HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kyle Turris

Old
09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Geese_Howard*

vCash: 500
Kyle Turris

What's up with him? I have not heard much about him, he had alot of hype and it seems as though he's fallen off the map.

Will he make the team this year?

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
What's up with him? I have not heard much about him, he had alot of hype and it seems as though he's fallen off the map.

He has already been sent to the AHL i believe so he wont be starting the year with Phoenix.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post

He should be going into his sophomore year at Wisco. Or maybe heading over the the WHL for a season. Instead, he's going to be playing in San Antonio. He was rushed to the NHL and was not physically mature enough for it. He still is not. The talent is clearly there, he just isn't physically capable of displaying it on a consistant basis against NHL players. He did quite well in his brief time in the AHL last season. Hopefully he'll have a break out season down there, and will be ready for the NHL at some point this season, or at least by the begining of next season. He needs to get his confidence up. That and his muscle mass. I really think everything else is there.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He should be going into his sophomore year at Wisco. Or maybe heading over the the WHL for a season. Instead, he's going to be playing in San Antonio. He was rushed to the NHL and was not physically mature enough for it. He still is not. The talent is clearly there, he just isn't physically capable of displaying it on a consistant basis against NHL players. He did quite well in his brief time in the AHL last season. Hopefully he'll have a break out season down there, and will be ready for the NHL at some point this season, or at least by the begining of next season. He needs to get his confidence up. That and his muscle mass. I really think everything else is there.
I agree. All the natural talent needed to be a prominent player, but he should have stayed in school.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 04:30 PM
daethfromabove1979

that was some horrible development on the coyotes part.. he goes from junior A and 35 games in the NCAA to the NHL.. i hope he has a good year in the AHL and that this all hasn't set him back too much

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 04:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by daethfromabove1979 View Post
that was some horrible development on the coyotes part.. he goes from junior A and 35 games in the NCAA to the NHL.. i hope he has a good year in the AHL and that this all hasn't set him back too much
They made a mistake. They've admitted it. Now, they are doing the best they can to correct it. The Coyotes added a lot of veteren players at the deadline and during the off-season. A lot of the rookies that were rushed to the NHL last season will be in the AHL this season. Some of the younger guys that were on the squad last season with bigger roles than they could handle will have far less pressure this season. I'm not saying we added a bunch of all-stars or anything but guys like Upshall, Lombardi, Prucha, Pyatt, Vrbata, Fiddler, ect. have all been in the league a while. They're veterens. They'll push kids like Turris and Tikhonov to the AHL.

San Antonio should be stacked, this season. Guys like Turris, Tikhonov, Porter, Kolarik, MacLean, ect. should really rip it up down there. The Coyotes have never before had a strong farm system. This is the first time in our history. We've got a great head coach in Greg Ireland, too. He had a lot of succes coaching Grand Rapids for Detroit a few years back. It should be a great situation for Kyle down there. Obviously AHLers are big and strong too, but the game is slower and Kyle should have more time and space to operate because of it. I still have a ton of faith in him. I think it's going to work out for him before it's all said and done. People were writing off Bobby Ryan, too. All he needed was some time and patience.

Old
09-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Big Daddy

I never understood why he didn't go to the Giants at 18. He had to know he wouldn't be at Wisconsin for 4 years so whats the point? As a skinny 18 year old he could have developed and had success and learn the pro style game in Vancouver for 2 years and probably step right into Phoenix this year.

I know his parents were both graduates and athletes but I think this was a bad decision. He has no diploma and is still battling the pro game.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 06:03 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
They made a mistake. They've admitted it. Now, they are doing the best they can to correct it. The Coyotes added a lot of veteren players at the deadline and during the off-season. A lot of the rookies that were rushed to the NHL last season will be in the AHL this season. Some of the younger guys that were on the squad last season with bigger roles than they could handle will have far less pressure this season. I'm not saying we added a bunch of all-stars or anything but guys like Upshall, Lombardi, Prucha, Pyatt, Vrbata, Fiddler, ect. have all been in the league a while. They're veterens. They'll push kids like Turris and Tikhonov to the AHL.

San Antonio should be stacked, this season. Guys like Turris, Tikhonov, Porter, Kolarik, MacLean, ect. should really rip it up down there. The Coyotes have never before had a strong farm system. This is the first time in our history. We've got a great head coach in Greg Ireland, too. He had a lot of succes coaching Grand Rapids for Detroit a few years back. It should be a great situation for Kyle down there. Obviously AHLers are big and strong too, but the game is slower and Kyle should have more time and space to operate because of it. I still have a ton of faith in him. I think it's going to work out for him before it's all said and done. People were writing off Bobby Ryan, too. All he needed was some time and patience.
There's a big difference though, Ryan wasn't rushed into the NHL, he played four years of junior and then a year+ of AHL hockey before he was NHL ready and the results were magnificent. Turris isn't quite as skilled as Ryan but he's also had a much different development path, and of course he hasn't had the perk of having an NHl calibre body since draft day like Ryan did.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I never understood why he didn't go to the Giants at 18. He had to know he wouldn't be at Wisconsin for 4 years so whats the point? As a skinny 18 year old he could have developed and had success and learn the pro style game in Vancouver for 2 years and probably step right into Phoenix this year.

I know his parents were both graduates and athletes but I think this was a bad decision. He has no diploma and is still battling the pro game.
Wisco's strength training and conditioning programs are renowned. A lighter game schedule provides for more time in the gym, too. The problem is that Kyle got mono(I think that's what it was) and lost something like ten pounds. He needed at least another year at Wisco. Then, maybe a year with the Giants, just for the home town fun of it.

Old
09-24-2009, 07:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
There's a big difference though, Ryan wasn't rushed into the NHL, he played four years of junior and then a year+ of AHL hockey before he was NHL ready and the results were magnificent. Turris isn't quite as skilled as Ryan but he's also had a much different development path, and of course he hasn't had the perk of having an NHl calibre body since draft day like Ryan did.
They were raw for different reasons. Kyle was underweight. Ryan was overweight and had to work on the game from a mental standpoint.

Anyway, anytime Turris goes against peers(or even guys close to his age) he is awesome. I'm not worried about him. I really like San Antonio and Greg Ireland's staff. Dave Tippett should have a great staff in Phoenix with the addition of Dave King to Ulf Samuelsson and Dough Sulliman. So I think Turris is in good hands in either league. He's put up great stats in his short stint in the AHL, and he's going to have a TON of talent to work with down there. This year should be great for him.

Old
09-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Konk

Quote:
They were raw for different reasons. Kyle was underweight. Ryan was overweight and had to work on the game from a mental standpoint.
Ryan had the body though, all he had to do was drop weight and get his conditioning together. Turris just doesn't have the body. He won't be able to add much muscle to his frame, unfortunately. He will always be one of the weakest guys on the ice, he just needs to learn how to play around that. If he can't, he won't make it. I've been saying it since his college days.

Some guys just can't add the muscle they need in order to compete. I know you won't like this opinion being a Coyotes fan, but Kyle is one of them. You can point to his mono and many other factors, but plenty of guys have gone through the same things and don't have Kyle's issues with adding strength/weight.

Now I don't want you to come away with the impression that I think he's a bust, because he's obviously not yet it's too early to say that. But I really think he needs to change the way he plays the game, because he's too frail and will continue to be overpowered at the NHL level unless he becomes a little more elusive or starts using D-Bol.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Some guys just can't add the muscle they need in order to compete. I know you won't like this opinion being a Coyotes fan, but Kyle is one of them. You can point to his mono and many other factors, but plenty of guys have gone through the same things and don't have Kyle's issues with adding strength/weight.
Pure speculation. People mature at different ages, and Kyle looks like he's twelve. Maybe he'll fill out when he starts shaving. Bruce Turris has legs like tree trunks. His mom, an ex track athlete, has a built lower body, too. So Kyle some how got screwed by the gene pool, enough to be an elite athlete in his age group, but not enough to fill out his frame with some extra muscle? Yeah, I don't think so. He weighs 180lbs right now. He's claiming 190, but I don't buy it. He's twenty years old. How much do you have to weigh in the NHL? I'd say he'll be more than fine with an extra ten pounds. He's gained ten pounds every summer since the draft. It's just the one year he lost it early on in the season. You don't think he'll be able to gain another ten pounds in the next year or two? He's got strength and conditioning coaches, dieticians, and plenty of motivation. Motivation to the tune of millions of dollars, in fact. Plus he's an athlete and a dedicated individual. It's absurd to think that he'll just NEVER add another ten pounds of muscle, at only twenty years of age. Absurd.

Old
09-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Konk

Quote:
Pure speculation. People mature at different ages, and Kyle looks like he's twelve. Maybe he'll fill out when he starts shaving. Bruce Turris has legs like tree trunks. His mom, an ex track athlete, has a built lower body, too. So Kyle some how got screwed by the gene pool, enough to be an elite athlete in his age group, but not enough to fill out his frame with some extra muscle? Yeah, I don't think so. He weighs 180lbs right now. He's claiming 190, but I don't buy it. He's twenty years old. How much do you have to weigh in the NHL? I'd say he'll be more than fine with an extra ten pounds. He's gained ten pounds every summer since the draft. It's just the one year he lost it early on in the season. You don't think he'll be able to gain another ten pounds in the next year or two? He's got strength and conditioning coaches, dieticians, and plenty of motivation. Motivation to the tune of millions of dollars, in fact. Plus he's an athlete and a dedicated individual. It's absurd to think that he'll just NEVER add another ten pounds of muscle, at only twenty years of age. Absurd.
Let's put it this way -- there are other kids out there his age that are 180/190, what he's listed at, and they don't get manhandled like he does.

Old
09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Let's put it this way -- there are other kids out there his age that are 180/190, what he's listed at, and they don't get manhandled like he does.
He was drafted at 160. He was 170 early on at Wisco, and had dropped back down to 160 before the season ended(due to illness). Last year he was listed at 180. I believe he was 170. This year he's listed at 190. I believe he's 180. He's gained ten pounds each summer since he's been drafted, and he looks like he's barely hit puberty. He's 6'1'' and has a ton of room on his frame. His dad is a solidly built guy and Turris as about as much professional help as money can buy to get him where he wants to be, physically. That and all the desire in the world. He can gain ten or fifteen more pounds. He's just a kid. Of course he can. That's all he needs to gain. He'll gain it. I have ZERO doubt about that.

Old
09-25-2009, 12:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Now, having said that, and more to your main point, yes, he may need to make some adjustments to his game. I kind of just chose one thing you wrote that I disagreed with and went off on a tangent. Yeah, I think some adjustments do need to be made. I think the AHL is a good place to do that. It's as close as you can get to the NHL, style-wise, but a player with his skill will have more time and space to figure things out, a little bit. It should be good for him.

Old
09-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Konk

Quote:
He was drafted at 160. He was 170 early on at Wisco, and had dropped back down to 160 before the season ended(due to illness). Last year he was listed at 180. I believe he was 170. This year he's listed at 190. I believe he's 180. He's gained ten pounds each summer since he's been drafted, and he looks like he's barely hit puberty. He's 6'1'' and has a ton of room on his frame. His dad is a solidly built guy and Turris as about as much professional help as money can buy to get him where he wants to be, physically. That and all the desire in the world. He can gain ten or fifteen more pounds. He's just a kid. Of course he can. That's all he needs to gain. He'll gain it. I have ZERO doubt about that.
That's not always true.

I'm in the profession of personal training and not everyone is built to add as much muscle as they want. Some people have an incredibly difficult time adding/maintaining above a certain point without supplements. A lot of these just so happen to be illegal.

Let's just say though, again, if he really is 180 right now, he's being thrown around like he's 160 still. I tend to believe his 6'1'' 180 lbs listing is exaggerated by an inch and 10 lbs still. I haven't personally seen him since he's been with Phoenix, but I've seen him in person when he was with Wisconsin and he's a scrawny kid. If his parents are built, he completely missed those genes. His body is working against him and the way he plays isn't helping either.

The theory that everyone physically matures at a different age is also a bit naive. For the average male, it's typically around Turris' age now and to think he's all-of-the-sudden going to mature into more than the scrawny kid he is now in a couple of years is blind hope. The best he can hope for is to add and keep some bulk through rigorous off season training. Even then, he really needs to change the way he plays the game so that's not the only thing that's stopping him. I also really don't know if staying in college would've helped him. He may have been better off in the WHL from the start and I'm a fan of college hockey.