HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can you add to this list: NHL players born by state, province, nation?

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2004, 09:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 822
Can you add to this list: NHL players born by state, province, nation?

I am trying to list NHL players (past or present) BORN in as many US states, Canadian provinces/territories and world nations as possible. I have chosen just one player to represent each (I chose the player randomly, so please don't be offended if I didn't list the best); I am more interested in filling in the blanks. If you can add to this list, great...

[B]CANADIAN PROVINCES AND TERRITORIES:[/B]
Alberta -- Mark Messier; British Columbia -- Steve Yzerman; Manitoba -- Terry Sawchuk; Nanavut -- NONE; New Brunswick -- Don Sweeney; Newfoundland -- Darren Langdon; Northwest Territories -- Geoff Sanderson; Nova Scotia -- Al MacInnis; Ontario -- Wayne Gretzky; Prince Edward Island -- Brad Richards; Quebec -- Raymond Bourque; Saskatchewan -- Gordie Howe; Yukon -- NONE

US STATE
Alaska -- Scott Gomez; California -- John Blue; Colorado -- John Grahame;Connecticut -- Chris Drury; Delaware -- Mark Eaton; Florida -- Dallas Eakins;Georgia -- Eric Chouinard; Illinois -- Bates Battaglia; Indiana -- Ken Klee; Iowa -- Scott Clemmensen; Maryland -- Jeff Halpern; Massachusetts -- Tony Amonte; Michigan -- Derian Hatcher; Minnesota -- Trent Klatt; Missouri -- Paul Ranheim;New Hampshire -- Deron Quint; New Jersey -- Paul Mara; New York -- Todd Marchant; North Dakota -- Mike Peluso; Ohio -- Brett Harkins: Oklahoma -- Tyler Arnason; Oregon -- Derek Gustafson; Pennsylvania -- Mike Richter;Rhode Island -- Brian Boucher; Texas -- Brian Leetch; Utah -- Steve Konowalchuk; Vermont -- John LeClair; Virginia -- Eric Weinrich; Washington (state) David Wilkie; Washington, DC -- Kevyn Adams; Wisconsin -- Gary Suter

NONE: Maine, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming, Alabama.

BY NATION
Norway -- Espen Knutsen; Switzerland -- David Aebischer; South Africa -- Olaf Kolzig; Brazil -- Robyn Regehr; Jamaica -- Graeme Townshend; Czechoslavakia -- Roman Cechmanek; Finland -- Teemu Selanne; Latvia -- Sandis Ozolinsh; Ireland -- Owen Nolan; Tanzania -- Chris Nielsen; Sweden -- Mats Sundin; England -- Steve Thomas; Poland -- Mariusz Czerkawski; Nigeria -- Roman Ndur; Germany (West) -- Sven Butenschon; USSR -- Pavel Bure; Ukraine -- Ruslan Fedotenko; South Korea -- Richard Park; Taiwan (Formosa) -- Rod Langway. I listed the nation that was in effect the time of birth

Old
04-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 500
Isn't Tootoo from either the Yukon or Nunavut?

Scratch that....it was Manitoba...he's Inuit descent though.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

I should add:
France: Cristobal Huet
Austria:Thomas Pock

Old
04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
H3ro

Nunavut : Jordin Tootoo

Old
04-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3ro
Nunavut : Jordin Tootoo
Nah, check my post above, I just looked and Yahoo says Manitoba, but I coulda sworn it was Nunavut.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:47 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
Nah, check my post above, I just looked and Yahoo says Manitoba, but I coulda sworn it was Nunavut.
He was born in Churchill, Manitoba...which is within a polar bear's walking distance from Nunavut.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
I thought so, too, but he was born in Churchill, Manitoba according to a couple of sites I checked.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:53 PM
nazzy

Yukon: Gerard Dicaire (Faro, Yukon) Although he is a prospect of the Lightning, doesn't really count as an NHL player just yet. But some have listed as him born in Fort St. John, BC.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:54 PM
littleHossa

Change USSR to Russia, Roumania to Arpad Mihaly, Austria to Vanek

Old
04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
jstreim

Nebraska: Jed Ortmeyer, NY Rangers

Change West Germany to: Dany Heatley or Marco Sturm

Last edited by jstreim: 04-05-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old
04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Bill Lindsey: Big Fork, Montana.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Edler Statesman*

change massachusetts to Bill Guerin, Czechoslovakia to Jaromir Jagr, and Newfoundland to Jason King

Old
04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
H3ro

Quote:
I listed the nation that was in effect the time of birth
I don't know what the situation was in that time, but:

Belarus : Ruslan Salei
Germany: Jochen Hecht (Could also be Dany Heatley, born in Freibourg...)

Old
04-05-2004, 10:04 PM
littleHossa

He did say that the actual player doesn't matter, it's just to make a list.. however, how come you have Czechoslovakia and USSR? I don't think Irbe would liked to be called a USSR goalie, or a slovak to be called a czech, put them with the country that their hearts belong to.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Bill Lindsey: Big Fork, Montana.
Interesting: NHL.com lists what you mention but two books I have ("The Official Guide and Record Book" and "Total NHL" both list Ferrie, BC as his birthplace). All three say May 17, 1971. I assume NHL.com is correct.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:13 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
He did say that the actual player doesn't matter, it's just to make a list.. however, how come you have Czechoslovakia and USSR? I don't think Irbe would liked to be called a USSR goalie, or a slovak to be called a czech, put them with the country that their hearts belong to.
I understand but that is why I made the notation at the end of my original thread. I used what was listed in "TOTAL NHL." The editors, it says, are the same as "TOTAL HOCKEY: The Official Encyclopedia of the NHL." No offense was intended.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
MSE, I have a book called "PLAYERS, the ultimate A-Z Guide of everyone who has played in the NHL," and it lists "Big Fork, Montana" as well.

So that's 2 vs. 2 I guess.

I'm talking about Bill Lindsay of course.

If it helps, his little blurb says "[he] played internationally for the U.S., though he holds dual citizenship (Canada) ..."

edit: Heh, interesting. NHL.com lists Montana, like you said, but nhlpa.com says it's Fernie. whaddayaknow, the NHL and NHLPA can't agree.

Last edited by Rotting Corpse*: 04-05-2004 at 10:22 PM.
Old
04-05-2004, 10:32 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Isn't Nolan from Northern Ireland not Ireland?

Old
04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Isn't Nolan from Northern Ireland not Ireland?
Yeah, I think you are correct though the NHL.com site lists it as Great Britain and "Total NHL" lists it as Ireland.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
I believe Tom Barrasso (sp?) was from Boston Mass.

Old
04-06-2004, 12:30 AM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Yeah, I think you are correct though the NHL.com site lists it as Great Britain and "Total NHL" lists it as Ireland.
NHLPA.com says Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Old
04-06-2004, 01:28 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
I am trying to list NHL players (past or present) BORN in as many US states, Canadian provinces/territories and world nations as possible. I have chosen just one player to represent each (I chose the player randomly, so please don't be offended if I didn't list the best); I am more interested in filling in the blanks. If you can add to this list, great...

[B]CANADIAN PROVINCES AND TERRITORIES:[/B]
Alberta -- Mark Messier; British Columbia -- Steve Yzerman; Manitoba -- Terry Sawchuk; Nanavut -- NONE; New Brunswick -- Don Sweeney; Newfoundland -- Darren Langdon; Northwest Territories -- Geoff Sanderson; Nova Scotia -- Al MacInnis; Ontario -- Wayne Gretzky; Prince Edward Island -- Brad Richards; Quebec -- Raymond Bourque; Saskatchewan -- Gordie Howe; Yukon -- NONE

US STATE
Alaska -- Scott Gomez; California -- John Blue; Colorado -- John Grahame;Connecticut -- Chris Drury; Delaware -- Mark Eaton; Florida -- Dallas Eakins;Georgia -- Eric Chouinard; Illinois -- Bates Battaglia; Indiana -- Ken Klee; Iowa -- Scott Clemmensen; Maryland -- Jeff Halpern; Massachusetts -- Tony Amonte; Michigan -- Derian Hatcher; Minnesota -- Trent Klatt; Missouri -- Paul Ranheim;New Hampshire -- Deron Quint; New Jersey -- Paul Mara; New York -- Todd Marchant; North Dakota -- Mike Peluso; Ohio -- Brett Harkins: Oklahoma -- Tyler Arnason; Oregon -- Derek Gustafson; Pennsylvania -- Mike Richter;Rhode Island -- Brian Boucher; Texas -- Brian Leetch; Utah -- Steve Konowalchuk; Vermont -- John LeClair; Virginia -- Eric Weinrich; Washington (state) David Wilkie; Washington, DC -- Kevyn Adams; Wisconsin -- Gary Suter

NONE: Maine, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming, Alabama.

BY NATION
Norway -- Espen Knutsen; Switzerland -- David Aebischer; South Africa -- Olaf Kolzig; Brazil -- Robyn Regehr; Jamaica -- Graeme Townshend; Czechoslavakia -- Roman Cechmanek; Finland -- Teemu Selanne; Latvia -- Sandis Ozolinsh; Ireland -- Owen Nolan; Tanzania -- Chris Nielsen; Sweden -- Mats Sundin; England -- Steve Thomas; Poland -- Mariusz Czerkawski; Nigeria -- Roman Ndur; Germany (West) -- Sven Butenschon; USSR -- Pavel Bure; Ukraine -- Ruslan Fedotenko; South Korea -- Richard Park; Taiwan (Formosa) -- Rod Langway. I listed the nation that was in effect the time of birth

Maine -- Jeff Libby
Scotland -- Steve Smith

Old
04-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Cristobal Huet - France

Old
04-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty