HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Stralman very impressive in Flames camp

Old
09-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Anton Stralman very impressive in Flames camp

Any of you surprised? Hes getting everyones attention alright at the flames camp and id say he has a very very solid chance cracking the lineup as the #6 dman. That would be very impressive considering hes going up against Giordano, Pardy, Pelech and Negrin.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:17 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

If Stralman impresses anyone they have pretty low standards. He has a good shot and can make a good pass but that's about it.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:18 AM
iPunch
#StandWithOttawa

Not surprised. He's looked good in preseason the last three years. We all fell into the trappings. When the men come in and the going gets tough, Stralman gets to the bench.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:18 AM
hockeysense*

Is this a troll thread? That would be like Backlund getting traded to Toronto and myself posting a thread in YOUR forum asking if anyone's surprised that Backlund is about to get the 2nd-line centre spot in our line-up.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
waiver eligible - with our D we would have lost him anyways

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Any of you surprised? Hes getting everyones attention alright at the flames camp and id say he has a very very solid chance cracking the lineup as the #6 dman. That would be very impressive considering hes going up against Giordano, Pardy, Pelech and Negrin.
Well the potential has always been there with Stralman, I wish him all the best but he just didn't fit on this team. In a way dealing him helped us to acquire Kessel(could be seen as good or bad depending on how things work out).

Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:20 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Good for Stralman. I hope he plays well as long as he stays in the Western Conference.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:21 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

They were talking about the issues he had with his asthma in Toronto.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:22 AM
spynes

he will be a good offensive d-man, its just the leafs needed grit and less goals against.

when he was let go it felt a little like Jason Smith again....but considering what we have on D this season, i can take it.

spynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:22 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
If Stralman impresses anyone they have pretty low standards. He has a good shot and can make a good pass but that's about it.
You failed to mention his skating, which arguably is his biggest asset. He is a very very talented player, and will be a good NHLer. Not sure who you were watching while he was here

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:23 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
They were talking about the issues he had with his asthma in Toronto.
What is worse for asthma, Smog or high elevation? Anyway, good for him. I have always been a fan of his, and hope he does well. It just sucks that I hate Calgary so much.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:24 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
You failed to mention his skating, which arguably is his biggest asset. He is a very very talented player, and will be a good NHLer. Not sure who you were watching while he was here
Tripping over the red line has never looked so cool.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

It doesn't surprise me both he, and Pogge have had decent camps with their new teams. This seems to be the trend with some players in Toronto. They can't hack the pressure, and excel in environments where they don't feel it as much.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
hockeysense*

Quote:
His skating is useless when he's just standing around in his own zone. There have been numerous instances of that happening during his call-ups last year. It's frustrating. While I thought highly of Stralman, he did have to go to another environment because it wasn't working out for him here.

I hope he does well, just not against us.

Old
09-21-2009, 12:26 AM
HariKari

Giordano and Stralman play the same style of game. Stralman has the higher upside, but seeing as Gio has lot more games under his belt, I think he gets the spot.

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Stralman is a very good skater? So hes a pretty decent puck moving dman?

Old
09-21-2009, 12:32 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonSchenn View Post
His skating is useless when he's just standing around in his own zone. There have been numerous instances of that happening during his call-ups last year. It's frustrating. While I thought highly of Stralman, he did have to go to another environment because it wasn't working out for him here.

I hope he does well, just not against us.
How can anyones skating be good when your feet aren't moving? I know what your saying and his decision making with the puck was at times questionable. Stralman is an exceptional skater with vry good lateral ability and was the Leafs fastest skater last year. He IMO tried to do too much when he got called up. I wish him the best as well, and expect him to be a good NHL defenceman once he stops trying to do too much and let his natural talents take over.

Old
09-21-2009, 12:34 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
You started this thread didn't you? You don't know anything about him?

Old
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
He hasn't brought it all together yet to be considered puckmoving as opposed to offensive defenceman. He skates the puck very well, he "walks" laterally across the blue line with the puck well, and he has an elite release of his shot (a strong and accurate wrist shot from the point). He's never done anything consistently, but, he's never played consistently, and he is still young.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Leafs Lunch last week was actually discussing Stralman and how well he is playing and was really impressing Flames management staff.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:38 AM
hockeysense*

Quote:
How can anyones skating be good when your feet aren't moving? I know what your saying and his decision making with the puck was at times questionable. Stralman is an exceptional skater with vry good lateral ability and was the Leafs fastest skater last year. He IMO tried to do too much when he got called up. I wish him the best as well, and expect him to be a good NHL defenceman once he stops trying to do too much and let his natural talents take over.
It was his proclivity to stand back and let the play circulate around him that was the problem; he just stood there and half-assedly tied his man up. He plays like a man-to-man defender, rather than a zone defender. He's confused in his own end and rarely, if ever, becomes a proactive player in his own end.

He's got oodles of puck-movement abilities that are tempting, but when I consider the fact that I want my team to be big, strong, and tough in our own end, Stralman's short-comings are too much for me to risk playing him for.

Old
09-21-2009, 12:39 AM
HockeyAustralia

Good for him..I'm happy with the 2nd rounder we got for him

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:42 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonSchenn View Post
It was his proclivity to stand back and let the play circulate around him that was the problem; he just stood there and half-assedly tied his man up. He plays like a man-to-man defender, rather than a zone defender. He's confused in his own end and rarely, if ever, becomes a proactive player in his own end.

He's got oodles of puck-movement abilities that are tempting, but when I consider the fact that I want my team to be big, strong, and tough in our own end, Stralman's short-comings are too much for me to risk playing him for.
One of the things that was overlooked on Stralman last year was his strength. Certainlly not the biggest D, but he had good upper body strength with room to grow. Took a few hits and dished a few, and didn't look any the worse for the wear. To each their own, I personally would have kept him, he has the talent to be a good D.

Old
09-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Stephen

Stralman was probably my favourite Leaf prospect so it's no surprise and obviously discouraging to see him doing well in another uniform. The way he skated and moved the puck reminded me of Fedorov when he played defense. Oh well, the Leafs went in another direction and the scouting department is intact so hopefully we'll have another Stralman gem at some point.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
You started this thread didn't you? You don't know anything about him?
Ya so what? Big deal geez, relax.