HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Season MVP

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Duff88

vCash: 500
Season MVP

In a poll earlier this week on RDS.ca, of the 26000 answers they had to the question "Who is this year MVP for the Montreal Canadiens" 36% of the answers said Mike Ribeiro while 34% said Micheal Ryder. Then there were Souray, Theodore and Koivu (who finished last with less than 8%) who had together only 30% of the votes.

IMO, that show a big lack of knowledge by the overall fans in Montreal. Of course, some will say that it's normal to have a few dumb answers but can you really say that Mike Ribeiro and Micheal Ryder deserve to be that high on the list. I mean, isn't the heart of the team in net and I mean José Théodore? I might be mistaking, but he's the soul of this team even if Garon also looks good when he starts.

Again, it's only a personnal opinion, but I'd also give the notch to Koivu over those two players. Koivu, when in uniform, was always one of the two best forwards in every game of the season except for his first 5 after he came back from injury.

So that would give an order of :

1. Theodore --> 3rd or 4th in the poll
2. Koivu --> 5th in the poll
3. Souray --> 3rd or 4th in the poll
4. Ribeiro --> 1st in the poll
5. Ryder --> 2nd in the poll

Are the fans that dumb or am I overreacting?

Old
03-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
IMO, the MVP of the team is Theo.

Old
03-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Rectificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
In a poll earlier this week on RDS.ca, of the 26000 answers they had to the question "Who is this year MVP for the Montreal Canadiens" 36% of the answers said Mike Ribeiro while 34% said Micheal Ryder. Then there were Souray, Theodore and Koivu (who finished last with less than 8%) who had together only 30% of the votes.

IMO, that show a big lack of knowledge by the overall fans in Montreal. Of course, some will say that it's normal to have a few dumb answers but can you really say that Mike Ribeiro and Micheal Ryder deserve to be that high on the list. I mean, isn't the heart of the team in net and I mean José Théodore? I might be mistaking, but he's the soul of this team even if Garon also looks good when he starts.

Again, it's only a personnal opinion, but I'd also give the notch to Koivu over those two players. Koivu, when in uniform, was always one of the two best forwards in every game of the season except for his first 5 after he came back from injury.

So that would give an order of :

1. Theodore --> 3rd or 4th in the poll
2. Koivu --> 5th in the poll
3. Souray --> 3rd or 4th in the poll
4. Ribeiro --> 1st in the poll
5. Ryder --> 2nd in the poll

Are the fans that dumb or am I overreacting?
I think it's very difficult this year to allow the MVP to one of them... Several guys had a good season and its not an easy pick!

To me your choice are mines in the same exact order but it's just me, I could understand people desagree..

Old
03-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Agalloch

I agree with you here Duff88, Ribeiro and Ryder had phenomenal seasons thus far but I think that Theodore deserves to be the MVP of the year. He played constantly all season. When the team had some problems, he was there to save the other players. Koivu has been a leader all year by his play on the ice, I think he deserves to the considered second.

IMO:
1. Theo
2. Koivu
3. Souray
4. Ribeiro
5. Ryder

Old
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

IMO, Theo is our MVP
I'd say Saku is 2nd and Sheldon 3rd. the big man would have been higher if he hadn't been hurt.

Old
03-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
My MVPs

1. Theo.
Our team starts from the net out. No Theo = no playoffs.
2. Koivu
Usually solid D comes before scoring, but Koivu brings so much more than that to the table. Leads by example, and I can count the number of bad nights he's had all season on one hand.
3. Souray
Most solid blueliner, which in turn helps Theo.
4. Can't choose between Ryder and Ribeiro. Different players who end up bringing the same value to the table. I combine them to make Rydeiro!

Old
03-22-2004, 05:33 PM
EaGLE1

Those answer were not that stupid...

Old
03-22-2004, 05:37 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I think that we could say that we have a team season. We can't really say that a player in particular carry the team on his shoulders. For these reasons, Habs should be the MVP this year (even if a team is composed of many players).

Old
03-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD
I think that we could say that we have a team season. We can't really say that a player in particular carry the team on his shoulders. For these reasons, Habs should be the MVP this year (even if a team is composed of many players).
How can theodore win the MVP for the entire league if he doesnt win for his own team? 32 wins now. 3 more at 35 should be good. theyll give it to sundin though.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:51 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

This is hard this year! This is how I'd put it:

1. Theo
2. Saku
3. Ryder
4. Souray
5. Ribeiro

Theo goes without saying. He was one of the people who had to step up the most from last year, and he has done it. Saku has been the captain all year, and despite being 3rd in scoring (due to games played), has lit the fire under everyone's a$$. Ryder has brought production, work ethic, and excitement to the team. These shouldn't be understated. Souray would have been in Norris running, so he get's the next nod. Ribeiro gets 5th, as he is leading in points, but that's all the credit he gets from me. I actually think you could argue for any of the middle 3 to change spots. Again, nice that it's a hard choice this year.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
This is hard this year! This is how I'd put it:

1. Theo
2. Saku
3. Ryder
4. Souray
5. Ribeiro

Ribeiro gets 5th, as he is leading in points, but that's all the credit he gets from me.
No credit to Ribeiro???? You should have voted for Bullis.

Old
03-22-2004, 08:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
No credit? He's fifth on a list of great players. You should learn how to spell Bulis... then you could try to draw the box, and I'd check it. I think I'm safe, though.

Old
03-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Tricolore#20

1. Theodore (need I say more?)
2. Ribeiro (contributed to Ryder's emergence, and has brought along Dagenais)
3. Koivu: When Souray went down, he elevated his game, and we are now on an outstanding streak because of his play.
4. Ryder (always shows up, game in game out)
5. Souray (Was a pillar during the first half. Would be higher if he was healthy)

As I write this I find it difficult to assign one player's performance over the other. In all honestly, everyone has been good this year, and thats always a good thing.

Old
03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
My vote would have to go to Ryder. This kid always plays hard. It seems like when we need a big goal scored he scores it. He has been dynamite down the stretch.

Other consideration go to Theo, Koivu and Souray.

Old
03-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe

Wow I am shocked, Bulis has nothing to do with this and for some reason you feel the need to take a shot at him. Troll.

Old
03-22-2004, 11:11 PM
SuperUnknown

This just shows how much the RDS bias towards Ribeiro did wear off on the RDS listeners.

Ribeiro is a good 2nd string player, but to say he's the MVP is laughable.

Old
03-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
This just shows how much the RDS bias towards Ribeiro did wear off on the RDS listeners.

Ribeiro is a good 2nd string player, but to say he's the MVP is laughable.
whats our record since Begin joined the team?

Old
03-22-2004, 11:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

1. Koivu
2. Theo
3. Souray
4. Ribs
5. Ryder
6. Markov
7. Begin

Old
03-23-2004, 05:38 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
whats our record since Begin joined the team?
40-26-7-3... we've had him all season (except for the injury time... over 20 games I believe). Crunching the numbers (quickly and "under the influence") leads me to believe that we are 26-19-4-2 with him in the lineup. More or less.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:01 AM
JV

The Habs sucked until Koivu came back. It's a toss up between Koivu and Theodore. Ribeiro's third.

There are two guys this team can't do without: Koivu and Theodore.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:16 AM
Prrebel

Mine would go like this;

Theo
Ryder
Koivu
Ribero
Souray

Why Ryder so high? Cause he pulls his linemates along with him... and he has been doing that all season. No matter what line or linemates you put with him, he scores. Would Ribero or Koivu score on a line with Dowd and Bulis, with Perrault and Audette?

Old
03-23-2004, 06:36 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
The Habs sucked until Koivu came back. It's a toss up between Koivu and Theodore. Ribeiro's third.

There are two guys this team can't do without: Koivu and Theodore.
As a follow up: With Saku we're 33-19-7-3. Obviously with Theodore we're 32-24-5. No way I'm awake enough to figure out the record with both Saku and Theodore. I imagine it's Max Power awesome.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
No credit? He's fifth on a list of great players. You should learn how to spell Bulis... then you could try to draw the box, and I'd check it. I think I'm safe, though.
Sorry 417 to Montreal but it is s7ark who told me to get the spelling right!

Old
04-06-2004, 09:13 AM
All-Star

Guys! It's not a good time to divide the fans along Ribs vs everyone else lines. We're starting the playoffs tomorrow night! We all have to be united behind the team! There will be enough time to hash this out this summer.

If you really want to pick on some fans' hockey knowledge, then make the evil Bruins fans your target.

Yeah, I really am that superstitious.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Canadienne

My vote goes to Michael Ryder. He has been this team's most consistent and dependable forward this season. He always works hard. When we needed a big goal, he either got it or helped to get it. When switched from line-to-line, he never complained. He just went out and worked that much harder. He makes his teammates better and he makes this team better. He isn't a defensive liability, he's modest and respectful and he's shown tons of heart, determination, perserverance, tenacity and spirit. Theo is a fine goalie but he's been very inconsistent. Ryder has been Mr. Consistency. Whatever the coach has asked of him, he's done and done well. Media-darling Ribeiro may get all the attention but I think that Ryder is more deserving of team MVP this year!

GO HABS GO

Closed Thread