HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1st line center?

Old
09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
richardn

vCash: 500
1st line center?

Now that we have traded away our 1st rounders for the next two years. This team needs to address one glaring weekness and that is a capable 1st line center. We have a lot of centers in Stajan, Grabovsky, Bozak, Mitchel, Primeau and Kadri. Kadri is probably the future 1st line center and Bozak likely the future 2nd line center. But we need someone now who can fill that roll and help ensure we arent trading away a top 5 pick for a couple of years.

I have been trying to think of some players we can get through trade and the names that stand out for me is Daniel Briere on Philly and Jordan Staal in Pittsburgh. Both of these guys are going to be buried on their teams depth charts. I think Briere would be a great center to play with Kessel in my oppinion and the perfect age to allow Kadri to develop and flow into the top 6 with little pressure.

Who else do you guys think we could go after?

I got the feeling Burke is not done now for sure with the loss of those picks he will want to make that pick as high as possible to make him self look like a genius.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
stoney

Briere is poised for a breakout year, he isn't low on the depth chart.

Jordan Staal...I don't think they will let him go.

Marc Savard and Olle Jokinen could make it to UFA next year.

I think the "pressing" need is a trial by fire for the goaltending. We can score goals, but they need goaltending for any hope of playoffs.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
pagetheaj

Patience is the name of the game.

pagetheaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
weems

I think he'll prolly wait till next offseason and make a play for one of Marc Savard, Olli Jokinen or Patrick Marleau.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Hurt

Blargh. I'd love J. Staal but Penguins won't give him up unless it's absolute highway robbery.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
SprDaVE

I really think Savard is the goal for next year. Perhaps the Bruins will lock him up, but I don't like their chances. I have been wrong before though.

Why not? There's proven chemistry between him and Kessel.

I am just a bit worried of the money Savard will be asking, but should be worth it.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

"HOLY ****! GUYS! I'M ONLY A YEAR OR TWO OFF! CALM DOWN!"

Old
09-21-2009, 03:21 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetheaj View Post
Patience is the name of the game.
Patience is some thing we can't afford now with the loss of two those 1st rounders we can't afford to allow them to turn into top 5 picks.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:23 PM
BIG BLUE

patience.

you don't blow your brains out just because you got Phil Kessel.

we have some good centres...we'll be fine...

let's see how they perform...

if we were a Cup contender then looking for an established elite centre might make sense...but now, let the young guys play...

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:24 PM
pagetheaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
Patience is some thing we can't afford now with the loss of two those 1st rounders we can't afford to allow them to turn into top 5 picks.
No, patience as in wait for him to possibly sign a top of the line center via UFA or for Kadri to develop.

pagetheaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
BIG BLUE

The best GMs don't panic...the best franchises develop youth...and add a veteran when they are poised to make a run at the cup....or providence smiles and one you like lands in your lap cheap...you keep some cap space and watch....at some point an opportunity pops up...maybe next summer UFA, maybe the summer after.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:32 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetheaj View Post
No, patience as in wait for him to possibly sign a top of the line center via UFA or for Kadri to develop.
So what about this season?

Do you honestly believe Burke is not going to go for it now with no 1st round pick in the next two drafts?

The last thing Burke wants is that pick to be a top 5 pick. This team will not be a contender without another front line player in their top 6.

Waiting on UFA's who might re-sign or sign some where else is risky and not Burke's style.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
So what about this season?

Do you honestly believe Burke is not going to go for it now with no 1st round pick in the next two drafts?

The last thing Burke wants is that pick to be a top 5 pick. This team will not be a contender without another front line player in their top 6.

Waiting on UFA's who might re-sign or sign some where else is risky and not Burke's style.
I would have thought the last thing on Burke's mind is a draft pick the Boston owns. He's trying to build a winner, and he will not worry about those picks any longer, although people around here will worry about it for years.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
patience.
Grasshopper.

I think even Wayne Primeau might be the number one center this season, if all other men are injured. That there, would be funny.

But yeah hopefully Kadri and Bozak are those top men, in the future. I think getting Savard and keeping Jason Allison right now would be some cool choices. Stay away from Olli Jokinen. He would crumble unda presha in Toronto.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
BIG BLUE

so you want Staal or Briere...

Daniel Brière, who signed for eight years and $52 million in 2007

oh yeah, we want to take on one of the worst contracts...
Holmgren couldn't get anyone to take Briere off his hands last year.

what on earth do you think Pitt would want for Staal???

1st round picks probably...or Schenn...or Kadri....

Stajan and White aint gonna get you a 1st line centre...

most elite centres will cost you 1st round picks and your young prospects...

so you want to weaken your club just to get a 1st line centre, who will score, what, 15 more points than whoever ends up with the #1 minutes this year?

all in a year when we aren't a cup contender...

this lineup will probably have that pick at 12-18 anyway, so that's what Boston will get.

Old
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post

I think he will be a winger for the Leafs, instead of a centre (who knows, Kadri could prove us wrong to a very large extent).

I think Burke has plans for addressing the #1 centre position, and a long term at that. Jonathan Toews may be ?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I would love to see us grab Savard as a free agent

Bruin Fans: lol nice trade for kessel lets see how he does without Savard!

Leafs: How about no

Bruin fans: D= OH NOES

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
I think he will be a winger for the Leafs, instead of a centre (who knows, Kadri could prove us wrong to a very large extent).

I think Burke has plans for addressing the #1 centre position, and a long term at that. Jonathan Toews may be ?
There is no way the Blackhawks don't re-sign Toews... no matter how much they have to overpay for him.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:

In our wettest dreams maybe. Toews is Chicago's #1 and captain. I'll be shocked if they don't lock him up for a long long time.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:09 PM
weems

Quote:

I disagree. His skills are his skating and creativity with the puck and him playing at center allows him more space to do things with those two assets then if he was on the wing. Add in the fact hes a rather smallish player and center certainly looks like a more favorable position for his skillset then on wing.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Mr Scarface*

Lookin and listening to Kadri's character and personality, I really really think he will be one of those players who crumbles unda presha and plays like **** when those big, important games begin. So uh, maybe some otha bastardo should be steppin in. Toronto Maple Leafs should always have a star center. Like Sundin, Gilmour or Vincent. Something like that.

Almost everyone of these smaller centers, who play the game with skill etc, they don't have that defensive mentality for the playoffs, y'all know what I'm talkin bout... doing those special thangs... wrestling with people and grappin grain.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Lookin and listening to Kadri's character and personality, I really really think he will be one of those players who crumbles unda presha and plays like **** when those big, important games begin. So uh, maybe some otha bastardo should be steppin in. Toronto Maple Leafs should always have a star center. Like Sundin, Gilmour or Vincent. Something like that.

Almost everyone of these smaller centers, who play the game with skill etc, they don't have that defensive mentality for the playoffs, y'all know what I'm talkin bout... doing those special thangs... wrestling with people and grappin grain.
Or, if you actually watched a hockey game or read a scouting report, the thing he is most PRAISED for is being able to perform under high pressure situations.

Of course, you wouldn't know that - you spend 6 hours a day reading urban dictionary to get your fake hood slang down correctly.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

I am sure Briere is available but he has way too much contract. Without the Kessel deal perhaps, but not now. THAT would be mortgaging the future I think. He has a NT as well.
Staal may be a budding number one center or he may not be. People keep saying what a kickass 3rd line center he is but he logs a ton of minutes and gets ice time with their big guns on the PP. He is not a guarantee to be a hidden gem, nor is he all that cheap anymore. One gamble with the club's future at a time I think.
I believe the Kessel deal kind of screws them for getting a center before the summer, and quite honestly I would like to see what they have for a half a season before any more outside acquisitions. If they could deal vets for prospects maybe, but the return on that stuff is more likely to be there in March rather than now.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
stoney

Steve Rucchin Centered Kariya and Selanne. It's all about chemistry. Personally I can see Stajan meshing well with Kessel. He is a smart player, and will have no problem dishing to him all the time.

We will see.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 05:46 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post

Exactly! Just stay patient, and wait for him to show up next season. Bozak, Grabovsky, and Stajan can hold the fort until then.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote