April 6th Boston Herald and Boston Globe articles

B's O'Connell builds winner

Bruins' plus-minus in view

Old
04-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Bruin_Ron

vCash: 500
Thanks Kristy!

The more I read about people "questioning" Rayzor's abilities come playoff time the better I think he'll do. I'm beginning to think that he'll surprise everyone

Old
04-06-2004, 10:50 AM
misterjaggers

Powerplay woes continue

Surprisingly, there's been no improvement in the Bruins powerplay since the trade deadline acquisitions of Gonchar and Nylander:
"In the 15 games both played as Bruins, the team was actually less successful with the man advantage than it had been throughout the season. Boston finished 17th of 30 teams with a 16.0 percent success rate. Even worse, the Bruins gave up 13 shorthanded goals. Only four clubs surrendered more. In the final 15 outings, they converted on only 15.5 percent of their opportunities."
-Nancy Marapese-Burrell, Globe
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...minus_in_view/

Old
04-06-2004, 01:51 PM
MAINE-IAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Surprisingly, there's been no improvement in the Bruins powerplay since the trade deadline acquisitions of Gonchar and Nylander:
"In the 15 games both played as Bruins, the team was actually less successful with the man advantage than it had been throughout the season. Boston finished 17th of 30 teams with a 16.0 percent success rate. Even worse, the Bruins gave up 13 shorthanded goals. Only four clubs surrendered more. In the final 15 outings, they converted on only 15.5 percent of their opportunities."
I think not being able to capitalize on the powerplay will be the team's doom sooner or later in the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Stock Rocks

I'd be a little more concerned if the B's were poor at ES, but since they aren't, this isn't something that is all that worrisome.

We all know that refs tend to put the whistles away more in the playoffs, so the key will be for the B's to keep playing well at even strength, and they should be ok.

Old
04-06-2004, 02:11 PM
SToMper!

Also hoping that Sully has been messing with lines during games to get an idea of what will be the best scenario going into the playoffs. Then some chemistry will be able to finalize and hopefully #s will improve.

Old
04-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Bruin_Ron

There's absolutely no reason why our PP shouldn't be successful at a rate of at least 20%. In fact, I think it should be running close to 25%.

Think about.. not one, but TWO deadly PP units, the leading quarterback in the game in Gonchar, and at least two Lalime-disturbers to screen/deflect/shrink the box in Green and Lapointe.

Old
04-06-2004, 04:44 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Good topic, and an important one with the team heading into the playoffs. IMO, the Bruins PP has performed better with Nylander and Gonchar, but (as the stats say) their better performance hasn't equaled better production.

I'd like to see more of Lapointe on the PP... I always thought that the line of

Sammy Bergeron Lapointe

have performed well all season long when paired on the second PP unit...which has become a rarity since the return of Sammy and Bergeron from the injured list.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
According to the latest Hockey News, the Devils won the Cup last year despite having the worst power play in the league. While it would be nice to see the B's knock in 3 PPG per game, there are many things that can go right or wrong besides this one aspect of their game. Let's see what happens tomorrow night and go from there. I have a good feeling this year. Bruins over the Canadiens in 6.

Old
04-06-2004, 09:18 PM
neelynugs

the PK is more important than the PP...and our PK has been very very solid. lately, i've been thinking we should decline the PP b/c we've sucked miserably. but with the weapons we have out there, i'm sure a few PP goals will come our way.

Old
04-07-2004, 03:00 AM
rockon83

Hey guys...

can someone post who the bruins usually put out for the 2 PP and 2 PK lines ...

thanks...

Closed Thread