HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Marketing/promotional idea... if the team stays

Old
09-04-2009, 04:29 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

vCash: 500
Marketing/promotional idea... if the team stays

Okay, so here's a theoretical suggestion for a way to drive non-hardcores to see Coyotes' games if the team is not relocated.

This idea may seem laughable to "real" fans in "real" markets, but at this point we're beyond the point of having to apologize for the infamous vodka tickets.

My suggestion is for the new owner to either set aside his own money or find a corporate sponsor to put up $100,000 for the season. That's enough to create a "Funds for Fans" promotion.

At every home game, one fan in attendance will be selected to win $2,500. The winner will be picked as a random seat number from a sold ticket. The catch is, the fan has to be there in attendance - if the person buys the ticket but doesn't show up he/she doesn't win and the money rolls over into the prize fund. The worst odds anyone would have of winning the cash would be 1 in 17,653.

Whaddya think?

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
XX
... Waiting

Lets just win instead. Best bang for your buck.

Ask zee Cardinals.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:46 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Lets just win instead. Best bang for your buck.

Ask zee Cardinals.
You'll forgive me... but I think it'll be a miracle if we have a season like the Cards had last year.

I think we're going to be closer to the preseason they're having.

Old
09-04-2009, 04:48 PM
52G228PIM*

Why don't we just ask the Lotto for a bail out.. I have heard of your more desperate teams resorting to such things..

52G228PIM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Okay, so here's a theoretical suggestion for a way to drive non-hardcores to see Coyotes' games if the team is not relocated.

This idea may seem laughable to "real" fans in "real" markets, but at this point we're beyond the point of having to apologize for the infamous vodka tickets.

My suggestion is for the new owner to either set aside his own money or find a corporate sponsor to put up $100,000 for the season. That's enough to create a "Funds for Fans" promotion.

At every home game, one fan in attendance will be selected to win $2,500. The winner will be picked as a random seat number from a sold ticket. The catch is, the fan has to be there in attendance - if the person buys the ticket but doesn't show up he/she doesn't win and the money rolls over into the prize fund. The worst odds anyone would have of winning the cash would be 1 in 17,653.

Whaddya think?
Oooh I'd have 41 chances .. ummm can we win more than once?

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I like the idea but I think the odds are too small to have any real impact on getting anyone out there. I'd like to see cheaper giveaways to more people as well as something that can get people talking about it. Thinking....

Edit: I do want to make clear I like where Zyllyx is trying to head though!

Last edited by Sinurgy: 09-04-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:33 PM
BGDDYKWL

It's very gimmicky, and it would further worsen the Yotes image around the league, but there's no question it would put butts in the seats.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's very gimmicky, and it would further worsen the Yotes image around the league, but there's no question it would put butts in the seats.
First off, **** what everyone else thinks! If it's one thing I've learned in this whole process it's that no one gives a rats ass about the Yotes so why should we care about others stupid opinions! I also don't think it'd put butts in the seats at all. Who is really going to go clear out there for a 1 in 17000 chance at winning $2500? Maybe if it does the rollover thing 10 times in a row, then I can see it but otherwise I don't think it'd do anything for attendance. Just my two cents of course.

Old
09-04-2009, 05:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
You'll forgive me... but I think it'll be a miracle if we have a season like the Cards had last year.

I think we're going to be closer to the preseason they're having.
It was a miracle that the Cards had a season like that, last year.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If I won the twenty five hundo, I'd spend it on season tickets!

Old
09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think the Yotes need to get into the minds of valley sports fans in general. So how about a Valley Sports VIP promotion. Something like 2 front row seats on the 50yd line to a Cardinals game, 2 floor seats to a Suns game, 2 1st row seats by 1st base to the Dbacks and 2 seats on the glass to a Coyotes game. They could do this every home game and still should be under the $100,000 budget.

That wouldn't really address the odds of winning issue but it seems like a promotion that would really give people a reason to talk. Not to mention, assuming a normal game (meaning no unusual comebacks or plays of the year type stuff), I'd be interested in how well the average Joe would think of an NHL game on the glass vs. the other sports premiere seats. I'm betting they would find it pretty damn amazing! Put them on the attack twice near a corner where all the hits, scrums and dump ins occur. lol...I still remember the first time I sat on the glass, I was like new money down there. Every time the puck would hit the glass I'd duck!

Old
09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Car Washes
Get every school district in the state to do a field trip to a hockey game!
Make Wayne Gretzky go door to door and handout free tickets at his expense.

I can't think of anything good!
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We need to cross promote with the Cards. Try to convert some football fans. Maybe offer their STHs free Coyotes tickets. Clearly they are sports fans, already, and clearly they're willing to drive to Glendale. I don't know, there are probably a ton of ways to try and cash in on their new found popularity. We need to try and exploit every one we can.

It's certainly in the best interest of the Cards to make sure that jobing.com arena isn't deserted.

Old
09-04-2009, 06:34 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I think the Yotes need to get into the minds of valley sports fans in general. So how about a Valley Sports VIP promotion. Something like 2 front row seats on the 50yd line to a Cardinals game, 2 floor seats to a Suns game, 2 1st row seats by 1st base to the Dbacks and 2 seats on the glass to a Coyotes game. They could do this every home game and still should be under the $100,000 budget.
Honestly? I'd rather have the money. Times are tough financially, and with $2500 I could probably get the tickets and still have some left over...

Old
09-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Honestly? I'd rather have the money. Times are tough financially, and with $2500 I could probably get the tickets and still have some left over...
That's not the point though. If you won the money you almost certainly wouldn't spend it on premiere seating. If the goal is to save people money then how about just give $100 to 25 random people and call it The Game is On Us promotion or something.

Old
09-04-2009, 06:56 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
That's not the point though. If you won the money you almost certainly wouldn't spend it on premiere seating. If the goal is to save people money then how about just give $100 to 25 random people and call it The Game is On Us promotion or something.
Because people aren't going to drive out to the Job for $100. But they would for $2,500 - or more depending on the rollover.

The point isn't to just get fans of other Valley teams to the Coyotes' games. The danger in doing that is that fans of other sports are more apt to have built-in prejudices against other sports. Some of those folks are the idiots who post anti-Coyotes crap on AZCentral.

The way I have it set up, it targets EVERYONE - particularly folks who may not usually go to sporting events who might be inspired by the action of a hockey game. The odds are WAY better than even a small lottery win. And given the current Coyote ticket prices, even a lower-level seat could be a good investment if you end up winning the bucks.

Old
09-04-2009, 07:11 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:

Whaddya think?
You're on the right track for several reasons...

1) This team will need to "Think outside the box" (As much as I hate that phrase) and come up with ways to market this team.

2) While I know & like a lot of the guys, a 6-8th place finish in the West is a stretch so winning alone will not put people in the seats.

3) You're also right, the rest of the league doesn't give a rats @$$ about us, until we make money. It's funny we were criticized about the "All you can eat" promotion, but other teams are now doing it in MLB.

Something they did last year in St. Louis was a "Pay your mortage" promotion. This was before the all-star break while they were sucking.

Ultimately, the on ice product needs to produce, but until then gimmicks work. Just look at "Cash for Clunkers" in the automobile industry.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Because people aren't going to drive out to the Job for $100. But they would for $2,500 - or more depending on the rollover.
Agree on the first point but I don't think anyone is going to for $2500 either, especially with such paltry odds.

Quote:
The point isn't to just get fans of other Valley teams to the Coyotes' games. The danger in doing that is that fans of other sports are more apt to have built-in prejudices against other sports. Some of those folks are the idiots who post anti-Coyotes crap on AZCentral.
No it's not but I think it benefits the Coyotes to attempt to get into the conversation of valley sports. Right now it's more like they are some fringe team with at best a cult following. I'm not suggesting you target other sports fans per say, after all they'd have to have been at a Coyote game to have won in the first place. What I'd like to see happen is a Coyote fan win the package, go to the other games where they can conversate with their neighbors about how they won the tickets, which game is best live (I'm hoping the Coyotes of course) and of course just throw in some plugs about the Coyotes in general. Then hopefully those people will get curious about the Coyotes themselves and attend some games or at least chat it up at the water cooler. It sounds stupid but the Coyotes need to become part of that water cooler talk!

As for the posters on AZCentral, please never mention them again. %90 of those people are ****ing morons regardless of the article in question! Only place I've seen dumber opinions is Youtube.

Quote:
The way I have it set up, it targets EVERYONE - particularly folks who may not usually go to sporting events who might be inspired by the action of a hockey game. The odds are WAY better than even a small lottery win. And given the current Coyote ticket prices, even a lower-level seat could be a good investment if you end up winning the bucks.
The odds being better than a small lottery win is irrelevant, 1 in 17500 is still very very crappy odds. Hell I'd play Russian Roulette if the revolver had 1 bullet and 17500 chambers!

Old
09-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Switching gears a bit...how about create a "student section" at the game. Then offer some sort of park and ride to the game from ASU. It gets younger people to the game, allows them to drink and not drive and could provide some fun and raucous atmosphere at the games.

Old
09-04-2009, 07:39 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

I think this thread is great. I think they need to go after the Rattler fans and Roadrunner fans. Those teams went under and they will probably be leary of buying seaon tickets in our current situation but they might come check us out.

Also, as much as I hate game time gimmicks they need to get a better DJ at the games. Too often during down time the DJ is asleep at the wheel and they don't start the pump up song until the puck is about to drop. They need pay attention and get the place rockin'. I don't need all that extra stuff but the casual fan does.

They also need to try and steal some of those Suns fans that go to the games just to be seen. The Suns are going to have some down years and the place will empty out, we need to win and get those people to our games.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We need to get Upshall, Lombardi, and Pyatt on the local morning news talk shows. Get some housewives to the games. Puck bunnies are paying customers, too, right?

Old
09-04-2009, 08:11 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
We need to get Upshall, Lombardi, and Pyatt on the local morning news talk shows. Get some housewives to the games. Puck bunnies are paying customers, too, right?
Hey, whatever works. I was being serious and when I think of most of the diehards that I know they are girls. I am a sports fan and like hockey for that reason but I know a lot of girls that go to the games (yes paying customers) because the guys are hot and nice guys.

I even remember that your girlfriend would go to games with you and really liked Ballard. Again, whatever works!

Old
09-04-2009, 08:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wasn't kidding either. That girlfriend isn't the only girl I know that fell in love with hockey because of a crush on a player. Oh, and she wasn't the only one with a crush on Ballard. I'm the one who bought the tickets. HAHA!

Maybe this guy will move here and buy season tickets...

Old
09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
PHX FireBirds18

He kind of reminds me of the kid from the Hamilton rally that someone decided to use as an avatar.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:41 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I wasn't kidding either. That girlfriend isn't the only girl I know that fell in love with hockey because of a crush on a player. Oh, and she wasn't the only one with a crush on Ballard. I'm the one who bought the tickets. HAHA!

Maybe this guy will move here and buy season tickets...

But if more guys would bring their girlfriends then they could go more often and buy more tickets.

Then the girls get hooked and when the relationship ends they still go to the games. Then there are single girls there and more guys come out for the girls...bam Suns model to get buts in the seats....