HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Old
04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Ah, 2nd lowest. Who is lowest? Still, what this organization has done is something special. All those deferred payments will be off our books, and Hall and company will be able to see exactly what they are bringing in, and make roster moves based on that without digging the team into the hole it has been in because of previous years spend money, ask questions later. Kevin Towers is a genius.
Padres are and the dbacks are trying to get a new TV deal so they can keep some of these players long-term. Future looks bright again!

Speaking of a bright future, game one has 3 seats left and a few singles. Game two only has a few singles left and is pretty much sold out. Game 5 is off to a brisk start after just going on sale. I cant wait!

Last edited by Naurutger: 04-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:19 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I've been there. Few years ago, had no idea how to order, it was like a tax form or something.
I think I figured it out, but it's pretty weird. That can't possibly be any more efficient than simply having people give their order verbally, on account of new customers needing an explanation...

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 605
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
If you happen to be in North Phoenix, I must recomend my fav place to eat at. But be warned, You will wreck your toilet a few hours after. (So worth it)

http://chinobandido.com/
Holy crap, I love that place! Unusual concept, Fantastic food.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:25 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Padres are and the dbacks are trying to get a new TV deal so they can keep some of these players long-term. Future looks bright again!

Speaking of a bright future, game one has 3 seats left and a few singles. Game two only has a few singles left and is pretty much sold out. Game 5 is off to a brisk start after just going on sale. I cant wait!
Yep, I read that. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out with FSN. Dbacks could go the route of making their own network. I honestly wouldn't mind that.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

There is also a chino bandido in chandler. It's stoner food. Also amazing for the hungover. Great place to get fat. Love it.

04-12-2012, 08:02 AM
SweYote

Okay so I just found out my driver's license will not be valid in the states in time for this planned trip but it would be in time for round two if I waited. I can't decide if I should go anyway or wait for my license to be valid and hope there's a second round. How much of a downer do you think it is to not be able to drive on your trip to Arizona?

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Okay so I just found out my driver's license will not be valid in the states in time for this planned trip but it would be in time for round two if I waited. I can't decide if I should go anyway or wait for my license to be valid and hope there's a second round. How much of a downer do you think it is to not be able to drive on your trip to Arizona?
It depends on what your plans are. If you plan on just hanging around the Valley, there are other ways to get around, though driving is fairly efficient most of the time.

But, for exploring what else this glorious state has to offer, a car is a must.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:05 AM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurdocktor View Post
It depends on what your plans are. If you plan on just hanging around the Valley, there are other ways to get around, though driving is fairly efficient most of the time.

But, for exploring what else this glorious state has to offer, a car is a must.
I figured so. My plans are definitely to see more than just the Valley so I will stay and hope for a second round and if there is one I will go then. Thanks for the help!

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
So I just found out I'm moving to Phoenix at the beginning of June, just in time for the scorching heat of summer! (Joy.) I've got relatives in the area so I'm familiar with the town but need advice on commute times and where to look for an apartment.

I'll be working in Tempe on West Warner near I-10, just across the street from the Tempe sports complex. Ideally, I'd like a commute of 15-20 minutes or less, and I want to spend $1000 a month or less on a 1-2 bedroom apartment with that money including water, electric, cable and internet. I don't want to be hard by ASU because of the traffic issues plus while still in my 20s, I'm 28 and not 22 anymore. But I don't necessarily want to be in a neighborhood either - having close shopping and food would be great. I do like having a nicer apartment and bugs freak me out, so I'm willing to pay more than just the entry-level apartments.

What type of range geographically does that give me to look for an apartment and what are some of the neighborhoods to look in down there?

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

I use to live in south scottsdale in a town home for 750 a month two years ago. It was a two bedroom with a yard and it was through a private owner. Cant remember the name but it was near 85th pl and mcdowel. Lived there for about two years and most people rented from owners. Close enough to bike to school or five minute drive.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Kritter471

Is south Scottsdale close enough for a 15 minute commute to south Tempe though? I'd be going against traffic I guess. Stuff like that is hard to figure out using a map if you don't know the traffic patterns.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

South scottsdale is basically north tempe, one street up from the border actually. I was near hayden which turns into another road that passes by tempe market place. It would be plenty close but just what I have experienced. I now live in gilbert, dont move to gilbert.

Old
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Kritter471

Okay, I have half a clue then. I'll also look at south Scottsdale stuff.

I was looking at Tempe, Guadalupe (which I can't figure out if it's a neighborhood or a town) and Ahwatukee, which seems nice but a little more residential than I was hoping for. Gilbert and Mesa were on the original list but they seem a little further than I want to be, and you're not the first person to warn me away from Gilbert.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:48 AM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post

I'll be working in Tempe on West Warner near I-10, just across the street from the Tempe sports complex. Ideally, I'd like a commute of 15-20 minutes or less, and I want to spend $1000 a month or less on a 1-2 bedroom apartment with that money including water, electric, cable and internet.
I want a billion dollars. Doesn't mean I'm going to get it. In general, that area is ALL considered ASU territory. You may be pushed on price. Generally, 700 and under puts you into sketchy places. Cox charges something like at least $100 for basic cable and internet, plus another $100 for utilities minimum. The area of town you are looking at is a mix of old and new. Luckily enough, I'm an older ASU student and I went looking for a place near ASU once my lease was up, so I can probably give the most relevant info.

Quote:
I don't want to be hard by ASU because of the traffic issues plus while still in my 20s, I'm 28 and not 22 anymore. But I don't necessarily want to be in a neighborhood either - having close shopping and food would be great. I do like having a nicer apartment and bugs freak me out, so I'm willing to pay more than just the entry-level apartments.
http://www.cityscapeapartments.com/

I toured these and they were a clear step above everything else in the area. Lakeview, just across the street, is a joke by comparison. This would put you at Rural and Baseline, with easy access to the 101, 60 and 10. There's a whole foods and a ton of shopping right across from the apartments. There's also a Fresh & Easy right down the road. You can also pop over and up to Tempe Marketplace or over to Arizona Mills for shopping. It'd be a 5-10 minute commute max. Traffic is also nowhere near as bad south of the 60 as it is north, especially when ASU is in session.

For a little more $, you can try Mark Taylor. There's two properties right north of where you'd be working, right near the other one I recommended.

http://www.mark-taylor.com/arizona/san-palmilla/
http://www.mark-taylor.com/arizona/san-marquis/

South Scottsdale is too far. You'd be at the mercy of the highways rather than side streets. You'd also be driving through/near ASU all the time. Mesa and Gilbert are way too far, although you could go as far as just East of the 101 South. No one wants to live in the 'Guad.

If you want to step up even from that, you've got Grigio on the north side of Tempe town lake. Very nice. It would be pushing it commute wise, I guess, but would be worth it to be in the center of it all. Looks like they lowered their rates to compete with West Sixth, which is basically right on Mill and has become the de facto place for kids with money to go.

http://www.grigio.com/

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
http://www.cityscapeapartments.com/

I toured these and they were a clear step above everything else in the area. Lakeview, just across the street, is a joke by comparison. This would put you at Rural and Baseline, with easy access to the 101, 60 and 10. There's a whole foods and a ton of shopping right across from the apartments. There's also a Fresh & Easy right down the road. You can also pop over and up to Tempe Marketplace or over to Arizona Mills for shopping. It'd be a 5-10 minute commute max. Traffic is also nowhere near as bad south of the 60 as it is north, especially when ASU is in session.
I can't comment on the apartments but I lived in that neighborhood for many years and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I echo XX's sentiment that it's very convenient commuting wise as you're no more than a couple miles from the 3 major freeways in Phoenix area. I liked the area for it's vibe which was still youthful but mature as well. Also I will add that less than a mile away is also a Fry's Grocery, Albertson's and a Target.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
awfulwaffle

Not sure where to post this. I'll just post in both threads, this and the AZ Sports thread.

I'm an avid Miami Dolphins fan, as some of you may already know. I was curious, how difficult are Cardinals tickets to come by? The Dolphins are coming to Arizona on September 30th, and that is really the only time I would ever want to go to a Cardinals game. I'm a spoiled punk, and love to sit close to the action. I know they sell out their games. I'm just curious how far in advance I should look for single game tickets. Thanks!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:02 PM
XX
SOS

Depends on how well the team is doing. I bought Cards-Vikings tickets a few weeks in advance without any problems off stub hub. Keep in mind they can be expensive. I believe it was 5 or 600 for 2 club level seats after fees and parking.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Kritter471

Thanks for the advice. That apartment complex is a definite place to start. I wish they had one bedrooms available, but I'll call and see if they have any coming up soon. I've read some not-so-nice things about the Mark Taylor places but who the heck knows if they are legit complaints or just angry people on the internet.

I've also been impressed by a couple places around Papago Park right near where 202 and 143 come together. Would that push it to like a 30 minute commute probably? I've lived in DFW, so I know freeways can be a blessing or a curse. I feel like I'd be going against traffic so that might help, but I'm not that familiar with Phoenix traffic patterns either.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
I've read some not-so-nice things about the Mark Taylor places but who the heck knows if they are legit complaints or just angry people on the internet.
Never had a bad experience or known anyone who has. But definitely check out the staff before you rent.

Quote:
I've also been impressed by a couple places around Papago Park right near where 202 and 143 come together. Would that push it to like a 30 minute commute probably? I've lived in DFW, so I know freeways can be a blessing or a curse. I feel like I'd be going against traffic so that might help, but I'm not that familiar with Phoenix traffic patterns either.
I assume you are talking about the two Trillium properties. They are very nice and the staff there is top notch. Sotello is brand new. Not 30 minutes. You could take Priest or Hardy all the way down and be fine. Google maps says 20 minutes. I'd say less than that. Rural rd is the major one to avoid.

Edit: actually looks like Trillium sold off Sotelo. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...enix-sell.html

Old
04-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Kritter471

The ones I saw were the other side of Papago - Red Rox (ugh, the spelling- http://www.redroxapartments.com/home.html) and Alanza Place (http://www.alanzaplace.com/). And 20 minutes seems doable. Is that area up by the park safe enough in terms of neighborhood?

Old
04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
The ones I saw were the other side of Papago - Red Rox (ugh, the spelling- http://www.redroxapartments.com/home.html) and Alanza Place (http://www.alanzaplace.com/). And 20 minutes seems doable. Is that area up by the park safe enough in terms of neighborhood?
It's kind of borderline. The whole area is kind of underdeveloped industrial/light residential. It's basically right next to the airport, which is never good. I would recommend sticking south of Tempe town lake.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Kritter471

Thanks so much for all the help. I guess it makes sense that the cheaper things are in less desirable neighborhoods. Sad for me.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
I'll be working in Tempe on West Warner near I-10, just across the street from the Tempe sports complex.
You'll be working about a quarter mile from my office. I can give you all kinds of advice on the local restaurants, but not so much on apartments.

In addition to the areas XX recommended I would add there are a lot of nice neighborhoods to the East, SE and WSW of where you're working in Chandler and Ahwatukee. The major downside compared to the locations XX went through is they don't have as much of a central metro area access as the good Tempe locations do. Ahwatukee to the SW can be a pain to get in and out of on the I-10 during rush hours, but overall Chandler is relatively good on traffic.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the help. I guess it makes sense that the cheaper things are in less desirable neighborhoods. Sad for me.
All is not lost here.

1. Have you considered renting out a room in someones house or renting out a house? If so, Craigslist has plenty of listings.

2. Is Phoenix going to be the permenent location? If so, consider buying a house or condo now while the prices keep going down. I sure you can find a condo or a home in a great area from around the 100k - 200 k range and maybe lower than 100k.

For me personally, I got tired of living in places where I got tied down to a 3 month to 1 year lease. I rather stay at a place where you can come and leave when needed although sometimes the prices can be higher than if you sign a regular lease.

Look into one of those extended stay places or something like Value Place.
http://www.valueplace.com/

Note: Getting the right place at the right price may not get you to being close to work as possible but if you can find away to budget and still profit from traveling a distance, then why not?

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 04-19-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:49 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
2. Is Phoenix going to be the permenent location? If so, consider buying a house or condo now while the prices keep going down. I sure you can find a condo or a home in a great area from around the 100k - 200 k range and maybe lower than 100k.
If that is an option I would still suggest renting for 3-6 months before buying while you get acclimated to the valley. The metro area is a big sprawl with lots of variation. You'd be best served to take some time to pick a neighborhood you'd want to own a permanent residence in.

I haven't been shopping heavily lately, but I'm confident there are a lot of good condos available for less than 100k. 100k on a 30 year fixed at 4% would be less than $500/month. Figure escrow, taxes, insurance and HOA add another 150-200/month.

Valley is full of great permanent housing deals right now and probably will be for at least the next year or two, if not longer.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote