HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JFJ Given High Praise.

Old
09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
JFJ Given High Praise.

Burke tips hat to former Leafs GM for drafting Stalberg, Gunnarsson

Quote:
Brian Burke has received a lot of praise for some of the moves he has made since joining the Maple Leafs as general manager last November -- most notably for his signing of free agents Tyler Bozak and Jonas Gustavsson, and now the trade for young centre Phil Kessel.

But there are two young players still at the Leafs camp, forward Viktor Stalberg and defenceman Carl Gunnarsson, who were not Burke signings and who have stepped up to the point where one or both could surprisingly make the team this season.

Burke, to his credit, has been quick to point out that he had little to do with either player joining the organization.

In fact, when he is questioned about the play of the two young Swedes, he makes a point of it to let everyone know the pair were drafted by former Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr., who virtually was run out of town last year.

"Fergie is a good man," Burke said yesterday. "And since he got thumped for everything he did wrong, I'm determined to see he gets praise for the stuff he did right."
One thing I really like about Burke, is how he gives credit, where it's due. Fergie, for all his faults in Toronto, still has a positive legacy with some of his draft selections. Stalberg, Gunnerson, Didomenico, and James Reimer are all quickly flying up our prospect rankings.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:45 PM
embracedbias

He also gave credit to Morrisson for those picks, IIRC.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:45 PM
TasteLikeBurning
The Tank Cometh

The negatives far out weigh the positives for JFJ. But nice move on Burke's part to give him praise.

TasteLikeBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:46 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Burke tips hat to former Leafs GM for drafting Stalberg, Gunnarsson

One thing I really like about Burke, is how he gives credit, where it's due. Fergie, for all his faults in Toronto, still has a positive legacy with some of his draft selections. Stalberg, Gunnerson, Didomenico, and James Reimer are all quickly flying up our prospect rankings.
Has he given any praise to Fletch for signing Finger?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Ha, none that I know of. But, he did keep him on. But I figure that's more of a pr thing, than anything.

Old
09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
He also gave credit to Morrisson for those picks, IIRC.
By far, the best move JFJ made was hiring Dave Morrison. His staffs work in the late rounds has been nothing short of spectacular.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

No one questioned his drafting..perhaps Tlusty, which I didn't like but whatever...but he did nothing good or positive otherwise..people think the Kaberle contract was great..yeah that's also the contract that pervented us from getting Carter+1st. JFJ u @#$#$er

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteLikeBurning View Post
The negatives far out weigh the positives for JFJ. But nice move on Burke's part to give him praise.
What if we get a future top 4 D man in Gunnerson, and a couple top six forwards in Stalberg, and Didomenico? I mean, he deserved to be fired, and I'm glad the change was made. But I think people were harder on this guy than he deserved.

Old
09-21-2009, 02:53 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggemon Destiny View Post
No one questioned his drafting..perhaps Tlusty, which I didn't like but whatever...but he did nothing good or positive otherwise..people think the Kaberle contract was great..yeah that's also the contract that pervented us from getting Carter+1st. JFJ u @#$#$er
Ever think that keeping the cap hit low was dependent on giving him that limited ntc?

Old
09-21-2009, 02:54 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Not to my knowledge, but I do recall a comment made by Burke regarding the signing of Frogren, then the relinquishing of a pick because of it. It's comments like that from Burke, that I respect and hold him in high regard. Speaking of giving credit where credit is due, Fletch did do a great job in the Grabovski trade and the Hagman signing.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
What if we get a future top 4 D man in Gunnerson, and a couple top six forwards in Stalberg, and Didomenico? I mean, he deserved to be fired, and I'm glad the change was made. But I think people were harder on this guy than he deserved.
He failed miserably with the goalie situation. He spent too much on offensive defenceman, and only had 1 defensive defenceman (Gill). Too much money on offensive defenceman left him powerless with his forward core. A laid back GM needs an opposite coach, but he brought in Maurice, who took everything personally.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
facey

honestly, thats a positive signs of the organization's drafting

IMO the draft is not won in the 1st or 2nd round; its won in 5-7. If you get roster players there, huge +, however if you get impact players there, the world is your oyster.

drafting the like of nash and Jbo is not exactly a sign of spectacular drafting... however in that same draft we got White really late (as well a bust steen, and IMO great pick stajan)... not a bad draft really... and it shows that 1st round draft picks really are not sure things... i don't know many people that would still argue that steen>stajan...

stalberg is looking for good, and gunnarsson is just solid, dunno what else we would want from him, he looks very composed and stronger then i expected.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:57 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
No, Fletch fouled that one up, not JFJ. Kulemin looks to be a good pick as well, and I think D Mitchell,and Dido eventually find themselves as bottom 6 players in the NHL eventually. Holzer and Flaake could impress as well, and whatever happened with Rugesegger?

Old
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
robdicks

meh General Managers get too much credit when drafting well, and too much blame when drafting isnt done well. they have the final decision, but i read in THN i think that on average a GM will go to about 5 junior games every year, usually to look at a player who is projected in their area of the first round. stalberg, gunnerson, and even kulemin cant really be credited to JFJ, just his scouting staff really

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

All the Credit Goes Too

Tommie Bergman if jfj would have listened we would have had Brunstrom also.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
No, Fletch fouled that one up, not JFJ. Kulemin looks to be a good pick as well, and I think D Mitchell,and Dido eventually find themselves as bottom 6 players in the NHL eventually. Holzer and Flaake could impress as well, and whatever happened with Rugesegger?
How did Fletch foul that up? Kaberle didn't want to go to Philly. JFJ is the one that gave him a NTC. It's really not that hard to figure it out.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Ever think that keeping the cap hit low was dependent on giving him that limited ntc?
JFJ sucks.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
leafs123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
ya, brunnstrom has really lit it up in the nhl

leafs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:08 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteLikeBurning View Post
Agreed.

It's classy to not slam your predecessor. I'm sure behind closed doors Burkey has an entirely different view especially with all of the moves he's been able to accomplish in such a short time frame.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
JFJ sucks.
Ok buddy.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
How did Fletch foul that up? Kaberle didn't want to go to Philly. JFJ is the one that gave him a NTC. It's really not that hard to figure it out.
Fletch began negotiations with Philly in a trade to send Kaberle there. He got all the work done, but couldn't convince Kaberle to trade his NTC as well as the rest of the players with NTC. It was his responsibility to make changes to the team, he couldn't do it. He failed. And looked moronic in the process. Kind of like how a GM tries to convince players to play for his team like Bozak, Hanson Gustavsson etc.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
JFJ sucks.
Alot of thought put into that response. You do realise Burke complimented JFJ on a few occasions on the Kaberle contract?

Old
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Agreed.

It's classy to not slam your predecessor. I'm sure behind closed doors Burkey has an entirely different view especially with all of the moves he's been able to accomplish in such a short time frame.
JFJ doesn't have the brass ones he needs to do this job, especially in this city. It's showing early what being a brash, take no prisoners type like Burke does for an organization like the Leafs.

JFJ is a decent support role guy, but he's definitely no leader.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:12 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
I think that with Stralman, Stalberg, and Gunnarsson there is a pretty good body of evidnce showing that Ferguson wasn't in the habit of ignoring him.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
meh General Managers get too much credit when drafting well, and too much blame when drafting isnt done well. they have the final decision, but i read in THN i think that on average a GM will go to about 5 junior games every year, usually to look at a player who is projected in their area of the first round. stalberg, gunnerson, and even kulemin cant really be credited to JFJ, just his scouting staff really
It's like owning a business/company. As owner, you hire the people you want to make decisions, then they do the same. In the end, the owner is the one ultimately responsible for everything and they pay the price if it is doing poorly, but they also gain if the business/company is doing well.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote