HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
doesnt Orts fall into that category as well?
He played the season before the lockout. So if Leslie started covering the team in 05' he was rigthfuly left off.

Garth Murray had a short stint.

Old
10-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yeah, but didnt tyutin play before the lockout too? and were counting him...

Old
10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Oswego was kind of a blah looking campus when I used to visit it, but the girls were absolutely banging (the only reason I went was because I dated 3 different girls who went to SUNY Oswego about 5 years ago or so).
huh ?

the campus is quite nice really. i mean, what other campus can you name that sits right on the shore line of a great lake ? and i mean right on the shore line. lake ontario looks like the ocean when its really blowin. its awesome to see.

spectacular sunsets and a sweet view from most any dorm window on new campus.

now, having said that, when its mid january and the wind chill is 30 below with the wind howling at 25 mph and it snows 2 feet a day for 3 straight days........ well then, its not so hot.

makes doin the bridge street run not so pleasant.

but i agree, the chicks were/are smokin. i met my beautiful wife there....

Old
10-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh ?

the campus is quite nice really. i mean, what other campus can you name that sits right on the shore line of a great lake ? and i mean right on the shore line. lake ontario looks like the ocean when its really blowin. its awesome to see.

spectacular sunsets and a sweet view from most any dorm window on new campus.

now, having said that, when its mid january and the wind chill is 30 below with the wind howling at 25 mph and it snows 2 feet a day for 3 straight days........ well then, its not so hot.

makes doin the bridge street run not so pleasant.

but i agree, the chicks were/are smokin. i met my beautiful wife there....
The campus looked like any other to me (the buildings were actually quite mediocre). The SCENIC views and **** were gorgeous, though. If it didn't have that, it would just be any other whatever state school to me.

But the area, I agree, is gorgeous.

Old
10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
The campus looked like any other to me (the buildings were actually quite mediocre). The SCENIC views and **** were gorgeous, though. If it didn't have that, it would just be any other whatever state school to me.

yeah all the state schools all have the same red brick building, esp. the dorms. they all look like a prison to me.

my son is a junior at suny potsdam. another blah looking campus but he insists the views inside the buildings are nicer.

Old
10-27-2009, 09:21 PM
easton1099

A few questions to anyone who has seen Stepan play consistently, I didn't realize how highly regarded he was. It is nice to see there is prospect depth past the defense.

What are his strengths/weaknesses?
What type of player is he? (I've seen him labeled as a playmaker)
Does he project to stay at center as a pro, or move to wing?
Has he made any acknowledgment of when he will turn pro? Will he need seasoning in Hartford or might he be able to make the jump right away?
Is it realistic to think he would be ready to step in when Drury's contract is up?
Does he compare to any current NHL player?
Top end potential/production?

A future center combination of Dubinsky, Anisimov, Boyle, Stepan, and Werek looks pretty nice. Anyone who could answer these questions about Werek as well would be appreciated. Thanks for the information.

Old
10-27-2009, 09:56 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:

I like Oswegos campus, but its mostly the scenery that is the reason why. For beautiful campuses, as I said before, Hamilton College (Was married there ) is tops for me, followed very closely by Colgate. The age and history of the campuses are very evident, and the campuses are just so historic and beautiful. For towns, Saratoga and Skaneateles are tops on my list, just gorgeous places. Its a shame that many downstaters dont ever travel up here to see the beauty of the fall. Upstate Ny is where I grew up, and absolutely holds my heart for soo many reasons, especially the adirondacks region.

Old
10-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton1099 View Post
A few questions to anyone who has seen Stepan play consistently, I didn't realize how highly regarded he was. It is nice to see there is prospect depth past the defense.

What are his strengths/weaknesses?
What type of player is he? (I've seen him labeled as a playmaker)
Does he project to stay at center as a pro, or move to wing?
Has he made any acknowledgment of when he will turn pro? Will he need seasoning in Hartford or might he be able to make the jump right away?
Is it realistic to think he would be ready to step in when Drury's contract is up?
Does he compare to any current NHL player?
Top end potential/production?
Strengths: Lots of them. Vision, hockey IQ, creativity, two-way game, and is an excellent skater. He also has the hands and passing ability to be an excellent center.

Weaknesses: Strength is a small concern, but he's young and should fill out nicely. He's also not a great shooter and is typically a pass-first player.

Definitely a playmaking center at this point and projects to stay as such with the Rangers.

I haven't seen any mention of his intended timeline, but I think he'll spend a year in Hartford regardless. Whether or not he steps in for Drury depends on his progression.

I liken his game a little to a Patrice Bergeron or Brad Richards.

His ceiling is a 1st line center. I'm not sure he'll be a 90+ point guy, but depending on who his linemates are I think 70-80 points with solid play in his own end is within his grasp. Still, he continues to get better and better, so I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

Old
10-27-2009, 11:46 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

One super random question on Stepan. How is his name pronounced?

Is it STEPan or StepAN?

I have wondered this for a long time....

Old
10-27-2009, 11:55 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutus Liber View Post
I like Oswegos campus, but its mostly the scenery that is the reason why. For beautiful campuses, as I said before, Hamilton College (Was married there ) is tops for me, followed very closely by Colgate. The age and history of the campuses are very evident, and the campuses are just so historic and beautiful. For towns, Saratoga and Skaneateles are tops on my list, just gorgeous places. Its a shame that many downstaters dont ever travel up here to see the beauty of the fall. Upstate Ny is where I grew up, and absolutely holds my heart for soo many reasons, especially the adirondacks region.
I visited Skidmore a few years ago and I thought the area was beautiful, Saratoga was a very nice town. The only other schools I looked at in upstate NY were Ithaca and Cornell and I thought that area was really gross though.

Old
10-28-2009, 12:12 AM
easton1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Strengths: Lots of them. Vision, hockey IQ, creativity, two-way game, and is an excellent skater. He also has the hands and passing ability to be an excellent center.

Weaknesses: Strength is a small concern, but he's young and should fill out nicely. He's also not a great shooter and is typically a pass-first player.

Definitely a playmaking center at this point and projects to stay as such with the Rangers.

I haven't seen any mention of his intended timeline, but I think he'll spend a year in Hartford regardless. Whether or not he steps in for Drury depends on his progression.

His ceiling is a 1st line center. I'm not sure he'll be a 90+ point guy, but depending on who his linemates are I think 70-80 points with solid play in his own end is within his grasp. Still, he continues to get better and better, so I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.
Wow that is pretty exciting, thanks for your input.

Old
10-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Fun Fact; it appears Daniel Maggio is off to a good offensive start in the OHL. He has tallied 5 goals already in 14 games which totals his previous season high, in 64 games.

Old
10-28-2009, 06:57 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
I go to Syracuse and the campus is pretty gorgeous in the summer and fall (when it's not raining--well I don't know if that ever happens).

Too bad as a Grad student I never get to actually see any of the campus besides my little cubicle office.

Now my undergrad, James Madison University, now that is a beautiful school. Scenery, buildings, girls (70% of the student body, which tops out at approx. 19,000) JMU was awesome.

Old
10-28-2009, 07:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
One super random question on Stepan. How is his name pronounced?

Is it STEPan or StepAN?

I have wondered this for a long time....
I've always hear it pronounced the first way... Like "steppin".

Old
10-28-2009, 09:01 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Much like most of my board mates, I'm going off of limited highlights and scouting reports, but I've been following those very closely. There are a couple of posters who have actually seen him live or on full broadcasts multiple times - hopefully they'll chime in.

Quote:

Comletely agreed, Trxjw. He is the prototypical playmaking center with tons of speed to boot. Cuts against the grain very well, can blow by other players and can stickhandle with the best of them. His passing is phenomenal - he's one of those guys who can be on the goal line to the left of the cage and thread a pass through two defenders to a shooter in the right circle. Needs to get stronger to survive in front of the net and in the corners, but then again that's not really his game. I would say his shot is good, but not great.

As to timeline, I've read speculation from the various sources that cover Wisco that he'll turn pro after this year, next year (his junior year) at the very latest. Either way, I would expect to see him with the big club in 2011-2012.

As for Werek, the comparison a lot of us see is Adam Graves. I doubt we'll ever see him be the Gravey of '93-'94, but the rest of Adam's career is very achievable if he reaches his potential.

Old
10-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've always hear it pronounced the first way... Like "steppin".
That's the way I generally hear it pronounced, too. I've also heard "Step-AHN" from others, but the Wisconsin announcer usually says "STEP-in" so I'll trust him.

Old
10-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Levitate

I thought some of the reports from the US juniors camp was that he didn't look all that fast?

Old
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I added to the links on the first post a link to a HockeyDB search plug-in for Firefox: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-eng...?name=hockeydb

Installing it will place an option to search HDB straight from your search bar while using Firefox. It's nice instead of having to go to HockeyDB manually each time you want to look up a player. It's also safe--I've been using it for years.

The site also has plug-ins for NHL.com, the NHLPA, Eurohockey, Hockey-Reference.com, and TSN. Handy stuff for lazy people such as myself.

Old
10-28-2009, 09:43 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Much like most of my board mates, I'm going off of limited highlights and scouting reports, but I've been following those very closely. There are a couple of posters who have actually seen him live or on full broadcasts multiple times - hopefully they'll chime in.

Comletely agreed, Trxjw. He is the prototypical playmaking center with tons of speed to boot. Cuts against the grain very well, can blow by other players and can stickhandle with the best of them. His passing is phenomenal - he's one of those guys who can be on the goal line to the left of the cage and thread a pass through two defenders to a shooter in the right circle. Needs to get stronger to survive in front of the net and in the corners, but then again that's not really his game. I would say his shot is good, but not great.

As to timeline, I've read speculation from the various sources that cover Wisco that he'll turn pro after this year, next year (his junior year) at the very latest. Either way, I would expect to see him with the big club in 2011-2012.

As for Werek, the comparison a lot of us see is Adam Graves. I doubt we'll ever see him be the Gravey of '93-'94, but the rest of Adam's career is very achievable if he reaches his potential.

any links?

If it were up to me, I would let him play one more season in college (10-11), then one season in the AHL (11-12), than bring him up on the big club when the contracts of Drury, Avery, and Kotalik all expire before the 12-13 season. by then Dubi will have 5 years of NHL experience, and Anisimov would have 3 years of experience so at least our center corps would have some decent experience to help guide him.

It just seems to fit nicely that way. So it probably won't happen.

Old
10-28-2009, 09:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
any links?

If it were up to me, I would let him play one more season in college (10-11), then one season in the AHL (11-12), than bring him up on the big club when the contracts of Drury, Avery, and Kotalik all expire before the 12-13 season. by then Dubi will have 5 years of NHL experience, and Anisimov would have 3 years of experience so at least our center corps would have some decent experience to help guide him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff
"There is, however, a very good chance that Stepan will only play two to three years of collegiate hockey."

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ysis_fall2009/

I know I've seen in mentioned other places as well.

Old
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Fun Fact; it appears Daniel Maggio is off to a good offensive start in the OHL. He has tallied 5 goals already in 14 games which totals his previous season high, in 64 games.
Is he related to the baseball player, who dips his donuts in coffe, shown in Seinfeld?

Old
10-28-2009, 10:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Is he related to the baseball player, who dips his donuts in coffe, shown in Seinfeld?
Joe DiMaggio? I doubt it.

Old
10-28-2009, 11:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

I see Werek, similar to Graves, ending up on LW.

Old
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post

I think that's the probable timeline, but if he continues to progress as rapidly this season as he did during the 2nd half of his Freshman year, I think he'll make the jump to the AHL next year.

I'm typically pretty reserved when it comes to prospects, but I'm definitely really excited about this kid.

Old
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I think that's the probable timeline, but if he continues to progress as rapidly this season as he did during the 2nd half of his Freshman year, I think he'll make the jump to the AHL next year.

I'm typically pretty reserved when it comes to prospects, but I'm definitely really excited about this kid.
I'm actually more excited about him than Grachev, and haven't been this excited for a prospect of ours since Lundy.

I just state this should be the timeline for him though b/c of logistics. I mean seriously, where are we going to put him. In two years barring any MAJOR trades we should have a forward corps of

1. Gabby
2. Dubi
3. ani
4. Grachev
5. Avery
6. Drury
7. Kotalik
8. Lisin
9. Cally

all should be under contract, and really I still can see Prospal still here as well. That could be up to 4 centers (Prospal, Dubi, Ani, Drury). But Drury can (and should) move to wing, and who knows about Prospal. And this is without any FA signings.

We aren't going to move Gabby, Ani, Grachev, Dubi and Cally b/c these are our core players. Lisin could actually fit in this category as well.

Nobody is going to take Avery b/c its Avery. Nobody is going to take Drury b/c of his contract.

That would leave Kotalik as probably the only player that could be moved to make room for him.

Again this is barring any major injuries or trades. But this is also w/o signing any FA's.

Not too mention in three years time Werek should have 1 year of AHL experience as well and could battle for the big club. Not to mention hagelin, weise, bourque, and whatever other draft surprises we may have.

Wow do we have some depth. In three years time we could have a lineup of 4 scoring lines... lol. I dream but what a conundrum (in a good way) we might face.

Closed Thread