HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
LyNX27

vCash: 500
In response to the McD comments earlier, i feel that his problem is not so much of his lack of IQ, but just the fact that his play isn't spectacular or eye opening, but he gets everything done steadily, and with out much flash.

He has shown that he can get it done on both sides but I think when people say he lacks skill, I think its that he just lacks anything that makes his game stand out..

Thats why I think his potential in the NHL is a 2-4 D-man, Kinda like how Redden has played recently could be his ceiling.

Old
10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Saw the third period and to me Kreider looked like the best player for BC, maybe Steven Whitney was better, but Kreider looked like the best player on the ice for them...which is totally not saying Kreider looked good for those who missed the game.

Old
10-18-2009, 06:32 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Saw exactly what I expected to see from Kreider (who unfortunately didn't see much ice in the 3rd due to all the BC penalties). Speed is as advertised. Has a great release and made some crafty little passes in the offensive zone and on the PP (set up some very nice plays on the PP especially). Knows how to use his speed down low and on the walls to created chances - also wasn't afraid to throw his weight around either.

He is still fairly raw, could be stronger on the puck, and needs to get used to his linemates/not try to do it all himself. Most Freshmen come in and look lost for their first few games, chasing the puck around and trying to get rid of it like a hot potato. Kreider looked like he belonged, was relatively poised and for the most part drove the offense when his unit was on the ice.

As far as the BC team goes - forwards overall looked good (not great), defense (especially on the PP) was iffy. Kreider likely could have picked up a few assists or a rebound goal if BC was getting any point shots through at all.

10-18-2009, 07:37 PM
2Leetch_94
Kreid me a river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
does cablevision have espnu?
Nope. Don't know why since they have all the other ESPN's. Still waiting for ESPNews HD, too.

Old
10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Saw exactly what I expected to see from Kreider (who unfortunately didn't see much ice in the 3rd due to all the BC penalties). Speed is as advertised. Has a great release and made some crafty little passes in the offensive zone and on the PP (set up some very nice plays on the PP especially). Knows how to use his speed down low and on the walls to created chances - also wasn't afraid to throw his weight around either.

He is still fairly raw, could be stronger on the puck, and needs to get used to his linemates/not try to do it all himself. Most Freshmen come in and look lost for their first few games, chasing the puck around and trying to get rid of it like a hot potato. Kreider looked like he belonged, was relatively poised and for the most part drove the offense when his unit was on the ice.

As far as the BC team goes - forwards overall looked good (not great), defense (especially on the PP) was iffy. Kreider likely could have picked up a few assists or a rebound goal if BC was getting any point shots through at all.
Noticed that a lot also just from the 2nd period. He loves to rush the puck in and try to go to the net..unfortunately, that's pretty much never going to work at the higher level and he turned it over on the PP trying it.

He looks like Gomez carrying the puck into the zone.

He was very raw like everyone stated, he's going to need a couple years in the NCAA before he's ready to turn pro. I'm curious to see how fast he can adjust though to the NCAA level.

Old
10-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Saw Daniel Maggio today against Brampton...

Finally healthy and playing with confidence, the former 7th overall Priority selection is off to a great start this season. He's Sudbury's number one defenseman and played a large majority of the game. He was incredibly physical and punished the Battalion forwards all night. On one occasion in particular, A Brampton forward (I believe Thomas Stajan) tried to get by him, failed and Maggio rode him right into the boards, erasing him from the play. He was very impressive defensively today. Offensively, he was just as equally impressive. He runs the powerplay very well and seems to have a really hard point shot. He could stand to do a better job of getting it through to the net, but that's minor nitpicking. He also showed a lot of confidence in bringing the puck up the ice. With great size, he's fairly mobile too (although no one will confuse him for Scott Niedermayer either). A really solid game from Maggio and it looks like he's progressed well this year. He finished the game with an assist.

Looks like a solid late round gamble at this point.

Old
10-18-2009, 10:41 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Saw Daniel Maggio today against Brampton...

Finally healthy and playing with confidence, the former 7th overall Priority selection is off to a great start this season. He's Sudbury's number one defenseman and played a large majority of the game. He was incredibly physical and punished the Battalion forwards all night. On one occasion in particular, A Brampton forward (I believe Thomas Stajan) tried to get by him, failed and Maggio rode him right into the boards, erasing him from the play. He was very impressive defensively today. Offensively, he was just as equally impressive. He runs the powerplay very well and seems to have a really hard point shot. He could stand to do a better job of getting it through to the net, but that's minor nitpicking. He also showed a lot of confidence in bringing the puck up the ice. With great size, he's fairly mobile too (although no one will confuse him for Scott Niedermayer either). A really solid game from Maggio and it looks like he's progressed well this year. He finished the game with an assist.

Looks like a solid late round gamble at this point.
He seems to be picking up on the offense this year Brock. The Rangers the last couple seasons have been taking chances of oft-injured D that other teams are leery on--Mitch Gaulton being another one. Anyway hopefully it works out for one of them.

Old
10-18-2009, 10:46 PM
eco's bones

Kreider can certainly skate--and he's a big guy. I liked his shot release as well. There didn't seem to be a lot of chemistry with BC's lines.

Keeping in mind Vermont is an excellent team that went to the final four and that they've returned their starting goalie and all top 6 d-men and several key forwards and they've already played a couple games I don't know how hard we should critique BC's performance in this one. They seem to have a few kinks to work out.

Old
10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

BC comes to play my school on sunday november 1st, i'm definitely gonna make my way over there to watch Kreider play.

Old
10-19-2009, 12:50 AM
theranfordflop

Hi there! Has there been any official word as to whether or not Del Zotto is being kept up with the big club?

Old
10-19-2009, 07:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Hi there! Has there been any official word as to whether or not Del Zotto is being kept up with the big club?
One of the other threads references a Larry Brooks story stating that management told MDZ to find an apartment, indicating he's here to stay.

Old
10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The main post has been updated. All of our college prospects now have at least one game played this season.

Miika Wiikman is back with the Wolf Pack, so he has been removed from the ECHL list since he didn't play a regular season game for them. The AHL's website also lists Ryan Hillier on the Pack's roster, so we'll monitor how that goes.

In other news, does anyone know what happened to Tysen Dowzak? I can't find him on any rosters at any level.

Old
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Because I love you guys, I updated the tables in the main post so that the players' names will link you to their stat page, either on their league's site or on HockeyDB.

Old
10-19-2009, 12:21 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
In other news, does anyone know what happened to Tysen Dowzak? I can't find him on any rosters at any level.
According to the Checkers website, he was recalled by Hartford on 10/16:

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/...?article_id=30

Quote:
In recent transactions, defenseman Tysen Dowzak was recalled by the American Hockey League’s Hartford Wolfpack

Old
10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
According to the Checkers website, he was recalled by Hartford on 10/16:

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/...?article_id=30
That's strange, because three days later and he's not on Hartford's roster. And yet Hillier, who was JUST recalled, is listed.

Old
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He seems to be picking up on the offense this year Brock. The Rangers the last couple seasons have been taking chances of oft-injured D that other teams are leery on--Mitch Gaulton being another one. Anyway hopefully it works out for one of them.
We've always been a team to take injured guys (which is why I'm surprised they didn't go after Budish in the 2nd).

Remember MA Cliche?

Sather always likes to gamble with highly regarded injured players.

Old
10-19-2009, 01:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
So in case anyone missed it in the AHL thread, Leslie reports that Dowzak has been loaned to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs of the Central Hockey League. Apparently a mudbug is a crayfish.

Old
10-19-2009, 02:32 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Just finished to watch BC vs Vermont. Despite the poor performance of the team, I liked what I've seen from Kreider. There's a lot to work on, the chemistry with his teammates, his positioning in the O zone sometimes hesitant, but he was far from being ridiculous, and far from being lost on the ice. He needs to work a bit on his physical play, even though he's not shy from contacts. Gotta love when you see him carrying the puck in the neutral and entering the zone, I love his speed. I thought I read he was more comfortable on the left wing, but he passed the whole game switching to the right side. Am I missing something? Anyway, he was one, if not the best player on the ice for BC yesterday.

Old
10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Notes:Gilmour lists Werek's hip-pointer as a "day-to-day thing" although he expects him in the lineup on Wednesday.
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2135841

Old
10-19-2009, 05:41 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Good to hear!

Old
10-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quick blog entry about the Rangers' NCAA prospects at http://HFRangersblog.com

Old
10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Ethan Werek will definitely be in the game tonight. Don Cherry will be at the game celebrating the Canadian military, and was told the uniforms that the Fronts will be wearing will be somewhat outrageous. Not sure what that means, but for those who want to find out, you can watch the live stream of the game and ceremony on the OHL live stream. The Kingston stream, which is Cogeco, is better than some of the Rogers streams in terms of resolution, so it may be worth your time. Plus Werek will definitely be on the ice.

Old
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Here's to a successful return for Werek.

Old
10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Ethan Werek will definitely be in the game tonight. Don Cherry will be at the game celebrating the Canadian military, and was told the uniforms that the Fronts will be wearing will be somewhat outrageous. Not sure what that means, but for those who want to find out, you can watch the live stream of the game and ceremony on the OHL live stream. The Kingston stream, which is Cogeco, is better than some of the Rogers streams in terms of resolution, so it may be worth your time. Plus Werek will definitely be on the ice.
Leslie, caught the game tonight. Some brief thoughts on Werek...

I thought he was the best player for the Fronts tonight. Just returning from a deep bruise injury on his leg/hip region, Werek did look a little sluggish at times and I think it's obvious he's still in some pain. The good news was that it didn't really effect his play. He created a lot of scoring chances tonight, especially in close. Thought he tied it up late in the 3rd after one timing a nice shot five hole in the slot, but the goal was disallowed (either because the puck never crossed the line or because the whistle was blown before it did). A few shifts earlier, his missed an easy goal on a 2 on 1 chance, but he was on his off wing and couldn't handle the one time pass that kind of hopped over his stick. I still think this guy should have been a first rounder in 2009. He earned an assist on Moon's third period goal.

Old
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
We've always been a team to take injured guys (which is why I'm surprised they didn't go after Budish in the 2nd).

Remember MA Cliche?

Sather always likes to gamble with highly regarded injured players.
Sauer was in this boat too. Risk reward makes a lot of sense once you are past the first round.

Closed Thread