Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Brett Gallant - Elmira Jackals

Old
09-22-2009, 01:30 PM
AUShockeyfan

vCash: 500
Brett Gallant - Elmira Jackals

Young Brett Gallant (Summerside, PEI) looks impressive in the early going for the Elmira Jackals, standing up to Jesse Boulerice on a couple of occasions, and actually TKO-ing Boulerice in the first bout - 2nd not so fortunate.

Brett started his junior career with the Sumemrside Western Capitals in 2005, only playing 9 games before heading off to Saint John to join the Seadogs where he'd spend the next two seasons solidifying his reputation as one of the Q's top middleweights. Brett finished last season "captaining" his Summerside team to the RBC Jr. A Championships in Victoria. Curious to hear how he makes out during the year in Elmira, although Brett at this time remains with the Binghampton Senators....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgM7onsHRzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arq2sKGp1JU

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
pelts35.com

You're calling the first one a TKO? Looked to me that Bowl-of-Rice landed a shot at the same time that he took one and lost his balance more than anything else. That said, at this stage of his career, Jesse is hardly the gold standard of AHL fighters so I'm not sure if I'd use that as a barometer of Gallant.

BTW, it's spelled Binghamton, not BinghamPton.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:25 PM
AUShockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You're calling the first one a TKO? Looked to me that Bowl-of-Rice landed a shot at the same time that he took one and lost his balance more than anything else. That said, at this stage of his career, Jesse is hardly the gold standard of AHL fighters so I'm not sure if I'd use that as a barometer of Gallant.

BTW, it's spelled Binghamton, not BinghamPton.
LOL thank you for correcting my spelling error, as those who know me know I pride myself on correct spelling - especially when it comes to places.

Fist hits jaw, guy goes to a knee, and it's called a slip?

For a 21 y.o. middleweight giving up 30 lbs to scrap a tested NHL/former NHL heavy, I'd say it holds some level of importance.

Old
09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUShockeyfan View Post
LOL thank you for correcting my spelling error, as those who know me know I pride myself on correct spelling - especially when it comes to places.

Fist hits jaw, guy goes to a knee, and it's called a slip?

For a 21 y.o. middleweight giving up 30 lbs to scrap a tested NHL/former NHL heavy, I'd say it holds some level of importance.
That's how you see the fight as a fan of the player. I'm watching the video with absolutely no bias at all. I rewound the video at least a dozen times and it looks to me that at the two guys landed punches at the same time and that Boulerice lost his balance. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's how I saw it (not to mention that prior to the fall I think Boulerice got the better of the scrap).

You certainly are entitled to say it holds some level of importance for Gallant, but Boulerice is half the fighter that he used to be. Let's see him take on and hold his own against some current heavies and then I'll agree that he could be a solid pugilist in the ECHL or AHL.

Old
09-22-2009, 11:16 PM
torontosports10

Gallant was getting beat in the first one till he landed that shot, it definalty make him drop to a knee.

In the second one it was more a toss up then anything.

Ive been a fan of Gallant since his Sea Dog days so hopefully he can make the way up

torontosports10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
That's how you see the fight as a fan of the player. I'm watching the video with absolutely no bias at all. I rewound the video at least a dozen times and it looks to me that at the two guys landed punches at the same time and that Boulerice lost his balance. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's how I saw it (not to mention that prior to the fall I think Boulerice got the better of the scrap).

You certainly are entitled to say it holds some level of importance for Gallant, but Boulerice is half the fighter that he used to be. Let's see him take on and hold his own against some current heavies and then I'll agree that he could be a solid pugilist in the ECHL or AHL.

Boulerice is still a big competent NHL heavyweight. To say this isn't an accomplishment for the youngster is ridiculous. It's all about establishing the rep and Boulerice becomes a notch in Brett's first fight. People are going to recognize Gallant and his big right hand before long, The kid hits like a truck.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 12:42 PM
AUShockeyfan

Brett has recently been sent to Elmira from BINGHAMTON - His next test could come in the form of past Q heavyweight champ Kevin Cormier. Was at the game where 17 y.o. Brett was dropped twice by this pugilist - have to think Brett has Kevin on his radar for next weekend.

Old
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
AUShockeyfan

Brett with a win over Scott Fletcher in a very recent contest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-cL-3q82c

Old
10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
SmokinPuck

Not much of a win. These 2 teams see each other 14 times this year, should make for one hell of a show.

SmokinPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
AUShockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinPuck View Post
Not much of a win. These 2 teams see each other 14 times this year, should make for one hell of a show.
Not much of a win? Brett stopped the guy by landing a big right hand - refs came in to stop the fights at Fletch's request - and kudos to Brett for doing the respectful thing and not throwing any more shots as he saw his adversary injured. They play 14times Well, there will be a rematch you'd think...

Old
10-24-2009, 09:24 AM
AUShockeyfan

Brett #44 doing his thing again. From hockeyfights...

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/87758#

Old
11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
AUShockeyfan

One punch KO/TKO of Myles Stoesz, or as pelts might call it, a "slip" by Stoesz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NROTQuTptQY

Old
11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:

Nope, I'd call that one a one punch KO. So sorry that as a completely impartial individual that I see the Bowl-of-rice fight differently than a fan of Gallant.

Old
11-02-2009, 04:02 PM
AUShockeyfan

Quote:
Nope, I'd call that one a one punch KO. So sorry that as a completely impartial individual that I see the Bowl-of-rice fight differently than a fan of Gallant.
lol no problem, just giving you a hard time. As for being partial, I hope nothing but the best for Brett - but call 'em as I see 'em as well. It's a long season.

PS nice website...

Old
11-03-2009, 08:33 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
lol no problem, just giving you a hard time. As for being partial, I hope nothing but the best for Brett - but call 'em as I see 'em as well. It's a long season.

PS nice website...
No hard feelings at all.

Thanks for the compliment about the website. It hasn't been updated in years and once the domain expires the site will be gone.

Old
11-08-2009, 01:43 AM
TrentonPwnedFlorida

Quote:

Nice fight today...Stoesz treated Gallant like a punching bag.

Btw Cormier is in the AHL, and I garuntee you, would have DESTROYED Gallant.

Subpar hockey skills, subpar fighting skills, and frankly...Was mostly benched in the 3rd period except for maybe 1 shift. Good fighter if your definition of fighting is staying on your feet while your opponent beats your face like a piece of meat.

TrentonPwnedFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 08:37 AM
trentondevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentonPwnedFlorida View Post
Nice fight today...Stoesz treated Gallant like a punching bag.

Btw Cormier is in the AHL, and I garuntee you, would have DESTROYED Gallant.

Subpar hockey skills, subpar fighting skills, and frankly...Was mostly benched in the 3rd period except for maybe 1 shift. Good fighter if your definition of fighting is staying on your feet while your opponent beats your face like a piece of meat.
Actually according to the article on the T-Devils web site Gallant got benched earlier than that for his sub par play.

http://trentondevils.com/news.php?nid=409

Frankly i would like to see him play more. Our power play sucks and needs the practice.
Oh, and Stoesz was the #1 star of the game. Imagine that.

Last edited by trentondevil: 11-08-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: adding comment
trentondevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2009, 09:47 AM
AUShockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentondevil View Post
Actually according to the article on the T-Devils web site Gallant got benched earlier than that for his sub par play.

http://trentondevils.com/news.php?nid=409

Frankly i would like to see him play more. Our power play sucks and needs the practice.
Oh, and Stoesz was the #1 star of the game. Imagine that.
Congrats to Myles on being awarded first star - always nice to see pugilists getting involved in the game aside from their fistycuffs.

As for the scrap, yeah win for Stoesz, but treated him like a punching bag? Lets just say the punching bag might not be able to comb the left side of his head for a while - even the article said it was a good fight. At least we had the chance to see what Stoesz can do if he's able to get a punch in Everyone looses once in a while - keep up the good work kid!

Here's the bout from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctaPopyTXqs

Old
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
AUShockeyfan

Stoesz/Gallant III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpJsi1zEYL0

Not much of a fight - word is Gallant speared Myles, then Myles jumps Brett from behind. Looked like he was pulling Brett's hair Pretty brave...

Old
11-11-2009, 01:54 AM
TrentonPwnedFlorida

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpJsi1zEYL0

Not much of a fight - word is Gallant speared Myles, then Myles jumps Brett from behind. Looked like he was pulling Brett's hair Pretty brave...
Why do you like some no name scrub wanna be enforcer who gets benched on an ECHL team for taking bad penalties and for being useless?

Gonna be really funny to read this thread when he gets cut / traded. The guy has done nothing to help Elmira win...all he HAS done is let the other team practice their PP.

TrentonPwnedFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 08:12 AM
AUShockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentonPwnedFlorida View Post
who gets benched on an ECHL team for taking bad penalties and for being useless?

Gonna be really funny to read this thread when he gets cut / traded. The guy has done nothing to help Elmira win...all he HAS done is let the other team practice their PP.

"Why do you like some no name scrub wanna be enforcer..." Followed Brett since he was 16, and watched him hang with 20 year olds at that age, embarrasing a few of them. Made a very quick jump to the Q, established himself there as a top 5-7 guy, then came back to Tier II and was amongst the leading scorers for the season, and led his team to the national championships. Young Brett has had quite an eventful pre-pro Hockey career, and an equally eventful personal life over the past one or two years, and it sounds like he is doing well.

OH yeah, when he scraps, he usually battles guys that are his size or 4 inches bigger, and mostly 15-35 lbs heavier - you wouldn't know any players that are around 6'3" 220 and were one-punched lately by Brett do you? In other words, your guy was dropped with one shot by a "no name scrub wannabe enforcer" . Jeez, what does that make your guy? Have a good one....

Old
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
trentondevil

Quote:
"Why do you like some no name scrub wanna be enforcer..." Followed Brett since he was 16, and watched him hang with 20 year olds at that age, embarrasing a few of them. Made a very quick jump to the Q, established himself there as a top 5-7 guy, then came back to Tier II and was amongst the leading scorers for the season, and led his team to the national championships. Young Brett has had quite an eventful pre-pro Hockey career, and an equally eventful personal life over the past one or two years, and it sounds like he is doing well.

OH yeah, when he scraps, he usually battles guys that are his size or 4 inches bigger, and mostly 15-35 lbs heavier - you wouldn't know any players that are around 6'3" 220 and were one-punched lately by Brett do you? In other words, your guy was dropped with one shot by a "no name scrub wannabe enforcer" . Jeez, what does that make your guy? Have a good one....
Well Trenton won that game, so I guess that makes him a winner. Not saying Stoesz is the best fighter but its pretty low to try and spear a guy in the groin. Real tough that. By the way Stoesz was pulling Gallants helmut off, not pulling hair. I really dont know much about Gallant other than what I saw in Trenton this past weekend but he took bad penalties and got benched in every game. He took some real cheap shots too. Maybe he can fight occasionally but there is more to the game than that. You have to be able to play the game. He's young, maybe he can work on being a hockey player instead of just a goon.

By the way suprised you missed this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NJsH1s_So

Last nights Elmira vs South Carolina

trentondevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
AUShockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentondevil View Post
Well Trenton won that game, so I guess that makes him a winner. Not saying Stoesz is the best fighter but its pretty low to try and spear a guy in the groin. Real tough that. By the way Stoesz was pulling Gallants helmut off, not pulling hair. I really dont know much about Gallant other than what I saw in Trenton this past weekend but he took bad penalties and got benched in every game. He took some real cheap shots too. Maybe he can fight occasionally but there is more to the game than that. You have to be able to play the game. He's young, maybe he can work on being a hockey player instead of just a goon.

By the way suprised you missed this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2NJsH1s_So

Last nights Elmira vs South Carolina
Thanks for posting the clip, I appreciate it. Looks like at the 13 sec. mark Brett catches Kiser stunning him momentarily (crowd kind of responded to it as well). Give it a draw as Kiser was just a little busier, but Brett landed the best shot of the fight. EDIT: On second viewing, looks like they threw around the same # of punches, so edge to Brett...

Obviously can't condone spearing to the groin or anywhere, period. Surprised Brett went that route, to possibly entice Stoesz into going? Maybe Myles said/did something that went unseen and Brett retaliated - pure speculation of course. Regardless, no need for that as it was a cheap play. And the discipline issues right now, well, he'll learn not to do certain things you'd think or hope. He's still very young and adjusting to many things right now.

Seen some of Myles fights on youtube; kid can throw 'em..

From the skill point of view, not sure where Brett is now with respect to that, but his skating needs work for sure. I have no doubt that Brett throughout the season will work on his skillset, and develop into a good player for Elmira, possibly Binghamton, and hopefully Ottawa in the following years, replacing Chris Neil when it's time for Chris to pack it in - wishful thinking at the moment but with Brett's mentality it is a real possibility. Plays with alot of heart and intensity - not much more you can ask for.

For the record, Nate Kiser 6'1" 225, Brett 6' 190; Brett doesn't pick his spots (or maybe he does )

Last edited by AUShockeyfan: 11-11-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
torontosports10

Atta baby Gallant. ****in Jacques Beaulieu releasing him was his worst mistake as a Sea Dog.

torontosports10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 08:15 AM
pelts35.com

Here you go, AUS, from last night's Jackals/Checkers game. Not much of a fight with TJ Reynolds pulling your boy down just 18 seconds in.