HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009/10 - Lines Discussion - (ES/PP/PK) - Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-23-2009, 12:44 AM
  #26
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BClanc159 View Post
Me too!

In fact, I refuse to start a franchise until JVR is on the team.
Flyers players always seem to have problems in the game. Last year, Parent had the wrong pic attached, there's still no pic of Giroux, and JVR is absent from Flyers and the AHL roster.
because he played for the phantoms for what? 2 games? lol

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 01:10 AM
  #27
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
because one rookie with zero nhl experience, another entering his first full year, and a smallish sniper who gets knocked off the puck easily is going to be very prone to getting scored on. i am not saying the line won't be good or better than a powe-giroux-briere. just that it is wishful thinking they will click as well as you say they will as soon as we would all like.
Wow, it's really easy to make anything look bad when you simplify it that much. Let me try. A #2 overall pick with very high potential, a fan-favorite that has displayed unreal vision and has been claimed to be the next Forsberg, and a PPG player that beefed up over the summer. See? I can over-simplify things too.

You also ignored my other point which completely refutes your point here. This is the whole point of having three scoring lines. There are no teams, to my memory, that can fully cover three potent scoring lines. Therefore, as a third line, they should be free to go on the attack a lot and score more then they get scored on. Both Giroux and JVR are defensively responsible. Both Giroux and Briere beefed up over the summer and JVR is a big guy.

I never said anything about me expecting them to score a lot. I just said that it's a potent scoring line. That's it. What is up with people not being able to comprehend my posts lately?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 01:15 AM
  #28
Clancy
Registered User
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cannon View Post
because he played for the phantoms for what? 2 games? lol
lol yeah i know but they're holding up my awesome franchise

Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 06:30 AM
  #29
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cannon View Post
because he played for the phantoms for what? 2 games? lol
Actually, 7

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 07:46 AM
  #30
Talbetts
Registered User
 
Talbetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
How about something like this?

gagne - richards - pyorala
hartnell - carter - briere
powe - giroux - jvr (too young?)
carcillo - betts - lappy
asham (rotates with lappy and carcillo depending on the night)

I like many of the lines that have been listed, but I wanted to try something a little different. Briere actually looked pretty good with Carter and Hartnell last night.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 07:49 AM
  #31
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
I have no problem with a line of JVR-Giroux-Briere, in fact it is what I want to see. Not EVERY line can be rock solid defensively. Chances are, a line with this much offensive skill will require the other team to use their best checking line on them, which probably refuses the need for them to even be that good defensively.

Putting JVR on this line and having presumably Pyro and Lappy on the top 2, makes those 2 lines VERY solid defensively. So again I state....not EVERY line can be rock solid defensively.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 08:40 AM
  #32
flyfan795
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Gagne - Richards - VanRiemsdyk
Hartnell - Carter - Powe
Carcillo - Giroux - Briere
Cote - Laperriere - Asham

flyfan795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 08:41 AM
  #33
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfan795 View Post
Gagne - Richards - VanRiemsdyk
Hartnell - Carter - Powe
Carcillo - Giroux - Briere
Cote - Laperriere - Asham
Betts will make the team.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 09:39 AM
  #34
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Based on the preseason play so far and reading between the lines with Stevens:

Gagne Richards Lappy
Hartnell Carter Pyorola
JVR Giroux Briere
Carcillo/Powe Betts Asham/Powe

I can see Carcillo Asham and Powe sharing sitting time until an injury at which time Powe is the first to move up to the top 3 lines.

I think the RW's on the top 3 lines aren't set yet, but the lefts seem to be.

For D
Pronger Carle
Timmonen Coburn
Parent Syvret
OKT

Jones has to go if JVR stays as far as I'm concered. It works but with zero wiggle room. Why give him 2.7 if Syvret can do it 2.2 less?

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
  #35
coda
 
coda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cumberland County NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
...just another hopefull lineup..

Gagne-Richards-JVR
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorola
Briere-Betts-Giroux
Carcillo-Asham-Powe

Timonen-Couburn
Pronger-Carle
Parent-Svret/Jones (I'd rather it be Svret, but Jones would provide a little more experience)

Ray Jay
Boooooooosh...

...I would love to have these lines...and I know I left Laperiere out...but, oh well...Its a good problem to have though...too much talent...

coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
  #36
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Jones has to go?

It's not that easy, he got a contract. You're all talking about shipping Jones one way or the other, but how on earth do you plan to get rid of him?

I don't think a trade is an option, his salary is simply too high compared to his skills. Put him on waivers, same thing, no team will pick him up because of this. I believe he got a one-way contract, they will not send him down with that kind of salary.

The point is, if no club is interested in his contract he will remain a Flyer this season, and then become a UFA next year. Of course buying him out is an option, but that will not save any $.

And if Jones stays, Syvret goes. There will simply not be any room for him unless they plan on 8 defensemen on the roster. But Holmgren said they only want 7.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 10:32 AM
  #37
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Jones has to go?

It's not that easy, he got a contract. You're all talking about shipping Jones one way or the other, but how on earth do you plan to get rid of him?

I don't think a trade is an option, his salary is simply too high compared to his skills. Put him on waivers, same thing, no team will pick him up because of this. I believe he got a one-way contract, they will not send him down with that kind of salary.

The point is, if no club is interested in his contract he will remain a Flyer this season, and then become a UFA next year. Of course buying him out is an option, but that will not save any $.

And if Jones stays, Syvret goes. There will simply not be any room for him unless they plan on 8 defensemen on the roster. But Holmgren said they only want 7.
I think if the Flyers want to improve, they gotta bite the bullet and send Jones down.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 10:33 AM
  #38
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Jones has to go?

It's not that easy, he got a contract. You're all talking about shipping Jones one way or the other, but how on earth do you plan to get rid of him?

I don't think a trade is an option, his salary is simply too high compared to his skills. Put him on waivers, same thing, no team will pick him up because of this. I believe he got a one-way contract, they will not send him down with that kind of salary.

The point is, if no club is interested in his contract he will remain a Flyer this season, and then become a UFA next year. Of course buying him out is an option, but that will not save any $.

And if Jones stays, Syvret goes. There will simply not be any room for him unless they plan on 8 defensemen on the roster. But Holmgren said they only want 7.
Several things wrong with this post.

I see no reason to believe they wouldn't pay Jones to play in the AHL if they had to. They've done it before for nearly the same cost with Gauthier.

Buying him out certainly DOES save money. 2/3 of his remaining salary over twice the remaining length of the deal. His salary is 3 million.

2/3 X 3 = 2 / (2X 1 year left) = 1 million a year for the next 2 years. A savings of 1.75 million on this years cap. Now, I think this would be a stupid idea. But it certainly does save money.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 10:51 AM
  #39
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Several things wrong with this post.

I see no reason to believe they wouldn't pay Jones to play in the AHL if they had to. They've done it before for nearly the same cost with Gauthier.

Buying him out certainly DOES save money. 2/3 of his remaining salary over twice the remaining length of the deal. His salary is 3 million.

2/3 X 3 = 2 / (2X 1 year left) = 1 million a year for the next 2 years. A savings of 1.75 million on this years cap. Now, I think this would be a stupid idea. But it certainly does save money.
I thought they need Jones to accept that, if not they have to stick to the contract or pay a full salary.

And Jones is not so bad they'll keep Syvret and let Jones play in the minors for 3 million dollars, sounds crazy

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 11:26 AM
  #40
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Why are you arguing about something that not only CAN be done but HAS been done. Not only has it been done, but it's been done by this team with this GM.

It wasn't done many years ago because the cap didn't exist so it didn't matter. Now it does. The fact Jones was the lone top guy out of the lineup is not a coincidence.

At least I hope so.

If it comes down to an option of keep JVR or keep Jones and the team feels that JVR is needed, then Jones will very likely be the one to go. There a re a lot of 10 minute per game defensemen out there and this team has at least 3 others who could do it right now.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
  #41
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Why are you arguing about something that not only CAN be done but HAS been done. Not only has it been done, but it's been done by this team with this GM.
What can be done and has been done?

I'm not arguing, I'm just stating the facts. There's only one possible exit for Jones if we want to save some money, another club must pick up his contract, or some buy-out deal. One thing is for sure, the Flyers will follow NHL rules and not violate his contract in any way.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 12:14 PM
  #42
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
What can be done and has been done?

I'm not arguing, I'm just stating the facts. There's only one possible exit for Jones if we want to save some money, another club must pick up his contract, or some buy-out deal. One thing is for sure, the Flyers will follow NHL rules and not violate his contract in any way.
There are 3 ways to get rid of Jones.
1)Trade him
2)Waive him. Which could result in someone picking him up for free, or he clears and we assign him to the AHL (would probably require he stays there the entire season...playoffs included).
3)Buy him out.

If JVR makes the team (which he should) cap is REALLY tight. Jones would be the only expendable player. There are plenty of reasons to move Jones and several ways of doing it. And I've been a Jones supporter.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 12:38 PM
  #43
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I would like to see a Carcillo-Powe-Asham energy line at some point. we could call it CA-Powe!

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 12:49 PM
  #44
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
If JVR makes the team (which he should) cap is REALLY tight. Jones would be the only expendable player. There are plenty of reasons to move Jones and several ways of doing it. And I've been a Jones supporter.
I agree, moving Jones looks like the best option.

But again, keep this in mind, we're actually stuck with Jones if no club wants his contract. And he can't be picked up for free, according to NHL rules the new club must accept his current contract and salary. That's the problem. And buying him out for less than his remaining salary is only possible if Jones agrees.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
  #45
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I agree, moving Jones looks like the best option.

But again, keep this in mind, we're actually stuck with Jones if no club wants his contract. And he can't be picked up for free, according to NHL rules the new club must accept his current contract and salary. That's the problem. And buying him out for less than his remaining salary is only possible if Jones agrees.
read the first part of post #42, not just the last paragraph. There are 3 ways to get rid of Jones or any other overpaid player. The second seems like a very possible option at this point.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
  #46
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
per a Flyers source on twitter

Quote:
"The Flyers have just traded a defensive prospect to make contract limit room. Trying to find out who."

"D-Patrik Hersley to Nashville for future considerations."

"Releasing Hersley's contract could mean the Flyers will ink Blair Betts in the near future."
BETTS!!!!! I hope so!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
  #47
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
read the first part of post #42, not just the last paragraph. There are 3 ways to get rid of Jones or any other overpaid player. The second seems like a very possible option at this point.
You seem to have no idea how this works. What club do you think wants this overpaid player and pay his salary then? If the answer is none, then trade/waive will not work.

A possible way is to put Jones in a trade along with a top player. NYR did something like this. The Jackets wanted a good D in Fedor Tyutin, but to get him they had to accept Cristian Backmans contract too, a pretty bad overpaid D similar to Jones. It was the only way NYR could get rid of Backman.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 05:49 PM
  #48
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
What are future considerations? I've never understood that.
The polite way of saying "nothing".

Some D man traded to Nashville for nothing.

Sometimes teams call "favors". Either we owed Nashville, or Nashville owed us. I think Nashville helped us out a bit here.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 05:50 PM
  #49
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,749
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
per a Flyers source on twitter



BETTS!!!!! I hope so!
i think this means the end of Cote...or even better Jones, but most likely Cote

cause if JVR makes the team, according to Timmmaaaayyyy, his cap hit is $875k, and signing Betts will probably cost us $500k, giving us about $200k in cap room, which isn't enough. waiving Cote give us about $750k in cap room, but doesn't include a 13th forward. What about Pyorala too? He's played good enough to earn a spot on the team

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:12 AM
  #50
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...-cap-casualty?

Highlights:
- Jones may get waived
- Cote may see diminished tome but is "an integral part of the team"
- Stevens likes Carcillo - Powe - Lapierre for 4th line

Gags - Cannon - Junior VaRsity
Fartsmell - Carts - Pyro
Smash 'em - What's His Name - Whatever Briere's nickname is
Chico Carbombs - Boom Boom - Lappy5000

But where does Betts go, and what is Betts' nickname?
Could we lose Chico Carbombs or Smash 'em?

Oh the possibilities.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.