HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Matt Stajan Debate

Old
09-20-2009, 07:35 PM
bobermay

vCash: 500
The Matt Stajan Debate

This really has been going on for Months... and it seems that its still a hot topic.

What is Matt Stajan's Potential??

Personally, I think he can(Not saying he will) be a 60-70 point 2nd line centerman.

He's like an Ian White... He does everything well, and in some areas great... but it doesn't translate to a Great player.

Stajan has good speed, he can skate, he doesn't shy from physicallity, he's delt a lot with the media, he can distribute the puck, he can score... He can really do it all.

Brian Burke has publicly said that he feels that Stajan will improve off of his 55 point season, and he really is a player that I FEEL is underrated by leaf fans.

What are your thoughts?

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
60 point second line centre, who can kill penalties, and is a hard worker. A guy worth keeping, imo.

Bravid Nonahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Stephen

Looks like he's finally grown up, I wouldn't mind keeping him around.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
LTL

He's not being resigned past this season and IMO a deadline deal. Bozak will replace him at some point this season if not by the end of training camp. It's either top six for him or nothing and as it stands we have enough up top to move him.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:53 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
He's not being resigned past this season and IMO a deadline deal. Bozak will replace him at some point this season if not by the end of training camp.
Agreed. I love Stajan (I grew up with him, Boyes, and Colaiacovo), but he's reached the zenith of his potential. If anything, he'll bite down on 60 points a year throughout his prime, but I think we're all hoping for a little more out of a 2nd line-centre who doesn't hit (hard), and doesn't have enough sandpaper to his game to make the rest of his game effective.

I realize he led the forward group in hits last year, but it's a subjective stat, and those who watch Stajan, know that he's not very gritty. If he had half the skill Kadri has, I don't think anyone would be complaining. That being said, he's looked really good in camp and the pre-season, and I hope there's more to his game than he's shown in the past. I'd rather have Mitchell as my 2nd line centre (which I fully believe he's capable of doing), than using Stajan.

Last edited by hockeysense*: 09-20-2009 at 07:58 PM.
hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
alienanton*

can he pass it to kessel then stand back and watch?...

then we'll be ok.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:55 PM
BIG BLUE

He looks stronger and more fit than last year...

look out, he may have arrived

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I hope he is dealt at some time during the year for a solid return in picks/prospects

Like you mentioned, he isnt a "great" overall player, but he is definately a good player. But moving forward with Players like Kessel, Bozak and Kadri, ect. We wont really have room for him as he doesnt fit the true "top 6" Burke mold, therefore I would like to see a great return for him.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Ten

Move him to where? For what?

You're not getting a better player back for Stajan. Keep him. Best centerman on the team right now. Move him when someone proves otherwise.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:04 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Contract Year + Incredible Off-Season Training + Many Roster Options = Best Stajan Year Yet.

Trade him once he is high, or re-sign him to a pay raise... It's a tough choice. I could be wrong, but I do believe he will better his last year.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Sergei Berezin

I was pretty impressed by Stajan last night and if he continues to play like that there's no doubt he can hit 60 points.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

He's a two way second line playmaking center.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
He's the best center on the team and I find it pretty hilarious that people are thinking Bozak will replace him this year, and some are saying he'll replace Stajan right out of the gate. Just goes to show how little people think of a guy who is one of the best defensive players on the team, the best faceoff guy on the team, and who is capable of scoring 60-70 points. Unless he scores 90 points this season people are still going to say he's terrible and belongs in the AHL.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:16 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
He's the best center on the team and I find it pretty hilarious that people are thinking Bozak will replace him this year, and some are saying he'll replace Stajan right out of the gate. Just goes to show how little people think of a guy who is one of the best defensive players on the team, the best faceoff guy on the team, and who is capable of scoring 60-70 points. Unless he scores 90 points this season people are still going to say he's terrible and belongs in the AHL.
Quit the melodramatic whining. Stajan isn't a first-liner. He's arguably not skilled enough for the 2nd line. The thing about Stajan is that he needs other players to make room for him to make a play because he's not gritty, strong, or skilled enough to make room for himself. This means that if anything, Stajan should be playing on the 3rd line.

Personally, I'm okay with Stajan on the 3rd line. On his left and right, he'll be complemented by gritty grinders who can make room for him while adhering to their defensive responsibilities. On the 2nd line, Stajan played with a variety of different wingers throughout the year; he's forced to take charge on the ice when switching to a defense-mode because Hagman, Kulemin, Ponikarovsky (to a lesser extent), Stempniak, and Blake did not, could not provide consistent back-checking from game 1 to game 82 which Stajan did. Stajan just isn't a catalyst kind of player.

He's not skilled, gritty, or strong enough to make room for himself. That makes him a 3rd liner, and a glorified 2nd liner when a team needs him to plug a void.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Stephen

We should keep him past this season, he looks like he's more vocal than ever, in better shape and more creative and assertive. We've waited this long, might as well enjoy his contributions. Down the road he could slot in as the 3rd line center if all goes well.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Last season, Stajan exceded all expectations and scored a solid 55 points, and I think most agree that he overachieved, I just don't see him producing another 10-15 points, on top of what he produced last year.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:19 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonSchenn View Post
Quit the melodramatic whining. Stajan isn't a first-liner. He's arguably not skilled enough for the 2nd line. The thing about Stajan is that he needs other players to make room for him to make a play because he's not gritty, strong, or skilled enough to make room for himself. This means that if anything, Stajan should be playing on the 3rd line.

Personally, I'm okay with Stajan on the 3rd line. On his left and right, he'll be complemented by gritty grinders who can make room for him while adhering to their defensive responsibilities. On the 2nd line, Stajan played with a variety of different wingers throughout the year; he's forced to take charge on the ice when switching to a defense-mode because Hagman, Kulemin, Ponikarovsky (to a lesser extent), Stempniak, and Blake did not, could not provide consistent back-checking from game 1 to game 82 which Stajan did. Stajan just isn't a catalyst kind of player.

He's not skilled, gritty, or strong enough to make room for himself. That makes him a 3rd liner, and a glorified 2nd liner when a team needs him to plug a void.
Good points.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
Last season, Stajan exceded all expectations and scored a solid 55 points, and I think most agree that he overachieved, I just don't see him producing another 10-15 points, on top of what he produced last year.
Neither do I, but I do see him levelling off and consistently scoring 50 points. He's reliable in on the other end of the ice too. That qualifies him as a 2nd line center in my books. If a guy like Nazem Kadri or Tyler Bozak come and knock on the door, Stajan will have a fight on his hands. Until one of those guys win that fight, Stajan is fine as our 2nd line center.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Neither do I, but I do see him levelling off and consistently scoring 50 points. He's reliable in on the other end of the ice too. That qualifies him as a 2nd line center in my books. If a guy like Nazem Kadri or Tyler Bozak come and knock on the door, Stajan will have a fight on his hands. Until one of those guys win that fight, Stajan is fine as our 2nd line center.
I think he's fine as our first line center for the time being TBH, my argument has more to do with 2/3 years down the road when we are contenders.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:21 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
We should keep him past this season, he looks like he's more vocal than ever, in better shape and more creative and assertive. We've waited this long, might as well enjoy his contributions. Down the road he could slot in as the 3rd line center if all goes well.
Looks can be deceiving with such a short sample size so far in the pre-season.

What we do know about Stajan is that he's likely to keep the 1a center position for the majority of the year.

Being his UFA year, it'll be interesting to see what type of Stajan we get and what type of contract he looks to cash in on.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:22 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's not going to happen unfortunately. Stajan will price himself out of Burke's range and either find himself traded or let go via UFA.

I wouldn't give him more than $2M/season. He'll probably ask for what Grabovski's getting - which is $2.9M/season - and Burke will be forced to trade him. I love Stajan as much as the next guy, but he's not a 2nd liner. He's a great 3rd-line centre than can fill a void when we need him to.

Lets not expect too much out of Stajan this year. I think we'll see more consistent two-way play out of our top-six guys and some players' numbers will suffer; Stajan being one of them.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:28 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Peter Zezel. Not so much in style, but a guy who is showing he can score some points, but in order to stick around the league for a while, he will become a really good 3rd line center. I don't care what we think Burke wants in that position, Stajan would be awesome in that role.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Peter Zezel. Not so much in style, but a guy who is showing he can score some points, but in order to stick around the league for a while, he will become a really good 3rd line center. I don't care what we think Burke wants in that position, Stajan would be awesome in that role.
Obviously, since he has far more talent than a typical 3rd line centre.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Obviously, since he has far more talent than a typical 3rd line centre.
Even if that were true, he doesn't have enough sandpaper in his game to augment his short-comings to be a 2nd-line force.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonSchenn View Post
Even if that were true, he doesn't have enough sandpaper in his game to augment his short-comings to be a 2nd-line force.
It is true, very good 2nd line centre = awesome 3rd line centre.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote