HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Old
01-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Thanks for that input frackiewicz! Yeah, I think I'll definitely consider doing an overnighter up by the Grand Canyon there. I guess that would be a lot of driving to cram into one day if I'm by myself.

As for shopping, I like hitting up some guitar stores when I'm traveling to see if I can find any cool deals I can't find at home. Clothes and shoes would be great too. Anyone know any good gun shops? Obviously I can't bring firearms over the border, but accessories are quite a bit cheaper in the US than they are in Canada.

Also, I'd like to pick up a Coyotes jersey. Any places that might have good deals, or are they typically all the same price everywhere?

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
I don't know a lot about the guitar thing, but there is a big guitar store at the 101 and I-10. It's near the Hobby Lobby/Old Navy, it seems pretty big.

I know there are gun places in Scottsdale, some are popular with Canadians who want to come shoot for the day. Cabela's does have lots of guns and hunting clothes, outdoor clothes in general. They also have a bunch of fish swimming around.

The jerseys are probably all similar in price, but I don't know for sure. I got one for my son online from sportchalet, they sent a $10 coupon so it was a little cheaper. I believe that season ticket holders get a discount at the store in the arena, but I haven't bought anything there yet so I don't know what percentage that is. They have the biggest selection of anywhere I've seen.

The husband and I were at a Wal-Mart this weekend and saw that they had all sorts of team gear for sale - Cardinals, Suns, D-backs, Cowboys, 49ers, Ravens, Broncos, Lakers...every single team you could possibly want EXCEPT the Coyotes.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

Thanks again frackiewicz!

Old
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
Thanks again frackiewicz!
I've been going to the valley almost my whole life but will be taking the gf there on the 24th for the first time so doing alot more touristy things.

Just a couple things we have planned you may be interested in......Sedona is only a couple hours away and is similar to our kananaskis (cave creek is kind of like bragg creek). We were going to do a jeep tour but found of a company, Barlow jeep rentals, which allows you to take out your own newish lifted rubicons and explore the trails and wilderness at your own pace.

We also purchased a couple groupons to use which are on right now....a hot air balloon ride near cave creek and the 5 restaurant tour downtown. For hotels never pay full price, use pricelines bidding system. We got the scottsdale plaza 4 star and the marriotte in tempe for roughly 60 bucks a night each.

Theres alot of good info in this thread, and I would definitely wear a good hoody to the game, its at least 5 degrees colder in jobbing in comparison to the saddledome.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
I've been going to the valley almost my whole life but will be taking the gf there on the 24th for the first time so doing alot more touristy things.

Just a couple things we have planned you may be interested in......Sedona is only a couple hours away and is similar to our kananaskis (cave creek is kind of like bragg creek). We were going to do a jeep tour but found of a company, Barlow jeep rentals, which allows you to take out your own newish lifted rubicons and explore the trails and wilderness at your own pace.

We also purchased a couple groupons to use which are on right now....a hot air balloon ride near cave creek and the 5 restaurant tour downtown. For hotels never pay full price, use pricelines bidding system. We got the scottsdale plaza 4 star and the marriotte in tempe for roughly 60 bucks a night each.

Theres alot of good info in this thread, and I would definitely wear a good hoody to the game, its at least 5 degrees colder in jobbing in comparison to the saddledome.
Thanks for the recommendation HuMz! It seems like the Phoenix area is a pretty common stop for Calgarians. I'm actually booked to be in Phoenix Feb 28-March 7. Can't wait!

Old
02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation HuMz! It seems like the Phoenix area is a pretty common stop for Calgarians. I'm actually booked to be in Phoenix Feb 28-March 7. Can't wait!
And for much of Western and French Canada as well.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:14 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Anyone know any good gun shops? Obviously I can't bring firearms over the border, but accessories are quite a bit cheaper in the US than they are in Canada. ?
http://scottsdalegunclub.com/
http://sgcusa.com/

Scottsdale Gun Club. Don't need to be a member to shop at the store. World famous. They rent full autos, all the way up to the M240. But you can also rent pretty much any handgun you are interested in and have at it as well.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
http://scottsdalegunclub.com/
http://sgcusa.com/

Scottsdale Gun Club. Don't need to be a member to shop at the store. World famous. They rent full autos, all the way up to the M240. But you can also rent pretty much any handgun you are interested in and have at it as well.
When I lived in Phoenix, I had a membership to shooters world off Thomas road and 28th ave. they had pretty good deals and a nice indoor range. I bought my glock 27le backup gun there for a good deal and have shot once in their range. Pretty snobby area though.

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
When I lived in Phoenix, I had a membership to shooters world off Thomas road and 28th ave. they had pretty good deals and a nice indoor range. I bought my glock 27le backup gun there for a good deal and have shot once in their range. Pretty snobby area though.
You mean Shooters World is a snobby place? I ask because based on my experence traveling around 27th Ave and Thomas Road most of what you find is ghetto except if you travel either North of West of the Loop 101.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You mean Shooters World is a snobby place? I ask because based on my experence traveling around 27th Ave and Thomas Road most of what you find is ghetto except if you travel either North of West of the Loop 101.
Yeah, shooters world is in a bad part of town, but as long as your going to a gun shop, you should be carrying the protection you need. The membership dues doubled and I left. Ben Avery is always a good place or the desert with a good back drop of course.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
I have never understood the purpose of gun ranges in Arizona. There are so many places to go in the wilderness to shoot guns, I never understood the point of paying to shoot. Maybe I am missing something, could one of you guys enlighten me?

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
I have never understood the purpose of gun ranges in Arizona. There are so many places to go in the wilderness to shoot guns, I never understood the point of paying to shoot. Maybe I am missing something, could one of you guys enlighten me?
Could it be that the law limits what can be done in thye desert? Also keep in mnind that Arizona has alot of lind that belongs to the Indian Tribes and that alone shooting a gun freely there is not allowed.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Could it be that the law limits what can be done in thye desert? Also keep in mnind that Arizona has alot of lind that belongs to the Indian Tribes and that alone shooting a gun freely there is not allowed.
That may be, but any national forest land and some BLM land is available, as long as a backdrop is present.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
doaner

Quote:
Personally, I enjoy shooting inside with the air conditioning. It's also nice since the targets are on electronic devices that you can move to the distance you want. I think it's all personal preference to be honest.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Controlled. Environment.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Brian Bleeding Blue

Are there any public roller hockey rinks anywhere in Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa? My online searches have only yielded one indoor place with limited drop-in hours and a fee.

Brian Bleeding Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bleeding Blue View Post
Are there any public roller hockey rinks anywhere in Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa? My online searches have only yielded one indoor place with limited drop-in hours and a fee.
You have 3 that I'm aware of.

1 - NYS (Peoria, Bell & 83rd ave I think, it's near Peoria Polar Ice)
2 - Barney's Sports Complex (Queen Creek, Ellsworth/QueenCreek)
3 - Castle Sports Club (North Phoenix, near Bethany Home Road and 17 Freeway)

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:19 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
I'm actually booked to be in Phoenix Feb 28-March 7. Can't wait!
So how is your trip going? We're having beautiful weather right now, so it is a great time to be here.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I advise against Castle for roller hockey, awful customer service the worst run leagues I have ever been a part of.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:23 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
That may be, but any national forest land and some BLM land is available, as long as a backdrop is present.
AP is right in that a lot of the land is restricted. But also when you do look for somewhere like BLM land the problem is it's very hard to be exactly sure if you are on BLM land or not. Our land map is like a checkerboard. It's much easier to shoot at a range if you live in the Phoenix area than in the desert. People north or south have an easier time in the wilderness since it's not as convoluted.

Also you don't have to worry about ATV riders crossing your path or something like that. Of course at the range you have to worry about a hundred possibly untrained crazies waving their loaded firearms in random directions without paying attention. There is goods and bads to both

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
AP is right in that a lot of the land is restricted. But also when you do look for somewhere like BLM land the problem is it's very hard to be exactly sure if you are on BLM land or not. Our land map is like a checkerboard. It's much easier to shoot at a range if you live in the Phoenix area than in the desert. People north or south have an easier time in the wilderness since it's not as convoluted.

Also you don't have to worry about ATV riders crossing your path or something like that. Of course at the range you have to worry about a hundred possibly untrained crazies waving their loaded firearms in random directions without paying attention. There is goods and bads to both
I do all my target shooting up north in the forests, I usually make it part of a well rounded camping trip. My last trip we had an AR15 (who doesn't have one of these), SKS, Glock G17, Taurus PT 100, Walther P22 and a Marlin 795. It's pretty easy to find a place to shoot up there. We just ride our ATV's into the middle of nowhere, find a good backdrop and start blasting away. The only kinda sucky part is locating all the spent shells but otherwise it's fun.

btw...the most fun to shoot was by far the SKS and the P22!!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
So how is your trip going? We're having beautiful weather right now, so it is a great time to be here.
The trip is going great! I'm having a really good time and the weather's been great. I understand it's snowing back home right now haha. Tomorrow's my last full day, so most of it will be spent hitting up stores and picking up last minute items before heading home. I think I hit up about 8 gun stores on this trip

There were some things I didn't get to do, but fortunately it sounds like my dad is going to be purchasing a place here (he's very big into golfing) so I will be making regular visits. My big priority was hitting a Coyotes game and I actually ended up going to two

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I already have a to-do list for my next visit.

Old
03-20-2012, 02:07 PM
PhoenixAvsFan

Well I guess I'll put this here because it doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Anyways, as you can tell, I'm an Avs fan, and I'll be at the game Thursday night. What I'd like to know, is where I should go to have the best opportunity to get autographs from the visiting teams. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PhoenixAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Typically the opposing players stay at the Renaissance next door to Jobing.com.

If you get there early at their "morning skate" as they walk over from the hotel, it is really easy to get them to sign.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
PhoenixAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Typically the opposing players stay at the Renaissance next door to Jobing.com.

If you get there early at their "morning skate" as they walk over from the hotel, it is really easy to get them to sign.
Great! Would you happen to know about what time that happens?

PhoenixAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote