HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Globe and Mail: There is a chance that Burke will end up recouping one of those picks

Old
09-20-2009, 11:51 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Globe and Mail: There is a chance that Burke will end up recouping one of those picks

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1295047/

Quote:
Look: Will you all pipe down about the “cost” of acquiring Phil Kessel. Two first-round draft picks and a second-round pick for a 21-year-old winger – plus the cost-certainty provided by a market-comfortable five-year, $27-million (all figures U.S.) contract – is not as dramatic as it sounds considering the way Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke goes about his job.

And as to the concern the Maple Leafs lack a centre to make Kessel effective? What, the Leafs are supposed to avoid adding wingers until they get a centre? Or wait for one to, you know, just sort of suddenly appear?

There is a chance that Burke will end up recouping one of those draft picks in the next two years. How? Burke is not afraid to use the financial clout of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment.

First, Kessel’s addition means he has only 10 players under contract for next season. Vesa Toskala’s $4-million deal is among those that are expiring. Burke has also made clear that he has little problem using the American Hockey League’s Marlies as a way of finagling his way around the NHL’s salary cap. What this means is the Maple Leafs will be in a position to cherry-pick a big contract off a financially strapped team if that team agrees to include a first- or second-round pick. They have the financial wherewithal to cover up mistakes, even with the NHL’s salary cap.

What all this means is the Maple Leafs are acting like a big-market team. ’Bout time.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Interesting. I could see Burke acquiring some of these picks but I dont know about the scenarios though.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:57 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Interesting article to say the least although the chances of Burke re-acquiring another 1st round pick are very slim.

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:03 AM
dubey
~manlets~

I like this writer. I don't know if we'll ever see this happening but I like his opinion on Kessel, I agree with him 100%.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Madic

Deja vu anyone? Didn't we hear this same thing all last season, about using our cap space to grab some draft picks? And hey, we got a 4th which we promptly lost!

No team is stupid enough to give us a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd) unless we're taking a Wade Redden-esque contract, which isn't going to happen. So, basically...hilariously bad (part of the) article. Blind hope isn't the basis for an point, Mr.Author.

That said, Burke could very likely fandangle us a pick or two by draft time, but it very, very likely won't be a first. Certainly not by using this cap space we currently don't have and plenty of other teams have much more than us.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:16 AM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Interesting article to say the least although the chances of Burke re-acquiring another 1st round pick are very slim.
I certainly agree. I also want to point out that the writer, in less than 500 words, managed to cover just about every area regarding the value of the picks this forum has beaten half to death.

Kessel was the 5th overall draft pick in the 2006 draft. This means that the Leafs' 2010 1st round draft pick was used on Kessel - a team with a very good chance of making the playoffs - and we got max value out of that pick. A 21-year old first-line sniper who has shown flashes of dominance was picked with our 15-20 overall pick?! Wow. The other 1st rounder was thrown in because Kessel was "raised" by Boston; if only for three years. The 2nd sweetens the pool.

I consider this trade to be a huge success. Toskala, when acquired in 2007, was a back-up goaltender who had shown very little in the way of "breaking out." He was insulated by a strong defense, and a strong defensive system. Was he worth the 1st round draft pick? No.

Whether we get those 1st round picks back, I don't know. I don't consider it to be a possibility anyway, because if $500,000 was worth a 4th round draft pick from Tampa, I can't see Burke using the AHL or the Leafs' themselves as a fruit-bowl for someone else's bad contract worth more than $1,000,000. Cap-space in today's NHL is a very valuable thing and shouldn't be used to help out another team. I think Burke needs to consider that Bozak, Hanson, Stalberg, Kadri, Schenn, Gustavsson and many other kids will eventually need a substantial pay-raise if they continue their strong showing. Blake's contract comes off the books in two years (if not earlier so that Burke can trade the damn contract to someone else that NEEDS a speedy expensive winger). Finger's contract is also a tough pill to swallow. Kessel, Blake, Finger, and Komisarek are worth (roughly), $17.5M combined.

Burke needs to be careful. Very careful with what he does with our cap-space.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Dark Passenger

In an ideal world, Toskala has a very good year, but Gustavsson proves he is a top goalie in the league, allowing burke to trade Toskala for a 1st rounder at the deadline to a team desparately in need of goaltending.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
roosterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Deja vu anyone? Didn't we hear this same thing all last season, about using our cap space to grab some draft picks? And hey, we got a 4th which we promptly lost!

No team is stupid enough to give us a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd) unless we're taking a Wade Redden-esque contract, which isn't going to happen. So, basically...hilariously bad (part of the) article. Blind hope isn't the basis for an point, Mr.Author.

That said, Burke could very likely fandangle us a pick or two by draft time, but it very, very likely won't be a first. Certainly not by using this cap space we currently don't have and plenty of other teams have much more than us.

Agreed on all fronts.

roosterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:55 AM
leafsfan2

We can probably recoup picks by trading 1 or more of these players

Toskala 4 M No.1 Goaltender Replaced by Gustavsson and McDonald Backup
Ponikarovsky 2.015 M Top 6 Winger Replaced by Hanson/Tlusty
Stajan 1.7 M UFA Two-way Centre (2-3rd Line) Replaced by Bozak
Van Ryn 2.9 M Top 4 D-man Extra Dman
Stempniak 2.5 M TOP 6 Winger Replaced by Stalberg/Tlusty
Exelby 1.3 M Physical D-man Extra D-man
Primeau 1.4 Checking Line Centre Replaced by Deveaux/Wallin
Mayers 1.3 Checking Line Forward Replaced by Rosehill/Deveaux

leafsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:57 AM
roosterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
We can probably recoup picks by trading 1 or more of these players

Toskala 4 M No.1 Goaltender Replaced by Gustavsson
Ponikarovsky 2.015 M Top 6 Winger Replaced by Hanson
Stajan 1.7 M UFA Two-way Centre (2-3rd Line) Replaced by Bozak
Van Ryn 2.9 M Top 4 D-man Extra Dman
Stempniak 2.5 M TOP 6 Winger Replaced by Stalberg
Exelby 1.3 M Physical D-man Extra D-man
Primeau 1.4 Checking Line Centre Replaced by Deveaux
Mayers 1.3 Checking Line Forward Replaced by Rosehill

None of which will get you close to a 1st.

roosterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Evileye

Taking on another teams's bad contract (and burying it in the monors) my not net a 1st rounder straight up.

What is more likely is that the Burke gets a better return on a deal by eating a contract.

ie White is supposedly worth a 2nd round pick, perhaps that could be turned into a 1st if a bad contract comes along with it...

Evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
No, but a package of any of the 4 or 5 guys listed at the top of that list together could recoup a 1st if we take back something.

It's possible, just difficult.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
I am not implying in getting First Round pick from these guys i am only saying we can get draft picks from them and not lose as much as we have replacement waiting in the wings. I think a 2 years ago Tosakla should get us first but thats if he performs as a Top 15 Goaltender which he is capable of.

Old
09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileye View Post
Taking on another teams's bad contract (and burying it in the monors) my not net a 1st rounder straight up.

What is more likely is that the Burke gets a better return on a deal by eating a contract.

ie White is supposedly worth a 2nd round pick, perhaps that could be turned into a 1st if a bad contract comes along with it...
yeah and a couple of 2nds from that group could be turned into a first come draft Day if Burke really like that player in the first round.

Old
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Man Bear Pig

The only scenario where I see us getting a first round pick back is by trading Poni or Toskala, the only 2 tradeable players we have that could net much, while taking back a bad contract as well. We give a good player for a bad contract and a pick. Otherwise, I don't see Burke stepping up the podium in the first round for years.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:17 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares in 09 View Post
The only scenario where I see us getting a first round pick back is by trading Poni or Toskala, the only 2 tradeable players we have that could net much, while taking back a bad contract as well. We give a good player for a bad contract and a pick. Otherwise, I don't see Burke stepping up the podium in the first round for years.
Probably the likely scenario. The other being trading a player and a 2nd or 3rd for a 1st.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Jeff Blair has been excellent for the Globe. Opinionated, without being bombastic, and not afraid to plainly point out the idiocy and absurdity of the sports world.

I've read him equally praise and bash the Leafs, probably one of the most level-headed and honest Toronto sports writers.

/end of plug...?

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
darrylsittler27

Many teams must make the playoffs this year.

Because of the economy,attendance in many cities will be down.Missing out on multi-millions in playoff money will not be an option for some.A package of Toskola,Stajan,White would tempt a team that was close to playoff contention.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:28 PM
punchdrunk

I think the author is saying that Burke will bury other teams bad contracts in the AHL for draft picks. This wouldnt effect Toronto's cap as some people have been saying.

punchdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote