HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Old
11-20-2011, 01:27 AM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
Hey, I go back from my trip about a week ago and, although its a little late coming (I've been busy), I wanted to say thanks for the excellent advice. You guys saved me about a hundred bucks by not renting a car at the airport, and some of the restaurant recommendations were great, too.

A few highlights:

* The Phoenix metro area is one of the best planned out cities I've ever been to. So easy and quick to find your way around.

* We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Scottsdale (on Gold Dust Road). Nice, clean and quiet (typical of Holiday Inn) and good location as it was just off Scottsdale Road and close to the 101. Reasonably priced. I would recommend it.

* My girlfriend loved the Outlets at Anthem, and Arizona Mills. In full disclosure, I did too. Snagged a few crazy deals.

* Love the arena district. We got there about two hours before the game, ate and walked around. Great atmosphere. The arena is just awesome, and our seats were fantastic. Wish the Oilers could have done a little better, though. . .

* Glad we did the trip to the Grand Canyon so I can say I saw it, but seemed like a really long, boring drive to get there. I think this may have just been more me than the drive, though, as I am used to long-ass road-trips. Just wasn't feeling it that day maybe.

* Ate at the Old Tortilla Factory (great food, awesome but pricey margaritas), Carlsbad Tavern (good), Pizza Bianco (great atmosphere, pizza was good), Orange Table (breakfast. again, good), and Mi Taco (cheap-ass margaritas, a TON of cheap food, and very cool atmosphere).

Great trip. I completely understand why so many of us Canadians buy vacation homes down there. I'm seriously considering looking into it myself. Quick flight from Calgary during the winter, NHL hockey, and sunshine? Seems like a pretty good deal.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Great trip. I completely understand why so many of us Canadians buy vacation homes down there. I'm seriously considering looking into it myself. Quick flight from Calgary during the winter, NHL hockey, and sunshine? Seems like a pretty good deal.
Now if only we can get those same Canadians to realize how awesome it is they can have all AZ has to offer AND live NHL hockey. Spread the good word my friend, the Coyotes being in AZ is a win for the locals and the visitors!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:55 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
Does your guys's team store sell Coyote Jerseys with names on them already? If so how much are they charging for them?
Now that the season has started and I guess some of you might have gone to a game since I asked the question. Anybody got an updated answer?

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Champ

sport town

Hey guys,

I one my want to a trip to Phoenix. I was wondering, since I never went there, wich is the favorite team there?

I know basketball so was football. Are the D-Backs popular?

And I want to add: I know you guys have a tough time with all the joke about the yotes future, but I just want to say I tink you are real fan to still support the team even if you not sure of tomorrow!

PS: just love Yandle is a top 10 D in the league IMO

Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:44 PM
moosemeister

The Suns are by far the most popular team here, mostly due to their longevity here in the valley. I personally don't like basketball, but I do catch a few Suns games a year, just to root for the local team.

Cardinals are getting bigger. They used to be the joke of the valley, but now they are up there with the Suns. I see MANY Cardinals decals on the back of cars and even license plates. The fan support is there.

Diamondbacks are the Suns to me. I'll watch, but I am not a huge fan of the sport.

In all honesty, I think an MLS team would do wonders here in Phoenix as well.

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Hey guys,

I one my want to a trip to Phoenix. I was wondering, since I never went there, wich is the favorite team there?

And I want to add: I know you guys have a tough time with all the joke about the yotes future, but I just want to say I tink you are real fan to still support the team even if you not sure of tomorrow!

Arizona as a very large transplant population and with that you're going to have lots of people here following Non-Arizona teams(ie Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Yankees, LA Lakers to name a few) which for some of them are larger in popularity than any of the Professional Arizona sports teams.

UofA and ASU Football are the most popular overall in Arizona even over pro-sport interest.

Suns are the most popular since they are the 1st Major league team in Arizona and had a few winnings seasons despite never winning a title along with the Cardinals, DBacks, and Coyotes in that order going down the list of popularity. However all of our sports teams are no expection to the bandwagon fairweather market here.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:45 PM
oilwizard

I'm coming down to Phoenix after Christmas and I was hoping to go to the Bruins game on the 28th. Would it be best to buy tickets right now, or do they get cheaper closer to the game date? I would be getting two.

Thanks

oilwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwizard View Post
I'm coming down to Phoenix after Christmas and I was hoping to go to the Bruins game on the 28th. Would it be best to buy tickets right now, or do they get cheaper closer to the game date? I would be getting two.

Thanks
I wouldn't chance it, especially against a team like the Bruins who draw well.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:04 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Hey guys,

By virtue of selling out a stadium that is roughly three times the size of most of it's competition, for right at sixty straight games (or so) and I believe since the day the new venue opened, I would have to give the popularity contest to the Cardinals. This has been accomplished through both highs and lows of a team playing the most popular sport in the nation. The Suns would come in at second, largely because that is a more fickle crowd. The Diamonbacks third and unfortunately the team that plays the greates game on earth sits in fourth.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
huhwhtfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwizard View Post

Thanks
I talked w my ticket rep yesterday for a friend of mine who wants bruins seats as well. its mostly sold out he did have a pair on the glass behind the coyotes goalie ($300/pr STH) or a pair upstairs. I'd grab what you can altho im not sure if the seats weren't just snatched up by scalpers to hawk to the fans outside.

huhwhtfkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
cjdv16

Hi Yotes fans,

Islander fan coming in peace. I'll be in Phoenix next week on business and a few colleagues and I will be heading to the game on Monday against the Avalanche.

Never been to Phoenix before.

Staying in the Hyatt (downtown). (A good spot? Safe? Thoughts?).

Any suggestions in terms of restaurants or watering holes?

I've heard the advice to 'beware the scorpions', but I'd be open to any suggestions to help make my stay more enjoyable.

Specifically, in terms of Jobbing.com, any things I need to check out? Is there a location where the players enter/exit that might be cool to check out, etc.? (At the Colisseum, the Isles park outside and walk right into the arena past the fans giving chances for autographs, etc.).

Lastly, I've got a 6 year old hockey playing boy and two girls (4 and 2). Any thoughts, spots, ideas as to Coyote memorabilia?

Looking forward to the trip and some South Western hospitality.

Thanks.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:16 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Don't worry about scorpions too much. I've lived here for over 30 years and only seen one in the wild once - and it was at the zoo, hanging out in the restroom! You can find them if you go looking, but it's not like they'll be crawling around your hotel or anything.

There are some things downtown, but a lot of the restaurants close up at night. The ones that cater to the game crowd stay open, but the ones that are more for the business lunch crowd don't. The Hyatt does have a neat restaurant on the top floor, I haven't eaten there in a while so I'm not sure of the quality but the view is yummy. The Spaghetti Factory isn't too far, and it's probably an easy trip on the Metro if you don't want to drive.

So you know...the Monday game is a special kid's day and they are also inviting a LOT of teachers. My school just got a whole pile of free tickets for the teachers, so a lot of us will be there. So don't talk out of turn, don't use swear words, don't throw spitwads, or you'll likely get 'the look' from one of the many teachers in attendance, and maybe even a detention!

The Yotes practice sometimes at the Alltel IceDen, but you want to check to be sure before making the trek out there. With the game starting at 2, I don't know if they have a morning practice in Scottsdale or not. Check their FB page to see if there will be a practice or not: http://www.facebook.com/icedenaz

There's a shop inside the arena that sells Coyote stuff, it can be hard to find Coyote things unless you go near the arena. The other stores seem to carry all of the teams except the Coyotes.

And if you want to see REAL coyotes, stop by my house...we have a few that run down the street behind my house fairly frequently.

It's a great time to visit Phoenix. We've had some AMAZING weather the past couple of weeks - in the 70's and nice and clear! There are some restaurants near the arena that have outdoor dining areas, so it's a good place for lunch before or dinner after the game.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:26 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

I've been here 14 years and I've never seen a scorpion, rattler or tarantula. Maybe I'm just lucky.

For restaurants, check out the Phoenix New Times:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/restaurants/

Don't plan on hanging out too long before the game at Westgate, there's nothing to do there. The only decent bar / restaurant is the Yard House, but you can't get a table before a game.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
87turbobuick

The only scorpion I have every seen was on a tee box at a golf course, it was hiding in the sand that you used to fill your divot.

87turbobuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
jakeytown

Im going to be driving up from Texas in a few weeks for the Sharks/Coyotes game. I cannot wait. I love the city of Phoenix and this will be my first time watching a hockey game there. It is going to be a great game!

jakeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Don't plan on hanging out too long before the game at Westgate, there's nothing to do there. The only decent bar / restaurant is the Yard House, but you can't get a table before a game.
Of course it's a subjective thing but I completely disagree with your assertion that the Yardhouse is the only decent bar/restaurant at Westgate. To each their own but I think you're out to lunch (pun intended) on this one my friend.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 50
Visiting Phoenix in February-March

Flames fan popping in to say hello!

I'm planning a trip to Glendale/Scottsdale/Phoenix at the end of February for about a week (haven't decided to stay 6 or 7 nights yet) and was looking for things to do and would love some suggestions. Obviously the #1 thing that's on my list is the March 1st matchup against our two beloved teams, but other than that I really don't have much planned. I understand there's a lot of great golf courses in the area, unfortunately I'm not really into that. To get the ball rolling, I guess I'm open to some recommendations on shopping, food, and sight seeing. I'll also be coming solo.

Another question: I'd like to have an actual physical ticket stub from the game as part of a souvenir (as opposed to a print out from an eTicket). Is there a good chance I could go down to the arena the day of or before to get a ticket?

Thanks everyone!

Unlimited Chequing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:18 AM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 343
Looks like you'll miss the start of baseball spring training games. You can always run up to the Grand Canyon for a day or two and take a look at the big hole in the ground. Sedona is another place people like to go for the scenery. Plenty of places to hike in town, Camelback Mtn. and Piestewa Peak come to mind. Enjoy your visit.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Fathead

Spring training games start March 2nd if you want to watch some baseball.
Lots of good places to get some good food around old town Scottsdale.

Fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

North AZ: Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Antelop Canyon, Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater

Central AZ: Phoenix metro area, Sedona, Payson

South AZ: Tombstone, Kartchner Caverns, Bisbee, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

I think that's at least a good starting point, now go google away my friend.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Builditagain*

Its a great to come to if your a hockey fan.The team is very accessable,very reasonable on tickets and you can't beat the weather.I love it here.Anything you are looking for you can find here except logical management and coaching of the lineups.But hopefully that will change by the trade deadline.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:29 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Plenty of outdoor recreation around the area. For shopping and eating, Westgate is OK but there are better places around the area.

If you're a clubbing/party guy, Mill Ave in Tempe or Old Town Scottsdale are usually the way to go.

Like others said, spring training baseball is always a good deal. Try to hit one of the newer complexes (Glendale, Goodyear, Surprise).

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Kartchner Caverns is amazing. It's a must see. In Sedona, the iconic "Pink Jeep" tour is fun, but pricey. If you're bringing kids and want to see the Canyon, you can take an old fashioned train from Williams, just north of Flagstaff. We did this many years ago. We stayed in this Cowboy hotel overnight, woke up early to a cowboy breakfast and took the train. The scenery is beautiful but beware the train robbers on the ride back from the Canyon. No kidding. Lots of fun.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 50
Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions so far, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
North AZ: Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Antelop Canyon, Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater

Central AZ: Phoenix metro area, Sedona, Payson

South AZ: Tombstone, Kartchner Caverns, Bisbee, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

I think that's at least a good starting point, now go google away my friend.
Oh wow, that's a great starting point! Thanks! Meteor crater isn't something I even thought about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
Anything you are looking for you can find here except logical management and coaching of the lineups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Kartchner Caverns is amazing. It's a must see. In Sedona, the iconic "Pink Jeep" tour is fun, but pricey. If you're bringing kids and want to see the Canyon, you can take an old fashioned train from Williams, just north of Flagstaff. We did this many years ago. We stayed in this Cowboy hotel overnight, woke up early to a cowboy breakfast and took the train. The scenery is beautiful but beware the train robbers on the ride back from the Canyon. No kidding. Lots of fun.
The train/cowboy hotel actually sounds really fun. Is this all part of a tour package? Or would I have to book a hotel and train separately?

If I were to do the grand canyon and meteor crater, is that something that I could drive up from the Phoenix area, do for the day, then drive back at night or would it be better that I do an overnight stay somewhere like Flagstaff and get a full sight seeing day before heading back?

Unlimited Chequing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
If I were to do the grand canyon and meteor crater, is that something that I could drive up from the Phoenix area, do for the day, then drive back at night or would it be better that I do an overnight stay somewhere like Flagstaff and get a full sight seeing day before heading back?
If you want to do both, it's much better to do overnight. GC is quite a distance from Phoenix - and I don't know that you would have nearly enough time to drive up and back, see the GC and see the meteor crater as well. There's a deer farm in Williams, on the way to the GC. You can pet them, they're pretty tame so that means they've become basically annoying goats with spots.

We went to Tombstone and Bisbee in October and had a nice time. You could do it in a day, but we spent the night in Tucson. Bisbee has a neat old copper mine, you ride the train in and they tell you all about the history of the mine. We weren't really impressed by Tombstone, but it's not something you have in CA, so maybe it would be interesting.

Sedona is pretty, but there's a lot of woo there. All sorts of people catering to the new age/vortex crowd.

There are a couple of zoos here, if you like animals. Wildlife World Zoo is not too far from the arena, and the Phoenix Zoo is a bit of a drive but still not horrible. It can be a nice place to walk around and enjoy the weather.

I live right down the street from Surprise stadium, every year I tell myself I'm going to go see a spring training game and somehow I never get around to it! There's not much else to do in Surprise, but if the weather's nice it can be a neat way to spend the afternoon. Most of the games start around 1 pm.

For food, I would try to get some good Mexican while you're here (if you like it spicy). Carolina's is not far from the arena, we've gone there before a game. I personally don't like beans of any sort, but one of my friends tells me they must put crack in them, they're so addictive! Otherwise, the valley seems to be taken over by chains, and you have to look to find the good stuff. Westgate isn't known for its amazing dining options, but I don't think they're horrible either. We like to go to Moe's for fajitas or tacos before the games. There are some nice places to sit at Westgate, sometimes we just bring sandwiches and have a little picnic before the game.

Shopping...what do you want to buy? If you want sporting goods, Cabela's is right across from the arena. They have all sorts of stuffed animals, it's kind of neat to see them but not special trip sort of neat.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote