HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can you add to this list: NHL players born by state, province, nation?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2004, 09:31 PM
  #1
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 822
Can you add to this list: NHL players born by state, province, nation?

I am trying to list NHL players (past or present) BORN in as many US states, Canadian provinces/territories and world nations as possible. I have chosen just one player to represent each (I chose the player randomly, so please don't be offended if I didn't list the best); I am more interested in filling in the blanks. If you can add to this list, great...

[B]CANADIAN PROVINCES AND TERRITORIES:[/B]
Alberta -- Mark Messier; British Columbia -- Steve Yzerman; Manitoba -- Terry Sawchuk; Nanavut -- NONE; New Brunswick -- Don Sweeney; Newfoundland -- Darren Langdon; Northwest Territories -- Geoff Sanderson; Nova Scotia -- Al MacInnis; Ontario -- Wayne Gretzky; Prince Edward Island -- Brad Richards; Quebec -- Raymond Bourque; Saskatchewan -- Gordie Howe; Yukon -- NONE

US STATE
Alaska -- Scott Gomez; California -- John Blue; Colorado -- John Grahame;Connecticut -- Chris Drury; Delaware -- Mark Eaton; Florida -- Dallas Eakins;Georgia -- Eric Chouinard; Illinois -- Bates Battaglia; Indiana -- Ken Klee; Iowa -- Scott Clemmensen; Maryland -- Jeff Halpern; Massachusetts -- Tony Amonte; Michigan -- Derian Hatcher; Minnesota -- Trent Klatt; Missouri -- Paul Ranheim;New Hampshire -- Deron Quint; New Jersey -- Paul Mara; New York -- Todd Marchant; North Dakota -- Mike Peluso; Ohio -- Brett Harkins: Oklahoma -- Tyler Arnason; Oregon -- Derek Gustafson; Pennsylvania -- Mike Richter;Rhode Island -- Brian Boucher; Texas -- Brian Leetch; Utah -- Steve Konowalchuk; Vermont -- John LeClair; Virginia -- Eric Weinrich; Washington (state) David Wilkie; Washington, DC -- Kevyn Adams; Wisconsin -- Gary Suter

NONE: Maine, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming, Alabama.

BY NATION
Norway -- Espen Knutsen; Switzerland -- David Aebischer; South Africa -- Olaf Kolzig; Brazil -- Robyn Regehr; Jamaica -- Graeme Townshend; Czechoslavakia -- Roman Cechmanek; Finland -- Teemu Selanne; Latvia -- Sandis Ozolinsh; Ireland -- Owen Nolan; Tanzania -- Chris Nielsen; Sweden -- Mats Sundin; England -- Steve Thomas; Poland -- Mariusz Czerkawski; Nigeria -- Roman Ndur; Germany (West) -- Sven Butenschon; USSR -- Pavel Bure; Ukraine -- Ruslan Fedotenko; South Korea -- Richard Park; Taiwan (Formosa) -- Rod Langway. I listed the nation that was in effect the time of birth

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:42 PM
  #2
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,294
vCash: 500
Isn't Tootoo from either the Yukon or Nunavut?

Scratch that....it was Manitoba...he's Inuit descent though.

Afino is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
  #3
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 822
I should add:
France: Cristobal Huet
Austria:Thomas Pock

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
  #4
H3ro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Nunavut : Jordin Tootoo

H3ro is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:44 PM
  #5
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3ro
Nunavut : Jordin Tootoo
Nah, check my post above, I just looked and Yahoo says Manitoba, but I coulda sworn it was Nunavut.

Afino is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:47 PM
  #6
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
Nah, check my post above, I just looked and Yahoo says Manitoba, but I coulda sworn it was Nunavut.
He was born in Churchill, Manitoba...which is within a polar bear's walking distance from Nunavut.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:47 PM
  #7
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
Nah, check my post above, I just looked and Yahoo says Manitoba, but I coulda sworn it was Nunavut.
I thought so, too, but he was born in Churchill, Manitoba according to a couple of sites I checked.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:53 PM
  #8
nazzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Yukon: Gerard Dicaire (Faro, Yukon) Although he is a prospect of the Lightning, doesn't really count as an NHL player just yet. But some have listed as him born in Fort St. John, BC.

nazzy is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:54 PM
  #9
littleHossa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
Change USSR to Russia, Roumania to Arpad Mihaly, Austria to Vanek

littleHossa is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
  #10
jstreim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Nebraska: Jed Ortmeyer, NY Rangers

Change West Germany to: Dany Heatley or Marco Sturm


Last edited by jstreim: 04-05-2004 at 10:02 PM.
jstreim is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
  #11
Rabid Ranger
Drifter
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Old School
Country: United States
Posts: 19,103
vCash: 500
Bill Lindsey: Big Fork, Montana.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 09:59 PM
  #12
Edler Statesman*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New West, BC
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 500
change massachusetts to Bill Guerin, Czechoslovakia to Jaromir Jagr, and Newfoundland to Jason King

Edler Statesman* is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
  #13
H3ro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
I listed the nation that was in effect the time of birth
I don't know what the situation was in that time, but:

Belarus : Ruslan Salei
Germany: Jochen Hecht (Could also be Dany Heatley, born in Freibourg...)

H3ro is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:04 PM
  #14
littleHossa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
He did say that the actual player doesn't matter, it's just to make a list.. however, how come you have Czechoslovakia and USSR? I don't think Irbe would liked to be called a USSR goalie, or a slovak to be called a czech, put them with the country that their hearts belong to.

littleHossa is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:10 PM
  #15
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Bill Lindsey: Big Fork, Montana.
Interesting: NHL.com lists what you mention but two books I have ("The Official Guide and Record Book" and "Total NHL" both list Ferrie, BC as his birthplace). All three say May 17, 1971. I assume NHL.com is correct.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:13 PM
  #16
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
He did say that the actual player doesn't matter, it's just to make a list.. however, how come you have Czechoslovakia and USSR? I don't think Irbe would liked to be called a USSR goalie, or a slovak to be called a czech, put them with the country that their hearts belong to.
I understand but that is why I made the notation at the end of my original thread. I used what was listed in "TOTAL NHL." The editors, it says, are the same as "TOTAL HOCKEY: The Official Encyclopedia of the NHL." No offense was intended.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:16 PM
  #17
Rotting Corpse*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
MSE, I have a book called "PLAYERS, the ultimate A-Z Guide of everyone who has played in the NHL," and it lists "Big Fork, Montana" as well.

So that's 2 vs. 2 I guess.

I'm talking about Bill Lindsay of course.

If it helps, his little blurb says "[he] played internationally for the U.S., though he holds dual citizenship (Canada) ..."

edit: Heh, interesting. NHL.com lists Montana, like you said, but nhlpa.com says it's Fernie. whaddayaknow, the NHL and NHLPA can't agree.


Last edited by Rotting Corpse*: 04-05-2004 at 10:22 PM.
Rotting Corpse* is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:32 PM
  #18
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Isn't Nolan from Northern Ireland not Ireland?

CCF is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
  #19
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,896
vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Isn't Nolan from Northern Ireland not Ireland?
Yeah, I think you are correct though the NHL.com site lists it as Great Britain and "Total NHL" lists it as Ireland.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
  #20
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,742
vCash: 445
I believe Tom Barrasso (sp?) was from Boston Mass.

DaveG is online now  
Old
04-06-2004, 12:30 AM
  #21
CCF
This is the year....
 
CCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Across Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Yeah, I think you are correct though the NHL.com site lists it as Great Britain and "Total NHL" lists it as Ireland.
NHLPA.com says Belfast, Northern Ireland.

CCF is offline  
Old
04-06-2004, 01:28 AM
  #22
hillbilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
I am trying to list NHL players (past or present) BORN in as many US states, Canadian provinces/territories and world nations as possible. I have chosen just one player to represent each (I chose the player randomly, so please don't be offended if I didn't list the best); I am more interested in filling in the blanks. If you can add to this list, great...

[B]CANADIAN PROVINCES AND TERRITORIES:[/B]
Alberta -- Mark Messier; British Columbia -- Steve Yzerman; Manitoba -- Terry Sawchuk; Nanavut -- NONE; New Brunswick -- Don Sweeney; Newfoundland -- Darren Langdon; Northwest Territories -- Geoff Sanderson; Nova Scotia -- Al MacInnis; Ontario -- Wayne Gretzky; Prince Edward Island -- Brad Richards; Quebec -- Raymond Bourque; Saskatchewan -- Gordie Howe; Yukon -- NONE

US STATE
Alaska -- Scott Gomez; California -- John Blue; Colorado -- John Grahame;Connecticut -- Chris Drury; Delaware -- Mark Eaton; Florida -- Dallas Eakins;Georgia -- Eric Chouinard; Illinois -- Bates Battaglia; Indiana -- Ken Klee; Iowa -- Scott Clemmensen; Maryland -- Jeff Halpern; Massachusetts -- Tony Amonte; Michigan -- Derian Hatcher; Minnesota -- Trent Klatt; Missouri -- Paul Ranheim;New Hampshire -- Deron Quint; New Jersey -- Paul Mara; New York -- Todd Marchant; North Dakota -- Mike Peluso; Ohio -- Brett Harkins: Oklahoma -- Tyler Arnason; Oregon -- Derek Gustafson; Pennsylvania -- Mike Richter;Rhode Island -- Brian Boucher; Texas -- Brian Leetch; Utah -- Steve Konowalchuk; Vermont -- John LeClair; Virginia -- Eric Weinrich; Washington (state) David Wilkie; Washington, DC -- Kevyn Adams; Wisconsin -- Gary Suter

NONE: Maine, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyoming, Alabama.

BY NATION
Norway -- Espen Knutsen; Switzerland -- David Aebischer; South Africa -- Olaf Kolzig; Brazil -- Robyn Regehr; Jamaica -- Graeme Townshend; Czechoslavakia -- Roman Cechmanek; Finland -- Teemu Selanne; Latvia -- Sandis Ozolinsh; Ireland -- Owen Nolan; Tanzania -- Chris Nielsen; Sweden -- Mats Sundin; England -- Steve Thomas; Poland -- Mariusz Czerkawski; Nigeria -- Roman Ndur; Germany (West) -- Sven Butenschon; USSR -- Pavel Bure; Ukraine -- Ruslan Fedotenko; South Korea -- Richard Park; Taiwan (Formosa) -- Rod Langway. I listed the nation that was in effect the time of birth

Maine -- Jeff Libby
Scotland -- Steve Smith

hillbilly is offline  
Old
04-06-2004, 01:38 AM
  #23
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi
 
Hans Moleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: FTW
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,642
vCash: 500
Cristobal Huet - France

Hans Moleman is offline  
Old
04-06-2004, 01:48 AM
  #24
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
Did Paul Mara actually grow up in NJ?

If not put Jim Dowd in his place.

Toonces is offline  
Old
04-06-2004, 03:55 AM
  #25
TVanek26*
 
TVanek26*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buffalo,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Mathieu Schneider-NYC

TVanek26* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.