HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Moore

Old
09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
hockeyGod

vCash: 500
John Moore

Was doing a quick search around your forum and couldnt find a Moore thread.

Looks like he is really having a nice camp and preseason for the Jackets. Is he really making a case for himself to make the opening day roster, that seems to go against the Hitchcock/lessons learnt regime.

What has he done to impress you guys thus far? Also, lets say he does make opening night roster and plays well could he possibly stick?

I realize you CBJ fans dont want to put the cart infront of the horse with this kid, and thats probably why there is no thread for him but what do you Jackets experts think.

And, yes I did draft him in my fantasy league fairly early and am very excited about him as I am sure all of you are as well.

Thanks in advance

hockeyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Doug19

I don't think he will stick with the big club. I just don't see him beating out any of our top 6 if they all stay healthy. He won't stay here to be #7 because that will be Clitsome probably.

What has impressed me so far is his complete confidence with the puck and the fact he is not afraid to have it on his stick and want it on his stick even when players like Nash are out on the ice with him. He loves to pinch and he plays the whole length of the ice meaning it's not surprising to see him be the first person into the corners trying to retrieve the puck in the offensive zone. That while is a nice thing to see, is also the thing that worries me the most.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 02:59 PM
awsquires

Im interested too of how Moore is doing. I can't wait to see him in a Blue Jackets jersey. In honestly like to see him make the team this year.

Hedja Commodore
Russell Tyutin
Klesla Moore

awsquires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
He might get to see a few NHL games this season but I doubt it.. He is getting a lot of attention based on his preseason play and appears to be a very good first round pick.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsquires View Post
Im interested too of how Moore is doing. I can't wait to see him in a Blue Jackets jersey. In honestly like to see him make the team this year.

Hedja Commodore
Russell Tyutin
Klesla Moore
I like those pairings.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:13 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I don't think he will stick with the big club. I just don't see him beating out any of our top 6 if they all stay healthy. He won't stay here to be #7 because that will be Clitsome probably.

What has impressed me so far is his complete confidence with the puck and the fact he is not afraid to have it on his stick and want it on his stick even when players like Nash are out on the ice with him. He loves to pinch and he plays the whole length of the ice meaning it's not surprising to see him be the first person into the corners trying to retrieve the puck in the offensive zone. That while is a nice thing to see, is also the thing that worries me the most.
I agree.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
hockeyGod

The thing with Moore is that he has no real ties with a junior or college organization. Kitchener poached him from Colorado College and he hasnt even stepped on Kitchener ice (I think).

This by no means is a reason to keep/cut a kid but a nice luxury if he forces the Jackets to play him.

I dont think he will make it this year either, maybe 5 games or so. It didnt work with Russ or Brule for that matter so I am positive the Jackets brass is at least a lot gunshy on keeping 18 year old rookies.

That said, very exciting for the BJs to get what they have been pining for a long time in a blue chip offensive D man.

Old
09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Hobieman

Saw him from the glass last nite and looks like a great pick. Not nervous with the puck and never seemed tired. A few hiccups mostly just from young legs and inexperiance, but it is clear he will be a very good pro! He will dominate in juniors this year.

Hobieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:25 PM
bluejacketsbabe161

Send a message via AIM to bluejacketsbabe161 Send a message via Yahoo to bluejacketsbabe161
I'm definitely becoming a fan of him. I don't think this is his year, but I would like to see him here for his 9 games to see how he does against the full teams as opposed to prospects. Hopefully a year or two to develop would make him even better than he already is.

bluejacketsbabe161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:37 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
The thing with Moore is that he has no real ties with a junior or college organization. Kitchener poached him from Colorado College and he hasnt even stepped on Kitchener ice (I think).

This by no means is a reason to keep/cut a kid but a nice luxury if he forces the Jackets to play him.

I dont think he will make it this year either, maybe 5 games or so. It didnt work with Russ or Brule for that matter so I am positive the Jackets brass is at least a lot gunshy on keeping 18 year old rookies.

That said, very exciting for the BJs to get what they have been pining for a long time in a blue chip offensive D man.
But it worked for Nash and others. I don't mean to get on you, but it bothers me when someone uses that for a reason not to keep a player. Either the player is ready or not. If the organization feels he is ready, and he is one of the best 6 dmen, then he should be on the team. If either one, or both, of those is not true then he shouldn't.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I think a 9 game (or less) cup of coffee isn't out of the question, but by no means will he stick around the whole year. I see him going back to Kitchener and having a season similar to John Carlson last year.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Skraut

Moore was drafted out of the USHL not junior, he can go straight to Syracuse right?

Not that it would give Lindsay Kramer et al a reason to stop whining because he's not Dan Smith, but that could be a good option for his development.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Moore was drafted out of the USHL not junior, he can go straight to Syracuse right?

Not that it would give Lindsay Kramer et al a reason to stop whining because he's not Dan Smith, but that could be a good option for his development.
That is what I gathered. USHL must not have a bylaw, like the CHL.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I was under the impression that all NA league draftees are ineligible for the AHL. I could be wrong. Either way, I think it's best for him to be in Kitchener.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:15 PM
blahblah

Temptation, temptation. Is he more or less ready then we have in the 'Cuse right now? Hitch sure is giving him a hard, long, look.

I think some of it depends on the injury situation.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I was under the impression that all NA league draftees are ineligible for the AHL. I could be wrong. Either way, I think it's best for him to be in Kitchener.
This guy is beyond Kitchener. He's ready to play against men. Time to get rid of those training wheels.

Old
09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
awsquires

Like I said, Id like to see him in a Blue Jackets jersey but its probibly best for him to play in the OHL. I say 9 games and then the OHL, possibly a year in the AHL wouldn't hurt him after Kitchener. No need to rush anymore.

awsquires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
hockeyGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
But it worked for Nash and others. I don't mean to get on you, but it bothers me when someone uses that for a reason not to keep a player. Either the player is ready or not. If the organization feels he is ready, and he is one of the best 6 dmen, then he should be on the team. If either one, or both, of those is not true then he shouldn't.
Dont worry about questioning me, this isnt my team so my specualtion is as invalid as anyone. The reason I brought up the point of not rushing him because the CBJs though thought they had their pp qb in Russell and maybe they still do but he was rushed along and and its not looking as promising as it one was. I agree every player is a case by case decision and this is never a true basis on a player making a team but it does have to linger in the GMs head.

heck Im an Avs fan and I want both Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly to make it, but we are in different situations as franchises.

Now Moore to the AHL is something I never thought about, interesting but I think a 70 point season in the OHL might do him best. Time will tell, I love this time of year!

Old
09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Temptation, temptation. Is he more or less ready then we have in the 'Cuse right now? Hitch sure is giving him a hard, long, look.

Well, most of the rest of the injury brigade from last year has something going on right now, so its only a matter of time before Klesla goes down with something.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I think a 9 game (or less) cup of coffee isn't out of the question, but by no means will he stick around the whole year. I see him going back to Kitchener and having a season similar to John Carlson last year.
Carlson is a good comparison in terms of stlye of play. He was just sent down to Hershey, but will be a good blueliner for them soon.

Quote:

With four of the top six down with (minor) injuries I think he may have to stick around, because those four will need time to catch up.

In terms of the guys who are battling for a D spot, I think Moore is the best of bunch offensively. Sigalet would be the closest to him. Then Clitsome. Roy, Liffiton, and Lynch are defensive types. They will fill in for the Hejda, Commodore and Methot if/when they go down this season.

The lines posted earlier-

Tyutin - Russell
Commodore - Hejda
Klesla - Moore

...are very intriguing. That said, i find it hard to put Methot in the pressbox. Unless the team goes with 7 defensemen- not that outlandish with Modin and Chimmer out.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
Was doing a quick search around your forum and couldnt find a Moore thread.

Looks like he is really having a nice camp and preseason for the Jackets. Is he really making a case for himself to make the opening day roster, that seems to go against the Hitchcock/lessons learnt regime.
Please explain. Voracek was straight out of jr. and he stuck, same with Russell. One had a nice rookie campaign and the latter, he held his own for a small, young d man.

He has good size for a young kid, not just tall but thick too. Seems poised and can really make a good first pass. Of course his skating is NHL calibre, but we all know that already. It will be interesting to see how he does vs. a more formidable opponent tonight.

I don't imagine he sticks with the big club because of our d situation, not really because he isn't good enough, but because we are in a bit of a situation. If he stays they want him to play in our top 6. He is in our top 6 who sits? Russell? Methot? Okay, but both of these guys make decent money and they can't get sent down without having to pass waivers and we would lose either one if they went to waivers.

Now, you have a bottom pairing of Russell-Moore or Moore-Methot and we STILL are in need of a decent 7th dman to be able to come in in case of injury. I just don't really see him being a full time top 6 player for us at this point. We are too sketchy with our d as it is, so bringing him in would/could create more of an issue with our 7th-8th-9th than actually help us.

I am not sure if I was clear on all that, but you can figure it out lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

I have been told that it is either jr. or NHL for him, but Samkow put forth a line or two from an article that stated that he could go to the AHL because of the USHL thingy. I have been meaning to ask around but haven't yet, however, I have heard nobody (ie. Hitch, Howson) speak of him possibly going to Syracuse, they always seem to say either stick with the NHL or back to jr.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:47 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post

The lines posted earlier-

Tyutin - Russell
Commodore - Hejda
Klesla - Moore
If Moore stays I would rather see:

Hejda/Klesla
Tyutin/Moore
Commodore/Methot/Russell

I just don't see him pushing Russell or Methot into the press box full time though. I don't forsee him sticking with the NHL club actually.

Old
09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
...are very intriguing. That said, i dinf it hard to put Methot in the pressbox. Unless the team goes with 7 defensemen- not that outlandish with Modin and Chimmer out.
Not saying it's likely. But if Russell isn't doing his thing (or even Methot), I could see some changes.

But yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see a game or two with 7 dmen.

At the end of the day, we are in an interesting posistion. Moore is where we want to be. Russell hasn't gotten over the hump yet. We need Moore's or Russell's ability. If Hitch trusts Moore more then Russell or Methot...

In a perfect world Moore and Russell would both be ready and playing in the lineup at the same time.

So is Moore that much worse then Russell defensively?

Temptation...

Old
09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
If Moore stays I would rather see:

Hejda/Klesla
Tyutin/Moore
Commodore/Methot/Russell

I just don't see him pushing Russell or Methot into the press box full time though. I don't forsee him sticking with the NHL club actually.
I was thinking Moore with Klesla more for physical protection, and to have him paired with somebody who is good defensively, allowing Moore to pinch up. This would let Tyutin strut his stuff in the offensive zone as well without having to worry about being paired with a rookie (who will make mistakes)

At the end of the day though, unless there is an injury to one of the top six, I don't see him making the team full-time either.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
So is Moore that much worse then Russell defensively?
It is difficult to tell at this point because we haven't had full on rosters to play against over an extended time period, but in all honesty, I don't see how he will be worse.

He won't have the experience or savvy that Russell will have accumulated, but his size is superior to Russell's and he can do some things that Kris possibly cannot.

Like someone (Jax I think) said in another thread, they have invested this much time into Russell, I don't see them walking away from him this early in his career. Russell just needs to gain some swagger and make it really clear he belongs. For his sake, our sake and the teams' sake.