal. Voros deserves a spot too but given the cap I think he is out and on waivers. Grachev to Hartford

that leaves

Prospal, Dubinsky, Gaborik
Higgins, Drury, Callahan
Kotalik, Anisimov, Lisin
Avery, Boyle, Brashear
Parenteau

Staal, Gilroy
Reden, Girardi
Rozsival, Sanguinetti
Semenov

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:31 AM
TrueBlueSwede

Higgins - Anisimov - Gaborik
Lisin - Dubinsky - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Kotalik
Avery - Boyle - Brashear
Voros

Staal - Gilroy
Redden - Girardi
Roszival - Sanguenetti
Semenov

TrueBlueSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Higgins - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Kotalik - Dury - Prospal
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Lisin - Boyle - Brashear

Staal - Gilroy
Girardi - Redden
Rozsival - Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'll just say my roster, let Tortorella figure out the lines

Anisimov
Avery
Boyle
Brashear
Callahan
Drury
Dubinsky
Gaborik
Higgins
Kotalik
Lisin
Prospal
Parenteau (13th)

Del Zotto
Gilroy
Girardi
Redden
Rozsival
Staal
Semenov (7th)

Lundqvist
Valiquette

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Outside the box here...

Avery Dubinsky Gaborik - No, I do not think Avery I a first line player. However, I think in this system, I think he can be for this reason. If I understand Tortorella's system correct...Is massive forecheck, force the oppoitions defense into making hasty decisions with the puck...thus creating possible turnovers. When the turnovers happen, capitalize in transition and keep the opposition on his heels while they struggle to get back into the play. Ultimately bury the puck on these type of mistakes. Avery I think can be the fiesty LW on this line that is sort of the first man in on the forcheck. Be the harrasing guy he is and get all over the other clubs defenders. Dubinsky and Gaborik to me play perfect into this. Both players have quick transition. If they can create enough chemisry together to know where each other no only is, but where they are going to be I could really see this line makin some noise.

Higgins Drury Callahan - I know...Kotalik was brought in here to play with Drury and all....But what if the "All-American" line actually got it chance to together. Got three guys here who are all potential team USA guys this year for Vancouver. All three guy here are successful in this league for a few like reasons. They hustle, they play hard, and more imortanly they play smart and to thier abilities. This might be the hardest working line in NY Rangers history. I am a firm believer of keeping the same line, and letting the players learn about each others game. Cally may be the best forechecker in the game. I personally think he's the best waterbug in the game. 4th in the league in hits is quite an accomplishment. Drury had his best years in that quick transition game he played in Buffalo. Higgins i think can fit in well with these two and has the talent level to keep up and succeed with that transition I spoke about.

Prospal Anisimov Kotalik - Purely experimentation here...but John Tortorella has said he wants players to get creative out there. Wants them to do what comes natural. Let's see what happens here with an all european line. Kotalik some may not like so far, but I have been a big fan of what I have seen. Anisimov didn't impress me much untill I got to see some of that creativity he showed in his last two games. Prospal is a much better skater than I ever game him credit for. Effortlessly he seemed to move faster than everyone else on the ice with him. Not sure about the forecheck game here, but I am certain the transition game btween these three can be fun to watch. Also would like to see them gain time together for potential pp scenerios.

Brashear Boyle Voros- I liked what these three have accomplished with the limited icetime they got. Personally it's Byers over Voros for me, but I think Voros is the guy that is going to take the position. Bang Smash Boom!

Staal Gilroy - Love the idea of Brian Leetch and Jeff Beuk together again! Well, maybe Staal doesn't have the snarl Beuk did, but he is all around the better player. Super stay at home guy, who is intelligent enough to stay ahead by reading the play. Gilroy may need some time before he can be on the top pairing, but his conditioning is there already. His offense is sorely missed. And I love having the 4th forward out there. I expect big things from this duo.

Redden Rozy - YAWN! I just hope they make it look like they are actually interested!

Del Zoot Siut Girardi - A message to Glen Sather, John Torts and anyone else involved... Do not send him back to Juniors! He is wise beyond his years! The poise is incredible for a 19yr old kid. Let him learn from big brother Dan Girardi. I was laughing when I saw them together on the bench. The looked like brothers. Dan G, always steady, you know whe's getting the job done not by his talent, but by his willingess to not give up on a play and willing to compete on a nightly basis.

Henrik- Nuff said
Johnson <--
How the hell did Sather steal this kid? I really like Vally, but I think the kid did what he needed to do in the pre-season so far to open everyones eyes.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:08 AM
acapps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmpire94 View Post
Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Kotalik
Lisin-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Brashear

I think there will be competition all year long for a spot on one of the 3 forward lines, so players will be switched in and out every game.

Staal-Gilroy
Girardi-MDZ
Redden-Rozsival
Semenov
couldn't agree with your set up any more

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Outside the box here...

Avery Dubinsky Gaborik - No, I do not think Avery I a first line player. However, I think in this system, I think he can be for this reason. If I understand Tortorella's system correct...Is massive forecheck, force the oppoitions defense into making hasty decisions with the puck...thus creating possible turnovers. When the turnovers happen, capitalize in transition and keep the opposition on his heels while they struggle to get back into the play. Ultimately bury the puck on these type of mistakes. Avery I think can be the fiesty LW on this line that is sort of the first man in on the forcheck. Be the harrasing guy he is and get all over the other clubs defenders. Dubinsky and Gaborik to me play perfect into this. Both players have quick transition. If they can create enough chemisry together to know where each other no only is, but where they are going to be I could really see this line makin some noise.

Higgins Drury Callahan - I know...Kotalik was brought in here to play with Drury and all....But what if the "All-American" line actually got it chance to together. Got three guys here who are all potential team USA guys this year for Vancouver. All three guy here are successful in this league for a few like reasons. They hustle, they play hard, and more imortanly they play smart and to thier abilities. This might be the hardest working line in NY Rangers history. I am a firm believer of keeping the same line, and letting the players learn about each others game. Cally may be the best forechecker in the game. I personally think he's the best waterbug in the game. 4th in the league in hits is quite an accomplishment. Drury had his best years in that quick transition game he played in Buffalo. Higgins i think can fit in well with these two and has the talent level to keep up and succeed with that transition I spoke about.

Prospal Anisimov Kotalik - Purely experimentation here...but John Tortorella has said he wants players to get creative out there. Wants them to do what comes natural. Let's see what happens here with an all european line. Kotalik some may not like so far, but I have been a big fan of what I have seen. Anisimov didn't impress me much untill I got to see some of that creativity he showed in his last two games. Prospal is a much better skater than I ever game him credit for. Effortlessly he seemed to move faster than everyone else on the ice with him. Not sure about the forecheck game here, but I am certain the transition game btween these three can be fun to watch. Also would like to see them gain time together for potential pp scenerios.

Brashear Boyle Voros- I liked what these three have accomplished with the limited icetime they got. Personally it's Byers over Voros for me, but I think Voros is the guy that is going to take the position. Bang Smash Boom!

Staal Gilroy - Love the idea of Brian Leetch and Jeff Beuk together again! Well, maybe Staal doesn't have the snarl Beuk did, but he is all around the better player. Super stay at home guy, who is intelligent enough to stay ahead by reading the play. Gilroy may need some time before he can be on the top pairing, but his conditioning is there already. His offense is sorely missed. And I love having the 4th forward out there. I expect big things from this duo.

Redden Rozy - YAWN! I just hope they make it look like they are actually interested!

Del Zoot Siut Girardi - A message to Glen Sather, John Torts and anyone else involved... Do not send him back to Juniors! He is wise beyond his years! The poise is incredible for a 19yr old kid. Let him learn from big brother Dan Girardi. I was laughing when I saw them together on the bench. The looked like brothers. Dan G, always steady, you know whe's getting the job done not by his talent, but by his willingess to not give up on a play and willing to compete on a nightly basis.

Henrik- Nuff said
Johnson <--
How the hell did Sather steal this kid? I really like Vally, but I think the kid did what he needed to do in the pre-season so far to open everyones eyes.
I like this.
A lot.

Throw Grachev and Lisin in HFD to tone their skill a little bit. I love what I saw from the both of them but have them dominate or at least do incredibly well down in the AHL and then pull them up next season or whenever... I would be down for that roster opening night.

Lisin absolutely earned his spot in the top nine, but doesn't deserve to rot on the fourth line. Besides, Voros-Boyle-Brash were fantastic to watch and I want to continue seeing them together.

Have Parenteau as the spare forward and Semenov as the 7th d-man and we're square. Anyone know how that would work out cap-wise?

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:33 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Wow, it's come THAT far that people seriously have Semenov in this lineup instead of Rozsival?

That is blasphemy . . . .

and no Grachev?

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Taking age out as a factor, people are really going to pick Sangs over MDZ? Really? His play should speak for itself, and justify his potential cap hit as well. Through my eyes, he would absolutely be worth it.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:48 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Without even posting a roster...

If you don't have Anisimov, DZ, and Gilroy in your lineup, I'm scratching my head..

Grachev is understandable but I'd put him in as well.

And Semenov in for anyone is a joke.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

This is kinda tough because I would want to try some outside the box thinking here...

this would be an experiment that I would change if it didnt work right away.

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik (Gaborik seems to work his best with someone to do his dirty work along the boards, and a skilled guy to create time and space for him. I know AA is a kid, but the 1 part of his game you can absolutely count on is his defensive responsibility. This will work well with a guy like Gaborik who you can sorta let cherry pick.)

Higgins - Drury - Callahan (Hard working, north american, in your face, players, all play very complimentary styles, however they don't really have a playmaker among them, but if youre all playing the "get the puck to the net, crash the net, get rebounds, kinda game, then do you really need a playmaker?)

Avery - Prospal - Kotalik (Complimentary styles, 3rd line, might work...might not.)

Lisin - Boyle - Brashear (typical 4th line, with some offensive punch)

ok, more later, ive gotta run to my own hockey game in 2 mins.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post
Taking age out as a factor, people are really going to pick Sangs over MDZ? Really? His play should speak for itself, and justify his potential cap hit as well. Through my eyes, he would absolutely be worth it.
Worse case is they can start the year with Del Zotto and he has 9 games to keep showing he belongs.

I agree he's looking like he does. I have Sanguinetti in their instaed but I get and won't be surprsied if Del Zotto is

also if you want a R with a L then it does make more sense DelZotto is in with Sanguinetti down

This is such a great problem to have. You have to give credti Sangs for playing some good games.

Next game is a big one

Also with Voros I look at it like this. I rather have Lisin in their all the time with Voros sitting, so with that I rather not have him on the team and have Parenteau as the spare.

Voros, Boyle , Brashear is ginorn so I get why people would like to keep that intact with limited minutes

tough call for the coaching staff for sure

Can't wait to see the lineup with Dubinsky and Gaborik in it. The line combos will make more sense then........I doubt Dubi plays Mon though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:04 AM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
To Hartford (final cuts): Grachev, Sanguinetti

Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Higgins - Drury - Callahan
Lisin - Anisimov - Kotalik
Avery - Boyle - Brashear
ex: Parenteau, Voros

Redden - Rozsival
Staal - Gilroy
Girardi - Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Unless Grachev plays every game, send him down to Hartford so he can get some professional experience. No use in him sitting in the press box. Sanguinetti goes down at least for the first 10 games, where Del Zotto can prove if he is ready. If Del Zotto looks like he could use some more developing then send him back to juniors for the year and call up Sangs.

Rangers have a decent amount of depth. I could still see a trade happening.

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:08 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Lisin on the 4th line?...I really dont know about that guys.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:09 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
To Hartford (final cuts): Grachev, Sanguinetti

Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Higgins - Drury - Callahan
Lisin - Anisimov - Kotalik
Avery - Boyle - Brashear
ex: Parenteau, Voros

Redden - Rozsival
Staal - Gilroy
Girardi - Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Unless Grachev plays every game, send him down to Hartford so he can get some professional experience. No use in him sitting in the press box. Sanguinetti goes down at least for the first 10 games, where Del Zotto can prove if he is ready. If Del Zotto looks like he could use some more developing then send him back to juniors for the year and call up Sangs.

Rangers have a decent amount of depth. I could still see a trade happening.
Completely agreed. Except I flip Lisin and Kotalik on the 3rd line.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Completely agreed. Except I flip Lisin and Kotalik on the 3rd line.
Nah Lisin shoots left and Kotalik shoots right.

Also you know damn well that if Avery plays on the 4th line he's going to ***** and moan.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:31 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Nah Lisin shoots left and Kotalik shoots right.
Except that Kotalik is equally comfortable on both sides and Lisin prefers the right side. (Note: this is based primarily on what I've read and only limited in-person viewing. If Lisin is, in fact, comfortable on his natural side, then Leopold's lineup does make sense.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Also you know damn well that if Avery plays on the 4th line he's going to ***** and moan.
You know, something that gets lost in this whole "can Sean Avery play on the 4th line" debate - is that we picked him up off the scrap heap! NO OTHER TEAM WANTS him and he is in the NHL only at the good graces of Glen Sather. And let's not forget that he's not exactly John Tortorella's favorite player.

People automatically pencil him in to the top 9 because of what they remember BEFORE he left for Dallas and because - let's be honest - they simply LIKE his bush league antics. However, the fact of the matter is that he hurts the team as often as he helps it, without factoring in the special treatment he gets from officials. And when you DO factor in his reputation with league officials it only exacerbates that problem. (And whether or not you think that's fair, is irrelevant - it's a factor that a coach who wants to win games has to take into account.)

Do I think he would piss and moan if he got "demoted" to play on the fourth line (while being moved up in certain situations throughout a game)? Yes. Do I think that he has any leverage at all, or that Torts would stand for his pissing and moaning? No.

Look, Avery supporters may not believe this, but I recognize that he has the skill to be a top 9 player (a very good 3rd liner, or an okay 2nd liner). But, as I said, he hurts the team as much as he helps it because of what goes on between his ears. Furthermore, he has a game that fits a lot better with the fourth line than does Lisin or Kotalik or Prospal or Higgins or anyone else you might want to put there.

And if Lisin continues to play well (and continues to mesh with AA), he WILL be "forcing" the coach to play him, as I think GAGline described it. So what happens then? I mean, if Lisin pots one or two more in the last couple of PS games, do you really think Torts puts him in the pressbox simply to protect the pride of a player who's never cracked 20 goals (and who he has a history of clashing with)? I can very easily see Sean being a fourth liner, who gets moved up the roster on games where the team comes out flat.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 09-20-2009 at 11:49 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote