HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Anton Stralman very impressive in Flames camp

Old
09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
facey

vCash: 500
moving stralman was burke making a claim as this team as his, with his stlye of d...

he'll be good one day, whether its this year or 3 years who knows... dmen are weird & interesting creatures..

good to hear he is doing good... he looked great in the game today... i've been watching when i can, own him in my keeper league.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:54 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Yes they like him a lot in Calgary. He and Kronwall were paired for his first game and they both really impressed. I think he played about 27 minutes and has been solid defensively so far. A stronger club might be what it takes for him to relax and open his game up.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:36 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Ya so what? Big deal geez, relax.
not surprised one bit. don't listen to these Leaf fans, most of them not dare question a move made by Burke. we were always just giving this guy away...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:30 AM
Aser

He has all the tools to make it as an offensive d, 1st power play guy. It's more the mental aspect that's been holding him back. He has had success at WC's, as a first pairing.

I believe he can get it together in due time. Best way to describe it is the "Grabovsky"scenario, both traded for 2nd rounders. Hope he works out like Grabs did for us.

Aser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Pierre Gotye

Never could full find his wings in Toronto. He always was thought of as a premier prospect for a long time. PM never could find a reason to make him a regular and RW couldn't either, and they both gave him looks.

Good luck to Stralman. I'm looking forward in seeing Jesse Blacker become the prospect on D for Toronto.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

All he needs is to come to a club with a staff that believes in him, and he'll be fine. Could have been an NHL regular two years ago, considering he's more talented than both Toby Enström and Alex Edler. Great pickup for Calgary, and they got to shed some dead weight and salary too in the process (Primeau).

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Delayed Offside

good for him... not sure if he's the type of guy you want in the 6th spot on D but he has a lot of skill... i hope he does well

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I never really felt great about this deal, and I know that Stralman is a phenomenal talent who, if the pieces fell in place, could be one of the better rushing dmen in the league. I guess I'm not surprised by this.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:45 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

It was a win-win deal for the Leafs and Stralman.

He helped land Kessel.

I watched him the other night in person and he really, really looked like Kaberle out there. Seriously made dozens of tape to tape passes exiting the zone. He never opened it up, or tried carrying the puck end to end, but took two-three strides and then hit the man up the boards or directly in front of him when it was clear up the middle.

He rode off a few players trying to go to the net, and jumped right back up when he was crosschecked into the boards.

Didn't look like he tired at all in those 27 minutes.

Could be a high price to pay for Kessel, but you deal from a position of strength and hope it works out. Ex. Pogge and Rask, dealing one for a now goaltender from Boston.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:05 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Stralman is a very good skater? So hes a pretty decent puck moving dman?
I still say he will be better than Kaberle. better skater, better shot, same poise/vision ...he was on Sweden's top PP unit

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
mooseOAK*

The Flames got a hell of a deal, I knew their fans would be impressed by Stralman.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
darty

I hope he makes your lineup. If not, then I'd keep an eye on him heading back to Sweden. He's getting to that NHL or bust point.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
embracedbias

I *gulp"* hope he does well.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:55 AM
BIG BLUE

he looks great skating out making a crisp first pass....working the point on the PP...

but in his own zone I recall him getting knocked off the puck a lot...eventually, Brent Sutter may tire of that...

and we have somewhat of a clone in Gunnarsson...who also put up points with Sweden at the WCs...and is better defensively than Anton, and stronger physically.

so, both teams are fine...Calgary has depth at D...so they won't care if Stralman ultimately doesn't pan out...and we would have lost him on waivers anyway.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:08 AM
TMLeafer

Good for Strally. But he impressed in the short spells he was with the Leafs too. The big thing for him is stretching that over a longer period of time. We'll see, maybe the new setting has made it better for him.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Stralman impressed at our own camp last year too. My opinion on him when he was a Leaf was that he'd never really become a reliable top four guy. He's a great skater, has a good shot, and is also a good passer. His hockeysense is not exactly up there though, in his time with the Leafs he did make quite a few turnovers. I said time and time again in GDTs that he wasn't NHL ready. In his own end he was physically outmatched nearly every single time. Grabovski could push this guy off the puck.

I wish him all the best in Calgary. If he bulks up and gets a little smarter I could see him being a Bret Hedican type of player.

My prediction though is that he ends up in the Swedish league and does well there. He seems to play well with the European rules.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Antropovsky

Think he should have been kept would have preferred to trade white for the second that was reportedly offered...... I have faith in wilson

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
The Iceman

Check back after 25 games and he is a little worn down.

The way he can skate he will always look good in camp....and World Championships!

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
TML DieHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonSchenn View Post
It was his proclivity to stand back and let the play circulate around him that was the problem; he just stood there and half-assedly tied his man up. He plays like a man-to-man defender, rather than a zone defender. He's confused in his own end and rarely, if ever, becomes a proactive player in his own end.

He's got oodles of puck-movement abilities that are tempting, but when I consider the fact that I want my team to be big, strong, and tough in our own end, Stralman's short-comings are too much for me to risk playing him for.
Not even close with your assessment.

He was smart enough to know when to chase and when to protect the front of the net. Great skater and with very good poise - will be better than Kaberle. Toronto's defence should have had a spot for him with the bruising 4 D of Komisarek, Schenn, Exelby, and Beauchemin to go with the smooth skating, puck advancement of Kaberle & Stralman.

We will watch another D blossom somewhere else - like Carlisle. I will cheer on Toronto as always, but will cheer on Stralman for success.

TML DieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
johnny_rudeboy

He is a player in need of positive feedback, ice time and responsibility to get the best out of his game, more so then many other players. If he gets that he will shine if not he will lose confidence in him self and be a burden to his team. I am a big fan of him and wish him all the best.
Will make the Sweden line up for the Olympics I am sure of.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML DieHard View Post
Not even close with your assessment.

He was smart enough to know when to chase and when to protect the front of the net. Great skater and with very good poise - will be better than Kaberle. Toronto's defence should have had a spot for him with the bruising 4 D of Komisarek, Schenn, Exelby, and Beauchemin to go with the smooth skating, puck advancement of Kaberle & Stralman.

We will watch another D blossom somewhere else - like Carlisle. I will cheer on Toronto as always, but will cheer on Stralman for success.
Wow, better than Kaberle and will become a Norris winner.

I see him more as a Nathan Dempsey type. I agree with others who say he'll end up back in Europe.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Sher-Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Check back after 25 games and he is a little worn down.

The way he can skate he will always look good in camp....and World Championships!
I doubt Stralman will wear down much. He logged more ice time than anyone else in the SEL and did so by a margin. Everyone on the side said it will wear him down but he only got better and better. The last Flames pre-season games Stralman logged 27 to 28 minutes but he was used to even more minutes than that night after night in the SEL.

Sher-Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

How many times has he blown in a tire in his own, that too with the puck...only a matter of time...

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:31 PM
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
I still say he will be better than Kaberle. better skater, better shot, same poise/vision ...he was on Sweden's top PP unit
Kaberle has had a pretty solid NHL career so far and it isn't over. I don't think stralman is going to be better at all. If he was he would've stayed and Kaberle would 100% be traded.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:46 PM
rmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Stralman impressed at our own camp last year too.
Actually I remember reading an article that implied Wilson wasn't happy with Stralman last pre-season. I certainly don't remember everyone on these boards saying how great Stralman was doing like what's happening now.

rmp is offline   Reply With Quote