HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Post: Mortgaging the future, by Brian Burke

Old
09-21-2009, 01:06 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
National Post: Mortgaging the future, by Brian Burke

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ian-burke.aspx

Quote:
I do not know Phil Kessel. But I know who he is. He is The New Saviour, the Great Blue and White Hope, the sniper with rocket-boosters in his skates and a 36-goal season already under his belt and, gasp, the guy who will lead the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Promised Land. Or, more likely: not.

Because Kessel is something else: he is the change in plans. He is Leafs general manager Brian Burke’s dream house, the one with a white picket fence, hardwood floors, granite counter tops, walk-in closets, a pool in the backyard and a sauna and pool table in the basement.

He is the bells and whistles Burke just had to have, and he mortgaged the Maple Leafs future to get it. Two first round and a second round draft pick. Gone, for a player bought at the height of his market value after a blazing season. Did we mention Kessel is nursing a surgically repaired shoulder and will not play until mid-November?

Interestingly, or perhaps — ironically — the Kessel deal was struck almost exactly one year after MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum said these very words.

“If you asked us if you would pay for a Stanley Cup this year, but you would be lousy for the next five years, would you do it? Then the answer from the ownership point of view is, absolutely not,” the chairman said. “We want to see a consistently strong winning team over the long term. If it takes us two or three years to rebuild this team then let that happen, to know that it is going to be a strong contending team 10, 15, 20 years after.”

Last year, then, was Year One. Toronto missed the playoffs, again, but the team offered Leafs Nation some glimpses of a brighter future featuring a blue line anchored by Luke Schenn. Burke drafted Nazem Kadri, a speedster with soft hands and a survivor, so far, at training camp. He went shopping for some tough guys and for Mike Komisarek and Francois Beauchemin, a couple of hard-as-nails to play against defenders.

This is called rebuilding. Some potentially solid bricks were being laid. Slow and steady it went.

But no more. Burke had to have the new mansion, with the busted shoulder, and he gave away two first and a second round draft pick to get him. Kessel has some baggage, too, if you believe the word around Boston.

Me? I don’t know Phil Kessel. But I know who he is. He is the end of the rebuilding era in Toronto.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:08 PM
grabo84

This is why I refuse to read the national post.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Useless article written by the fat kid from Stand By Me!

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:13 PM
dubplatepressure

LOL.

National Who?!

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

I didn't read past the first line. A leaf hater spewing some garbage.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
TRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
LOL.

Joe O'Who?!

Fixed

TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Leafidelity
40/30 grit grinder

vCash: 1775
Quote:
I do not know Phil Kessel.
And thats where I stopped reading.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
napoleon in rags
How does it feel?

What a preachy, overblown piece. Phil Kessel as suburban home: talk about strained metaphors! I think the roof caved in and the foundation cracked.

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Lexicon

vCash: 50
He has a point. It seems lately anyone who criticizes the Leafs is a "Leaf Hater".

Honestly, I'll have to wait to see the results of this deal. If we end up bottom 10 in the league 2 years straight, this is not a good deal.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

I didn't even read the article after I saw the title.

Correct title should read: Mortgaging the future for the future, by Brian Burke

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
facey

ahahah how is a 21 year old anything but the future?

the writer gives the impression that he thinks 36 goals will be a career high for kessel.

its also unfair to say that we stopped the rebuild 1 year in. We have Tlusty, Schenn & Kadri @ 13th, 5th & 7th... thats at least 3 years of build.

add in Bozak, Hanson, & the monster and we have 6 players with top end potential that we acquired through 'tanking'.

we never did get a #1 overall.... but with the addition of kessel, we did get a player who was considered for #1, and went #4.... so hows that for top end drafting? we have 1 true top liner (kessel) and 6 with potential to reach that point.

#4,5,7,&13 -> thats a lot of potential.

we have an incredibly good looking d-core.. and who knows what going on in net, but even if it sucks, we could make the playoffs... btw i don't think the monster is going to suck... i think he's going to be very very good...LOL

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
mooseOAK*

Mortgaging the future has never been applied to obtaining a 21 year old player on a 5 year deal before.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
He has a point. It seems lately anyone who criticizes the Leafs is a "Leaf Hater".
Not me, I'm up for fair debate.

However, when I see comments like "the new saviour", "the sniper with rockets on his skates" I see blatant sarcasm, akin to what chronic leaf haters like to use.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:26 PM
HariKari

he speaks as if Phil is an overpaid vet on his last legs. He's 21, but apparently has no future? It's funny no one spoke of Phil's baggage until he bacame a Maple Leaf, how did the media feel about him 2 months ago?

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
leafs123

this guy is not a toronto writer, plus i would rather read the sun than the post when it comes to sports

leafs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:30 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
he speaks as if Phil is an overpaid vet on his last legs. He's 21, but apparently has no future? It's funny no one spoke of Phil's baggage until he bacame a Maple Leaf, how did the media feel about him 2 months ago?
The Leafs didn't have the resources to get a player like Kessel.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
EazyB97

Poorly written article. Ignores Kessel's age, ignores the fact he's locked up long term and uses Burke not following MLSE as an example of how things are being poorly run. He wanted a tank, Burke did not. We traded 2 questionable future pieces (that could be better than Kessel, could be worse) for a young player we have the option of keeping for at least 5 years. He has 1 valid point, this team is not doing a full-scale rebuild. After that, it's a preachy piece on what he wanted, which is somewhat fair, but some of his claims are off.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:33 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
ya all of a sudden every bruins fan says he was lousiest player in the room ..lol
we gave up a 1sst and second round really ....kessel is our first pick next year ...boston did ok .i just cant see the leafs not being better with the d men they have .i mean 5 more wins last year and they make the playoffs .

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Mortgaging the future? Did we just trade all our picks for the next 5 years for some 40 year old has-been? No we practically used a 1st and a 2nd to go from drafting an 18-year old, middle of the pack, 50-50 player in June to drafting a 21 year old Phil Kessel who will be ready by mid-november. If it costs a 2nd and a 3rd to move from 7th to 5th, I'd say thats a fair bargain.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Suntouchable13

Is it better to just sit and wait for your team to be lousy and finish low in the standings? Or is it better to be pro-active and make moves that improve your team right away? I think it's the latter. Obviously, it depends on how you are pro-active. I think that Brian was pro-active in the right way.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:47 PM
facey

to pay nothing but draft picks for a player like phil kessel is almost un-heard of.

we can look at it this way (weird slant here we go):

w/o kessel we likely finish ~15-18th

so we traded a 16th pick + 46th + our 2011 1st, which IMO is going to be ~18th

if we were to compress that all into 1 year: 16th+18th+46th for 4th

however we know the 4th overall is very good; and the 18th is in what is projecting to be a very poor year.

i'm pumped, and any leaf fan that is not, needs to reconsider what just happened. We have a player that could finish in the top 10 in goals, who is young, who we have for 5 more years...

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:49 PM
robdicks

hes sorta right.. hes got a weird way of saying it, but what hes trying to say is phil doesnt lead you to the cup. Phil could lead you to the playoffs, but not to the cup. The leafs have never had a true rebuild, and now probably wont. In a few years we are going to be exactly what we were in the late 90s and early 00s... good enough to win a couple rounds, but never going into the year as a cup favourite. If we get some hot goaltending, and some favourable refereeing, or a few lucky bounces in some game 7s, we COULD win a cup. we wont be a favourite tho

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:52 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
to pay nothing but draft picks for a player like phil kessel is almost un-heard of.

we can look at it this way (weird slant here we go):

w/o kessel we likely finish ~15-18th

so we traded a 16th pick + 46th + our 2011 1st, which IMO is going to be ~18th

if we were to compress that all into 1 year: 16th+18th+46th for 4th

however we know the 4th overall is very good; and the 18th is in what is projecting to be a very poor year.

i'm pumped, and any leaf fan that is not, needs to reconsider what just happened. We have a player that could finish in the top 10 in goals, who is young, who we have for 5 more years...
kessel is a good player and im excited to see him score, but im never going to mistake him for someone who will lead us to a cup

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:55 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
hes sorta right.. hes got a weird way of saying it, but what hes trying to say is phil doesnt lead you to the cup. Phil could lead you to the playoffs, but not to the cup. The leafs have never had a true rebuild, and now probably wont. In a few years we are going to be exactly what we were in the late 90s and early 00s... good enough to win a couple rounds, but never going into the year as a cup favourite. If we get some hot goaltending, and some favourable refereeing, or a few lucky bounces in some game 7s, we COULD win a cup. we wont be a favourite tho
That's a huge assumption though. You're projecting the next 5-10 years all on 1 acquisition. It also implies that we would've gotten a player able to lead us to the cup by avoiding this trade, which isn't likely. Saying this team will max out at a few rounds is a safe prediction (few teams win cups, 1/30 each year), but it doesn't account for the other side. It's a bit foolish to pass this judgement and blame it on the acquisition of Kessel, especially when you don't know who we'll draft, who we'll sign, who we'll trade, why we'll do, what will be available and other situations of this nature. Kessel isn't signed to a franchise player's contract, we didn't give-up a franchise player return. So why assume that Kessel, and only Phil Kessel, will be our focal point and the one the Leafs count on going forward?

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
kessel is a good player and im excited to see him score, but im never going to mistake him for someone who will lead us to a cup
And the probability that those 3 players will lead us to the promised land is much better, right?

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote