HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2009-2010 Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2009, 10:54 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

vCash: 500
I am still not sold on Kreider, but I will be more than happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Old
12-19-2009, 11:11 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
It seems to me like he logged a solid amount of minutes which he seemed to lack playing with Boston.
This is key. Even if his overall minutes weren't up much (would need to see stats on this) the role he was put in and the quality of his linemates cannot be overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
I needed to watch a game like this from Kreider. It was great and I'm very excited.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
I am still not sold on Kreider, but I will be more than happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.
Have you ever seen him? Or is this just based on Jessiman/prep school fears? No offense.

12-19-2009, 11:21 PM
LyNX27

One thing you can't take away from the guy... He's very fast. Regardless of skill or ability or how it translates the guy can skate and that's an important foundation for any other skills he might have and develop.

Old
12-19-2009, 11:29 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
This is key. Even if his overall minutes weren't up much (would need to see stats on this) the role he was put in and the quality of his linemates cannot be overlooked.

Agreed.

Have you ever seen him? Or is this just based on Jessiman/prep school fears? No offense.
It's mainly based on his rawness and the fact that this organization doesn't exactly have a great track record of developing such prospects effectively. A more developed player would be more difficult to ruin.

Old
12-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
It's mainly based on his rawness and the fact that this organization doesn't exactly have a great track record of developing such prospects effectively. A more developed player would be more difficult to ruin.
when don maloney was selecting, maybe.

In Gordie Clark I trust.

Old
12-20-2009, 12:29 AM
FLYLine24*

Awesome, awesome and more awesome news about Kreiders performance tonight.

Going to watch the replay tomorrow on NHLN but he's making QUITE the case to make him (he might ((Likely not though))have been a bubble player at the start?) After tonight's game i'm pretty sure there is no way he would get cut.

This could be the PERFECT thing for him to get him going more....have a great 'tryout'....get named to the team, and then have a great tournament to get himself a ton of confidence for the second half of the NCAA season.

Still wish they had let Grachev go, he could use some confidence around now...he's pretty much been in a huge slump since the news broke the Rangers weren't letting him go.

Old
12-20-2009, 03:11 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I was at the USA @ Sioux game tonight. Kreider had 2 goals. His first goal was the result of nasty hand-eye coordination. Sick deflection from the slot. I have to say his speed, and acceleration, are as advertised. I left the game very impressed with him. Also, I noticed that he's not afraid to get his nose dirty.

He was named the #1 star of the night.

Stepan was also impressive. He had two assists.

Kreider, Stepan and Schroeder were all on the PP unit together numerous times. Stepan also saw full-time PK duty. Cleary they (the US staff) think highly of his two-way play.

Here's some pics of Stepan and Kreider. I completely forgot to bring my cam so my blackberry curve camera had to do..

(Stepan and Kreider during the anthem).

(one second before Kreider's tip in goal).

(Kreider with Moore).

Kreider could've had a hat trick. His phenomenal speed led to a breakaway and he burned Eidsness but he hit the crossbar...He was very noticeable out there.

Kreider has all the tools to be special. When you have speed, work ethic and hands like that it's hard to not pan out. The one thing he needs to improve is his vision with the puck and his hands on the stick. I think he could be even faster (scary to think about) if he didn't always have two hands on the stick.

Last edited by BrodeursCups: 12-20-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old
12-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just finished watching the game...its like 5:30 am and im half asleep so im going to give you my impressions on Kreider since I've already given my thoughts on Stepan before.

Kreider is fast. I mean really fast. He looked to me to be the fastest guy on the ice, with a powerful stride, not quick and choppy, just powerful. The thing that is absolutely frightening though is his acceleration. This guy has Gaborik like acceleration. He's at his top speed in 1-2 strides, and remember, his top speed is frikkin fast. there were a few times where he just blew by the defender with that acceleration looking for a breakaway pass that never came...the one time that he got the puck on a play like that, he clanged one off the iron. his acceleration causes separation big time. The thing he might want to do though is actually slow down a bit and use that acceleration to his advantage. a lot of the time out there hes flying around at top speed so that the other guys are skating at top speed too to stay with him, what makes Gaborik so hard to contain is his difference in speed, he goes slow, and then WHAM, hes at warp 9.975 and hes by you before you knew what hit you. Kreider has that kind of speed and acceleration, and i think when he learns to pick his spots on when to slow down to lull the defense into a false sense of security only to turn on the afterburners and leave them in the dust, he will be something special.

What's also impressive about this kid, as the previous poster mentioned, is that hes pretty physical. His official stats have him at 6'2, 201 lbs, but i swear he looks much bigger...though i think that may have to do with the youth he was playing with and against, kids who really havent filled out yet...

with regards to his 2 goals, here's how they went down. both were on the PP, both he had himself positioned in the slot. On the first play it was a pass from Stepan in the left circle to the point for a blast, Kreider had a perfect deflection to rainbow the puck up and over the goalie. It was kinda funny actually, the puck was blasted in super hard, Kreider completely slowed it down to a crawl, and it alley-ooped right over the goalie into the net. Pretty slick hands there. On the 2nd goal he was fed the puck, and he just put it in the net. Pretty straight forward blue collar goal. get into the dirty areas of the ice, find the puck, and put it home. the kind of goals you never seem to see the Rangers get.

Kreider also has a pretty nice wrist shot, but he doesn't have that lethal release that Gaborik has, its just a nice strong shot.

Overall, I love what i saw. it was 1 game, and an exhibition to boot, so it would be foolish to draw any kind of conclusions about the kid from one game, but if you get the chance to watch the game, you can't help but be impressed and excited about the future.

Old
12-20-2009, 06:56 AM
eco's bones

Excellent news on Kreider. He's a work in progress though who will definitely need at least one more year and quite possibly two at BC. I don't think it will be a good idea to rush him. The combination of size--skating and speed though could mean a very special player in the future. Definite 1st line potential--definite power forward potential (who usually need more time to develop)--some chance of possibly becoming an elite player if his puck skills and hockey IQ catch up with his skating skills.

Old
12-20-2009, 09:56 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
From what I've read/heard (I have not been able to see him play) his hockey IQ is off the charts. Maybe some of the people who have seen him play could verify this.

Old
12-20-2009, 10:06 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Thanks for the game reports guys, not sure I'll be able to catch the game. Well, actually not sure I'll be able to find someone in time to grab it for me.

Old
12-20-2009, 10:16 AM
ThirdEye

Finally going to be able to watch him for the first real time. I'm excited

Old
12-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
From what I've read/heard (I have not been able to see him play) his hockey IQ is off the charts. Maybe some of the people who have seen him play could verify this.
eh, even so, he's probably got a lot to learn in terms of using his linemates and things like that. Can't be a one man show at the next level

Old
12-20-2009, 10:55 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The US team made the cuts to cut down to 24 players including the 2 goaltenders. Ryan Bourque appears to have survived the cuts today. Luke Walker wasn't cut. He also didn't play last night.

14 forwards and 8 defensemen. They will cut 1 forward and 1 defenseman.

They didn't announce the cuts but they released a roster of players season stats for just 24 players instead of the 30 players in camp.

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junior_championships/

current players statistics

Old
12-20-2009, 10:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Derek Stepan has to be one of the WCHA's most underrated players. He's an all-around good player and a menace on the penalty kill. WCHA fans can enjoy having him on their side for two weeks.
Quote:
Up front, the Americans have very good team speed -- Kristo, Schroeder, Chris Kreider, Tyler Johnson and Zucker all showed that. There's a saying that Blais put up outside of the locker room at REA when he was coaching the Sioux: "Speed kills." It's still there. Obviously, that philosophy is still there for Blais, too.
http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=66667

Old
12-20-2009, 11:10 AM
FOXHOUND*

NHL network is showing this right now

Old
12-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
when don maloney was selecting, maybe.

In Gordie Clark I trust.
If NYR ever didn't like his development progress, there's a team in the Q (Saint John) that would gladly have him

Old
12-20-2009, 12:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Impressive news. Go Kreider, go team USA!

Old
12-20-2009, 02:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
So, in other words, you never seen him play?

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 12-20-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old
12-20-2009, 02:58 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Stepan,Bourque and Kreider did make the almost final cut

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junio...tailedNews=yes

Old
12-20-2009, 03:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Sweet, i can't wait for this year's WJC.

NHL Network better air the games again.

Old
12-20-2009, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Sweet, i can't wait for this year's WJC.

NHL Network better air the games again.
They are. There is a post here about that.

Old
12-20-2009, 03:19 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
So, in other words, you never seen him play?
I have now and he was impressive, but I'm not ready to call him the next great thing from one performance.

Old
12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
BostonCollegeFan

Quote:
BC develops players very well. They've put undrafted players into the NHL (Peter Harrold and Ryan Shannon recently) and guys drafted in late rounds into the NHL recently as well (Gerbe, Ferriero..). Sometimes I scratch my head at the things I read on this board. 3 BC alumni won the Stanley Cup last year.

I told you guys Kreider was going to be good, now you can all relax. He has a LONG way to go, but he's on the right path. How far he goes is up how hard he works and how coachable he is.

Old
12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCollegeFan View Post
BC develops players very well. They've put undrafted players into the NHL (Peter Harrold and Ryan Shannon recently) and guys drafted in late rounds into the NHL recently as well (Gerbe, Ferriero..). Sometimes I scratch my head at the things I read on this board. 3 BC alumni won the Stanley Cup last year.

I told you guys Kreider was going to be good, now you can all relax. He has a LONG way to go, but he's on the right path. How far he goes is up how hard he works and how coachable he is.
I don't think he meant BC. I'm pretty sure he meant the Rangers.

Closed Thread