HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4-5M Player

Old
09-20-2009, 07:18 PM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
4-5M Player

After all that has happened the last few days with Kessel would it be safe to say that if the right player comes along between 4-5M we are in a position to make a deal?

All the talk over the summer and FA season we have talked about signing a player for 1-2M to play on the 2nd line.

The Kessel deal had 2010 1st Rounder, 2010 2nd Rounder, Blum and rights to Rads. Plus an offer of 4.5M for 5 years and it was turned down.

What other players of interest out there could we fetch up with a similar deal?

Frolov for Blum and Radulov
Loui Eriksson for 1st, 2nd and Radulov
Hejduk for a 2nd or Blum

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
echlfreak

maybe Forsberg? If his foot is finally healthy and only for 2-3M

Old
09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

It's been said that if Poile can justify the addition to the lineup, we can exceed the team's self-imposed cap, so if the right player comes along, we can probably make the deal, but it won't be somebody like Jason Blake or probably even Peter Forsberg (because he might play all of 30 games).

Frolov's cap number is actually only $2.9M, even though his salary is much higher. The question is, do we qualify for revenue sharing based on cap number or actual payroll?

The Stars won't trade Eriksson, and considering his excellent season last year, I don't blame them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:36 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
After all that has happened the last few days with Kessel would it be safe to say that if the right player comes along between 4-5M we are in a position to make a deal?

All the talk over the summer and FA season we have talked about signing a player for 1-2M to play on the 2nd line.

The Kessel deal had 2010 1st Rounder, 2010 2nd Rounder, Blum and rights to Rads. Plus an offer of 4.5M for 5 years and it was turned down.

What other players of interest out there could we fetch up with a similar deal?

Frolov for Blum and Radulov
Loui Eriksson for 1st, 2nd and Radulov
Hejduk for a 2nd or Blum

Kessel was a unique case. 36 goal scorer at 21. That doesn't come along very often. I don't think management or ownership is looking to spend that money. As was mentioned here by Slake though ownership would increase payroll if the right situation was made available.

Frolov? Very good player but he is a UFA next year. No go.

Eriksson? Dallas has no reason to trade him

Hedjuk? a 2nd OR Blum? That's quite a difference in deals right there. He is older. I doubt he would qualify as the special circumstance player.

From what we have seen thus far I am more than content to go with Santo on the 2nd line going into the season. If he doesn't work out then we explore other options.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It's been said that if Poile can justify the addition to the lineup, we can exceed the team's self-imposed cap, so if the right player comes along, we can probably make the deal, but it won't be somebody like Jason Blake or probably even Peter Forsberg (because he might play all of 30 games).

Frolov's cap number is actually only $2.9M, even though his salary is much higher. The question is, do we qualify for revenue sharing based on cap number or actual payroll?

The Stars won't trade Eriksson, and considering his excellent season last year, I don't blame them.
Good question. I always assumed it was just cap number.

Another thing fans should note is that our actual payroll is higher than our cap number already. Legwand, Erat, Hamhuis, Ellis and a couple others all make more in salary this year than their cap hit. So while our cap hit is at ~$44M, our actual payroll is closer to ~$46M

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Jarnberg

It is cap number, confirmed by Santos on the radio the other day.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 10:54 PM
echlfreak

I read in another post Hawks Trades a proposal of:

Versteeg and Crawfor/Niemi to Nashville
Blum and Dan Ellis

Solves the top forward issue and allows us to lock up a young stud

Old
09-21-2009, 01:25 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:

Blum and Dan Ellis

I'd jump on that deal. Why would Chicago do that? Need for a younger goaltender? They signed Versteeg this summer for just over 3 mil/yr for three years, so he's at a very good price. I can't see them moving a rookie who scored over 50 pts.

That would be sweet for our side...

Edit: Just checked his hockeydb numbers and he hasn't been a huge scorer previously, although solid. So maybe his value in a trade wold be highest after such a good rookie season has everybody guessing at what he could do in the future. When maybe his numbers won't get all that much better. Still, his rookie year was as good as a lot of Legwands or Erats years.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think Blum will be a better player than Versteeg, personally...I'd rather use that chip on someone a little more proven.

Now, if Chicago was looking to move Sharp...that'd be a different story.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Jarnberg

The Predators are more than likely going with what they got, yeah maybe they'll pick up a player off of waivers, but not a $4 million player.

Kessel seems like a special case player. If we had $4 million to throw at anyone, we would have been more active in free agency. But we were not, but had a chance to add a young goalscorer.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The Predators are more than likely going with what they got, yeah maybe they'll pick up a player off of waivers, but not a $4 million player.

Kessel seems like a special case player. If we had $4 million to throw at anyone, we would have been more active in free agency. But we were not, but had a chance to add a young goalscorer.
from comments that have been made pretty recently, it sounds like we were more active than we realized...coming close on both Kovalev and Tanguay, but in the end were simply not chosen.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
from comments that have been made pretty recently, it sounds like we were more active than we realized...coming close on both Kovalev and Tanguay, but in the end were simply not chosen.
Wasn't Felder the only source for Kovalev and Tanguay? Seems like wishful thinking on his part.

Old
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
dulzhok

Quote:

Blum and Dan Ellis

I like the idea of getting Vertseg, but the likelihood of an interdivision trades is slim. I'm still kinda shocked that it went down with Toronto/Boston.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I like the idea of getting Vertseg, but the likelihood of an interdivision trades is slim. I'm still kinda shocked that it went down with Toronto/Boston.
So am I. Very shocked... I don't like how a 21 year old can have control over the situation like that. Though, I guess Kessel may feel resentment towards Boston since they chose Morris over him.

Old
09-21-2009, 12:25 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
So am I. Very shocked... I don't like how a 21 year old can have control over the situation like that. Though, I guess Kessel may feel resentment towards Boston since they chose Morris over him.
Curious as to why you don't think Kessel should have control over where he can play. Because of his age? He was just in the right place at the right time. The teams control so much of a player's life and career. It's rare that the player gets an opportunity to make a difference. Besides, if we offered the money Toronto did, he might be here. Would you turn down almost $5 million extra over five years to come to Nashville? Why?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:59 PM
goalscorer

I'd jump on the Sharp deal and probably the Versteeg deal as well. I think the world of Blum, but IMO with Nash not making the playoffs last year that managment desperately needs to get us back in. Not only for the extra revinue the playoffs bring, but to reestablish that we aren't a joke in the league as many imply and to prove that our games are worth coming to see.

When I have brought friends to games (who are not hockey "fans") and we lose there doesnt seem to be too much interset in coming back. They seem mostly interested in the fights and dont understand whats going on with the play. But if we're winning and everyones going nuts they seem to take a little more interest in whats going on and feel like their victory was some how worth them being there. Nobody likes cheering for the loser, even if your not a die hard fan.

Im no gm, but Id have to think that you turn a casual fan into a season ticket holder by getting them excited about not only the game, but the team as well. Its hard to get behind a team if theyre always losing and all you hear is people bashing them. They need to get us past the first round quick and in a hurry, while still planning for the future.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Wasn't Felder the only source for Kovalev and Tanguay? Seems like wishful thinking on his part.
I've heard it other places from sources I trust...though I do think Felder is mostly on the mark with what he hears.

Glennon posted a blog to close out the Kessel situation this morning...kind of talking about how a lot of people (us) think Poile does nothing\doesn't pursue anything aggressively, but that the truth is the opposite, at least according to Arnott. He just plays things close to the vest. They also said Poile has been trying to get Kessel as far back as the draft.

I think the unfortunate truth is that our reputation has kind of suffered since the sale, and we're back to where we were in 03-04 or so...where we have difficulty getting people to sign here.

Old
09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Do we have any interest in Frolov?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I don't think he'll be traded before the deadline. The Kings didn't go trade for Smyth or sign Scuderi to a big contract because they're planning to suck this year. I think they're in that same 7-12 bubble that we are.

Old
09-22-2009, 01:21 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Id sign off on that

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
predfan24

Even though this rumor completely contradicts my remarks earlier in this thread I did hear from a good source that we are pursuing Milan Hejduk.

Also, as has been said here multiple times, especially by Worst, the Preds aren't happy with Franson and that he would be a part of the trade. Not saying it's going to happen but interesting nonetheless.

Apparently Laasko, Eaves (before he got injured), and Olvecky have also impressed.

Old
09-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Even though this rumor completely contradicts my remarks earlier in this thread I did hear from a good source that we are pursuing Milan Hejduk.

Also, as has been said here multiple times, especially by Worst, the Preds aren't happy with Franson and that he would be a part of the trade. Not saying it's going to happen but interesting nonetheless.

Apparently Laasko, Eaves (before he got injured), and Olvecky have also impressed.
Hejduk just signed a contract extension with Colorado, so that deal is probably dead. Though, I wouldn't doubt at all that we had interest in him.

Old
09-24-2009, 06:35 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Hejduk just signed a contract extension with Colorado, so that deal is probably dead. Though, I wouldn't doubt at all that we had interest in him.
I saw that. However you do have to keep in mind that also could make him a more attractive player to a GM that just doesn't want a 1 year rental.(Like us)

Old
09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
predfan24

Then again mabye you are right. Perhaps the extension does signal the end to the AVs listening to offers. I was told all this before he signed his extension.