HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Semenov

Old
09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
this guy is better then Wade Redden. SWITCH and let him play.
No

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Heat McManus

He's been pretty much the only surefire non-roster Ranger Dman I haven't been impressed with this pre-season.

Honestly, he's big, but id not imposing. he's taken a bunch of dumb penalties and has absolutely very little puck skills. I guess given 10-15 seconds he might be able to blast that 105 mph slapshot of his.

I'd love to see him stick with the Rangers as a Devils fan.

Redden-Roszival
Girardi-Staal
Gilroy-Semenov

Not terrible.

I'm baffled as to why MDZ is getting more playing time than Sanguinetti though.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

Semenov has earned a spot on the team. Redden and Rosie are the ones that need to go. Semenov being on the team allows Sather to get rid of one of the hoRRible brothers...if he can.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerFan10

He's definitely played well enough to earn a roster spot and I'd have to imagine the only move left to make on D, other than getting this guy a contract, would be deciding whether Sanguinetti or Del Zotto are leaving...

Old
09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The term you guys are looking for is "league minimum" which is 500K. I doubt he'll get more than that since he's just on a tryout. He's not gonna get a contract anywhere else at this point.

From Tort's comments, it sounds like he's got a spot on this team. Now the only question is, do we carry 6 or 7 dmen? I think we'll carry 7 with Gilroy and 1 of MDZ/Sangs.

My money is on Sangs right now. Granted, MDZ has shown more offensively, but Sangs has been pretty solid defensively. We have a boatload of dmen in Hartford and we're at 49 contracts right now. Sending Sangs back and keeping MDZ will just complicate things. If MDZ stays, then any deadline deals we make will have to be contract for contract.

I could see them keeping MDZ for 9 games before sending him back to juniors, sort of as a reward for having a good camp, and then bringing up Sangs.
A few years ago that would be an absolutely correct way of thinking. Now when the league is leaning toward exploiting young and cheap talent, I am not so sure MDZ will get back to juniors. Torts system requires players like him and he fits the budget. Plus some additional marketing points Dolan would like it shall bring...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Semenov has earned a spot on the team. Redden and Rosie are the ones that need to go. Semenov being on the team allows Sather to get rid of one of the hoRRible brothers...if he can.
This is really brilliant thinking. Seriously, if it was possible capwise to just get rid of Redden and Rozy you'd rather go with a platoon of rookies + Girardi, Staal, Semenov? That'd be horrible. Everyone takes these two for granted because they don't play up to their contract, they're still an important part of the equation right now whether anyone would like to admit it or not. Next season, when our top 5 d-men are: Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto, Gilroy, Sanguinetti.... THEN we can start talking about how these guys have to go. Stop gap players right now.

Old
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Staalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
This is really brilliant thinking. Seriously, if it was possible capwise to just get rid of Redden and Rozy you'd rather go with a platoon of rookies + Girardi, Staal, Semenov? That'd be horrible. Everyone takes these two for granted because they don't play up to their contract, they're still an important part of the equation right now whether anyone would like to admit it or not. Next season, when our top 5 d-men are: Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto, Gilroy, Sanguinetti.... THEN we can start talking about how these guys have to go. Stop gap players right now.

Really well said. Redden also started to play at the end of last season and into the playoffs and we are still in PRE-SEASON. I know everything is what have you done for me lately, but it is still preseason and I have faith that Torts and the rest of the staff will get things straightened out. Not saying he will ever live up to his contract because he won't but at this point that is neither here not there, get solid and responsible play out of him til the kids are ready to take the prime time rold and I'll be happy.

Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
he's taken a bunch of dumb penalties and has absolutely very little puck skills.
Stay at home Ds do not have a flashy puck skills, it's not their job. As to penalties, how do you know they were dumb? The guy may not know how the game is being called nowadays. He learned pre-lockout NHL, then played in AHL, KHL, etc. The rules were different in every place, let alone interpretation of them

Old
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Vitto79

its seems pretty obvious that he will be signed soon on the cheap to be the Dman. He's a monster on the ice. Fine for spot dudy for sure

Its coming down to DZ, Sangs, what a tough call

Question:

Does anyone think its a big deal to have to Righty shots together all the time?

So if Sangs wins the spot for example then its something like

Staal, Gilroy
Redden, Sanguinetti
Rozsival, Girardi

Also I don't hate Redden and Rozy we are just harder on them because their contracts blow chunks. In the end I still hope somehow they can move Rozsival for a Righty shooting Dman that makes around 3 million. Only reason is to save on the cap

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:53 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Stay at home Ds do not have a flashy puck skills, it's not their job. As to penalties, how do you know they were dumb? The guy may not know how the game is being called nowadays. He learned pre-lockout NHL, then played in AHL, KHL, etc. The rules were different in every place, let alone interpretation of them
He played 47 games last year and 27 the year before that. You're telling me that he thought for some reason this year they called penalties differently?

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 12:58 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
He played 47 games last year and 27 the year before that. You're telling me that he thought for some reason this year they called penalties differently?
Jeez, they called it differently during the season.
Before every game the coaches brief the players on how the particular ref calls the game (based on video reviews). I wouldn't put too much into penalties at this point.

Old
09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
05-06 - Edmonton, Florida
06-07 - Florida
07-08 - San Jose
08-09 - San Jose

If he hasn't adjusted to the way the refs are calling the game by now then I don't know what to tell you. It's not like he's a 19 year old coming over for his firt year in the NA

Yes, stay-at-home defenseman don't have to possess incredibly puck skills, but I think he's lacking for even a stay-at-home defenseman. Example: Boston. Carries the puck past all three forwards from his own blueline into the offensive zone then blasts a slap shot into the Bruins dman. Puck goes out of the zone, Bruins go towards the Rangers net. That's stupid for open hockey. For the NHL it's just pathetic.

Old
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
levski87

Quote:
Jeez, they called it differently during the season.
Before every game the coaches brief the players on how the particular ref calls the game (based on video reviews). I wouldn't put too much into penalties at this point.
Huh? A penalty is a penalty. It's not like each ref has a different rule book on how to officate a game.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 01:06 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Huh? A penalty is a penalty. It's not like each ref has a different rule book on how to officate a game.
Uhm...there are A LOT of "interpretation" calls...

Old
09-22-2009, 01:19 PM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

I have no doubt that Semenov has played well enough to get a 1 yr contract (under $800k) and will fill the 6/7 dman role.

He's not brilliant, he's not flashy, he's not going to get more than 3 goals all year, he's not going to lead any offensive rushes -- but that's not his job. He's a role player, and a big body that the NYRs need on the blue line. Not everyone can be a flashy offensive dman. He'll clear the crease, take up a lot of room on the ice, play when needed and not make many stupid plays.

He also has shown so far that he has a pretty hard shot that he can get on goal and if nothing else that cound leave rebounds (as evidence by the Higgins goal in the 1st game and another goal I believe in the 2nd game)

I'll be VERY surprised if he's not on the roster opening night (not necessarily starting)

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 01:45 PM
xnyker

I would guess that Gilroy is in, Semenov ends up as an extra 7th and the Rangers take a hard look at MDZ, and have to decide whether a 19 year old body can handle the rigors of a 80 plus game season on defense. He fits the system and would make our power play better but can he hold up, or like Staal before him end up playing 30 to 35 min a night in th OHL which the Rangers said wasn't the best situation for Staal's conditioning because he ended up pacing himself in games, but he turned out just fine. Then it will be between Sanquenetti, Potter, and Sauer for the sixth.

xnyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:04 PM
pwoz

Staal and Girardi are veterans, but who cares because they are tons better than R&R.

R&R are absolute liabilities.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
People really seem to be having trouble with the idea that just because Redden and Rozy are vastly overpaid, they aren't actually dreadful hockey players.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
People really seem to be having trouble with the idea that just because Redden and Rozy are vastly overpaid, they aren't actually dreadful hockey players.
I think you have the concept wrong. It's the fact that the rangers use 12 million dollars on those 2 and get the production that rosival and redden give (which is terrible within itself) that makes them dreadful hockey players. I believe that if both were being paid 650k a year, that they'd have been cut by now.

And if you hadnt noticed about their skills:

They are the slowest players on the team, neither of them shoots any longer, they are both up there in age, neither of them is physical, their passes arent very accurate, they cant clear the crease, they cant clear the zone, they dont block shots as often as younger defensemen, they panic under pressure, on occasion they both decide to be risk takers and take the puck deep into the other team's zone... sure it may not be a problem if they actually shot the puck... instead they usually lose the puck or make a terrible pass creating an odd man rush the other way... and if thats not enough evidence for you that they are just horrid players in general... they are veterans, you would think that they could atleast mentor other players, or be able to motivate other players... well they cant, neither is good for anything besides eating away at available cap space and available defensive spots.

If Glen Sather is wise, and if the rangers are lucky both Rosival and Redden will both be gone by the time July 1,2010 comes. By that time the 2 rookie defensemen that the rangers have up right now will be assimilated into the league and 2 more rookie defensemen can come up (whether it be potter,sauer, macdonaugh, or sanguinetti).

It'd also open up cap space to sign a player like Ilya Kovalchuk to take some offensive pressure off of Gaborik. It would also give the rangers the flexibility to sign a few decent grinders (something not very prevalent on the current rangers roster).

Alexei Semenov is not hte solution. MDZ and Gilroy SHOULD be our 3rd defensive pair, even if MDZ is not ready yet. At the very least he gains tremendously valuable experience to play in the NHL.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Heat McManus

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Semenov is not listed on the roster

Del Zotto
Gilroy
Redden
Roszival
Girardi
Sanguinetti
Staal

He was listed earlier today.

Old
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Semenov is not listed on the roster

Del Zotto
Gilroy
Redden
Roszival
Girardi
Sanguinetti
Staal

He was listed earlier today.
he has no contract so he is not a Ranger, I will be surprised if he's not the 7th, he's still around that says alot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
exactly. *facepalm*

Old
09-22-2009, 11:03 PM
The Thomas J.*

Unless there is a better option with the same size & ablity to clear the crease that we haven't heard of yet Semenov makes the team. I have no problem with that he has earned it.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 11:15 PM
TylerDurden

I think he's awful.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 12:42 AM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
I think he's awful.
awful? come on now.

I dont get why we didnt get Buillon for 700k???? seriously??

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote