HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings 2009-10 CHL, NCAA, and USHL Prospects Update Thread

Old
03-14-2010, 12:15 AM
McSorley 33

vCash: 500
Tuebert was never been classified as a GOON to begin with....seriously people. How many first rounders taken high in the draft were drafted to be a goon.

Tuebert has skills and will be a valued asset to this hockey team.

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:17 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post
Tuebert was never been classified as a GOON to begin with....seriously people. How many first rounders taken high in the draft were drafted to be a goon.

hey hey, i never called Tuebert a goon. I understand he was never been. I just asked a question. I want him to turn out as the tough stay-at-home as much as the next person.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:41 AM
razzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post

Wouldn't it be awesome if he turned out similar to Dave Manson, although that is reaching pretty high. Man I wish we had drafted Dave instead of Gratton or Duncanson...would have impacted the team for over a decade. Drafting... in the past, last couple of years

razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:50 PM
ru4reals

Anyone know if Schenn got the 2 points needed for 100?

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He did not. Schenn ends his season with 99 points. He went on quite a tear after rejoining Brandon after the World Juniors. Schenn is a man on a mission. Going to be fun watching him in the Memorial Cup.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:00 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Anyone know if Schenn got the 2 points needed for 100?
Nevermind just found out. Didn't score in the last game ends up with 99 points. Still a great season.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Calgary leads 8-1.

Kozun: 4A

Barring a massive scoring day by somebody, Kozun has won the WHL Scoring title.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Calgary leads 8-1.

Kozun: 4A

Barring a massive scoring day by somebody, Kozun has won the WHL Scoring title.
The closest guys who could catch Kozun would be either Craig Cunningham or Mitch Wahl and they'd need 12 points tonight. (100% not going to happen) 2nd last year, 1st this year, that's 215 points in his last 2 seasons in the WHL!

After Kozun got his 4th assist, he spent the rest of the game (23 mins) on the bench. They didn't want to take any chances that he'd get hurt in a meaningless game.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:44 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Congrats to Brandon Kozun for winning the scoring title in the WHL and to Martin Jones for being the top goalie in the WHL

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:47 AM
deano

With the end of the regular CHL season today, I can be nothing but happy about the progress of our prospects. Brandon Kozun gets a four point game on the final day of the season the lead the entire CHL with 107 points. Martin Jones finishes as the top goalie in the WHL with a 2.21 GAA. Schenn finishes the season fifth is scoring with 99 points. Czarnik and Clifford's offensive output....and so on. So many great story lines with these young players. To think that there will be other solid prospects added at the draft. Congratulations to the Kings organization. Job well done.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
St. cloud is in the WCHA Final Five Friday afternoon against Wisconsin, game should be on FSN North. Roe has points in 20 of 21 games in the 2nd half getting 31 points (15G, 16A) in that span.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
St. cloud is in the WCHA Final Five Friday afternoon against Wisconsin, game should be on FSN North. Roe has points in 20 of 21 games in the 2nd half getting 31 points (15G, 16A) in that span.
Thank you for your information.

I remember Roe was drilled by Hickey in the prospect camp but still managed to score. Smallish player that has a bit of Möller in him. It will be hard for him to crack the Kings lineup but I hope he can surprise us next summer

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:07 PM
LombardiTool

The Regina beat writer says Teubert is going to Ontario.

Link

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
The Regina beat writer says Teubert is going to Ontario.

Link
is this guy legit? I thought teubert would for sure go to Manch, hmm

Old
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
is this guy legit? I thought teubert would for sure go to Manch, hmm
Really dunno. Some of the CHL beat writers are in tight with the teams and players and consider them an extension to their team. This guy may not even know the Kings minor system and may think that Teubert will go where he went last year. Guess we'll find out.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
palffytofrovlov

All Kings CHL prospects are in the playoffs except for Teubert, should be interesting to follow them. The only prospects who could be available in the next 2 weeks for Manchester could be Muzzin and Nolan, since his Sault Ste Marie is facing Cznarik's Plymouth team.... But you can forget seeing Schenn, Kozun, Jones, Clifford up in Manchester unless an unforeseen upset happens because they are all expect to play a long time in the playoffs.

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
Thank you for your information.

I remember Roe was drilled by Hickey in the prospect camp but still managed to score. Smallish player that has a bit of Möller in him. It will be hard for him to crack the Kings lineup but I hope he can surprise us next summer
He's only a Junior, let us keep him one more year please.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:34 AM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by palffytofrovlov View Post
All Kings CHL prospects are in the playoffs except for Teubert, should be interesting to follow them. The only prospects who could be available in the next 2 weeks for Manchester could be Muzzin and Nolan, since his Sault Ste Marie is facing Cznarik's Plymouth team.... But you can forget seeing Schenn, Kozun, Jones, Clifford up in Manchester unless an unforeseen upset happens because they are all expect to play a long time in the playoffs.
Martin Nolet is our NCAA prospect available to be signed . I was hoping to see him signed to an ATO in Manchester or Ontrario, but we are so deep with defensemen, that I doubt it happens. He did look really good at prospect camp two years ago. Nothing more than a shut down guy, but I thought he played with good instincts and was tough to play against defensively.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by palffytofrovlov View Post
Schenn isn't going anywhere even if his team gets upset, he's playing in the Memorial Cup and I agree with the rest of those names.

One thing I was/am still shocked with is how we were able to sign an undrafted Martin Jones? He's a big dude, so size wasn't a problem, I just don't see how no one selected him in the draft? There must've been something wrong with him

Old
03-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Hipfan

Quote:
Schenn isn't going anywhere even if his team gets upset, he's playing in the Memorial Cup and I agree with the rest of those names.

One thing I was/am still shocked with is how we were able to sign an undrafted Martin Jones? He's a big dude, so size wasn't a problem, I just don't see how no one selected him in the draft? There must've been something wrong with him
I might be able to shed some light on why Jones was not selected.

When he came into the WHL, he spent the first two years (age 16 & 17) as a backup goalie and was never given an opportunity other than to come off the bench in spot starts. Getting into 16 games in his rookie season and 27 games in his sophomore one, he really didn't get a huge chance to show the scouts how good he was and as a result, entered the 2008 NHL Entry Draft as the #6 rated goalie in the WHL.

However, in the 2008 Draft, only 5 WHL goalies were selected: Chet Pickard, Jacob Deserres, Braden Holtby, Dustin Tokarski, and Morgan Clark. Apparently there was interest, however no NHL team had heavily scouted Jones and nobody used one of their later picks even as a gamble.

It was somewhere about a week or two after the draft apparently that his dad (arena manager for GM Place in Vancouver) had lit a fire in the ears of management in Vancouver and they were going to offer a tryout to Jones to see what he could offer. Lombardi just beat Vancouver to the punch, figuring that he couldn't lose much giving a tall lanky kid a tryout and what was supposed to be a week in training camp turned out to be much more. In fact, Lombardi didn't send Jones back to the WHL until October that year, securing him with a contract under a hardly-used clause 8.9 b ii).

Calgary promptly released their starter of the previous 2 seasons (he would have been an over-age player anyways) and Jones suddenly had starting-goaltender minutes. In no way did he disappoint, recording a 45-5 record, a low 2 average, and recording 7 shutouts - in hindsight, there's probably a ton of GMs who wish they would have taken a chance on Jones by this time.

With the additional experience of working with Hockey Canada and being selected for the WJC, Jones really became a more accomplished goalie. He was always good at using his size, and Calgary Hitmen goaltender coach Darcy Wakaluk is exceptionally good at getting his goalies to work on angles; experience with Team Canada and Ron Tugnutt got Jones to take on more of a "crease presence" and to work on his puck-handling ability.

So in short, there's nothing wrong with Jones - in fact, he's become a better goaltender who has got to play in elite situations. Maybe if he had played on a sub-par team where he would have gotten more starts at 17 then he would have been a high selection (like Calvin Pickard will be this year). As a WHL observer, I really think the Kings got a steal of a goalie and he both physically and mentally is ready to play in Manchester next season.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Thanks for the report on Marty Jones. It is evident to all that next season, with Bernier graduating to the NHL as Quick's backup, that Jones will be serving as the backup to Jeff Zatkoff in Manchester.

Eventually, one of Bernier or Quick will remain as the starting goalie and one of the two (my guess would be Quick) will be dealt to make room for the other. Zatkoff or Jones will then compete for that backup spot and J.F. Berube or another prospect will be signed to compete for the starting or backup role in Manchester.

This is the cycle Lombardi wanted to implement in Los Angeles, just as he had in San Jose when they groomed Nabokov behind veterans in Vernon and Shields. Vernon moved on, Shields took over and Nabokov backed up, then Nabokov beat Shields out for the starting role and Shields was moved (along with Jeff Friesen) for Teemu Selanne.

The Sharks had Hedberg, Kiprusoff and Toskala all waiting in the system to backup Nabokov, but none of them would beat him out for the starting role (and rightfully so). They acquired a number of assets in moving Hedberg, Kiprusoff and Toskala, and I could see a similar situation developing in Los Angeles should they be fortunate enough to have their goalies continue to progress in their development.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post

When he came into the WHL, he spent the first two years (age 16 & 17) as a backup goalie and was never given an opportunity other than to come off the bench in spot starts. Getting into 16 games in his rookie season and 27 games in his sophomore one, he really didn't get a huge chance to show the scouts how good he was and as a result, entered the 2008 NHL Entry Draft as the #6 rated goalie in the WHL.

However, in the 2008 Draft, only 5 WHL goalies were selected: Chet Pickard, Jacob Deserres, Braden Holtby, Dustin Tokarski, and Morgan Clark. Apparently there was interest, however no NHL team had heavily scouted Jones and nobody used one of their later picks even as a gamble.

It was somewhere about a week or two after the draft apparently that his dad (arena manager for GM Place in Vancouver) had lit a fire in the ears of management in Vancouver and they were going to offer a tryout to Jones to see what he could offer. Lombardi just beat Vancouver to the punch, figuring that he couldn't lose much giving a tall lanky kid a tryout and what was supposed to be a week in training camp turned out to be much more. In fact, Lombardi didn't send Jones back to the WHL until October that year, securing him with a contract under a hardly-used clause 8.9 b ii).

Calgary promptly released their starter of the previous 2 seasons (he would have been an over-age player anyways) and Jones suddenly had starting-goaltender minutes. In no way did he disappoint, recording a 45-5 record, a low 2 average, and recording 7 shutouts - in hindsight, there's probably a ton of GMs who wish they would have taken a chance on Jones by this time.

With the additional experience of working with Hockey Canada and being selected for the WJC, Jones really became a more accomplished goalie. He was always good at using his size, and Calgary Hitmen goaltender coach Darcy Wakaluk is exceptionally good at getting his goalies to work on angles; experience with Team Canada and Ron Tugnutt got Jones to take on more of a "crease presence" and to work on his puck-handling ability.

So in short, there's nothing wrong with Jones - in fact, he's become a better goaltender who has got to play in elite situations. Maybe if he had played on a sub-par team where he would have gotten more starts at 17 then he would have been a high selection (like Calvin Pickard will be this year). As a WHL observer, I really think the Kings got a steal of a goalie and he both physically and mentally is ready to play in Manchester next season.
Now that's a mother****ing answer!

Boba Fettuccine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post

hahaha wow, thank you. Your thoughts on Brandon Kozun? Do you really think he'll make an impact in the NHL? I personally love his game, I just wish he was a couple inches taller.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
hangons

Quote:
hahaha wow, thank you. Your thoughts on Brandon Kozun? Do you really think he'll make an impact in the NHL? I personally love his game, I just wish he was a couple inches taller.
If he were a couple inches taller the Kings wouldn't have been able to grab him with a late round pick.

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Rommel

I hope you like it.

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote