HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Stralman very impressive in Flames camp

Old
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
TML DieHard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Wow, better than Kaberle and will become a Norris winner.

I see him more as a Nathan Dempsey type. I agree with others who say he'll end up back in Europe.
Kaberle has been over weight the last 2 seasons - remains to be seen what he brings this year with the new fitness regime in Toronto.

I didn't say Norris in my comments anywhere..... so don't do that. I believe he will be very good in Calgary and I will lament the fact that we had him and he left (with Stuart??) for Primeau & a 2nd.

Dempsey? at 175 lbs compared to Stralman at over 200 lbs. Okay

TML DieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:58 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Actually I remember reading an article that implied Wilson wasn't happy with Stralman last pre-season. I certainly don't remember everyone on these boards saying how great Stralman was doing like what's happening now.
Stralman had a down year last season but that isn't atypical for 2nd year NHL players as Wilson has said himself. Stralman should be better this year than last given that he is still on an entry level contract.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:06 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 10-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML DieHard View Post
Kaberle has been over weight the last 2 seasons - remains to be seen what he brings this year with the new fitness regime in Toronto.

I didn't say Norris in my comments anywhere..... so don't do that. I believe he will be very good in Calgary and I will lament the fact that we had him and he left (with Stuart??) for Primeau & a 2nd.

Dempsey? at 175 lbs compared to Stralman at over 200 lbs. Okay
Carlisle won the Norris.

My Dempsey reference was to a guy that most were up in arms about never getting a chance, being moved. Seems like the same situation here.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Actually I remember reading an article that implied Wilson wasn't happy with Stralman last pre-season. I certainly don't remember everyone on these boards saying how great Stralman was doing like what's happening now.
Last season during pre-season GDT's, and in regular season GDTs for that matter, most posters were going "ga ga" at Stralman. I was in the minority.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Stralman impressed at our own camp last year too. My opinion on him when he was a Leaf was that he'd never really become a reliable top four guy. He's a great skater, has a good shot, and is also a good passer. His hockeysense is not exactly up there though, in his time with the Leafs he did make quite a few turnovers. I said time and time again in GDTs that he wasn't NHL ready. In his own end he was physically outmatched nearly every single time. Grabovski could push this guy off the puck.

I wish him all the best in Calgary. If he bulks up and gets a little smarter I could see him being a Bret Hedican type of player.

My prediction though is that he ends up in the Swedish league and does well there. He seems to play well with the European rules.
I agree that the hockey sense isn't there, but Kaberle took some time to develop it as well (not to put him in line with Kaberle, but there are similarities). I hated this deal the minute we heard of it, and I still strongly dislike it. Jason Smith was a mistake, as another poster mentioned above, in which I can see a correlation to Stralman. We regretted letting Smith and Sullivan go (yes, there were issues there as there were with Stralman), but it still bites when this sort of thing happens.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Adversary

Good luck to Stralman. Flames fans got a nice prospect who many of us were high on and disapointed to see leave.

We have to swallow the lumps in our throats though, because his timing to make this team was off, and we would have lost him for nothing.

Good for the Flames, I hope he turns out to be a solid NHL'er for you guys.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:06 PM
BlueAndWhite

This is the one move that I really didn't like from Burke (ok, wasn't exactly a fan of the Kubina trade either - and yes I realize that it allowed us to get Komisarek - still didn't think it was Burke's best work). I think Stralman has too much talent and enough hockey sense that he'll stick in the NHL IMO. If he can become just a little bit stronger and better on the defensive end, he has the potential to be a top four defenceman easily.

All the best in Calgary, Anton.

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

He had little to no shot of making the team here in Toronto and we got fair value for him.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
MSP4LYFE*

No surprise, Stralman is an exceptional talent, I said it then, and I will say it again, letting Strals go was a big mistake, it was an especially confusing move as we had never really given him a fair shot.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Last season during pre-season GDT's, and in regular season GDTs for that matter, most posters were going "ga ga" at Stralman. I was in the minority.
And he was never given a fair shot with this team, he was seldom put in a role where he could suceed, he is not a defensive stalwart, never will be, but he is an exeptional puckmover who can QB the pp, and has a good shot to boot. Outside of Kaberle and Beauchemin we don't have anyone with the offensive skill set of a Stralman.

As for HS, I never thought it was an issue with him, in fact I thought he demonstrated good HS at both the international and AHL level, his problem was adapting to the speed of the NHL level, and I believe he could have done so if he were given a legitimate opportunity with this club last season.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Machinae

I'm sure we would have regretted losing him on waivers, too.

Get over it people. He wasn't cracking our lineup, he wasn't clearing waivers, and if somehow he did, he wouldn't stay for a 3rd season on the Marlies.

Unlike Wellwood and Pogge, we got something of value for him.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
I'm sure we would have regretted losing him on waivers, too.

Get over it people. He wasn't cracking our lineup, he wasn't clearing waivers, and if somehow he did, he wouldn't stay for a 3rd season on the Marlies.

Unlike Wellwood and Pogge, we got something of value for him.
Also the Stralman was the 2nd a series of moves which has greatly improved this hockey club, short and long term.

Quote:
1) Kubina for Exelby and Colin Stuart

2) Anton Stralman, Colin Stuart and a 7th round draft pick in 2012 to Calgary in exchange for Wayne Primeau and Calgary 2nd in 2011.

3) Calgary 2nd in 2011 + Toronto 3rd in 2011 for Toronto's 2nd in 2010

4) Toronto's 1st in 2010 + Toronto 2nd in 2010 + Toronto's 2nd in 2010 for Phil Kessel.
So in some small way the Strally move helped us acquire Kessel.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Also the Stralman was the 2nd a series of moves which has greatly improved this hockey club, short and long term.

So in some small way the Strally move helped us acquire Kessel.
Why does Toronto get 2 2nd rounders in one year? Seems a bit unfair

Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Wellwood, Pogge and Stralman all examples of how much better a player does otuside of the TML pressure

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Stralman will continue to demonstrate just how underrated the leafs' youth and system has been the past few years. He's a good player.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanYeWest View Post
Wellwood, Pogge and Stralman all examples of how much better a player does otuside of the TML pressure
Is Pogge doing well in camp?

I should take a trip over and see what they are saying about him. Anaheim, right?

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Stralman will continue to demonstrate just how underrated the leafs' youth and system has been the past few years. He's a good player.
couldn't agree more Zeke... Most of the underrating is done by Toronto's own fans, unfortunately...

I liked Stralman a lot, but the move made sense for both franchises...

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
All he needs is to come to a club with a staff that believes in him, and he'll be fine. Could have been an NHL regular two years ago, considering he's more talented than both Toby Enström and Alex Edler. Great pickup for Calgary, and they got to shed some dead weight and salary too in the process (Primeau).
Well said Riddarn. Dead on.

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote