HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading some of the young players

Old
09-20-2009, 08:14 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
Trading some of the young players

Hi guys,

I really feel this needs to be addressed, we are going to be in Salary Cap Hell next year unless we get some relief, with these players either RFA's or UFA's

S.kos
Lapierre
Chipchura
D'Ago
Stewart
Latendresse
Price
Halak

Now along with them we also have Plekanac, I really think that this season will need to be a determining factor in many of there futures with the organization, we just don't have the space to keep all of them. Obviously Lapierre will be back and one of Price and Halak will be, but who else do you think will be back for next year? and in that line of thought do you think we should trade some for assests.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Hi guys,

I really feel this needs to be addressed, we are going to be in Salary Cap Hell next year unless we get some relief, with these players either RFA's or UFA's

S.kos
Lapierre
Chipchura
D'Ago
Stewart
Latendresse
Price
Halak

Now along with them we also have Plekanac, I really think that this season will need to be a determining factor in many of there futures with the organization, we just don't have the space to keep all of them. Obviously Lapierre will be back and one of Price and Halak will be, but who else do you think will be back for next year? and in that line of thought do you think we should trade some for assests.
If you are aware of all the trade rumors involving the habs in the last months, they are all about trading some of our prospects for a established player, ideally a center. So I think the situation has been acknowledged by the management.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Hi guys,

S.kos
Lapierre
Chipchura
D'Ago
Stewart
Latendresse
Price
Halak

We have to trade Hamrlik ... we can't afford to keep his salary if the salary cap stays as is or goes down. That to me is the key .. Players I think will stay beyond this season of the ones you name above:

Lapierre
Latendresse
Price
D'Agostini
Stewart

Players who I think won't be with us next season:

S.Kost
Chipchura
Halak
Plekanec

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Too early for me to even think about it. Let them play and see what happens. Some of them don't have much trade value now, some of them will have even less at the end of the season, and maybe some will just be cut loose instead of being traded. That's fine, that's the way it goes.

I *hope* that all the players stay with us long-term. Because that will mean they all had good seasons and are helping the team. Plekanec is the only one who I feel is already identifiable as a likely departure, though, due to his contract situation. The rest it's all down to how they play this year, how they impress the staff.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Galchenyuk94

I really hope Bob works some magic and clears enough space to send a big offer to Kovalchuk. Something tells me he's going to test the FA market if the thrashers still suck this year.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:40 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Too early this will only be thought about a month or two into the season after management sees where things are going. A minor trade might be done at the end of camp but I would be surprised.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
cedouimet

vCash: 2203
Well, can't really say who's in and who's out...

To much depends on the season, on the contract demands, and on the center we might get in a trade. Because YES i think there will be a trade at some point this season, including plekanec and young players/prospects (all speculation here). But if you get a Carter, it won't be the same players than if you get a marleau...(EXEMPLES HERE)

So taking all this into account, at least before Xmas is to early to tell

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
We have to trade Hamrlik ... we can't afford to keep his salary if the salary cap stays as is or goes down. That to me is the key ..
Yes, it is indeed key to create an enormous hole on defense.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Marksman

I'm not worried.

These are all RFAs. Unless they have *really* big year, theres not much leverage.

Couple of the veterans (Metro, Mara) will be off the books.

Halak will propably traded anyway and the only players I see taking big raises to what their cap hit is now are Kostitsyn jr and Latendresse - provided they have a breakout year.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see Sergei and possibly even Halak traded in the course of the season, with Chipchura as a throw-in. Andrei might even join that group and Plekanec would have to be included if Gainey can get his hands on a big offensive center.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:00 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Way too early to even think about next years cap. We need these young players to play the way they can and give us a good run for the playoffs.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:23 AM
JohnnyFreds

Players who I think won't be with us next season:

S.Kost
Chipchura
Halak
Plekanec

I dont agree with S. Kost going to leave next year. Gainey is in love with the Kost brothers and there our future. I do believe we are in demand for a big center. I like the kovachuk idea. Gainey is in good relations with the GM there. Honestly who else would Gainey be look at Marleau? ugh i doubt it..sharks have done enough this season inquiring the services from heatley. Sundin? haha yeah right. Retire already damn it.

Any names that come to mind for big centers that we could possibly trade for?

JohnnyFreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see Sergei and possibly even Halak traded in the course of the season, with Chipchura as a throw-in. Andrei might even join that group and Plekanec would have to be included if Gainey can get his hands on a big offensive center.
Yo dawg,

You just traded the whole farm and 1/3 of the top 6. Same with back-up/quasi-starter goalie.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:01 AM
emb24*

i see deals happening but there's this alarming trend which has now begun - after a few years of 'celebrating' the system - and that is dealing or letting our first rounders walk - or trading them since 2001...

komi, higgins, 1st for tanguay, macdonag, now talk of andrei, chipchura...

am i missing anyone?

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFreds View Post
Any names that come to mind for big centers that we could possibly trade for?
Jordan Staal
Jason Arnott
Patrice Bergeron
Michal Handzus
Jeff Carter
Ryan Kesler

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:19 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Jordan Staal
Jason Arnott
Patrice Bergeron
Michal Handzus
Jeff Carter
Ryan Kesler
None of them are available. Jokinen at the trade deadline would had been the ideal big centre. Forget Lecavalier of course. Handzus in overpriced and he is a third line center, anyway. Patrice Bergeron is not big, and I don't foresee a Bruins-Habs deal in any near future.

I would like to see a trade for Frolov, though. Has he re-signed with the Kings yet ?

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 09-20-2009 at 11:25 AM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:24 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
None of them are available. Jokinen at the trade deadline would had been the ideal big centre. Forget Lecavalier of course. Handzus in overpriced. Patrice Bergeron is not big.
how about jason allison

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:26 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
i see deals happening but there's this alarming trend which has now begun - after a few years of 'celebrating' the system - and that is dealing or letting our first rounders walk - or trading them since 2001...

komi, higgins, 1st for tanguay, macdonag, now talk of andrei, chipchura...

am i missing anyone?
Does it finally mean that the Habs suck at drafting 1st round players ?

Old
09-20-2009, 11:27 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
how about jason allison
Now that a good idea

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:27 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
how about jason allison
or Sundin ?

Old
09-20-2009, 11:30 AM
neofury*

I personally see the two Kosty bro's as late bloomers in the NHL and future PPG guys. I know you guys will crucify me for saying this, especially regarding S. Kost, but I think 1 more year in the AHL would've done wonders for his development and for his overall attitude.

Sort of like how the Sedin's were late bloomers, they just need some time and patience. Andrei is already starting to show that he might just be a late bloomer. Sergei, well he's had a rocky start. I think trading these two guys would be a big mistake.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Yo dawg,

You just traded the whole farm and 1/3 of the top 6. Same with back-up/quasi-starter goalie.
I didn't trade anyone, I said I wouldn't be shocked of they were gone. Don't forget that in trades, other players come the other way.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Plek replaced by maxwell.
Hammer replaced by a youngster, not to mention o'byrne will make the team full-time.

Seems fairly simple. Unless d'ags or wtv gets 30 goals, i don't see a kessel contract.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I personally see the two Kosty bro's as late bloomers in the NHL and future PPG guys. I know you guys will crucify me for saying this, especially regarding S. Kost, but I think 1 more year in the AHL would've done wonders for his development and for his overall attitude.

Sort of like how the Sedin's were late bloomers, they just need some time and patience. Andrei is already starting to show that he might just be a late bloomer. Sergei, well he's had a rocky start. I think trading these two guys would be a big mistake.
I won't crucify you, I agree. I think you take the Kostitsyns, put them in a team like Nashville where they are automatically top 6 players and they'll produce 60-70 pts naturally.

Everyone pimped Sergei as a future 70-80 points player before last season and now it's the exact opposite... I'm glad I didn't drink that kool-aid. Sergei has raw talent and I'm willing to give him time. Now if he doesn't acknowledge that, then parting ways with him will be done in easier circumstances.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:01 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

I think this team is done with the Impact Big Centre hunts, if they were ever really looking for one. If both AK & SK give a really slow performance this year, I think they'll be the first the be sent away as I think they're the only ones that could attract interest

Otherwise, we'll simply risk losing some prospects on waivers all year. The team wouldn't care, specially if AK or SK or both are dynamite.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote