HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I need some help guys...Is it bad that im so excited for the season and Future?

Old
09-19-2009, 11:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
I need some help guys...Is it bad that im so excited for the season and Future?

Ok.....jokes aside. We are 1-2-1 in the preason..who cares about that anyway (its the PRE-season)..

But we have seen our young players playing very good hockey:

Anisimov - 20 year old Russian center...scoring 2 highlight reel goals, and scoring 4 points in the last 2 preseason games. Dominated the AHL and now is ready for the NHL......

Grachev - 19 year old Russian winger....not dominating, but showing A LOT of skills for a big winger with a lot of speed. Most likely wont make the team out of camp but wow, anyone watching him this preseason can see the offensive potential that he is oozing with.

Gilroy - Wow, thats all i have to say. Just took over the whole NJ game a few days back(which still has NJ fans talking about). Rushing the puck, making good defensive players, scoring a Gaborik type goal, and then being the only player out of about 7(?) in the shootout to score for us. He continues his great play today getting a nice assist and continuing to play very solid defense along with his above average offense. In addition..has played more minutes then any player in the past 2 games he's been in...and doesn't look tired at all.

Lisin - Another young Russian....showing great speed and offensive skill. We all heard "oh he's good at offensive but thats it...dont count on any defense"....but I dont know about you, but he's been hustling his ass back on defense in the preseason trying to help out. Been very impressed....even more happy with that Korpi trade.

Del Zotto - 19 year old future star? Could be. This kid has been great this preseason(2 outta 3 games, played awesome..the 2nd game he was solid). I dont think he makes it past 9 nhl games (to save that eligibility to be a UFA longer) but damn...I am first to admit i thought he was over hyped a bit by Ranger fans..but hes the real deal. He's made a few more rookie mistakes then Gilroy (6 years older)....but he is going to be great for us...I am happily admitting my wrong!

Sangs - Not a Gilroy/DZ showing so far...but every solid in both ends. I thought the big thing against him was defense? Well hes played that VERY well..he's been a very good all around defenseman so far.

Then we still have other young players who should get better..Cally, Dubi, Staal, Girardi..

Seriously guys....I cant see any Ranger fan being more pumped for this season and the future then in a long time...thoughts?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
EvilEmpire94

I feel the same way! This is the most exciting preseason that i have seen.

EvilEmpire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Very well put and I'm just as excited as you.

Aside from the young talent we've witnessed this pre-season, our new acquisitions, the further advancement of our younger players and a new coach with a new style that will provide not only more entertaining hockey, but also allow a whole new style, I think I'm just as stoked for all of this as I am just to watch Ranger hockey.

Really, I've been going through withdrawal. What do I go to sleep to at night? ESPN, hoping something would show up on there that's hockey related since we don't have the NHL network anymore. What do I dream about every night while I'm trying to sleep? Hmm.. a mix of the season opener vs. the Penguins and how bad the Rangers crush them. Or being the star center on the Rangers. Or watching Gaborik score goals. Dreaming Dubinsky being signed. I mean, really, this has been happening every night since late July. There's been countless hours I've wasted opening the laptop and checking this site and the other plethora list of sites I daily check to see some new news. I've watched the same four games we've played twice each on my dvr already. I dread the days the Rangers aren't playing.

While it sounds weird/obsessed, I'm guessing a lot of people have been doing the same. I think this season means a lot more to me now that I've seen these preseason games, seen what we're capable of and what our future can hold if things pan out correctly, and everyone has a decent reason to be psyched about this up coming season, more-so than others, in my opinion.

Last edited by RyanBozak: 09-20-2009 at 05:03 AM.
RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

vCash: 50
You guys have a bright future!

Dialamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:07 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Ok.....jokes aside. We are 1-2-1 in the preason..who cares about that anyway (its the PRE-season)..

Anisimov - 20 year old Russian center...scoring 2 highlight reel goals, and scoring 4 points in the last 2 preseason games. Dominated the AHL and now is ready for the NHL......

Grachev - 19 year old Russian winger....not dominating, but showing A LOT of skills for a big winger with a lot of speed. Most likely wont make the team out of camp but wow, anyone watching him this preseason can see the offensive potential that he is oozing with.

Gilroy - Wow, thats all i have to say. Just took over the whole NJ game a few days back(which still has NJ fans talking about). Rushing the puck, making good defensive players, scoring a Gaborik type goal, and then being the only player out of about 7(?) in the shootout to score for us. He continues his great play today getting a nice assist and continuing to play very solid defense along with his above average offense. In addition..has played more minutes then any player in the past 2 games he's been in...and doesn't look tired at all.

Lisin - Another young Russian....showing great speed and offensive skill. We all heard "oh he's good at offensive but thats it...dont count on any defense"....but I dont know about you, but he's been hustling his ass back on defense in the preseason trying to help out. Been very impressed....even more happy with that Korpi trade.

Del Zotto - 19 year old future star? Could be. This kid has been great this preseason(2 outta 3 games, played awesome..the 2nd game he was solid). I dont think he makes it past 9 nhl games (to save that eligibility to be a UFA longer) but damn...I am first to admit i thought he was over hyped a bit by Ranger fans..but hes the real deal. He's made a few more rookie mistakes then Gilroy (6 years older)....but he is going to be great for us...I am happily admitting my wrong!

Sangs - Not a Gilroy/DZ showing so far...but every solid in both ends. I thought the big thing against him was defense? Well hes played that VERY well..he's been a very good all around defenseman so far.

Then we still have other young players who should get better..Cally, Dubi, Staal, Girardi..

Seriously guys....I cant see any Ranger fan being more pumped for this season and the future then in a long time...thoughts?

we all have every reason to be excited, and I think Sather deserves some credit for not only acquiring these kids in the lower parts of the early rounds, but also for not trading them away for quick fixes.

It still needs to translate into wins at the NHL and playoff levels. There is going to come a point where the Rangers have completely fielded an entirely good NHL team with nothing but draft picks and mid-level players. I have a feeling that aside from Henrik and gaborik, the Rangers will spend the next three or four years completely avoiding the UFA circuit.

Lets also not forget the competitiveness of the EC. These kids are really going to have to step up and learn in a hurry with guys like Malkin, Crosby, OV and Richards -- all of whom arent old to begin with -- dominating the sport

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:10 AM
NYR Viper

The great thing about everything you are saying is that there are another whole group of young players who we havent even seen a lot of yet either because they are in college or are a year or two away from challenging for a spot.

McDonagh
Stepan
Hagelin
Bourque
Werek
Kundratek
Kreider

Thats not a bad group to have following up those players you mentioned above.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:12 AM
tjs252

Gilroy has me very very very excited.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:37 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I completely agree. It's unlike anything I've experienced with any of the sports teams I follow since... boy, I guess since Williams, Jeter, Posada, Pettitte and Rivera all came up with the Yankees within a couple of years of each other.

As Viper pointed out, the even more amazing thing is that the Rangers appear to have yet MORE front-line quality players coming up. (For the record, Viper, I have a feeling you'll be adding Horak to that list sometime soon.) And, not to be a downer, but can you imagine what this would look like if they had all these guys PLUS Cherepanov...? There's no question that Slats has made some quesitonable moves with UFAs (and one RFA ), but that's overshadowed the outstanding job he and his team have done building the organization through the draft, undrafted FAs and trades.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

Thoughts?

Chris Drury, 7 million Dollar cap hit for the next 3 seasons
Wade Redden, 6.5 million dollar cap hit for the next 5 seasons
Michal Rozsival, 5 million dollar cap hit for the next 3 seasons

I have no idea how we are going to keep all that talent.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:54 AM
dank

and we haven't even seen Gaborik!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:35 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Thoughts?

It's fine because aparently sather has blackmail pictures of every other GM in the league, so when it's time for Drury and Redden to go, we'll just trade them for 2nd line scorers and blue-chip prospects

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:54 AM
Osminator

everyone is forgetting Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson in goal! For me he has been the most pleasant surprise, as I did expect great things from Animisimov, MDZ, Gilroy, Lisin etc... but not from him.

He outplayed Valiquette, and let me not even start about Zaba... He'll be in Rangers blue soon!

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Thoughts?

Redden for another 5 season and Rosi for 3????

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Thoughts?

Nor do we know how to play as a talented team with those bums in our lineup. As much as we hope for the kids to shine, how much must we hope that our ******* veterans at least can not suck out there? Like, hold ground at least, for that kind of money?

The kids' progression makes a fan happier, our team "leading" (as in contract size) veterans' decline makes me sad.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-20-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:03 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Thoughts?

By the time many of them are up to be resigned Drury and Rosival's contract will be up, as well as Avery's and Kotalik's.

Redden's?

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Thoughts?

Rosie has real trade value and if the rookies come through, can easily be traded. Once Rosie is gone, we can easily sign the RFAs coming up in the next 1-2 years. Dryry is gone in 3 years, before we have to worry about our guys going UFA.

Redden will be burried in the AHL sooner or later. He sucks now. Imagine how bad he'll be in 2 years when he's in his mid30s. He'll probably belong behind 7 of our defensemen on talent alone, even if salary is ignored. Just look at how many dmen we having coming up on the next couple of years.

In 3 years, all the guys you mentioned (Rosie, Drury and Redden) will be gone from cap considerations.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

For the first time in maybe a decade, I picked up a pen and paper, and started writing out different line combination's.

I haven't been this excited about a season in a long time.

I love the depth we seem to have. Numerous guys that can score.

On top of that, our collection of exceptional defensive prospects seem to be ready to crack our line-up.

Sather has done well thus far. Hopefully he continues on that path, and finds a way to move another big contract hampering our long-term options.

You can see a lot of chemistry already too, with some of the players.

Higgins seems to have fit in nicely with Drury and Callahan. That is a very solid second line. Hardworking, responsible, yet capable of scoring.

I think Anisimov and Lisin are a lock on our third line.

Boyle and Brashear are going to cause havoc. They're big, and cycle really well. They'll score some goals too, which is icing on the cake.

I don't know where guys like Prospal, Kotalik, and Avery are going to play. Even Voros has looked good, aside from his punching bag tantrums.

Even the most pessimistic fan should have a little bit of hope with the way things are looking right now.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:49 AM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
For the first time in maybe a decade, I picked up a pen and paper, and started writing out different line combination's.

I haven't been this excited about a season in a long time.

I love the depth we seem to have. Numerous guys that can score.

On top of that, our collection of exceptional defensive prospects seem to be ready to crack our line-up.

Sather has done well thus far. Hopefully he continues on that path, and finds a way to move another big contract hampering our long-term options.

You can see a lot of chemistry already too, with some of the players.

Higgins seems to have fit in nicely with Drury and Callahan. That is a very solid second line. Hardworking, responsible, yet capable of scoring.

I think Anisimov and Lisin are a lock on our third line.

Boyle and Brashear are going to cause havoc. They're big, and cycle really well. They'll score some goals too, which is icing on the cake.

I don't know where guys like Prospal, Kotalik, and Avery are going to play. Even Voros has looked good, aside from his punching bag tantrums.

Even the most pessimistic fan should have a little bit of hope with the way things are looking right now.

And to think we haven't even seen Gaborik or Dubinsky play with the others yet..

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
And to think we haven't even seen Gaborik or Dubinsky play with the others yet..
This team looks better than last season's, without Gaborik. He's should explode in this system.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 05:28 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the fact that Thomas Pock is no longer our hope to solve the problem as a point man on the power play is reason enough for some level of excitement.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 05:35 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Thoughts?

I dare to say that Drury will be the only one of them playing his full contract with the Rangers.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Blueblood 2

Be most happy that this is still a work in progress. Year one of Torts. Next summer we take the next step. Year two and three with more Torts type players, is when we play games where the Cup is in the house. The new coach is either smart or lucky or both, to have stepped into this job, at this time.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:26 AM
otto1219

somethings gotta give though, we have so many good prospects. Would you trade lets say staal or del zotto if it meant dumping reddens contract as well? With the current salary cap it will be insane to think that we could afford all these players once they hit their FA status. I feel the time is now (the next few years) with lundqvist in net, and unless we dump a huge salary we wont have the team.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:27 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thoughts?

Rozsival will be traded next year. At a 5 mil cap hit, but only two years left at 4 and 3 mil, he will be attractive to a cash-poor team.

Drury could be bought out next year or the year after if we need the cap space and have no other way to get it. I doubt it happens though. More likely he plays out the contract.

My guess is that Redden will be waived or retire at some point before his contract is up. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

A lot will depend on what the cap does over the next 3 years.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 07:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
somethings gotta give though, we have so many good prospects. Would you trade lets say staal or del zotto if it meant dumping reddens contract as well? With the current salary cap it will be insane to think that we could afford all these players once they hit their FA status. I feel the time is now (the next few years) with lundqvist in net, and unless we dump a huge salary we wont have the team.
No. Cap space is important, but, you don't give away your best young talent to create it.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote